Lion Air has lost contact with a plane

Pancho

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Lion Air. On the list of airlines that there is no fucking way I get on. 

I don't know about that, but I ain't never fucking going to Indonesia or anywhere near there on a plane. Driving drunk through Manhattan at rush hour is safer.

The plane lost contact 13 minutes after takeoff, the Indonesian rescue official said, confirming that a tug boat leaving the capital’s port had seen the aircraft falling from the sky.

The Flightradar website tracked the plane, showing it looping south on takeoff and then heading north before the flight path ended abruptly over the Java Sea, not far from the coast.

It says final telemetry from the aircraft indicates it was in a ‘rapid descent’.

The plane involved was a Boeing Co 737 Max-8 model. The aircraft is believed to be just two months old, and a significantly updated version over older 737 models.

That would be surprising if true.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/oct/29/lion-air-crash-rescue-teams-search-waters-off-jakarta-for-flight-jt610

The waters where JT610 has crashed are roughly 30-35 metres deep, according to the head of Indonesia’s search and rescue agency.

The plane crashed into Karawang Bay, two nautical miles from where the plane lost contact with aircraft control, said Muhammed Syaugi.

“On the sea surface we found debris,” he said.

Singapore’s Straits Times are also reporting that the plane had requested a return to base before it lost contact.

6 minutes ago, housious said:

This is pretty high up on the list of ways I don’t want to die.

Eh, it's at least a pretty much guarantee for being immediate/relatively painless after the initial millisecond of touch down. However, not being able to say bye to ppl definitely drops its 'way to go' rating. I'd go middle of the pack. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Eh, it's at least a pretty much guarantee for being immediate/relatively painless after the initial millisecond of touch down. However, not being able to say bye to ppl definitely drops its 'way to go' rating. I'd go middle of the pack. 

I don't think it's about the impact. I think it's the terrifying descent during which one must reconcile imminent and unexpected death that would be the real kick to the balls. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think it's about the impact. I think it's the terrifying descent during which one must reconcile imminent and unexpected death that would be the real kick to the balls. 

There's always a small part of me that expects death anytime I get on an airplane

• Like 3

My father is absolutely terrified of flying.  I mean, "terrified" in the strongest of terms.  My mother convinced him to fly to Europe last week.  He's set to fly back today.  I'm curious as to how many drugs he had pumped into him this morning in order to make it.

To give you an idea, he went around to every one he knows to show them, what he thought was, the real video of the jumbo jet doing a 360. He would not accept that it wad fake.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

"The crash just after takeoff of an Indonesian airline jet carrying 189 people will confound investigators, because none of the familiar characteristics of an aviation disaster was present: the airplane, a Boeing 737 Max-8, was brand new, having entered service only in August; the Max-8 is the most advanced version of the 737; the airline involved, Lion Air, was recently upgraded to the highest safety level; and there was no weather involved."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/189-missing-in-lion-air-boeing-737-plane-crash-that-should-never-have-happened

13 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

"The crash just after takeoff of an Indonesian airline jet carrying 189 people will confound investigators, because none of the familiar characteristics of an aviation disaster was present: the airplane, a Boeing 737 Max-8, was brand new, having entered service only in August; the Max-8 is the most advanced version of the 737; the airline involved, Lion Air, was recently upgraded to the highest safety level; and there was no weather involved."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/189-missing-in-lion-air-boeing-737-plane-crash-that-should-never-have-happened

I would like to know more about this "highest" safety level ranking lion air received...

January 14, 2002

737-200 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Written Off

Takeoff accident due to incorrect flap configuration

November 30, 2004

MD82 - 25 Fatalities - Aircraft Destroyed

Landing runway excursion. Aircraft hydroplaned.

March 4, 2006

MD-82 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Written Off

Landing runway excursion. Left reverser was listed as INOP. Reverse thrust used on landing causing the aircraft to veer.

December 24, 2006

737-400 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Written Off

Landing accident. Incorrect flap setting and the aircraft was not aligned with the runway.

March 9, 2009

MD90 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Written Off

Landing runway excursion. The pilots continued with a non-stabilized approach. Only one reverser opened, causing the aircraft to pivot around the nose off of the runway.

November 2, 2010

737-400 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Written Off

Landing runway excursion. Non-stable approach, speed brakes not used until 42 seconds after touchdown.

April 13, 2013

737-800 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Destroyed

Landed short due to unstable approach.

August 6, 2013

737-800 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Damaged and Repaired

Landing excursion. Aircraft hit cows on the runway and veered off as a result of trying to avoid them.

February 1, 2014

737-900 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Damaged and Repaired

Hard landing resulting in tire damage and a tail strike. Four bounces before the impact.

February 20, 2016

737-900 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Not Damaged

Runway excursion. Late touchdown, delayed spoiler deployment, thrust levers not at idle position, and late of brake application. Aircraft came to a stop with the nose gear 1 metre past the end of the threshold.

April 29, 2018

737-800 - 0 Fatalities - Aircraft Damaged and Repaired

Runway excursion. Heavy rain was reported as they touched down and veered off to the left of the runway.

October 29, 2018

737-MAX8 - 189 Fatalities (Not confirmed) - Aircraft Destroyed

Aircraft crashed into water shortly after takeoff.

No idea what the criteria is, but according to the article they improved their safety stuff in the past few years after years of bad things, as you note.

This year, Lion Air was one of three Indonesian airlines whose safety rating was upgraded to the highest level after meeting standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Cargo.

Pilots probably didn't know until they were airborne, and by then it's like trying to fly a freight train.  Gross overload.  Trim characteristics all shot to hell.  Probably broke their arms just trying to keep it level.

• Like 2

Looks like unreliable airspeed indicator. Written up twice previously. Know your pitch and power settings boys. This hits close to home because during my previous recurrent training we were given an unreliable airspeed indicator scenario. I've never seen an ADIRU fail or a clogged pitot tube on a 737.

Looks like unreliable airspeed indicator. Written up twice previously. Know your pitch and power settings boys. This hits close to home because during my previous recurrent training we were given an unreliable airspeed indicator scenario. I've never seen an ADIRU fail or a clogged pitot tube on a 737.

Some thinking static port blocked. Speed reading would be ok at sea level, right? Would cross check at 80kts be normal?