Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

Anyone else annoyed by the overuse of the  "buy $xx of very specifics items and get $x off your purchase". Just give me like .50 off each item. I don't need $25 dollars worth of HEB brand baking shit or $15 worth of tortilla chips. Whoever is in charge over there for their discounts needs a swift kick to the nuts/cunt.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Anyone else annoyed by the overuse of the  "buy $xx of very specifics items and get $x off your purchase". Just give me like .50 off each item. I don't need $25 dollars worth of HEB brand baking shit or $15 worth of tortilla chips. Whoever is in charge over there for their discounts needs a swift kick to the nuts/cunt.

It’s a reasonable concept when using the app to put in a curbside order but a total pain in the ass when actually shopping in store. 

It's not exactly difficult to ignore the discounts that hinge on large orders.  $1 off party sized HEB tortilla chips?  Sign me up.  $2 of $12 of HEB trash bags, aluminum foil, parchment paper and storage bags?  Sign me up.

$4 of $40 of HEB chicken?  Nah, I'm good.

I mean, all you have to do is type in your phone number.  It should be well within the capability of the average UT grad.

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

The "meal combo coupon deals" used to be from employee suggestions, not sure if they still do that.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's not exactly difficult to ignore the discounts that hinge on large orders.  $1 off party sized HEB tortilla chips?  Sign me up.  $2 of $12 of HEB trash bags, aluminum foil, parchment paper and storage bags?  Sign me up.

$4 of $40 of HEB chicken?  Nah, I'm good.

I mean, all you have to do is type in your phone number.  It should be well within the capability of the average UT grad.

One thing about HEB, best to check your PPO (price per ounce) on shit like that.  The Party sized tortilla chips are usually 3-4c higher per ounce than the smaller packages.  $1 off per bag totally makes it worthwhile, but normal day purchases you're getting bent.  

Yes, I price compare everything even if I end up spending more $$ ( I know I'm going to use the shit, just 100% am going to get the best deal I can for the $$ over time)  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yes, I price compare everything

No doubt.  Now that we're approaching empty nest status, and those kids who still live with us mostly eat out with friends or cook their own food, my buying habits have changed.  Even if there's a discount for a larger package, if I end up throwing 1/3 of it away I come out behind.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

No doubt.  Now that we're approaching empty nest status, and those kids who still live with us mostly eat out with friends or cook their own food, my buying habits have changed.  Even if there's a discount for a larger package, if I end up throwing 1/3 of it away I come out behind.

I'm in the "dependent for a while" stage with my 2 little ones, so it's more about bang/buck.  I almost always (especially during the school year) go buy meat on Monday mornings when I know there will be lots of 25% off packages. I'll take them home and put them in the fridge so I can vacuum pack them later on.  I like to spend my $$ on other worthless things like sipping tequilas and whiskeys, BBQ, and experiences with the kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2023 at 8:46 AM, NoName said:

to be clear, it still burned just not as bad that it wasted a whole jelly roll pan full.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, NoName said:

well good thing i didn't know that before i cooked it haha

If you're worried about burning, have you tried cooking the bacon in the water method? It might yank out some of the sodium as well. 

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're worried about burning, have you tried cooking the bacon in the water method? It might yank out some of the sodium as well. 

if i am cooking bacon i am cooking an entire jelly roll pans worth in the oven vs doing stove top.

Ethan Chlebowski did a good video on Bacon and convinced me that if i ever need to do 1 pan worth on the stove top the water way is the way

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

1 hour ago, NoName said:

if i am cooking bacon i am cooking an entire jelly roll pans worth in the oven vs doing stove top.

Ethan Chlebowski did a good video on Bacon and convinced me that if i ever need to do 1 pan worth on the stove top the water way is the way

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, Trey3216 said:

HavOne thing about HEB, best to check your PPO (price per ounce) on shit like that.  The Party sized tortilla chips are usually 3-4c higher per ounce than the smaller packages.  $1 off per bag totally makes it worthwhile, but normal day purchases you're getting bent.  

Yes, I price compare everything even if I end up spending more $$ ( I know I'm going to use the shit, just 100% am going to get the best deal I can for the $$ over time)  

heb pricing is whack 

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The Chile Limon version of these with the HEB spicy guac is a great snack. 

fucking surly bullshit and uploaded pics...hey immamac, that's why people link pics instead. Surly shrinks or fucks up pics. 

porkys.jpg

Edited by rage-a-holic

20 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

fucking surly bullshit and uploaded pics...hey immamac, that's why people link pics instead. Surly shrinks or fucks up pics. 

porkys.jpg

Those aren’t even close to an upgrade. Cracklins are where it’s at. Pork rinds are packing peanuts in comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Any of y'all have 40 count homemade flour tortillas at yours? I found it once at the H-E-B Plus in Hutto and then never again. It was only $2 more too, instead of buying (2) 20 count tortillas for $5 each. 

you just answered your own question 

Ma tienda ready cook flour tortillas are like $4 for 40. Why would

21 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Any of y'all have 40 count homemade flour tortillas at yours? I found it once at the H-E-B Plus in Hutto and then never again. It was only $2 more too, instead of buying (2) 20 count tortillas for $5 each. 

image.thumb.png.deced03e9be2cc4f8cdb5c25b787b728.png

y u no buy these?

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

you just answered your own question 

I... didn't? 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Ma tienda ready cook flour tortillas are like $4 for 40. Why would

image.thumb.png.deced03e9be2cc4f8cdb5c25b787b728.png

y u no buy these?

We like the taste and consistency of the ones hand made, especially when they've just come out of the bakery. I may give these Mi Tienda a shot though to see if they're good. 

8 hours ago, PantsTent said:

I just buy both. My wife and one daughter like the bakery ones. Me and other daughter prefer the ready to cook.

I actually warm the bakery tortillas the same way you would prepare the ready-to-cook. I find the bakery ones undercooked and too doughy otherwise. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:58 AM, HenryJames said:

They do it intentionally so that you will warm them.

Correct.  If there's not dark brown, or even some black spots, those tortillas are not ready for service. 

Always finish with heat on your griddle/cast iron/grill/etc.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Correct.  If there's not dark brown, or even some black spots, those tortillas are not ready for service. 

Always finish with heat on your griddle/cast iron/grill/etc.

Was doing that this weekend, we had a houseful in town from all over, including my niece from Philly. As I casually flipped the tortillas on the comal using only my fingers while we were talking (which is my usual technique - never use a spatula), she laughed and said after seeing me do that before, she tried to do it with her friends, and just burned her hand. I told her that watching me didn’t count, she needed to learn from an abuela.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Was doing that this weekend, we had a houseful in town from all over, including my niece from Philly. As I casually flipped the tortillas on the comal using only my fingers while we were talking (which is my usual technique - never use a spatula), she laughed and said after seeing me do that before, she tried to do it with her friends, and just burned her hand. I told her that watching me didn’t count, she needed to learn from an abuela.

Who the fuck would use a spatula? I'm a gringo and that thought never crossed my mind. And it's not hard to flip them with your fingers without burning yourself. Some people. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Who the fuck would use a spatula? I'm a gringo and that thought never crossed my mind. And it's not hard to flip them with your fingers without burning yourself. Some people. 

I mean...she's a white girl from Pennsylvania.  She grew up disadvantaged with respect to the hispanic arts.