Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

So my 97 year old grandmother (she can still drive a golf cart slowly and cognitively all there still!) up in Sun City/Georgetown who has never voted Democratic in maybe 50+ years told me yesterday as the kids saw their great-grandmother that she was voting against Cruz because she thinks he looks like a rat.  

Her eyesight is still pretty good.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, UTDD said:

So my 97 year old grandmother (she can still drive a golf cart slowly and cognitively all there still!) up in Sun City/Georgetown who has never voted Democratic in maybe 50+ years told me yesterday as the kids saw their great-grandmother that she was voting against Cruz because she thinks he looks like a rat.  

Give Grandma my props. 

16 minutes ago, UTDD said:

So her vision is still pretty sharp, you're saying. 

32 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I'll take it. Pass my pos rep on to Granny please. My mother DVR's Fox and Friends and goes to lunch at 11 am so she can catch Rush on the drive.

Went to a Harris County Democrat PAC fundraiser the other day. It was focused on Harris County races, but anyone who turns out to vote for Harris County Democrats is also a vote for Beto. The guy running the PAC gave a speech about how they are going to spend the money to turn out voters and essentially said they are doing the opposite of what Hillary did in 2016. No trying to flip Republicans or get white ladies in the suburbs to vote Democrat, it was pretty much all about minority and young voter turnout. Identifying people who don't vote or only vote in presidential election years and turning them out. Also they aren't spending much money on traditional media, most of the money goes to call centers and boots on the ground canvassing neighborhoods. 

Obviously the Harris County Democrats are excited about their chances, but this PAC guy was also very bullish on Beto. He thinks that if the voter turnout is strong in the big counties that those numbers can be enough for Beto. 

tldr voter turnout is important. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Went to a Harris County Democrat PAC fundraiser the other day. It was focused on Harris County races, but anyone who turns out to vote for Harris County Democrats is also a vote for Beto. The guy running the PAC gave a speech about how they are going to spend the money to turn out voters and essentially said they are doing the opposite of what Hillary did in 2016. No trying to flip Republicans or get white ladies in the suburbs to vote Democrat, it was pretty much all about minority and young voter turnout. Identifying people who don't vote or only vote in presidential election years and turning them out. Also they aren't spending much money on traditional media, most of the money goes to call centers and boots on the ground canvassing neighborhoods. 

Obviously the Harris County Democrats are excited about their chances, but this PAC guy was also very bullish on Beto. He thinks that if the voter turnout is strong in the big counties that those numbers can be enough for Beto. 

tldr voter turnout is important. 

I think this is ultimate the right plan. To win, the score needs to be run up in the cities and suburban voters need to flip in big enough numbers to make those areas tight. The difference is that there are a lot of untapped,  previously disengaged potential voters that would be friendly to Beto and Democrats at large in the cities. Youth and minority voters. The kind of educated, older suburban voter that needs to flip in order to sway this thing is already paying attention and is largely going to make up their own mind. It comes down to how attached they are to the (R) by the name. I don't know how much the campaign will be able to move the needle with them, and just letting them be alone with their thoughts and the never-ending GOP shitshow may be the best tool available.

I got (2) voter registration applications with envelopes already paid for left on my door. It looks like everyone at my apartment complex got it. I live in SW Austin.

I wonder if this is a Beto campaign strategy. It is very smart. I'm already registered though so I don't have any use for it.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Tell me about the VIP thing. I just donated more yesterday but would have rathered spent money on a VIP thing at the concert if possible. How do you sign up?

We'd like to invite you Backstage with Beto on Saturday, September 29th in Austin. The fundraising reception will take place backstage on Auditorium Shores ahead of musical performances by Texas legend Willie Nelson, Grammy-nominated artist Leon Bridges, Lukas and Micah Nelson, Carrie Rodriguez, Tameca Jones, and Joe Ely.

For more details and RSVP information please visit the link below:

www.betofortexas.com/AUS092918.2 

I requested an absentee ballot because I'll be out of the country all of October and November for work. Does anyone know when the election folks send these ballots out? I had my absentee ballot mailed to my cousin who lives in another state to mail to me in whatever country I'm in when she receives it. 

I don't see a reason why the Sunday debate needs to be postponed now.  I can see that Cruz doesn't want to speak to this issue as it has very little upside for him.  But then again, I think he has the best cover now that he can lay it at the feet of the FBI.  If they come back with compelling evidence of an assault, K shouldn't be confirmed.  If they don't, confirm him.    Simple answer for simple people.

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Anyone going to the rally tomorrow? I hate crowds almost as much as i hate christmas so ill be skipping it.

I wonder if there will be any wing nut nazi protestors down there trying to cause trouble.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

You mean the fucking Willie Nelson concert? Abso fucking lutely

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'll be there, if I can get in

3 hours ago, M12BH said:

In.  We signed up for the VIP thing.  So pics, hopefully.

I've got a couple friends coming into to town specifically for it - so they're gonna drag my ass out of the house to go with. MIA, you're more than welcome to come.

Maybe I should put together a placard that says "ARE YOU FROM THE INTERNET? SURLY POSTERS FOR BETO!" or some such.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I've got a couple friends coming into to town specifically for it - so they're gonna drag my ass out of the house to go with. MIA, you're more than welcome to come.

Maybe I should put together a placard that says "ARE YOU FROM THE INTERNET? SURLY POSTERS FOR BETO!" or some such.

Shaggy Beto

• Like 5

Beto is over 3.7 million from almost 85000 in his effort to get 5 million in the last week of October. It looks like he could make it.
His fundraising for this quarter is going to be insane. That huge pot of money will really help support the GOTV and he'll have enough for TV to the counter the flood of attack ads.

Is the debate back on? What's Cruz's excuse?