Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But we've tested those hypotheses.  They utterly failed.  I'm smart enough to look at the results and say "huh - that didn't turn out the way I expected, I guess I was wrong." 

I changed my mind when Clinton raised taxes and America didn't sink into the abyss, but rather went on an economic run like none other.  Seems that since then any time taxes are lowered, shit hits the fan and we start over.  Now I'm not saying taxes should be ultra high, but obviously there is a sweet spot and "lower than what it is today" isn't always the right answer.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I changed my mind when Clinton raised taxes and America didn't sink into the abyss, but rather went on an economic run like none other.  Seems that since then any time taxes are lowered, shit hits the fan and we start over.  Now I'm not saying taxes should be ultra high, but obviously there is a sweet spot and "lower than what it is today" isn't always the right answer.

Exactly.

The "taxation is theft" ethos is indefensible, and irreconcilable with the fact that we live in a communal society.  Just as the "whatever the problem is, let's just spend more money" would be an indefensible counterpoint.

I'm certainly displeased with how some of my tax dollars are spent (inefficiently, with little positive purpose, etc.).  But I'm likewise displeased that we don't adequately fund certain things that ARE of real value (both short and long term) - like education.  One can -- and should, if one is politically engaged - hold both of those beliefs at the same time.  Taxes are neither good nor bad.  They are a tool, which is sometimes used too much, too little, wisely, or poorly.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The debate was the shape of the curve and where on the curve revenue became maximized.

A function f(x) has a relative maximum value at x = a, if f(a) is greater than any value immediately preceding or following.

Calculus I out front could have told those eggheads that one.

And to get in front of the crowd:

989e684fa333a4c45968c49854e86994.jpg

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly.

The "taxation is theft" ethos is indefensible, and irreconcilable with the fact that we live in a communal society.  Just as the "whatever the problem is, let's just spend more money" would be an indefensible counterpoint.

I'm certainly displeased with how some of my tax dollars are spent (inefficiently, with little positive purpose, etc.).  But I'm likewise displeased that we don't adequately fund certain things that ARE of real value (both short and long term) - like education.  One can -- and should, if one is politically engaged - hold both of those beliefs at the same time.  Taxes are neither good nor bad.  They are a tool, which is sometimes used too much, too little, wisely, or poorly.

I've come to thinking about things in terms of ROI. 

Free breakfast and lunches for poor kids? full stomachs lead to better educational outcomes = good ROI

Border Wall? Drugs and undocumented aliens are still around = bad ROI

War on Drugs? Drugs won = bad ROI

Infrastructure projects that get people working and repair or replace aging infrastructure = good ROI

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've come to thinking about things in terms of ROI. 

Free breakfast and lunches for poor kids? full stomachs lead to better educational outcomes = good ROI

Border Wall? Drugs and undocumented aliens are still around = bad ROI

War on Drugs? Drugs won = bad ROI

Infrastructure projects that get people working and repair or replace aging infrastructure = good ROI

That's a pretty good viewpoint. Still, I'd argue that there's room for the exception (and I'm sure you'd agree). Some priorities simply have intrinsic value in their own right: parks, for example, whether they're local, state, or national. They add to our quality of life in spite of no real (obvious) financial ROI if we're strictly measuring ROI by dollars. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

This game should be played as follows:

Nothing Mueller said will be believed or credited (even if you have taped or recorded statements) by 42% of the public and all the Republican members of congress, and they will vote accordingly.

Commence (long) game.

Republicans will vote according to what keeps them in office.  

3 hours ago, scottsins said:

Lol. Maybe I’m generalizing, but I really question the rancher’s accuracy in ascertaining a prayer rug.

If anyone is capable of distinguishing prayer rugs from other rugs, surely it's rural New Mexico ranchers

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That's a pretty good viewpoint. Still, I'd argue that there's room for the exception (and I'm sure you'd agree). Some priorities simply have intrinsic value in their own right: parks, for example, whether they're local, state, or national. They add to our quality of life in spite of no real (obvious) financial ROI if we're strictly measuring ROI by dollars. 

agree completely. Anything that serves the greater good can be a "soft dollar" ROI. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Im pretty agnostic on Pelosi but she is the perfect person at the perfect time.

Yep. It's pretty scary to think that things are being held together by a handful of people. Rosenstein, Mueller, Pelosi, and I guess Mattis was somewhat of a buffer.

Edited by retread

1 hour ago, Skinny Tie said:

Socially liberal fiscally conservative is the rally cry for Gary Johnson voters and college republicans uncomfortable with blatant racism and homophobia.

yes.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Or, centrist Democrats.

yes.

"Socially liberal/fiscally conservative" is some South Park 2003 stuff and it never stops being funny.

""What good is having the right to sit at a lunch counter if you cannot afford to buy a hamburger?"
- MLK"

- Michael Scott

I think we should all be equal, and not spend government money on ensuring any kind of actual equality.

I think we should treat blacks equally, but the government shouldn't have or enforce regulations on businesses.

Where we are is very bad, but the causes were all very good.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

You guys remember that Simpson’s where marge gets invited to the country club and has tea with a bunch of women that completely own her? Pelosi reminds me of those women.

Her idea of wit is nothing more than an incisive observation, humorously phrased, and delivered with impeccable timing. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

yes.

"Socially liberal/fiscally conservative" is some South Park 2003 stuff and it never stops being funny.

""What good is having the right to sit at a lunch counter if you cannot afford to buy a hamburger?"

- MLK"

- Michael Scott

I think we should all be equal, and not spend government money on ensuring any kind of actual equality.

I think we should treat blacks equally, but the government shouldn't have or enforce regulations on businesses.

Where we are is very bad, but the causes were all very good.

What if you're extremely socially liberal and support most social programs, but are fiscally conservative in other ways. Like wanting to reduce defense spend, privatize SS, get out of foreign wars, and reduce waste.

Does that pass your purity test or am I a GaryJohnsonBro?

Actually scratch that, nobody gives a fuck what you think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

They have held out for two years. Every day that the GOP senate holds out adds weight to the opinion that they are generally complicit in the Russian corruption of the United States government. They knowingly or unknowingly took Russian money from the NRA and, likely, other sources.

Their votes on Russia have long passed the point of being suspicious. They're stuck backing up Trump who is likely not the leader in wiping Russian semen all over himself. They were already doing it and now big mouth Trump comes along and ruins it for everybody.

It's a coup for Russia to have an American president over a barrel. Why should we believe that Trump was their first target? Why wouldn't they go after key office holders before Trump offers himself up?

I have gone from suspecting widespread GOP complicity to wondering how can it be otherwise.

In terms of impeachment, what's in it for them to hurry the oncoming freight train? Many GOPs will go down with Trump. They lose nothing by delaying that as long as possible. 

Shame is coming. You don't rush to meet it.

You complete me.

• Haha 1