2019 SOTU game thread

zork

Don’t know if it’s been brought up, don’t care, but we don’t know just how bad it all might have gotten tonight.   

RICK PERRY WAS THE DESIGNATED SURVIVOR TONIGHT.!!!!.   RICK. PERRY.

I’m shook

that is all.   Back to your monkey shit fight.. 

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Like 4

Just now, yoladu said:

Abrams speech was OK..not great, not bad.. and in the end just not very memorable.

She didn't fuck up, she didn't hit it out of the park.

it doesn't need to be memorable.

in my line of work, we have public speaking engagements. sometimes we knock it out of the park. but sometimes we have our "workman-like efforts." maybe the topic isn't as engaging, or our delivery was off, or whatever, but we made it through the presentation.

stacey abrams gave a workman-like performance. she read the speech. she didn't DELIVER the speech.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

God, you’re a fucking dick.

Your drop in hot takes tonight have really raised the discourse.

Bama this is the game thread.  That's no place for reasonable discourse.

Edited by SameSame

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

in my line of work, we have public speaking engagements. sometimes we knock it out of the park. but sometimes we have our "workman-like efforts." maybe the topic isn't as engaging, or our delivery was off, or whatever, but we made it through the presentation.

stacey abrams gave a workman-like performance. she read the speech. she didn't DELIVER the speech.

Gigolo?

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Ehh, we call that passion in public speaking.  She wasn’t on auto-pilot, but I don’t think it had as much passion as it could have.  But you and I are in charge of when we speak—we aren’t in charge of this, so there could have been stuff behind the scenes that she had no control over. 

And someone mentioned above that they could just respond in rebuttal form from what the president says.  I honestly don’t think that’s feasible because of how the speeches/networks are setup.  I’m half tempted to text my former UT Speech coach since she was a speechwriter for Ann Richards. 

heh.

i guess, kind of sometimes. in a figurative sense. (referencing the gigolo comment)

to finish my thought, this was the equivalent of delivering someone else's powerpoint presentation.

you can get through it, sure, but you cannot make it resonate like the guy who put it together.

her speech was obviously written by a committee she didn't know, to hit some pre-determined check marks.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho Negro said:

Ehh, we call that passion in public speaking.  She wasn’t on auto-pilot, but I don’t think it had as much passion as it could have.  But you and I are in charge of when we speak—we aren’t in charge of this, so there could have been stuff behind the scenes that she had no control over. 

And someone mentioned above that they could just respond in rebuttal form from what the president says.  I honestly don’t think that’s feasible because of how the speeches/networks are setup.  I’m half tempted to text my former UT Speech coach since she was a speechwriter for Ann Richards. 

yeah, but see my previous post. i'm not always in charge, if someone's flight is canceled or delayed, but i still gotta present the deck. and i know i suck.

that's exactly what happened tonight. the D's wanted a generic speech that would highlight what they thought would resonate with their voters. fine, i get it. 

but have a care and be dynamic.

point out that trump, uh, trumpeted low unemployment on the one hand, but said illegals are taking our jobs on the other.

point out that trump went on a pro-life, pro-children rant, but his administration locks children in cages. hell, play one of the horrific tapes of a child being separated or reunited with their family.

be fucking poignant. have some balls.

they just went with the rehearsed speech. 

alas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Don’t know if it’s been brought up, don’t care, but we don’t know just how bad it all might have gotten tonight.   

I’m shook

we were one angry japanese airline pilot away from aggy as president. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

well, then she was a bad choice. 

a rebuttal should, uh, rebut.

she would've been better off with:

Not sure why you're so hard on Abrams here. Most of these SOTU responses seem to be prepared in advance. She stuck with focusing on Democratic policies and let the media criticize and pick apart Trump's speech. 

These responses rarely move the needle, and I highly doubt a contentious and critical one would have been helpful either.  She could have been a bit more demonstrative I guess, but she articulated her points and spoke well in front of the camera, which was refreshing after Dotard's speech. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Not sure why you're so hard on Abrams here. Most of these SOTU responses seem to be prepared in advance. She stuck with focusing on Democratic policies and let the media criticize and pick apart Trump's speech. 

These responses rarely move the needle, and I highly doubt a contentious and critical one would have been helpful either.  She could have been a bit more demonstrative I guess, but she articulated her points and spoke well in front of the camera, which was refreshing after Dotard's speech. 

but i felt like she didn't do what you said. she rushed through a prepared speech. that's fine, if the speech is good. i did not feel it was good.

and, it was supposed to be a rebuttal, and while i realize that most of these aren't actual rebuttals, but pre-prepared remarks, designed to rarely move the needle, then i'm left with the opinion of "why bother?"

i thought kennedy did alright last year. i felt like abrams didn't do well this year.

mostly because trump has given you SO MUCH MATERIAL, even in a pre-written speech.

she hopped from lily pad to lily pad without a killer instinct, and the rebuttal was ineffective because of it.

6 minutes ago, Mapache said:

Jesus would be ashamed of you Falwell, you ignorant soulless fuck

He is what Christianity is in a large section of this country. It is shameful and repugnant and I do not blame those who turn from it when you see who the cretins are who are promoting it. Using Jesus to further political gains is awful, but holy hell we have millions in the population who are gullible and will eat it right up. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 5

Trump didn’t glaringly show his ass as I was expecting, but it was just a bunch of lip service about crossing divides and governing for all Americans that is completely incongruous with his actions the past two years.  I will say moderated Trump is more dangerous than 100% pure, uncut Trump.  If you just tuned in to the SOTU to see what’s going on in America (which is the majority of voters) he would not have struck you as a bumbling narcissist or criminally malign.

Stacey Abrams was the suck.  She did not address a damn thing he said.  No contrasting his portrait of the way things are with reality — that there is no way to rejoin separated immigrant kids with their families, the President’s secretary of defense resigning in protest over the unplanned withdrawal of support for our allies in Syria, a year of stock market gains being wiped out by Trump’s trade wars and government shutdown, growing numbers of indictments and guilty pleas emerging from Mueller’s investigation that Trump directly attacked, etc....  Just a wimpy, “Sucks to be a government worker.  I feel you, fam.”  She motivated me to further not give a shit until Mueller’s report drops or House hearings come about.

Edited by Goredho

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

How fucking orange are these people? All the orange. All of it.

How much more orange can they be?  The answer is none.  None more orange. 

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

They know they're going to watch a bunch of young men die in the next couple of years for no fucking reason but this man's ego.

"I didn't watch my buddies die face-down in the mud..."

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Let a lawyer give the goddamned rebuttal. Our fucking job is to think on our feet and respond on the fly. I could have made notes (along with the prep beforehand about what we KNEW he was going to say) along the way, and delivered an actual fucking rebuttal.
And I like Stacy - an old classmate and friend of my wife. She’s always been whip-smart. But a meh, canned speech.

wait...

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Typed too fast - TRIAL lawyer. She has a JD, but she was a tax attorney - wonky stuff, not “think on your feet” stuff.

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, retread said:

Not so fast. There is no question that Donald Sr was snoozing through every speech or class he ever attended as a youth. His dad just bought a new wing for the school, and Donnie got an A.  We need engaged people who care. Not poorly educated guaranteed to pass trust fund kids. 

But Joshua still has a chance. He just needs someone to do something for him that nobody ever did for Donald. Make him earn something on his own merit alone. 

2 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I’m shook

To be honest, Perry would be better.