Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

And that, sir, is what makes you a mouth breathing, airplane dip spitting, retard.

Blaming the OL is incredibly lazy, and you know it. I never hear the argument that Sam played behind a bad OL - only Shane.  Either way, I don’t buy that as a major factor in either’s lack of success. 

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas had 4 offensive possessions in the second half.

1st possession -

Sam is 2/2 for 6 yards.  A couple of good Keontay runs net 17 yards to get Texas to the TEX 43 yard line

3rd & 8  Kansas St. blitzes and Sam completes a pass to Duvernay (hot route) for a gain of 5.  Punt on 4th down.

2nd possession - 

Sam is 5/5 for 51 yds and drives Texas down to the KSU 30yd line.

3rd & 7 Sam throws a ball about a yard past the first down marker and 5 yards short of where Johnson had run to.  I have no idea if Sam was confused on what route Johnson was running or if he just decided to throw the ball to no one.  Dicker misses the FG

3rd possession - 

Sam is 3/3 for 18 yards.  Keontay runs once for 12 yards.  Daniel Young runs for a loss of two yards on 2nd and 5.

3rd & 7 Sams throws a pass to Collin Johnson that looks similar to the third down pass he threw on the previous series (and possibly the route he thought Johnson was going to run).  Regardless this ball is too far outside.  Johnson dives for it but it bounces off his outstretched hands.  Texas punts.

4th possession - 

Sam is 2/2 for 17 yards - including a 12 yard pass to Colin Johnson on 3rd and 10.  Enhlinger runs for 12 yards on another 3rd & 10 to give Texas a fresh set of downs and the ability to run out the clock.  

In the second half Ehlinger was 13-15 passing for 97 yards.

so if I understand your post here, you agree with 6th street?

50 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

Sam, IMO, has pro potential.....exactly like Tim Tebow. Enough said.....

So you think that he’ll be good calling games on TV?

Also, pretty sure Sam fucks, so he’s not going to get the FCA crowd sucking him off. 

4 minutes ago, hornian said:

So you think that he’ll be good calling games on TV?

Also, pretty sure Sam fucks, so he’s not going to get the FCA crowd sucking him off. 

At this point in a QBs career, how much can accuracy truly improve?  A percentage point or two?  Mechanics and footwork. What kind of gains can you expect by teaching new muscle memory after so many years (can’t fix Tebow). 

If Sam can graduate from a decent scrambler to a real running threat he won’t need much more accuracy to win a lot of college games. 

Needs to talk to Major and ask about the deep ball “punt” he was so damn good at, arm strength be damned. 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Blaming the OL is incredibly lazy, and you know it. I never hear the argument that Sam played behind a bad OL - only Shane.  Either way, I don’t buy that as a major factor in either’s lack of success. 

i just want to try saying it to see how i feel:

OL play doesn't impact a QB's success.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

This is the first year I can recall in quite sometime that our OL isn’t a big pile of steaming shit in pass pro

16 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Yeah I don't know what the point is.  It's clear that he's our best option right now.  When there's a better QB option and Sam is still starting I'll bitch.  When Sam is throwing games away I'll bitch.  The need to make everyone agree that Sam sucks is bizarre.  He's better than he was last year.  I don't think that's debatable, although I'm sure Derka will post a graph demonstrating how he's regressed.  I don't think he'll ever be elite.  I don't think post season awards are in his future, but it's still early in his career.  He can get better.  He can also start to suck and at some point get replaced by Cam.  Who knows.  He's the best QB we've had since Ash so for now I'll take it.  

16 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

The "where he went to high school" shit is just stupid.  If he can't play, he won't play.  If he is not the best option, he will be replaced.  Those are basic football concepts.  He has played well enough on a team that has won four in a row.   Until he loses again, it is all fucking noise.  

15 hours ago, VaHorn said:

Ctj has never made a single cogent post about a QB. But there is a method to his madness.  Eventually Sam will have a truly horrid game, which will give Ctj the chance to do a victory lap and post more inane drivel. But your point will remain. Until someone overtakes him, Sam is the best option we have. 

Yeah, this unwavering belief that if the guy is playing then he's the best option seems pretty myopic.

Kyle Porter led our team in running back carries last year. Now I was never a big fan of Chris Warren's effort and Daniel Young was a true freshman, but Kyle Porter should not have led our team in carries.

Andrew Beck splits out in our 5 wide set instead of an actual receiving threat.

On the most crucial drive of the game against Maryland this year, we put in Kyle Porter instead of Tre Watson.

We are still asking Jerrod Heard to execute the crucial block on WR screens. I had high hopes for Heard when he moved to receiver, but he has proven over the course of multiple seasons that he either can't or won't block.

Now believe me, I don't think Buechele is the answer, especially in this offense. I said as much on shaggy. But let's stop with this silly notion that the coaching staff always makes the best personnel decision they can make.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, this unwavering belief that if the guy is playing then he's the best option seems pretty myopic.

Kyle Porter led our team in running back carries last year. Now I was never a big fan of Chris Warren's effort and Daniel Young was a true freshman, but Kyle Porter should not have led our team in carries.

Andrew Beck splits out in our 5 wide set instead of an actual receiving threat.

On the most crucial drive of the game against Maryland this year, we put in Kyle Porter instead of Tre Watson.

We are still asking Jerrod Heard to execute the crucial block on WR screens. I had high hopes for Heard when he moved to receiver, but he has proven over the course of multiple seasons that he either can't or won't block.

Now believe me, I don't think Buechele is the answer, especially in this offense. I said as much on shaggy. But let's stop with this silly notion that the coaching staff always makes the best personnel decision they can make.

I don’t think it’s even close but it sounds like you disagree which is fine. Who do you choose to start the next game and support your decision. You haven’t seen the freshman play recently and certainly haven’t seen them under fire

just because I believe Sam is the best option starting at QB right now doesn’t mean I’d support every such decision. I want no part of Porter playing and didn’t like him starting last year.  Your argument that I want Sam stArting is only because Herman wants him is false. 

I don’t think it’s even close but it sounds like you disagree which is fine. Who do you choose to start the next game and support your decision. You haven’t seen the freshman play recently and certainly haven’t seen them under fire
just because I believe Sam is the best option starting at QB right now doesn’t mean I’d support every such decision. I want no part of Porter playing and didn’t like him starting last year.  Your argument that I want Sam stArting is only because Herman wants him is false. 
I never said that was your argument, stop being so defensive. Yours was included as it was kind of the start of that discussion. The other two said that if he's starting then he's the best option. You explicitly allowed for the possibility that he could someday be starting despite not being the best option.

Although now I'm curious how you'd know now that you've said you can't tell if you haven't seen the other guys play. For the record I'm fine with Ehlinger starting for now, but I saw enough in the spring game to know Rising is already a superior passer.

I like Sam. But when there’s another guy better, then too bad for Sam. I agree that Cam sounds like the future. How long has it been since we’ve had a better than average passer?  I’d say Ash was pretty good but is really been Colt. That’s a horrible track record in this league and especially frustrating considering TTU, OSU and OU continually replace elite QBs with more elite QBs. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So who exactly would you trot out there at QB then?  No one has this silly notion that the coaching staff is always right. That is a strawman. Were you trained in the ctj school of debate?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

So who exactly would you trot out there at QB then?  No one has this silly notion that the coaching staff is always right. That is a strawman. Were you trained in the ctj school of debate?
Well if the other option is being an idiot like you then I'll go ahead and say sure.

You said that until someone overtakes him he's the best we have. Either you intended overtakes to mean "replaces" in which case that statement is saying exactly that the coaches will always play the best player or else you intended it to mean "becomes better than" in which case your statement was a tautology and made your post totally worthless. You're either wrong or an idiot. Up to you, I suppose.
  • Like 3

My follow up question is do we see Herman keep playing Ehlinger even though we have a better QB in the wings out of some sort of loyalty the same way Meyer played Barrett over Haskins last year. We've already kinda seen that with porter is my concern.
I have approximately zero (0) connections in the AD or program staff, but my gut feeling says Herman won't ride Sam to his grave if he thinks one of the young guys (not true '19 Freshman RJ) gives us a better chance of winning more games next season. I could see Sam having an 18 wheeler/Belldozer type package when needed while Rising or Thompson gets most of the snaps, but who knows about that.

Having said that, for this year it's Sam with Buechele backing up and two talented young guys on tap if needed. That's a hell of a lot better situation than we've had since Colt graduated..

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Mike Leach was once asked:  What is the best way to help improve Quarterback Accuracy???

The PIRATE'S  Answer was:   "Recruit Better"

Here's a fun clip on Weddings.....

The "PIRATE" called The Wishbone one of the greatest Offenses ever devised...

Edited by LTtxfan

The debate rages on, but you guys aren't going to see any changes anytime soon. Unless there is an injury.

The way I see it. We are a very good football team that will get better, but will suffer a setback or two. Hopefully, not this weekend and you can say the same for Sam. I believe Herman views Sam as the 15-16 year who is driving the car for the 1st time. You can take it down to the store on the corner, but come straight back home. After this game with OU and especially if we win. I think we will open the offense up and see improvement from the QB. You would think he can and should improve as QB over this year and on.

Edit: I don't believe he will ever improve enough for some on this board. Hell, I bet we can go back to hornfans old threads and find some of the same people complaining about VY shot-putting the ball

6 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I like Sam. But when there’s another guy better, then too bad for Sam. I agree that Cam sounds like the future. How long has it been since we’ve had a better than average passer?  I’d say Ash was pretty good but is really been Colt. That’s a horrible track record in this league and especially frustrating considering TTU, OSU and OU continually replace elite QBs with more elite QBs. 

Sam’s won 4 straight. Those wins haven’t always been pretty, but he’s got the experience so you have to stick with him. He’s as elite as we got. And I like the guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well if the other option is being an idiot like you then I'll go ahead and say sure.

You said that until someone overtakes him he's the best we have. Either you intended overtakes to mean "replaces" in which case that statement is saying exactly that the coaches will always play the best player or else you intended it to mean "becomes better than" in which case your statement was a tautology and made your post totally worthless. You're either wrong or an idiot. Up to you, I suppose.

I don’t need to tag you as an idiot. You do that quite nicely with idiotic posts like this gem. When I said “overtakes” I meant “demonstrates that they can perform better as QB” than our current QB.  You seem to have a problem with Sam as the QB and want to darkly suggest that anyone who disagrees is blindly assuming that the coaches will always play the best players. 

My question for you is a simple one — who do you think should be starting at QB?  You have already eliminated Shane.  Could you still be carrying a torch for Heard?  Poor dear ...

Edited by VaHorn
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

I don’t need to tag you as an idiot. You do that quite nicely with idiotic posts like this gem. When I said “overtakes” I meant “demonstrates that they can perform better as QB” than our current QB.  You seem to have a problem with Sam as the QB and want to darkly suggest that anyone who disagrees is blindly assuming that the coaches will always play the best players. 

My question for you is a simple one — who do you think should be starting at QB?  You have already eliminated Shane.  Could you still be carrying a torch for Heard?  Poor dear ...

Wow, the false choice premise. You're so clever. I wonder if Huckleberry will ever find his way out of this clever trap you've constructed for him?

• Like 1

Ck out these highlights of Rising. Maybe it's the yellow shoes, but his speed looks a lot like Vince Young's

I'm just so thankful he didn't end up at blowU...tormenting us for 3-4 years while winning the Heisman at least one of those.

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ck out these highlights of Rising. Maybe it's the yellow shoes, but his speed looks a lot like Vince Young's

No. His speed does not look like Vince Young’s. Christ. 

4 hours ago, VaHorn said:

I had a discussion on this thread over the weekend with a poster who seemed very against Sam starting.  So I tried to pin him down as to who should start going forward.  His response was "well you can't change now...," which sounds like a reluctant "Sam" to me.  His response was qualified with the opinion that we should have been getting other guys playing time in the earlier games.  To get them experience or see if they were better I guess.  All very reasonable.  I wanted to see what Shane and the young guys could do leading this offense too.  It seems like Herman decided that with those games in doubt, Sam held the highest chance of closing out the win vs a guy coming in cold off the bench.  Debatable but I think it's a decision the vast majority of coaches would have made in a similar situation.  

I hope we do get far enough ahead of someone that we have the luxury or letting a guy come in cold of the bench and sling it around.  Cam looks very good from what I've seen.  I think where we are now, changing starters would be viewed as odd to the say the least since he's hasn't done anything horrible to give up the job.  The situation would be very different if we were realistically looking at 4-5 wins, then nothing to lose right.  But for now all of the team's major goals are still possible and a fair bit more probable than they were 3 weeks ago.  

Ultimately I'm all for the guy who gives us the best chance of winning being the starter.  "How do you know who's the best because we haven't seen the others play."  Which is correct, but Herman appears to believe we've not had the luxury to experiment yet and I'd have to agree.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, Zavala said:

Fuck yeah. Almost beat those landgrubbers last year. This year we bring home the your username.

Sam-Ehlinger-OU.jpg

ALMOST?  Really.  At least it was competitive and after being behind 20-0 it got interesting but was never really that close.  This year will be no different. close but the "almost" will prevail.

• Fuck You 22

2 minutes ago, jocah4 said:

ALMOST?  Really.  At least it was competitive and after being behind 20-0 it got interesting but was never really that close.  This year will be no different. close but the "almost" will prevail.

We are going to beat the ever-loving shit out of OU this year and it will not be close. I do not give a fuck what the stats read but I do know that our team plays for Sam and that is what is most important. Mark it down.

10 minutes ago, jocah4 said:

With more respect than necessary, you're a fucking retard of the highest order. Texas was up 24-23 with 8:01 left.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jocah4 said:

Never really that close? Texas was in the lead at one point.