Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

22 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Ted Cruz has to go and Beto is a more than adequate replacement.  

I can’t believe there are millions of Texans that like Ted Cruz enough to vote for him at all.

22 hours ago, M12BH said:

When phone banking for Beto last week I ran across a few people who said they would neverneverNEVEREVER vote for a Democrat. So there's your answer.  

22 hours ago, softlynow said:

Almost 652k Alabamans voted for a child molester. Nothing matters to folks who like to borrow from the unborn and punish women who fuck. 

Yeah, the conversations I have often go like this:

Person: Who is Beto? Never heard of him.

Me: He is a candidate for Senate.

Person: Is he a Republican?

Me: No, he is the Democratic candidate. Can I clarify any of his positions on the issues for you?

Person: Uh why would I vote for someone who wants to kill unborn babies and take away my guns? Go away libtard. <---- This is an actual quote from someone I talked to. But there are lots of variations on this theme. The minute you say "democrat" you've lost them.

• Like 1

I'm skeptical that Beto can win, even while I hope he does, but no matter what I think his organization will pay dividends in future elections.   It takes time to build a statewide political machine, and candidates like Beto go a long way towards doing that even if he comes up short. 

I'm skeptical that Beto can win, even while I hope he does, but no matter what I think his organization will pay dividends in future elections.   It takes time to build a statewide political machine, and candidates like Beto go a long way towards doing that even if he comes up short. 

I’m there, too.

Of course, I also knew Texas would lose the first big 12 championship game to NU.

This is why they play the games/have the elections.

25 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

There is a chance that Beto can help the smaller/down-ballot races.

53 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

This. He’s showing future dem candidates that Texas can be competitive with a quality, motivated candidate. He’s getting democrats organized in places they haven’t been before. He’s taking dem voters to new levels as contributors (me) and campaigners. Most importantly, he’s getting democrats to believe, which should scare republicans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, austingirl said:

Yeah, the conversations I have often go like this:

Person: Who is Beto? Never heard of him.

Me: He is a candidate for Senate.

Person: Is he a Republican?

Me: No, he is the Democratic candidate. Can I clarify any of his positions on the issues for you?

Person: Uh why would I vote for someone who wants to kill unborn babies and take away my guns? Go away libtard. <---- This is an actual quote from someone I talked to. But there are lots of variations on this theme. The minute you say "democrat" you've lost them.

To be fair, the type of people who actually answer those phone calls are usually trumpkins, so you are wasting your breath on a lot of them.

• Like 1

It's texts, not calls. And you're right. We all know going in that we're going to get a lot of responses like that, and as soon as someone responds that way, they get a "thanks!" and we move on. Our purpose is to help undecided voters learn about Beto, not to try to turn hardcore Cruz fans. And there are a surprising number of undecideds out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I probably sound like a broken record, but it’s all about turnout. Texas is a bottom 5 state in turnout with millions of dem votes (Hispanics and young people) sitting out. I think the texting strategy is an efficient way to reach a lot of people that may not have voted in the past.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I probably sound like a broken record, but it’s all about turnout. Texas is a bottom 5 state in turnout with millions of dem votes (Hispanics and young people) sitting out. I think the texting strategy is an efficient way to reach a lot of people that may not have voted in the past.

True. Beto isn’t going to win by calling people with landlines.  And how many mobile users refuse to answer unknown calls these days. Texting is a great option. 

On 7/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, Message Board User said:

nice size crowd for a town of 1200. but the town is 40% hispanic according to wiki and the surrounding area is heavily hispanic, yet I barely see any in these pics. this is looking like the achilles heel for his campaign from what I've observed and read from experts. 

same thing at the Odessa rally today. 

On July 29, 2018 at 6:58 PM, Celery Man said:

Beto Fort Davis town hall - last “question” was a Vietnam vet saying that he reached out to Beto for help with his benefits and everything was sorted out in 3 weeks.

This is an underrated part of choosing a rep. People get really wrapped up in what they think instead of what they do. Being good at your job, such as taking care of constituents, needs to be a higher priority.

I no longer live in Texas but have been visiting this past week. I haven't seen a single Cruz sign but have noticed a fair share of Beto signs. This was mostly in Denton.

4 minutes ago, Mole said:

This is an underrated part of choosing a rep. People get really wrapped up in what they think instead of what they do. Being good at your job, such as taking care of constituents, needs to be a higher priority.

I no longer live in Texas but have been visiting this past week. I haven't seen a single Cruz sign but have noticed a fair share of Beto signs. This was mostly in Denton.

Cruz is the absolute worst at this. Unless he thinks you are going to help him be president. 

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

It's texts, not calls. And you're right. We all know going in that we're going to get a lot of responses like that, and as soon as someone responds that way, they get a "thanks!" and we move on. Our purpose is to help undecided voters learn about Beto, not to try to turn hardcore Cruz fans. And there are a surprising number of undecideds out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to lie.  I just spent an hour outside watering the grass thinking about how I can do more during these last few months.  My neighborhood was a red pocket in a mostly blue area of Northwest San Antonio in 2016,  but I'm seeing BETO signs pop up almost daily.  Mine was the first about 3 months ago and now it's getting close to 20.  I was thinking about how I would react to someone I called saying they only vote R. I came to the conclusion  that "thanks" was the way to go, but I also imagined it might be hard not to engage. 

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Cruz is the absolute worst at this. Unless he thinks you are going to help him be president. 

When I last lived in Texas, my congressman was Michael Burgess. I had issues with the VA and when I asked for help, he added me to his mailing list and sent me scary ads with Obama wearing black military helmets. He's terrible and cynical. Another congressman in another state, but in the same party, solved my problem in two weeks.

I'm rooting for you guys. Ted Cruz represents the worst Texas has to offer.

Got another text from Beto's group today.  Responded with Beto all the way. I got a link to fill out a form to get a free Beto sticker and then I went out and got drunk with my old boss in Seattle.  I guess I'll look into the free Beto sticker tomorrow.  I already got his yard sign so....

• Like 1

Plz don’t cold text me. Kthxbai.
Ha. I got a cold text for Beto and responded that I'm planning to vote for him because Ted Cruz is a gutless coward but that if they texted me again I might have to reconsider.

I didn't even get the "Thanks!" reply. So at least they're smart.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Ha. I got a cold text for Beto and responded that I'm planning to vote for him because Ted Cruz is a gutless coward but that if they texted me again I might have to reconsider.

Well played, both Huck and team Beto. 

3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I got a text from the Beto campaign last week addressing me as Nathalie. That's only weird because I've had the same mobile number for probably 15 years or so.

Ha I actually got one similar addressed to Cristina.  I mean, my sister is a Kristina, but she's not voting for Beto.

Text I got:

...."this is Linda volunteering w/ Beto O'Rourke's campaign for U.S. Senate. We're texting Texas voters today about the upcoming November election. Will you be voting for Beto O'Rourke or Ted Cruz for Senate?"

My response:

"Yes"

2nd response:

"STOP"

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Text I got:

...."this is Linda volunteering w/ Beto O'Rourke's campaign for U.S. Senate. We're texting Texas voters today about the upcoming November election. Will you be voting for Beto O'Rourke or Ted Cruz for Senate?"

My response:

"Yes"

2nd response:

"STOP"

Follow it with: “SOS SOS CQD CQD Titanic. We are sinking fast. Passengers are being put into boats. Titanic. STOP”

Over the last couple of weeks my wife has received letters from the likes of Greg Abbott, Karl Rove, Ted Cruz, and some former Republican senator. Not sure how they got her on the mailing list...maybe somehow through her Trumpkin mom.  Pages and pages of anti-liberal propaganda and fear-mongering. 

Anyone else getting this shit in the mail?

16 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

I'm not going to lie.  I just spent an hour outside watering the grass thinking about how I can do more during these last few months.  My neighborhood was a red pocket in a mostly blue area of Northwest San Antonio in 2016,  but I'm seeing BETO signs pop up almost daily.  Mine was the first about 3 months ago and now it's getting close to 20.  I was thinking about how I would react to someone I called saying they only vote R. I came to the conclusion  that "thanks" was the way to go, but I also imagined it might be hard not to engage. 

Yeah, you can't engage when representing the campaign. That's for Facebook rants and family reunions. I just think of it as prioritizing. No sense arguing with someone who isn't going to change their mind for anything. Better to move on to the ones who are genuinely on the fence.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

As soon as someone says that we opt them out. At least, that's the rule.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I do see a gaping hole in Beto's campaign -- genuine hispanic voter-engagement and outreach.  Beto has engaged with and created a good bit of energy with the upwardly mobile, educated white folks crowd.  So, folks like many of us.

Beto has a big chunk of the vote from Central Market shoppers.  Nifty.  That's important.  These are folks who turnout at rate of 65%+.

But what he needs is to get the vote from Fiesta shoppers.  He needs their turnout to be more than the current 40%.  If he can get that up to 50%+, he has a shot.  If not, he can't get it done.  No, it's not that these folks will vote for Cruz (I mean, sure, some will, but Beto will get more of them). It's whether they show up and vote AT ALL.

So....what is his outreach to the hispanic voter market?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Yeah, the downside of Texas politics.  You have to deal with genuine hispanics.

You pasty Extremaduran.

F you.  I shop at Fiesta.  I even buy the stuff the gringos won't touch. 

Shit, I got me an idea -- "Tacos for Beto!"  It's an easy outreach, can do it on a Saturday afternoon in the Fiesta parking lot.

• Like 2