2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And it's 10X harder in the difficult areas/terrain.

Bottom line, it's a buttfuckingly stupid idea.  And it always has been.  Limited physical barriers in places where they will be most effective.  That's what makes sense, and that's pretty much what we already have.  If there's a proposal that says "hey, there's a 5 mile gap here where more barrier would really help," then present that.  "WALL!" is not a proposal.  It's a fucking slogan.

Which was kind of my point in the other lengthy post I had on the cost of this thing.  In it I gave the 3 gorges dam and Hoover Dam for comparison.  Part of the point there was to show that before dollar one was approved for construction, there were years of design considerations, feasibility studies, buy in, environmental impact, and an actual plan.  In addition to all that, at least in the case of the Hoover dam, there was positive public support.

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a trump supporter, but if you are that's great for you

Why is everyone talking about a concrete wall or even a real wall at all? In my opinion this has nothing to do with actually building anything and more to do with the Political promise that Trump would do something at the border because he said he would. No one thinks 5.7B is enough money to sprinkle dogshit along the border let alone build a fucking wall, which is why I think everyone is delusional about this ending in the next week or 2. He's gone full loco(literally) and is going to die(figuratively) on THIS hill, I know this isn't the world we WANT to be living in, but get woke mother fuckers this is the world we live in. 

Shit hasn't even begun to get bad WRT government shutdown - once this starts to bleed into lives of people in places that "never thought a government shutdown" would touch is when there will be some interesting developments. We are still weeks, if not months away from that - it's a shitty truth, but USAA and all these credit unions giving furlough loans etc aren't going to be going tits up any time soon and until that funding dries up there really isn't a "demonstrable" risk, just a perceived risk that is being force fed down our throats by the media. Until there are real losses realized by corporate entities, the wealthy, and even the middle class there is not going to be enough pressure to unfuck this political conundrum we find ourselves in.

I will say this, Trump did not cause the shutdown our entire broken ass government did. There's no excuse not to have your shit together for a budget cycle to fund the core of our governmental system on a continuous basis. Trump is definitely making the most out of a situation that presented itself not only for distraction from other stuff, but also to just appeal to the sect of Americans that everyone seems to forget exists. Did everyone forget that Beto just lost Texas even though every major metro was blue? There are TONS of "Longview Texas's" all over the country and the vast majority of his support base comes from these places where a fucking bogus ass message like the one he gave from the oval office last week would resonate. He isn't fucking talking to me or many of the people who post on this board, if you are trying to figure out the mechanics of how this works you are not his audience, because that audience is asking for full on immigration reform that WORKS for our country. He's talking to the "sheeple", the plebian army that has "had enough" of our "failing government" and wants to "make america great again". He's talking to other trump supporters - and there are A LOT of trump supporters if you haven't forgotten.

Why is everyone talking about a concrete wall or even a real wall at all? In my opinion this has nothing to do with actually building anything and more to do with the Political promise that Trump would do something at the border because he said he would. No one thinks 5.7B is enough money to sprinkle dogshit along the border let alone build a fucking wall, which is why I think everyone is delusional about this ending in the next week or 2. He's gone full loco(literally) and is going to die(figuratively) on THIS hill, I know this isn't the world we WANT to be living in, but get woke mother fuckers this is the world we live in. 
Shit hasn't even begun to get bad WRT government shutdown - once this starts to bleed into lives of people in places that "never thought a government shutdown" would touch is when there will be some interesting developments. We are still weeks, if not months away from that - it's a shitty truth, but USAA and all these credit unions giving furlough loans etc aren't going to be going tits up any time soon and until that funding dries up there really isn't a "demonstrable" risk, just a perceived risk that is being force fed down our throats by the media. Until there are real losses realized by corporate entities, the wealthy, and even the middle class there is not going to be enough pressure to unfuck this political conundrum we find ourselves in.
I will say this, Trump did not cause the shutdown our entire broken ass government did. There's no excuse not to have your shit together for a budget cycle to fund the core of our governmental system on a continuous basis. Trump is definitely making the most out of a situation that presented itself not only for distraction from other stuff, but also to just appeal to the sect of Americans that everyone seems to forget exists. Did everyone forget that Beto just lost Texas even though every major metro was blue? There are TONS of "Longview Texas's" all over the country and the vast majority of his support base comes from these places where a fucking bogus ass message like the one he gave from the oval office last week would resonate. He isn't fucking talking to me or many of the people who post on this board, if you are trying to figure out the mechanics of how this works you are not his audience, because that audience is asking for full on immigration reform that WORKS for our country. He's talking to the "sheeple", the plebian army that has "had enough" of our "failing government" and wants to "make america great again". He's talking to other trump supporters - and there are A LOT of trump supporters if you haven't forgotten.

This is our concern, dude.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And it's 10X harder in the difficult areas/terrain.

Bottom line, it's a buttfuckingly stupid idea.  And it always has been.  Limited physical barriers in places where they will be most effective.  That's what makes sense, and that's pretty much what we already have.  If there's a proposal that says "hey, there's a 5 mile gap here where more barrier would really help," then present that.  "WALL!" is not a proposal.  It's a fucking slogan.

<Mopac>Hey now, what difficult areas?  Who knew rock was hard?<Mopac>

Think about this.  WMT's capex budget in any random year is around $11B and they're just building bit box stores and remodels.  That's what they get for $11B.  Now imagine a 2,000 mile concrete wall.

Another comparison is the LA Rams football stadium.  It's going to come in around $2B all in when it's done and that's one fucking football stadium.  Now imagine a 2,000 mile wall.

Now imagine all of these immigrants are white.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

also this is worthy of note: I am not going to moderate this thread at all except for racism/sexism/etc and death threats since I have posted in here that disqualifies me as an unbiased moderator on this topic.

If one were to do all three -- say, threaten to kill a gay beaner for Jesus, would those all cancel out, and it would be cool?  Asking for a racist, homophobic, violent friend.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you give Trump the $5.7B today, he will ask (demand) $25B tomorrow.   $30B more the next day.  This is as good of a time to have this fight over his wall.  If you push the discussion/fight off long enough, the argument will come down to annual maintenance costs of the 2000 mile wall.

And, ultimately, this is why the Dems aren't budging and shouldn't budge.  As young parents, I remember us taking to heart the "don't negotiate with terrorists" advice.  If your toddler flops to the floor, screaming and demanding cookies in HEB, the one thing you do NOT do is...put the cookies in the basket.  You tell him no.  You let him have a minor tantrum.  If he's being obnoxious and won't stop, you leave the store, including walking away from your full grocery cart, and take him outside till he decides to behave.

Trump is having his tantrum and making his demand.  We the people, and our elected representatives have a full menu of options before us. The only thing that is off the table is "reward the tantrum by giving him what he wants."  Doing that would guarantee only one thing: endless repetition of this exercise.  We'll be the parents of the screaming sugar-loaded brat in HEB who demands everything and gets it just to shut him up, costing us ridiculous money and creating an incredibly unhealthy diet and family.  All you have to do is tell the toddler "no" and stand your ground.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If one were to do all three -- say, threaten to kill a gay beaner for Jesus, would those all cancel out, and it would be cool?  Asking for a racist, homophobic, violent friend.

And, ultimately, this is why the Dems aren't budging and shouldn't budge.  As young parents, I remember us taking to heart the "don't negotiate with terrorists" advice.  If your toddler flops to the floor, screaming and demanding cookies in HEB, the one thing you do NOT do is...put the cookies in the basket.  You tell him no.  You let him have a minor tantrum.  If he's being obnoxious and won't stop, you leave the store, including walking away from your full grocery cart, and take him outside till he decides to behave.

Trump is having his tantrum and making his demand.  We the people, and our elected representatives have a full menu of options before us. The only thing that is off the table is "reward the tantrum by giving him what he wants."  Doing that would guarantee only one thing: endless repetition of this exercise.  We'll be the parents of the screaming sugar-loaded brat in HEB who demands everything and gets it just to shut him up, costing us ridiculous money and creating an incredibly unhealthy diet and family.  All you have to do is tell the toddler "no" and stand your ground.  

Yep. Any parent understands this situation. And the "Trump is a toddler" narrative seems to be sticking.

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fake news. DHS says all is fine. 

Family vacation flights are booked in June.  But if this shit isn't cleared up by then, no way in hell I'm dragging two kids under the age of 10 into that hellhole.

Edit.  Forgot to add; if this shit isn't cleared up by then, we probably aren't going anyplace anyway, since that will be over 6 months since my wife's last paycheck.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

A lot (read 9/11) has changed since 1981.  If TSA and PATCO walked today, the Pilot and flight attendant unions would walk as well.  Shutting down air travel would cripple the economy.

And that's exactly what they should do.

There's a myth, believed by millions, that the government is just a leech that doesn't do anything.  Fine.  Shut down the whole. Fucking.  Thing.  No more air travel.  No more ships coming into or leaving harbors.  Real-deal OPEN BORDERS (nobody should man our international bridges).  No more medicare for the old folks.  No more SS payments processed.  No more SNAP benefits to poor folks.  No tax refunds.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.

People are going to die.  Fuck, people NEED to die, for the moron class to realize that "huh, turns out the government actually DOES do something."

Air travel should shut down completely, and ASAP.  Enough of this bullshit.  Trump wants to play stupid games, then award him stupid prizes.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you give Trump the $5.7B today, he will ask (demand) $25B tomorrow.   $30B more the next day.  This is as good of a time to have this fight over his wall.  If you push the discussion/fight off long enough, the argument will come down to annual maintenance costs of the 2000 mile wall.

If you pay a terrorist to release his hostages, he's just going to take more hostages. If you don't pay him and he kills his hostages, it's not your fault they died. He's the murderer, not you. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's a myth, believed by millions, that the government is just a leech that doesn't do anything.  Fine.  Shut down the whole. Fucking.  Thing.  No more air travel.  No more ships coming into or leaving harbors.  Real-deal OPEN BORDERS (nobody should man our international bridges).  No more medicare for the old folks.  No more SS payments processed.  No more SNAP benefits to poor folks.  No tax refunds.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.

People are going to die.  Fuck, people NEED to die, for the moron class to realize that "huh, turns out the government actually DOES do something."

Air travel should shut down completely, and ASAP.  Enough of this bullshit.  Trump wants to play stupid games, then award him stupid prizes.

While this is the most extreme of the extreme examples - this is the only thing that will end the shutdown with the current players involved. 

I think there's a half assed middle ground where they pass funding for Dept of treasure and dept of homeland security and leave everything else unfunded.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

If you pay a terrorist to release his hostages, he's just going to take more hostages. If you don't pay him and he kills his hostages, it's not your fault they died. He's the murderer, not you. 

This.  Trump has a gun to the head of the country. And he LITERALLY has control over things that will mean whether some people live or die.  Some of them will die.  That's on Trump's hands.  If he wants to murder American people, then he will do so.  

Not all hostage situations get wrapped up neatly in a 60 minute long TV show.  In the real world, terrorists kill hostages because any government worth its salt doesn't negotiate with them.  And, those governments then hunt down and destroy the terrorists, and those who fund and support them.  That's what we should do.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Govt isn't at that level of a shutdown.  I suppose if they hit the debt ceiling, we could see Border Control, military and SS shut down as well.   

I'm in favor of TSA and air traffic going home.  It forces the negotiation immediately.   Rip the band aid off.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

While this is the most extreme of the extreme examples - this is the only thing that will end the shutdown with the current players involved. 

I think there's a half assed middle ground where they pass funding for Dept of treasure and dept of homeland security and leave everything else unfunded.

Why would they do that?

Every moment of suffering is on Trump.  The more he causes, the more he loses.  Play the long game.  When you do that, some people are going to die/suffer now.  But you play it so that overall, over time, fewer people suffer.  Stand firm.  Don't budge.  Watch him destroy himself.

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I basically travel for a living, if the precheck line takes an hour and a half to get through.....I'm not going to sugarcoat this...I will be......pissed. Royally pissed.

BUSINESS TRAVELERS ARE NOT A MONOLITH!

Call Mitch McConnell, tell him to eat a dick.

Call your Senators, tell them to do their fucking jobs.  I don't know if some critical mass will ever be enough to make them do their jobs, but it's worth a shot.

Otherwise, gas up your car and load up on Slim Jims, you better drive instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

When us older folks sit back and look at the big picture of how things are playing out, the though should be that this is what is going on behind the scenes.  Trump has his optic talking point to force a full on immigration reform bill from Congress that covers everything single thing from border security, to work visas, to current illegals, to family immigration, to HIB's, and anything else that I left out.   Not sure that that is happening, but I have hope.

At the end of the day, he's not budging (whether you like it or not) so it becomes very simple with options for Congress and it is now in their court completely:

1)Keep the government closed

2)Send him a bill that he will sign

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

4)Impeach/Convict and remove him and start over with Pence.

That's it.  These are the four routes that we can go.  I wish all of the decisions in life had this few options.

-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Call Mitch McConnell, tell him to eat a dick.

Call your Senators, tell them to do their fucking jobs.  I don't know if some critical mass will ever be enough to make them do their jobs, but it's worth a shot.

Otherwise, gas up your car and load up on Slim Jims, you better drive instead.

I have to go to Cincinnati at the end of the month...I'm actually hoping this continues so I don't have to go.  

• Like 2

Seriously all of you.  Stay healthy, make sure you prioritize the important things in your life, and stay away form the twitters.

My little grand dog got bit at a dog park this Sat. morn.  He's fine, but the whole family was so riled up -- going to be a nightmare when there is actually a human grand kid who gets bitten at the dog park.

We've gotta keep our heads until this wall craze blows over.

Saw in the comments (why do I do this to myself?) of some tweet or another that federal govt workers are all overpaid and if they are suffering right now it's because they weren't smart enough to save for a rainy day, and WALL WALL WALL!!   So while Trump's numbers have gone down, I don't know that there is a floor beyond which his support will diminish to the point that he, or even Congress, will take notice.  In other words, a la Brisket, we're all gonna die.  Or at least be mortally inconvenienced when we have to fly.  Like I have to, twice in the next month.  So, fuck me I guess.  

1 minute ago, Whitman said:

When us older folks sit back and look at the big picture of how things are playing out, the though should be that this is what is going on behind the scenes.  Trump has his optic talking point to force a full on immigration reform bill from Congress that covers everything single thing from border security, to work visas, to current illegals, to family immigration, to HIB's, and anything else that I left out.   Not sure that that is happening, but I have hope.

At the end of the day, he's not budging (whether you like it or not) so it becomes very simple with options for Congress and it is now in their court completely:

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

That's it.  These are the four routes that we can go.  I wish all of the decisions in life had this few options.

-

Genius brain here truly gets Trump's secret master plan.

10 minutes ago, Whitman said:

-

He could also just invoke those emergency executive powers that he has been talking about.  Why not done?

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Have to go to Boston next week. Hoping for the same fuck going up there in January

Screw you guys, I need to get to Switzerland for some skiing on Feb. 2nd.  The Turtle and Agent Orange better get this thing back open by then.

• Like 1

Just now, Whitman said:

I said I'm not sure it's happening, but I would hope so.  Do you struggle reading thru your emotional tantrums?

Lulz, you see some mild criticism as a tantrum? You need some thicker skin.

While we're hoping for some truly insane shit, I'll hope that Charlize Theron will show up on my doorstep this evening to give me a trillion dollars.

13 minutes ago, M12BH said:

So while Trump's numbers have gone down, I don't know that there is a floor beyond which his support will diminish to the point that he, or even Congress, will take notice.  In other words, a la Brisket, we're all gonna die. 

There is a floor.  That is why the Trump administration said they would try to get tax refunds out  no matter what, even though the IRS normally won’t issue refunds during government shutdowns.  

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump wants to keep the shutdown going because he hates America and he’s on the run. 

There is nothing this guy has done to help the United States unless there was something in it for himself politically or financially.

This is why I put the blame squarely on the Turtle's shoulders.  He could end this in an instant by allowing a vote in the Senate. 

When us "younger" folks sit back and look at the big picture of how things are playing out, the though should be that this is what is going on behind the scenes.  Trump has his optic talking point to force a full on immigration reform bill from Congress that covers everything single thing from border security, to work visas, to current illegals, to family immigration, to HIB's, and anything else that I left out.   

At the end of the day, Democrats aren't budging (whether you like it or not) so it becomes very simple with options for Trump and it is now in his court completely:

2)Shove 2 Big Macs up his ass and see if he can keep from eating the rest of the day

3)Call Mother and order her to have Pence sleep under his desk again 

4)Continue to yell "DO SOMETHING!" at his mushroom dick ever since it became an innie

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

There is a floor.  That is why the Trump administration said they would try to get tax refunds out  no matter what, even though the IRS normally won’t issue refunds during government shutdowns.  

With the IRS shutdown and fewer, if any, auditors in place, would this be a good year to commit tax fraud?

Asking for a friend.

20 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Trump has his optic talking point to force a full on immigration reform bill from Congress that covers everything single thing from border security, to work visas, to current illegals, to family immigration, to HIB's, and anything else that I left out.   Not sure that that is happening, but I have hope.-

You actually think Trump may be thinking to that depth?  He is only concerned about having to defend a totally undoable campaign promise in the 2020 debates.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

With the IRS shutdown and fewer, if any, auditors in place, would this be a good year to commit tax fraud?

Asking for a friend.

My friend was thinking the same thing. 

Also, re floor.  It occurs to me the floor doesn’t look much different than this.  30% of people love him and you are going to see 30+ in every poll. The issue is those other 70 become both more and more likely to vote against him and more and more likely to turn out to vote.  So we get the 2016 election (51-49) versus 2018 wave (54-46) versus historic blowout potential (65-35) without his actual approval changing much. 

It would be cool if Senators and House Reps did their fucking jobs and kept funding lapses from happening to begin with.

It would also be cool if someone fucking drafted some type of immigration reform legislation that could be the primary focus of this and allocate 5.7B to implement it.

• Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story