The movie you just watched

F250

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s magnificent about it?

imo, the way that it lets you step into the lives of people very different from our own in such an authentic and fully formed way.  I think that's the main draw of his movies, at least for me.  I've never been to Taiwan, and I hardly know anything about Taipei, but you get such an intimate feel for the characters in this movie that there is nothing foreign or alien about them.  It is very easy to place yourself into their shoes, which is not a very easy thing for a filmmaker to do because of how well developed the characters must be for them to feel real on that kind of level.  Also, when you have such fully formed characters you can see things about how people work in a given situation, which can be interesting and have things to say about not just the character, but the situation with which the character is presented (here it being Tsai Chin figuring out what to do with her life in 1980s Taipei).  In that way I think this movie, and Yang's movies generally, have both Ozu and Antonioni in them.  

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

imo, the way that it lets you step into the lives of people very different from our own in such an authentic and fully formed way.  I think that's the main draw of his movies, at least for me.  I've never been to Taiwan, and I hardly know anything about Taipei, but you get such an intimate feel for the characters in this movie that there is nothing foreign or alien about them.  It is very easy to place yourself into their shoes, which is not a very easy thing for a filmmaker to do because of how well developed the characters must be for them to feel real on that kind of level.  Also, when you have such fully formed characters you can see things about how people work in a given situation, which can be interesting and have things to say about not just the character, but the situation with which the character is presented (here it being Tsai Chin figuring out what to do with her life in 1980s Taipei).  In that way I think this movie, and Yang's movies generally, have both Ozu and Antonioni in them.  

I love Ozu.  I can't get enough of people kneeling down, standing up, and then smiling with embarassment.  Plus, when they look you in the eye it freaks me out.

good-morning-still2-526x295.jpg

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1

Blindspotting.

A combination of Friday, Boys N the Hood, and End of Watch.

Could've easily been a bad movie had it been a little more serious, a little more preachy, or a little more irreverent.  As it is, it struck the balance perfectly. 

Hard to imagine it's a directing debut, and also an acting debut for the co-star who was hilarious (great writing)

Edited by 52-80

Bleed Out - currently running on HBO. The story of a retired Wisconsin teacher (whose son just happens to be a director) that suffered a medical error during a hip replacement that left her in a coma and the legal/medical/financial/family/personal nightmare that followed. 

Pro Tip: Don't get sick and old at the same time.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:13 AM, Drew said:

Watched the Early Screening of Bumblebee. Surprisingly really well done.  Probably the best of that franchise, and no wonder since the director isn't the same.  At least as good as the first one.

Lotta kids clapping after...

music was great. 80s jams for the win. 

On 12/15/2018 at 2:27 PM, tantric superman said:

Roma (just dropped on Netflix) is fantastic and perfect.  Going to be thinking about this one for awhile.  A work of art that really digs deep.

il_570xN.1707983252_c208.jpg,

The big three directors of Mexico are pretty fantastic.

Just watched this . And the Shining. And The Birdcage. And Moonstruck. And Animal House. And Daddy's Home 2.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:32 AM, Fudbelty said:

No Country For Old Men

I guess I’m dumb because that ending was definitely a wtf exactly was that moment. No clue. Best part of the whole movie was the convenience store exchange.

Overall wasn’t bad at all. 6 mehs out of 10

Watched this and Hateful 8 back to back.

Not a movie, but this Godfather Legacy thing on the Reelz channel is fucking amazing.

Has screen tests of the actors, backstory, interviews with Coppola, Pacino, etc., just tons of behind the scenes stuff, critical interpretations.

Badass.

Edit: just looked - I think this came out in 2012

Edited by Grandioso