2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

39 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

so if this is a dumb question, i apologize, but lets say peters holds on and one of the georgia seats flips.  can bernie and king go from independents to democrats giving the senate a 50-50 split?

Bernie and Angus already caucus with the Ds, so they're part of the D count.

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

related: nothing matters.

This says more about the emotional and actual intelligence of the people who live in those two states than anything else. You have a mountain of evidence and reasons to stop electing both of them to the senate, but their emotional intelligence leads them to vote for those two just to be able to say “Suck it libs!” These votes are not being cast for them for any actual policy reasons. 

Since the Senate can't stop NY from prosecuting Cheeto, I'm good with it. All this will come to light and DOTARD will start naming names and tossing Pubs under the bus to get out from under and I'll be good with some public flogging. Also, buh-bye Barr, and better retain some legal counsel that knows that's it's illegal to vote multiple times, you sellout.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

None of the stars really jump out at you except mayyybe MI and PA but they have to play very little defense

Mostly from an overall numbers standpoint with 22Rs vs 12 Ds, but yeah the Ds are mostly in what shouldn’t be competitive states 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ossoff only needs like a net 20K more votes than Perdue to force a run-off. Along with the other GA run-off, it could decide the Senate majority...

That would be absolutely insane. As if 2020 couldn't get any more chaotic...it has to bring its fucking shit to 2021

Dems will probably get 50 or 51 in 2022. That's fine, it's not disastrous. Spend the first two years dealing with Covid, rebuilding relationships, alliances, and the day-to-day workings of government. There's a ton of work to do there that will take multiple years. Make that the goal of the first half of this term, then shoot for the senate in 2022 and that's when you push legislation.

Honestly, it's probably what would have happened even if the Dems got 50 this time around. There's too much to clean up and fix right now to really invest time into big legislation, I would think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Biden wins GA, then it looks like Ossoff goes to a run off.

Having Warnock and that q-seeking nut both go to Congress in the same year from the same state would define the poles of American politics.

That said, unfortunately, I don't think either Warnock or Ossoff win runoffs.

12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Could those two special elections cost half a billion dollars? I bet it's close. 

Based upon how Dems liked throwing money at obviously stupid and lost causes in Ky and SC they should be able to raise 500 or 600 million themselves for these two specials. Errrybody in the world gonna be forking over to act blue. 

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Could those two special elections cost half a billion dollars? I bet it's close. 

Potentially shifting the senate power for 2 years? That could be worth 100s of millions.

I have to think the conventional wisdom will be that the gop candidates would be favorites. 

14 minutes ago, swraith said:

I'm starting to get a bit of hope that Perdue falls below 50% in GA allowing Ossoff to go to a runoff.  Didn't think there was any hope last night.

It’s down to he needs to be +20k or so on what’s outstanding (if everyone voted for senate which they wouldn’t have). So Ossoff only needs to be like 59-40 to force runoff. That’s pretty much a guarantee at this point in time. I did the math and Bidens about to go +30,000 so call that +29,800 for Ossof. That has Biden winning by about 6,000 votes and Ossoff avoiding runoff by about 9,500 votes. 
caveat- no idea how many military votes are outstanding. 

Dems will probably get 50 or 51 in 2022. That's fine, it's not disastrous. Spend the first two years dealing with Covid, rebuilding relationships, alliances, and the day-to-day workings of government. There's a ton of work to do there that will take multiple years. Make that the goal of the first half of this term, then shoot for the senate in 2022 and that's when you push legislation.
Honestly, it's probably what would have happened even if the Dems got 50 this time around. There's too much to clean up and fix right now to really invest time into big legislation, I would think.

Solid take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perdue has an almost identical vote count to Trump.  I take that to mean every Trump voter also voted for Perdue.

Ossoff is running almost 100k votes behind Biden.  Who are the 100k people voting for Biden but not Ossoff?

The Libertarian party senate candidate has over 100k votes.  Did 100k LP voters vote for Biden and then their candidate for Senate?  If so, that seems....weird.

I’m not going to check it, but I hope Peters won by 100 votes.

tons of out of state repubs love John James and think he could run for president some day. I’m in an agitated mood after the big picture results, so I’d love for him to lose two times in a row and the second time agonizingly close. Hopefully he gets the hint and stops running for senator in Michigan, fuck him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, swraith said:

I'm starting to get a bit of hope that Perdue falls below 50% in GA allowing Ossoff to go to a runoff.  Didn't think there was any hope last night.

Posted this in the prez thread:

I took the data from the link below and extrapolate to get 100% votes (presuming current split holds for each county):

Perdue Ossoff
Total Votes 2572855 2466318
% 49.87% 47.81%

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-elections/georgia-senate-results?icid=election_usmap

57 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m not going to check it, but I hope Peters won by 100 votes.

tons of out of state repubs love John James and think he could run for president some day. I’m in an agitated mood after the big picture results, so I’d love for him to lose two times in a row and the second time agonizingly close. Hopefully he gets the hint and stops running for senator in Michigan, fuck him.

Peters was the one race I wanted. He lost by almost the same margin as Trump- didn’t run ahead of him on a relative basis.  Likely ends his political career.