Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The Trumpers will never, ever see the light.  We want Mattis to speak out, however, to encourage other people to speak out.  Look at all the people who decided to speak out after the whistle blower complaint was released.  

It's not about the Trumpers.  It's about the invertebrates in Congress who will have to defend trump's actions.  It's about the current military brass, who has been asked to act as trump's private militia to make him money/appease Putin.  It's about the people still working in the executive branch, be they rank and file who might be the next whistle blower or the D list of the GOP.

and I'm not arguing that fact, I'm just sharing what he's said on record as to why he has chosen not to speak out publicly yet

36 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i actually miss the somewhat intellectual back and forth of the old days (Shaggy), but the logical or cogent defense of this President is so threadbare, that doesn't make it possible.

Every defense is on it's surface so shallow and ridiculous.That is why the more thoughtful right leaning, conservative voices have disappeared around here. They have choose to disappear, recognizing that there is no sound argument for what is going on with this President.

what's left is shrill whataboutism, random posts about professors/racist cartoons, and antifa videos which on one in these rooms are defending. Winning?

This.  Shaggy before Trump wasn't this much of a shit show.  Cloak Room did have its loonies on both sides but there could still be valid discussions with reasonable talking points.  Posts were more substance and less personal attacks on each other.

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Liz Cheney: The Democrats are responsible for Turkey's Invasion of Syria

https://news.yahoo.com/liz-cheney-blames-turkey-invasion-191851030.html

LULZ:

After Kilmeade agreed with Cheney, the Republican lawmaker added that it “was not an accident that the Turks chose this moment to roll across the border.”

It couldn't have had anything to do with Trump talking to Erdogan and then pulling our troops, now, could it Liz?

For fuck's sake.

6 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

This.  Shaggy before Trump wasn't this much of a shit show.  Cloak Room did have its loonies on both sides but there could still be valid discussions with reasonable talking points.  Posts were more substance and less personal attacks on each other.

I don't know that it's possible to have substantive discussions with the right now, though.  The Trump GOP lies about things, and spews invective and racism.  Even if I wanted to have a substantive discussion about say, immigration reform, how does that happen when one "side"/political party is putting children in camps, pretending to build a useless monument to racism, and telling brown congresswomen to go back to their country.  Or health care, when one side outright lies about what it's doing (trying to end protection for preexisting conditions, cutting Medicare, etc.).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It didn’t prevent him from taking a civilian job within the administration, it sure as shit shouldn’t prevent him from speaking out.

How General Mattis was portrayed in Generation Kill. In reality he is the one standing around with his foot on his dick.

tumblr_mj9qdt6Iyo1rylr5to1_400.gif

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

"Impeach the Pres."

I've been hopeful a coalition would begin to be built, but I'll be honest I didn't expect it to extend here.

Those Q people will go down some rabbit holes with that one.

I think he wrestled his phone away from the excoriator.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

Yeah but we hardly ever had posts about liberal professor’s views on spongebob squarepants in the shag cloak room. Now on surly we have entire threads dedicated to the subject. 

Sometimes, ya gotta look at the big picture. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

i actually miss the somewhat intellectual back and forth of the old days (Shaggy), but the logical or cogent defense of this President is so threadbare, that doesn't make it possible.

Every defense is on it's surface so shallow and ridiculous.That is why the more thoughtful right leaning, conservative voices have disappeared around here. They have choose to disappear, recognizing that there is no sound argument for what is going on with this President.

what's left is shrill whataboutism, random posts about professors/racist cartoons, and antifa videos which on one in these rooms are defending. Winning?

That reminds me- I haven't seen any clever gifs of DOTARD drinking Killarly's tears, or triggered liberals shaking with their eyes bulging.

Regarding the bolded part in your post: The "thoughtful conservative voices" are as anti-Trump as the liberals. The rest of the right leaners have disappeared, too cowardly to come in here and defend this abortion of a presidency. With the exception of EWasomely dumb and GR, that is, so kudos to them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Here's his public stance, his resignation letter:

Dear Mr. President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.
I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.
One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.
Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model - gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions - to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.
My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.
Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability Within the Department.
I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.
I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.

DOTARD: tldr

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The trial when you’ll have your chance isn’t until it reaches the Senate, dumbass (Trump not 4th&5).

Its really too bad that the GOP has zero members on any of the three committees as of right now. 

Edited by shnsajax

yeah...the genuine, thoughtful, non-hypocritical conservative thinkers among us are probably even more appalled than your average liberal bc Trump is still ostensibly wearing his 'Team R' Jersey. 

the ones still defending and obfuscating and 'just asking questions' aren't thoughtful. they are purely in it for the libtears.

problem is we're ALL crying now.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Eisenhower was active-duty, Supreme Allied Commander Europe until May of 1952.  He retired and started campaigning full-time the next month.   He won the Presidency 6 months later, and took office in January of 53.   

Mattis is under no obligation to stay silent.  

Ike didn't have a book to sell.

It will probably get lost in the other quotes from the tape, but here's Bonnen talking about derp leader. 

Instead of killing each other and wasting a lot of money and energy, and I'm not being funny when I say this, and in 2022 if you want to come try and kill me and Dustin and every other person you can find, I would hope you would not feel you should or you need to, but fair. I just think we've got to get through 2020, guarantee if we try and hold this majority — which, with all due respect to Trump, who I Iove, by the way — he's killing us in urban-suburban districts," Bonnen says.

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

It will probably get lost in the other quotes from the tape, but here's Bonnen talking about derp leader. 

Instead of killing each other and wasting a lot of money and energy, and I'm not being funny when I say this, and in 2022 if you want to come try and kill me and Dustin and every other person you can find, I would hope you would not feel you should or you need to, but fair. I just think we've got to get through 2020, guarantee if we try and hold this majority — which, with all due respect to Trump, who I Iove, by the way — he's killing us in urban-suburban districts," Bonnen says.

Hey, y'all remember those principled conservatives we all hear about?  Keep looking.....you still won't find any.  It's the party of Trump.  That's all it is.

3 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Identity politics are such a fun thing, aren't they?

I think even during peak Obama, when everybody and their brother seemed to have those HOPE posters,, we didn't have this many people so obsessed with, and  their identities so heavily invested in, Obama being President.  I just can't recall that many who were rabid about it.  

Granted, I wasn't involved with either major party at that point, so maybe I missed out on it, but I had relatives who were into Obama being President, but they weren't defined by it, or maybe a better word/phrase is consumed with it.  And when Obama fucked up or did something wrong, they were more than willing to get pissed off and make it publicly known that they were pissed off.  My relatives who are into Trump being President, they act as though they have a personal stake, and they feel the need to defend him over everything.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Identity politics are such a fun thing, aren't they?

I think even during peak Obama, when everybody and their brother seemed to have those HOPE posters,, we didn't have this many people so obsessed with, and  their identities so heavily invested in, Obama being President.  I just can't recall that many who were rabid about it.  

Granted, I wasn't involved with either major party at that point, so maybe I missed out on it, but I had relatives who were into Obama being President, but they weren't defined by it, or maybe a better word/phrase is consumed with it.  And when Obama fucked up or did something wrong, they were more than willing to get pissed off and make it publicly known that they were pissed off.  My relatives who are into Trump being President, they act as though they have a personal stake, and they feel the need to defend him over everything.

Meanwhile, in every accusation being a confession, remember "the messiah."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah but we hardly ever had posts about liberal professor’s views on spongebob squarepants in the shag cloak room. Now on surly we have entire threads dedicated to the subject. 

Sometimes, ya gotta look at the big picture. 

My recollection is that there were plenty of such stories as regular grist for the hate engine: Scary black men hanging around a polling place (Black Panthers taking over!); an obscure professor's left wing extremist stupid dissertation (Education bad, full of Reds!); inane ramblings of obscure (always black female) Dem congressperson (Ebil lib voice of ebil lib party!).

There were certainly GOPs and conservatives above this sort of thing, but the appearance and cheerleading of this stuff was regular. It was a big part of the playbook just like using "both sides" when the virtuous adult GOPs got caught doing something wicked.

These tactics didn't just appear with Trump. He just seized the wheel of the hate engine and shifted into overdrive.

Screen_Shot_2017-03-24_at_10.45.05_AM.pn

Edited by RomaVicta
out of control sausage fingers