Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I had to look it up because it was Kiev when I lived in eastern europe. Kiev though is the Russian pronunciation. Kyiv is the Ukranian pronunciation.

Technically in the movie, the storage depot location is pronounced  "Daiquiri"  But yes, it's Kyiv.    

I've always been curious why some countries get a "new" name from us Espana/Spain, others stay the same Ukraine/Ukraine.   Same with major cities, but with a different alphabet, it can be too complex a system.  But it's giving me an excuse to bone up on Euroasian geography again.  

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I had to look it up because it was Kiev when I lived in eastern europe. Kiev though is the Russian pronunciation. Kyiv is the Ukranian pronunciation.

My polish buddy punched me in the arm when I pronounced it in the Russian dialect.

I also can't do any polish toasts with him because I mangle them with a Russian accent.  Apparently that's an extremely insulting thing to do..

Too many cold War movies.

• Drool 1

They are grounding all oligarch jets.  They can’t land or take off anywhere in europe.  Do you really not think they’ll pool resources and put 100M each on Putin’s head?   
One of them landed his Global Express in Teterboro today. We'll see how serious the govt is about that shit real soon.

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So we find someone to give Putin a Sicilian Necktie. Then what? I assume we don't want Lavrov or Medvedev in power, as they were Putin acolytes. Who from the military that would be palatable to the west could take and hold power long enough for elections and a Russian return to the civilized world? The Defense Minister that got sacked? If he's still alive...

Go with a comedian.

Yakov Smirnoff is Ukrainian so cross him off.

2 minutes ago, dimyh said:

So how would tactical nukes be used? Is Putin threatening to flatten Kyiv? Wouldn't there still be massive radiation risk especially right next to the river?

Why on gods green earth would you nuke land you want to occupy and assimilate?

Kyiv? Kyiv is the birthplace of Russia and Eastern Orthodox religion… he wants Kyiv

Tactical nukes we’re designed to break up large conventional forces in mass.  They are all but worthless in asymmetrical warfare.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If we indulged in some kind of appeasement here, there's little doubt he'd try it again, and on a NATO country, this time.

And we'd be more "culturally" and "financially" aligned with that NATO country, perhaps, for whatever that's worth.  But it would also be more complicated because Article 5 would require us to come to their defense, and probably not in the non-belligerent ways we have done so thus far.  Or risk NATO being viewed as a paper tiger.  And without the benefit of having a square knot jerked in Europe's ass, as has happened here.

So, put this off, and we've very likely got Americans in a shooting war in Europe AND subject to a tactical nuclear strike and further nuclear escalation.

We should have sacked up over Crimea.

There’s a certain famous American that explained why we didn’t intervene back then. His words still ring true. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Pretty sure Japan wants to point them at China. 

Yes, I know.  But this business with Russia is what's prompting the comments from Shinzo Abe.  There have been some historical tensions around Sea of Japan/Sea of Okhotsk and associated islands, I'm sure 1 or 2 aimed that way would be part of the bulk package to host.  

Months. This assumes some other factors that I won't discuss but definitely not weeks.
Dan Rather wrote a really insightful book called Blackout that discusses all the grid's vulnerabilities and touches on this particular scenario.

Lights Out was the name of Rather’s book. Truth is 3 guys with semi auto 308s could shut down a high voltage transfer station in just a few minutes. That HV switchgear isn’t cheap and there not a whole lot of spares sitting around.

There is also another EOTWAWKI book called Lights Out by David Crawford about an EMP attack on the US and how a small group near Floresville survives. The book was originally written as fan fiction on the Frugal Squirrels preparedness site.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There was one or two times where we avoided complete nuclear disaster during the cold war all because one or two level-headed officers decided to let cooler heads prevail and not annihilate everyone. Hopefully this ends the same way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow%E2%80%93Washington_hotline

Sure would love to know whats being discussed via this system, which is now apparently via email

Oh being safely distanced from daddy?  There will be Russian billionaires doing backroom deals to end this regime.  Mark it down.  It’s not a guarantee they’ll succeed but money talks.  

Also, having your PJ grounded is the stuff of nightmares.  Yikes
Fuck, I hope you are right. Putin is unhinged.

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Spring thaw. It's no longer frozen enough to go cross country. Gotta stay on the roads or they're gonna sink in the mud. Which makes them great targets.

Jesus.   The spring thaw saved the Russians asses vs the blitzing Germans.   You’d think they have a little insider info on what to do and where 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My polish buddy punched me in the arm when I pronounced it in the Russian dialect.

I also can't do any polish toasts with him because I mangle them with a Russian accent.  Apparently that's an extremely insulting thing to do..

Too many cold War movies.

Tell Polish buddy you are making fun of Russians who can't speak Polish.

I visited London and thought I'd nailed that Cockney Lite dialect. But when I'd try to do it, people would stare at me and ask me why I was talking like an Australian.

But I have no idea how to imitate an Australian accent.

Wait-- I guess I do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Yes, I know.  But this business with Russia is what's prompting the comments from Shinzo Abe.  There have been some historical tensions around Sea of Japan/Sea of Okhotsk and associated islands, I'm sure 1 or 2 aimed that way would be part of the bulk package to host.  

Japan has negotiated forever and is frustrated to no end with Putin about getting their Northern Territories islands (3 of them NE off Hokkaido) back, that the ruskies seized from Japan at the end of WW2 and claimed they would give them back after a peace treaty was signed. 

In true ruskie fashion, they made sure a peace treaty never got to the signing phase, so the ruskies could keep and settle those islands, which still have Japanese cemeteries on them.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, staboner said:

i am not liking these rubio tweets at fucking all

Don't forget who Rubio is, what he spent the last 6 years doing, and who's boots he was licking during that time. 

None of them are to be trusted fully. He definitely gains from stirring up fear just like the rest of his kind. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 7

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Exactly. Such is the way of governments. Democracies look messy and unstable and chaotic but they are strong as shit (I’ve always laughed off the ledge people regarding our “democracy in peril” set). Authoritarian governments look strong and stable but in reality they are brittle as fuck and can snap at a moments notice. 
there’s a reason the autocrat is so afraid of his population while our politicians are not. 

Man, I do not laugh it off at all. If there's anything history proves, it's that no government is permanent. I think a good way for democracy to end is for people to take it for granted. 

The US hasn't truly been in a bad economic spot since the Great Depression. Stock market crash erasing entire net worths. 50% of adult males out of the work. The Dust Bowl crushing food production. I used to have conversations with every adult I encountered who lived through that time to hear stories of what it was like. And it left an indelible impression on all of them. Even the ones who came from wealthy families had something of a survivor's guilt when they talked about it. And the ones who actually lived through food scarcity had emotional scars around them because of it. It absolutely shaped their world view, especially regarding money.

Nothing we've had since has approached it. I hope nothing does. But the US is certainly not immune. The Great Recession could have easily been a whole lot worse than it was. Globalization and the constant grind of making more and more efficient supply chains have traded robust redundancies for efficiency. We are a country ruled by hate and fear of others, who we see as existential threats. Inequality is at an all time high. Our educations systems are failing our populace. We've run massive current account deficits for 4 plus decades. We also have a lot of advantages, starting with the strongest military in the world by several factors and the fiat currency. We also have a very high work ethic culturally. We incentivize new ideas, and are generally supportive and adaptive to technological change, at least in the aggregate.

But to me I see more support in general for undemocratic mindsets on both sides of the aisle than I ever have. It's not like January 6 didn't happen. Any moderate of either party sees a well financed far more extremist primary opponent.

To speak to your point, though, I always think about Churchill's quote that "Democracy is the worst form of government...except for all the other ones." The main strengths of democracy is that it has inherent succession plans, to your point. It also always for a systemic change in policy and the path of nations as a matter of course. The problem with any kind of one party/person/group rule is that they tend to double down on mistakes. Democracies can be wishy washy and short term, but if something is going sideways badly enough there is a built in mechanism to change course. 

Obviously Russia under Putin doesn't have that. And they have nukes. A lot of them. That sucks for the rest of the world as a combination.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

I guess you have not seen all the bad ass shit they are doing on the border for the refugees. 

Between the good deeds from the people of both Poland and Romania, I just can't say enough.  Often times the world is a terrible place with people being awful to each other.  Every now and again, and it isn't often, something happens that just warms your soul.  Seeing how both of these peoples have reacted is one of those times.  

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Anybody whoever went to Catholic School knows that this is not an exaggeration whatsoever. If we send 100 nuns over there they would probably take out 50,000 Russians before dinner time.

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

On a mission from God. 

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Kyiv? Kyiv is the birthplace of Russia and Eastern Orthodox religion… he wants Kyiv

Tactical nukes we’re designed to break up large conventional forces in mass.  They are all but worthless in asymmetrical warfare.  

Exactly. Sounds like he would be pissing in his own cereal. So what is the yield on these tact nukes and how would he use them in Ukraine?

Edited by dimyh

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah maybe we should lift off the gas some.  Lostsa sanctions already, and I don't think MORE will change the outcome, as bad as it may be.

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is exactly what I was just thinking about.  Far from a military strategist here but not understanding where he would actually utilize tactical nukes in the current state of play in any manner that makes sense.   But then I go back to the fact that literally absolutely nothing about this entire conflict makes sense.  In a best case scenario where he took Kiev in under 48 hours and the West is divided (which we all speculated on this thread was a likely outcome of an invasion a few weeks ago), he still would have isolated and weakened Russia.  So yeah - I think logic, common sense, strategy, it may all be out the window at this point.

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй