Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Essentially yes. Our main sources of info on internal Russian dealings, especially in real time, are all liars.  Confirming anything is difficult 

What I figured.  There was one of those twitter podcasts that popped up on my feed Sat with some of the people I follow (and are frequently quoted in this thread) giving their thoughts which was interesting but also several Putin apologists that had some ridiculous takes.  But yeah - at that moment in time - it seemed like everyone was taking this as fact (or at least likely) those 2 were gone, so interesting how wrong that assumption was 2-3 days later.  I guess everyone took it at face because it certainly begs the question what was the point of this from Wagner's perspective if they just turned around without accomplishing anything other than embarrassing Putin and the military (which, of course, is good enough for me).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You always bring more than you need. 

that should be a rule for life. 

A rule my wife lives by with 2 suitcases for a 2 night stay

Edited by Catpfish
Thread moves too fast and I'm trying to catch...just not fast enough
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Essentially yes. Our main sources of info on internal Russian dealings, especially in real time, are all liars.  Confirming anything is difficult 

There was a YouTube poster saying that Putin had reversed his amnesty plan on Porgy. I was going to post it, but it got taken down. It will probably happen, but at a later date. The plot just thickens.

CHIEF

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

There was a YouTube poster saying that Putin had reversed his amnesty plan on Porgy. I was going to post it, but it got taken down. It will probably happen, but at a later date. The plot just thickens.

CHIEF

Did the Duma pass a law legitimizing sledgehammer executions….I mean coincidentally?

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wait so the Wagnerites that invaded Russia get to go home but the ones in Syria carrying out Putin’s wishes get arrested? That doesn’t make any sense so I will assume it’s true.

Seems like they just decided to dismantle Wagner, particularly the leadership.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

We'll know who actually won based on who falls out a window or suddenly dies in a few months.

Damn, that went way too fast, and I was dealing with storm damage all weekend, and can't read all the posts. So my first impression is that angry guy led a coup, got close to Moscow, then suddenly abandoned ship. My impression based solely on that is that Putin comes out stronger, that he told the guy he was fucked, and he obeyed. But the rounds are saying he looks weaker. If the guy (not gonna even try to spell it--Plinko something?) ends up dead in a few weeks, doesn't that mean Putin is still the dictator we thought he was? Seems the real benefit was as a distraction from Ukraine, but only for a few days. 

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Damn, that went way too fast, and I was dealing with storm damage all weekend, and can't read all the posts. So my first impression is that angry guy led a coup, got close to Moscow, then suddenly abandoned ship. My impression based solely on that is that Putin comes out stronger, that he told the guy he was fucked, and he obeyed. But the rounds are saying he looks weaker. If the guy (not gonna even try to spell it--Plinko something?) ends up dead in a few weeks, doesn't that mean Putin is still the dictator we thought he was? Seems the real benefit was as a distraction from Ukraine, but only for a few days. 

Take a lap, stache.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is what I expected in Syria. Now let's see what happens in Africa. 

25 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

was stated earlier. No way will Putin allow Senior Leaders (Colonel and above, maybe some critical personnel, like pilots) remain within Wagner. 

I think Africa could get real interesting as well. Word is going to spread, and I'm not sure who shows up in Africa to take the reins, but I have to think at that point Wagner is going to fucking blast those motherfuckers on site. At that point, if you're a wagner officer, who would you just turn over your weapons and helicopters? 

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Some Helobious vibes off this post. A guy turns his guns on Moscow, goes 85% of the way untouched, Putin calls him a traitor and says he'll be killed, to cutting a deal and shipping him off to Belarus...and that's AFTER Lukashenko of all people had to broker an agreement? And this looks "strong" to you? 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think Africa could get real interesting as well. Word is going to spread, and I'm not sure who shows up in Africa to take the reins, but I have to think at that point Wagner is going to fucking blast those motherfuckers on site. At that point, if you're a wagner officer, who would you just turn over your weapons and helicopters? 

Some Helobious vibes off this post. A guy turns his guns on Moscow, goes 85% of the way untouched, Putin calls him a traitor and says he'll be killed, to cutting a deal and shipping him off to Belarus...and that's AFTER Lukashenko of all people had to broker an agreement? And this looks "strong" to you? 

I think he's looked weak the whole time because his military seems like it sucks. I'll need to find time to read up more about the coup attempt. I just want the war to be over, Ukraine restored, and for Putin to go the way of most dictators over the last century or so, hanging somewhere in the town square. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think he's looked weak the whole time because his military seems like it sucks. I'll need to find time to read up more about the coup attempt. I just want the war to be over, Ukraine restored, and for Putin to go the way of most dictators over the last century or so, hanging somewhere in the town square. 

We all want the same things, except for a certain segment of this country that now sympathizes with Russia and Putin. 

Trust me, he looks weak. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Sanctions in Africa starting vs. Wagner. DOS Statement. 

Antony J. Blinken, Secretary of State

The United States is imposing sanctions on several entities in the Central African Republic (CAR) today for their connection to the transnational criminal organization known as the Wagner Group and for their involvement in activities that undermine democratic processes and institutions in the CAR through illicit trade in the country’s natural resources.

We are also designating one Russian national who has served as a Wagner executive in Mali.  Wagner has used its operations in Mali both to obtain revenue for the group and its owner, Yevgeniy Prigozhin, as well as to procure weapons and equipment to further its involvement in hostilities in Ukraine.

The United States has also issued a new business risk advisory focused on the gold industry across sub-Saharan Africa.  Specifically, this advisory highlights how illicit actors such as Wagner exploit this resource to gain revenue and sow conflict, corruption, and other harms throughout the region. Death and destruction has followed in Wagner’s wake everywhere it has operated, and the United States will continue to take actions to hold it accountable.

https://www.state.gov/sanctioning-entities-and-individual-connected-to-wagner-group-in-africa/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

doesn't that mean Putin is still the dictator we thought he was? Seems the real benefit was as a distraction from Ukraine, but only for a few days. 

Police and military troops that were in Wagner's way, that were there ostensibly around to guard Mother Russia, got out of Wagner's way.  The Russian military apparently sat around waiting to see what happened and who would come out on top, instead of rushing to get ahead of, and stop Wagner.

Putin gave a morning speech declaring them traitors and comparing it 1917 (which is a big no-no in Putin's world), then later on gave a speech basically pardoning them, even though they shot down more aircraft in a 18-hour period that Ukraine has ever done.

Oh, and Putin's intelligence services (FSB, etc.) completely whiffed and missed that this was going to happen.

Putin is incredibly weak now.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Police and military troops that were in Wagner's way, that were there ostensibly around to guard Mother Russia, got out of Wagner's way.  The Russian military apparently sat around waiting to see what happened and who would come out on top, instead of rushing to get ahead of, and stop Wagner.

Putin gave a morning speech declaring them traitors and comparing it 1917 (which is a big no-no in Putin's world), then later on gave a speech basically pardoning them, even though they shot down more aircraft in a 18-hour period that Ukraine has ever done.

Oh, and Putin's intelligence services (FSB, etc.) completely whiffed and missed that this was going to happen.

Putin is incredibly weak now.

Thanks, this helps. Hopefully someone else is ready to pursue a coup knowing there are weaknesses, and hopefully it will be people who are on the right side of things. 

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Thanks, this helps. Hopefully someone else is ready to pursue a coup knowing there are weaknesses, and hopefully it will be people who are on the right side of things. 

anybody on the right side of things in Russia is either in jail or dead.

However this shakes out, assume someone terrible is going to take power.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Nobody with any power in Russia is “on the right side of things”

So you’ve got choices for the new post-putin Russia. Let’s see: there are Wagner like Bond villain types. Neo-Nazis. Left fascists. Right fascists. Czarist restoration nutjobs. Mafyia groups. Russian nationalist whackos. Russian orthodox crown of Constantine end times enablers. Any less extreme folks are dead or in the gulag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

anybody on the right side of things in Russia is either in jail or dead.

However this shakes out, assume someone terrible is going to take power.

Russia.  Remember, the only constant is "....and then it got worse."  For centuries, it has been a shithole country of serfs and slaves.  And that it will stay.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So you’ve got choices for the new post-putin Russia. Let’s see: there are Wagner like Bond villain types. Neo-Nazis. Left fascists. Right fascists. Czarist restoration nutjobs. Mafyia groups. Russian nationalist whackos. Russian orthodox crown of Constantine end times enablers. Any less extreme folks are dead or in the gulag

So long as they can't threaten their neighbors, who cares.