Christmas Menus

Spur08

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:
23 hours ago, Limp Brisket said:
I was a Best Stop boudin junkie until I discovered Rabideauxs, just off I-10 at the Iowa, LA exit. 

I need to investigate, because a detour to Scott to best stop adds miles to my trips to Church Point, where all my wife's people have been steadily buying up much acreage. Thank you.

No problem.  Only my opinion but it’s the best boudin I’ve ever had and it’s not close.  Very clean place, too.

Tenderloin

Collard greens laced with bacon

green beans laced with bacon

stewed tomatoes

Vidalia onion Swiss cheese casserole

Fresh oysters 

Homemade crescent rolls

Apple, fudge, choc pecan, buttermilk pies

Oh yeah, Bulleit Orange label, Eagle rare, Rare Breed, Sterling Vineyards Cabs, Romeo y Jullieta Reserva Real robustos, and a bit of the weed for late night on the screen porch with the fire ripping along.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mother in law is here this year, so lots of my wife’s family traditions. 

Christmas Eve: Low country boil with crab, shrimp, sausage and corn. Wish we were having the steamed oysters too.

Christmas Day: breakfast sausage casserole, then fried cubed venison & gravy, green beans and biscuits for dinner

There will be a cheese ball at some point. 

I’m probably going to grab some tamales tomorrow for lunch. Can’t let that family tradition of mine pass me by.

Gonna crock pot a turkey breast. It’s been a rough month and just no time for anything fancy. I’ll try to broil it to see if I can get some nice skin. Also got a new crock from the in laws so gonna try it out. I’m sure it’ll be fine but not anything to be proud of. If the weather cooperates might do a brisket and pork butt in the smoker for New Year’s Eve and have some buddies over to watch the Liberty Bowl.

Ended up doing the following:

• Smoked whole beef tenderloin finished off by searing on grill
  • spiral sliced ham
  • garlic mashed potatoes 
  • green beans with almonds 
  • carrots with parsley and garlic
  • pecan, cherry and apple pies

we started (and finished) with this punch, which I modified from a punch recipe I found on the internet

• 2 bottles of champagne 
  • 1 bottle burgundy
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 8 ounces brandy or cognac
  • 2 cups pineapple juice
  • 8 ounces sparkling water

Edited by gaspar

Our traditional Christmas dinner:
- corned beef (in cabbage/potato/onion broth) 
- honey cornbread
- pumpkin pie (which I dislike)
- chocolate creme pie (which I don't dislike)

cornedbeef.jpg

glorious eating, and fairly low-cal to boot (minus the pies)

Edited to add photo

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Christmas Casserole slams and goes hard on your arteries:

b3f5e77beeaafad7cd8f1f104860f585.jpg

df5561a27db16f5025cc42b4d3eac624.jpg

The wife does the same thing, calls it breakfast casserole. Eggs, onions, red and green peppers hot and or sage sausage all topped with extra sharp cheddar cheese. What do you use for the crust ?  She uses white bread, which I hate. It needs to be something more flavorful or crescent roll dough IMO.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

The wife does the same thing, calls it breakfast casserole. Eggs, onions, red and green peppers hot and or sage sausage all topped with extra sharp cheddar cheese. What do you use for the crust ?  She uses white bread, which I hate. It needs to be something more flavorful or crescent roll dough IMO.

Peep the recipe above - We use croissants and sometimes challah.

• 2 years later...

Well......it was going to be BBQ fest at the folks house this afternoon/evening, but both mom and dad became sick this past week (hoping not Covid, considering they are both vaxxed and boosted) and we decided to pull the plug yesterday on any festivities, so we had nothing planned.  We are headed to Texas de Brazil here in a few hours, since it is open.

Alas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Since it’s just the two of us, we took the lazy route and ordered dinner from nearby place…. Ham, au gratin potatoes, rolls, apple pie.  Meal also came with chicken francaise, broccoli and Mac n cheese.  Freezing some ham and MC for later meal and chicken dish for dinner tomorrow. 

9D6721E1-ABA1-49BC-9951-B8A4445C84F6.thumb.jpeg.06845f1febd658533aa0984129e2e3b5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4