Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

Bad!

I love that they’re cotonf the statement of Zelensky....made while Trump glared at him...while Ukraine still depends on the good will of the POTUS for arguably its very survival. It’s like citing a statement of a hostage with a gun to his head - “he said I’m not a criminal and never threatened him! Case closed!”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-ponders-violent-retribution-as-the-white-house-projects-impeachment-calm

As President Donald Trump wrapped up his swing through New York City on Thursday, he stopped by the luxury restaurant Cipriani to deliver remarks at a high-roller breakfast fundraiser. 

Fresh off meetings at the United Nations, the president clearly couldn’t take his mind off a certain anonymous whistleblower whose recently declassified complaint has threatened to blow up his administration. According to an attendee at the breakfast, Trump brandished a printed copy of the memo of his now-infamous Ukraine phone call, flaunting it as he blasted Democratic lawmakers for being mean to him. After waving the document around and receiving cheers from the gathering of Republican donors and supporters, the president boasted about how much money—$13 million in 24 hours—he had raised for his reelection effort, the attendee noted.

It was yet another illustration of how Trump’s big week in New York has been overshadowed and bedeviled by revelations that he and his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani had urged Ukrainian officials to investigate the son of Joe Biden, the former vice president who remains likely to be Trump’s 2020 election opponent. 

Over the past few days, the president has helped raise millions for the 2020 fight and has been lavished with praise by world leaders. And yet he’s remained, through it all, obsessed over the scandal unfolding back in Washington, D.C., as Democratic members of Congress inched closer to impeachment proceedings. According to three people with knowledge of the situation, Trump has compulsively monitored TV and cable-news coverage of the Ukraine-related scandal and has repeatedly asked those around him about the whistleblower and rumors that the complainant is hostile to or biased against him.

Through it all, the president’s demeanor and approach to the rapidly unfolding scandal has vacillated between spoiling for a fight and hoping for a détente. Often, it depended on who he was talking to or what setting he found himself in. According to those in attendance at his Thursday breakfast fundraiser, the president was upbeat and fired up, telling donors that he and his political team were ready to punch back hard. In private, however, there was genuine consternation regarding how a brutal impeachment process would affect his legacy and his White House, with much of his staff sharing those same anxieties. Those close to Trump say the president never expected House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to back any major impeachment moves—at least not until this week.

Although one senior White House aide said the mood there “is fine,” others said Trump has taken the past week personally, as if Democrats and what his allies call the “deep state” had just crashed his party. 

Spoiler

On Tuesday, the president took to Twitter to accuse liberals of deliberately ruining and degrading his “important day” at the UN. And according to a Los Angeles Times report, Trump also used his time at a private event for U.S. officials at the Intercontinental Hotel in New York on Thursday morning to rage about the whistleblower and whoever supplied that individual with information. 

“I want to know who’s the person—who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information? Because that’s close to a spy,” Trump said, speaking just as Joseph Maguire, his acting director of national intelligence, testified about the whistleblower complaint detailing allegations that the president pressured the Ukrainian government to interfere in the 2020 election and that White House officials attempted to cover up records of that call. “You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason—we used to handle it a little differently than we do now.”

It is unclear what punishments the president has envisioned and the White House did not provide clarification on it when asked. According to the senior White House official, shortly after the president returned to the White House on Thursday, he told his lieutenants that there was no current need to start a “war room” or any special initiative to combat impeachment fever. 

A report that Trump was bringing back his former 2016 campaign manager Corey Lewandowski to spearhead such an effort, the official said, was an attempt at “self-aggrandizement” by those officials on the outside. And the White House, indeed, subsequently denied the reports. In the president’s inner circle, some continued to believe that the rush to embrace impeachment by Democratic leadership amounted to a politically tinged bluff.

This is all theater,” Jay Sekulow, one of Trump’s lawyers who worked with Giuliani to defend the president during the Mueller probe, told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “Nancy Pelosi didn’t announce anything that hasn’t been going on already,” he added, referring to how House Democrats had weeks ago declared they were launching proceedings simply to decide if they should impeach Trump. 

While the White House was attempting to project an all-is-calm demeanor, outside groups were preparing for war. According to a senior Republican National Committee official, the RNC’s in house research team has begun putting together materials to counter-attack House Democrats and a “war room” of its own to deal with Trump impeachment. 

As Trumpworld’s strategy for how to handle growing impeachment woes comes together, the president and his staff will have to adjust to a reality in which even less progress is made on his agenda than was before. 

Earlier in the week, a senior administration official bemoaned how much of a gigantic pain impeachment proceedings would be for the White House staff to manage. The official said that is, in part, because being impeached would inevitably devastate Trump’s focus, mood, actions, and agenda for the remainder of his first term. And White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham has said that “House Democrats have destroyed any chances of legislative progress for the people of this country by continuing to focus” on impeachment.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The replies are awesome though. 

No shit.  So that's an actual NYT account?  I'm going to assume many  or most of it's followers are NYT subscribers or at least readers.  

I always thought NYT readers were generally better educated and on the liberal side of things.  If that is true, holy shit we are all truly fucked. 

Man, I just finished a business dinner and I never talk politics or religion but somehow my client (around 40 years old) started talking about the news today and I said it looks like Trump may be in trouble.  Next thing I know this guy is going off on how Biden and his son are the crooks not Trump and Trump is the greatest president ever, the economy is the best this country has ever seen thanks to him, the world loves us again thanks to him, and on and on and on.  He then added that Trump cleaned up the housing mess caused by the Democrats that Obama couldn’t fix.  I had maybe too many bourbons so I asked if he watches Fox News and he said it is the only real news and everything else is fake.  I said maybe go look at Reuters, BBC, AP, instead of CNN and MSNBC and see if those are more neutral and he railed on about how all of those are liberal and lie about our president.  I will add that this guy is a very smart, successful business man and I was kind of shocked.  If people like him believe everything they are told by Trump and Fox News I think I may have to take my bottle of William Larue Weller and join Brisket on his ledge.  Holy Shit!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Man, I just finished a business dinner and I never talk politics or religion but somehow my client (around 40 years old) started talking about the news today and I said it looks like Trump may be in trouble.  Next thing I know this guy is going off on how Biden and his son are the crooks not Trump and Trump is the greatest president ever, the economy is the best this country has ever seen thanks to him, the world loves us again thanks to him, and on and on and on.  He then added that Trump cleaned up the housing mess caused by the Democrats that Obama couldn’t fix.  I had maybe too many bourbons so I asked if he watches Fox News and he said it is the only real news and everything else is fake.  I said maybe go look at Reuters, BBC, AP, instead of CNN and MSNBC and see if those are more neutral and he railed on about how all of those are liberal and lie about our president.  I will add that this guy is a very smart, successful business man and I was kind of shocked.  If people like him believe everything they are told by Trump and Fox News I think I may have to take my bottle of William Larue Weller and join Brisket on his ledge.  Holy Shit!

There is a special place in hell for Murdoch and Ailes. They have destroyed this country.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Once someone is brainwashed, it's very difficult to un-wash.

So I just switched Fox News on for the hell of it since its halftime of the NFL game and they are talking about how everything Trump did is legal and this the call and complaint are not criminal and not impeachable.  It’s like I live in a different fucking world.  I swear they could say the Bahamas is fine after the hurricane and half the country would agree and say those damn Bahamians are just trying to get money from the rest of the world.  It’s sick.

Hey man can you learn how to paragraph?
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was thinking you had dinner with OnBoard until I got to the part where you said this person was smart.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Among the powerful voices advising Lachlan that Fox should decisively break with the president is former House speaker

Paul Ryan, who joined the Fox board in March. “Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now he has the power to do something about it,” an executive who’s spoken with Ryan told me.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Welcome to the party pal!
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will add that this guy is a very smart

Yeah, here's the thing. I used to think the same about some of the people I know, but if the guy you know thinks Fox News is the only legit news source, and the BBC, Reuters, NPR etc are all liberal, then he'd not very smart. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, zork said:

did you contribute?

Also, just to be clear, Schiff announced his reading as parody but should be removed for inaccurate sensationalism.  Trump effectively calls for execution of whistleblowers without any such caveat and is forgiven because others attribute, on his behalf, that he wasn’t serious. 

I just can’t fathom how someone reasonably believes both these things. 

• Like 1

It's nothing worth getting worked up over, but even if Donald knew what the punctuation mark is called, it's still inappropriate and superfluous usage.  Whether he spells the word "little" or "liddle" the tailing apostrophe makes no sense, because nothing was lopped off the word (as in "Donnie's Lil' Brain").

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's nothing worth getting worked up over, but even if Donald knew what the punctuation mark is called, it's still inappropriate and superfluous usage.  Whether he spells the word "little" or "liddle" the tailing apostrophe makes no sense, because nothing was lopped off the word (as in "Donnie's Lil' Brain").

He spels n' gramers like us!