Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I got one, too.  National Review article, no poltics whatsoever, one of the best medium-survey analyses I've seen so far.  Very understandable.  Worth the read.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/why-the-russians-are-struggling/

Will second that one too. Good article and absolutely no politics at all. 

I didn't know that until 2013, the Russians wore these instead of socks. It takes this dude over a minute to put on his boots. All to save, what, 30 cents?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Pods said:

If y'all haven't read this, you should. It's an excellent article and the author nailed it in November. Thanks for the link @atomheartbevo

The Russians didn't have enough trucks, even before the Ukrainians started turbo-fucking their supply lines.

There is no way now for them to fix it and it's going to get worse and worse as the Ukrainians keep knocking off supply convos.  

Where’s the Red Ball Express when you need it?  How’s that tactics vs logistics argument working out for you now, Vlad?

CE38209B-5E86-4857-8F7B-0AC3A27326CC.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

I think karl missed the point about the tires getting dry rot from just sitting in one spot in the sun.

I feel like he was just adding to the point. The original thread was amazing. Karl was just saying that in addition to the corruption and incompetence shown regarding basic maintenance, they were also working with a shitty tire AND it’s not even rated to support the weight of the vehicle. So, quadruple fucked? Quintuple fucked? I don’t know. I’ve lost count of the fucked’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

At what point do I start thinking the Ukrainians can win this thing? With the assumption that a tactical nuke isn’t used. Which I like as an assumption, because it fits my preferred world view. 

I guess it’s when I feel like the Russians have reached their peak military investment in the invasion, and they’re still not really getting anywhere. I’m not there, yet, but it’s no longer beyond my imagination. 

That national review article about their lack of training and leadership, and how it affects counterintuitive local fire fights, compared with a single American unit in a fire fight in 2003 Iraq, was illuminating. Thank you for sharing @phdhorn

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

At what point do I start thinking the Ukrainians can win this thing? With the assumption that a tactical nuke isn’t used. Which I like as an assumption, because it fits my preferred world view. 

I guess it’s when I feel like the Russians have reached their peak military investment in the invasion, and they’re still not really getting anywhere. I’m not there, yet, but it’s no longer beyond my imagination. 

That national review article about their lack of training and leadership, and how it affects counterintuitive local fire fights, compared with a single American unit in a fire fight in 2003 Iraq, was illuminating. Thank you for sharing @phdhorn

In the long run 100% confident they will win.  In the short term, things could become extremely awful, lots, and I mean lots of civilian and militia casualties and death.  My hope is that someone kills Putin and ends this madness, but that seems unlikely.  

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It don't know if I'd call it Ukraine winning, but I don't think the Russians have any options left that result in a win. Their equipment is outdated and they don't have enough. I don't see how they logistically maintain a siege, when they can't even come close to supporting the units they have deployed currently. 

Hannibal marched up and down Italy for 15 years kicking the shit out of the Romans every time they faced, but Rome refused to admit defeat. Extreme stubbornness is damn hard to beat. I see that in the Ukrainians and they are doing far better than the Romans ever did against Hannibal until Zama. 

I think the more Putin hits Ukraine, the harder they will fight. Long-term, Russia is fucked and will retreat in disgrace. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pods said:

It don't know if I'd call it Ukraine winning, but I don't think the Russians have any options left that result in a win. Their equipment is outdated and they don't have enough. I don't see how they logistically maintain a siege, when they can't even come close to supporting the units they have deployed currently. 

Hannibal marched up and down Italy for 15 years kicking the shit out of the Romans every time they faced, but Rome refused to admit defeat. Extreme stubbornness is damn hard to beat. I see that in the Ukrainians and they are doing far better than the Romans ever did against Hannibal until Zama. 

I think the more Putin hits Ukraine, the harder they will fight. Long-term, Russia is fucked and will retreat in disgrace. 

I'm fearful that a few morale crushers could hurt Ukrainian prospects, but may strengthen their collective resolve.  I'm highly concerned that we haven't heard about Kharkiv tonight, to me it signals that the Russians may well have escalated the attack there and may well have flattened the city.  The longer they continue to hold in area's like Kharkiv, where the Russian's expected virtually bloodless transitions, the more apt their Generals are to unless everything they have at those targets.  

Will second that one too. Good article and absolutely no politics at all. 
I didn't know that until 2013, the Russians wore these instead of socks. It takes this dude over a minute to put on his boots. All to save, what, 30 cents?

There are supposed advantages to those wraps. For example if they get wet you can rebind them with the wet part on your shins- your feet are then dry and the wet part gets dried from the warmth of your body.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We”re a week into this thing and we don’t have a Tommy Boy reference yet.   I am disappointed, and sorry if I have missed it previously despite following this thread pretty closely.

Yeah, it was posted. I commented on it. 

I see a ton of reposts in here, though. And not a single one of them have bothered me. Well, that’s not true. When I post a link I feel like I own a patent on it. Fuck all you copyright violators for posting my link. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see a ton of reposts in here, though. And not a single one of them have bothered me. Well, that’s not true. When I post a link I feel like I own a patent on it. Fuck all you copyright violators for posting my link. 

Hey, did y’all see this? They were my thoughts first. SL reposted it.

There are supposed advantages to those wraps. For example if they get wet you can rebind them with the wet part on your shins- your feet are then dry and the wet part gets dried from the warmth of your body.

Also has the advantage of giving you a way to take care of your feet when your worthless army is unable to handle the logistics of procuring socks.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I didn’t start following this thread until shit got crazy.  My apologies to the board for posting an obvious meme that I hadn’t seen posted in the last week.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I didn’t start following this thread until shit got crazy.  My apologies to the board for posting an obvious meme that I hadn’t seen posted in the last week.

In the midst of madness, I don't think a bit of levity hurts.  But that's just me.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

They’ve asked for these guarantees prior to the invasion, at the beginning of February. Norway, too. Not saying they didn’t reiterate them, but this isn’t the first time the request has been made recently. 

It’s based on an OCSE principle that none of the signatories will build up their security forces in a way that endangers other members. Obviously from a Western perspective this seems ludicrous. I’m only a messenger here. The idea from the Russian side is that the expansion of NATO violates the OCSE principles, and they’re looking for a written reaffirmation from these 3 countries as signatories. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

These Ukrainian folks appear hardworking, intelligent, resourceful and competent.  And yet their government had been one of the worst in Europe.  Why?  Seems the one precludes the other.

Corruption is widespread in Ukrainian society.[1][2] In 2012 Ernst & Young put Ukraine among the three most-corrupt nations of the world—alongside Colombia and Brazil.[3] In 2015 The Guardian called Ukraine "the most corrupt nation in Europe".[4] According to a poll conducted by Ernst & Young in 2017, experts considered Ukraine to be the ninth-most corrupt nation in the world.[5] According to Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index (a scale of least to most corrupt nations), Ukraine ranked 122nd out of 180 countries in 2021, the second most corrupt in Europe, ahead of Russia.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine

Super post!

I just saw this:

ABC News
@ABC
LATEST: https://abcn.ws/3vyCjVP/GFy

- Nearly 27,000 dead Russian soldiers since start of invasion.
-Zelensky now offering a liter of Khor vodka to patriots per head of every dead Russian serviceman.
- U.S. official: Northrop in discussion with Zelensky to fast track production of YF-23s in time to see service in current conflict/ per Eurounion blessing, special guest Ethiopia will remain neutral in vote
- Putin rumored to be hiding out in steel reinforced bunker in Benghazi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dr Climax said:

I just saw this:

ABC News
@ABC
LATEST: https://abcn.ws/3vyCjVP/GFy

- Nearly 27,000 dead Russian soldiers since start of invasion.
-Zelensky now offering a liter of Khor vodka to patriots per head of every dead Russian serviceman.
- U.S. official: Northrop in discussion with Zelensky to fast track production of YF-23s in time to see service in current conflict/ per Eurounion blessing, special guest Ethiopia will remain neutral in vote
- Putin rumored to be hiding out in steel reinforced bunker in Benghazi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it. Thank you for passing this on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What exactly is the fear for Sweden here? They don't share a border and with the Russian supply logistics I dont see them pulling off something from the Baltics. I guess having such a tiny standing army is an issue.

Sweden and Russians don’t like each other. At all. Since, like 1600ad or something.