The AAF may fold in a couple days

F250

Johnny manziel is like the king midas of football, everything he touches turns to shit.

The app was pretty neat but ultimately was a novelty. It had some good AI running in the back which spits out play call odds on the fly prior to the snap, which you could bet on or against. It tracked every play and down and learned how often a specific team would call which plays in which situations and assigned a scaling point system. If you went against the odds (like picking a pass on a 4 and 1 instead of a run up the middle) you got more points. It had potential if ran right, but the delay in broadcast made it a bit awkward.

Rather than destroy the whole league, the guy couldve just stolen the developer.

23 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I never downloaded or played around with that app, but if it operates as described in the TV ads, it's worth it. I can't believe the NFL didn't already have a stake in that shit. 

They'll end up buying it from Dundon for $500mm 

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So where does Johnny 8-ball finish in the pantheon of all-time great AAF QB's?

I dunno -- but Garrett Gilbert will always be the AAF's all-time leader in passing yards!

AAF statistical leaders

r523370_1296x518_5-2.jpg

The Alliance of American Football gave players a chance to prove their worth to NFL teams. Here's who were leading key statistical categories at the time of the league suspending operations:

Coach wins Steve Spurrier, ORL 7
Pass yards Garrett Gilbert, ORL 2,152
Pass TDs John Wolford, ARI 14
Rush yards Jhurrell Pressley, ARI 431
Rush TDs Trent Richardson, BIR 11
Rec. yards Charles Johnson, ORL 687
Rec. TDs Rashad Ross, ARI 7
Tackles DeMarquis Gates, MEM 52
Sacks Jayrone Elliott, SA 7.5
INTS Three players tied 4

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/aaf-suspends-operations-polian-disappointed

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, this line made me want to bang my head on my desk: "Dundon bought the AAF to steal its technology."

It's almost like rich people have some sort of advantage that lets them get away with scumbag behavior. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The only way another football league will work is it has to play during the fall with all the other football. Make the games on Tuesday/Wednesday. Shit people watch MACtion on those nights, so the audience is there.

don't fuck with MACtion

10 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The AAF was more set up to succeed than any other NFL spinoff. If it can’t succeed than no league can. XFL will need a ton of gimmicks to succeed. Maybe make it scripted like wrestling idk

Hell, it WAS succeeding.

I don't know what people are expecting -- "success" for a spring football league just means putting out a good enough product that enough people like to make it financially viable. They did that. Asking for more than that is just ridiculous. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Hell, it WAS succeeding.

I don't know what people are expecting -- "success" for a spring football league just means putting out a good enough product that enough people like to make it financially viable. They did that. Asking for more than that is just ridiculous. 

Yeah, looked like it was doing a hell of a lot better than I had expected. Who's the San Antone owner(s), how is it being handled there?

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Hell, it WAS succeeding.

They were about to miss payroll before Dondun stepped in with his 250 million.  It wasn't financially viable.

14 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Hopefully San Antonio will get a XFL franchise next year. I was impressed with the crowds at the Alamodome. They should just give Houston’s XFL team to SA if they’re not going to expand. 

How about we straight up give you Dallas' XFL team and Stoops. Hell, I'll throw in Best Buy coupons.

I knew SA attendance was pretty good, but it looks like Orlando and San Diego did okay too. Even 10K per game isn't bad for minor leagues. But they should be playing in nice high school or small college stadiums, or soccer stadiums, or fitting them into minor league baseball stadiums like some minor league soccer teams. Places where 10-20K fills the seats. The worst was Memphis, where attendance looked a lot smaller than 13K. I'm not sure how XFL expects to do any better being exclusively in NFL markets (except for St. Louis who I imagine is still burned by the NFL leaving, is a baseball town, and likely won't give a shit, especially if they play in that shitty dome the city is still paying for).   

San Antonio Commanders – in 4 games totaled 110,882 in paid attendance which equals 27,721 fans per game

Orlando Apollos in 3 home games totaled 58,943 in paid attendance which equals 19,648 fans per game.

San Diego Fleet – in 4 games totaled 76,617 in paid attendance which equals 19,154 fans per game

Birmingham Iron – in 4 games totaled 71,535 in paid attendance which equals 14,307 fans per game

Memphis Express – in 4 games totaled 51,776 in paid attendance which equals to 12,944 fans per game

Atlanta Legends – in 4 games totaled 43,581 in paid attendance which equals 10,895 fans per game

Arizona Hotshots – in 4 games totaled 39,727 in paid attendance which equals to 9,932 fans per game

Salt Lake City Stallions – in 4 games totaled 36,269 in paid attendance which equals to 9,067 fans per game

On 4/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, WBT said:

Because it's shitty minor league football?  Would you invest in it?

When was the last time anyone invested time to gamble in say, a current minor league team/ AAA baseball..?
Just a thought of how AAF had a long, uphill fight to gain an audience, as most are focused on MLS/MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL...

On 4/2/2019 at 11:28 PM, HtownHorn said:

The only way another football league will work is it has to play during the fall with all the other football. Make the games on Tuesday/Wednesday. Shit people watch MACtion on those nights, so the audience is there.

Nope.  It's gotta be between the NBA/NHL playoffs and start of college ball.

That's when the collective appetite for MOAR FOOTBALL is frothing.  It has to be a teaser/appetizer for the real thing.  Plus you can use nationwide markets.  Playing in February-early April puts anything north of OKC out of play.

22 hours ago, kopp0e said:

When was the last time anyone invested time to gamble in say, a current minor league team/ AAA baseball..?
Just a thought of how AAF had a long, uphill fight to gain an audience, as most are focused on MLS/MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL...

Just an FYI- The gambling app was never about the AAF. It was about USING the AAF to test and fix bugs before bringing it to the NFL to make bank. 

I'm having a hard time believing Dundon decided to lose a reported $70 million just to own an app that he could probably pay a team of developers in India far, far, far, less to write from scratch. 

My sports books have offered ingame betting for years. It's not like the concept was created by the AAF.