Jamaal Charles Hanging em Up.

Patrick Bateman

5 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

3:36 mark....got his ass up off ground, tracked him down, and decleated him.  We held them to a field goal after that....baller

yes. that play where you see a freshman do something and you say, hey, lets not take that freshman off the field again. i don't care about his errors in blitz pickup, or his one fumble in this game. this is a guy who needs reps and will blossom. thanks for posting this. i remember this play like it was yesterday and i remember just thinking right at the moment "holy shit charles" when he made the tackle. then you re-watch it and see him hurdling dudes and making up so much ground. incredible play.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

His 4th qtr against nebraska is one of the most epic things I've watched outside of separated shoulder emmit smith beating the Giants ass.  He literally beat nebraska himself 

I have never seen this game. I had to work that day and I didn’t record it. I’m ashamed of myself. 

10 hours ago, texaslong said:

He was the 8th RB taken in that 2008 draft. Loved watching him play. 

Career Rush Yds/ Rec Yds / Total

1-4 Darren McFadden - Arkansas   5421/2114/7535

1-14 Jonathan Stewart - Oregon   7335/1295/8630

1-22 Felix Jones - Arkansas    2594/383/2977

1-22  Rashard Mendenhall - Illinois    4236/795/5031

2-44 Matt Forte - Tulane    9796/4672/14,468

2-55 Ray Rice - Rutgers    6180/3034/9214

3-64 Kevin Smith - Central Florida     2346/1082/3428

3-73 JAMAAL     7563/2593/10,156

I have never seen this game. I had to work that day and I didn’t record it. I’m ashamed of myself. 
It's a conundrum, because to really understand the greatness of those runs, you have to sit and watch the complete offensive futility that was the first 3.5 quarters, which of course no one would subject themselves to. We're talking Shawn Watson vs Arkansas bad offense.

Then Jamaal just took over the game in two series. Watching the runs in isolation is great, but in the context of having watched hours of that shit show and thinking there would be no payoff, it was amazing to see live.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

3:36 mark....got his ass up off ground, tracked him down, and decleated him.  We held them to a field goal after that....baller

That play was gigantic. Especially for a freshman to make in that big of a game. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cam4mav said:

hall of fame Fantasy performance

I hope he ends up with a gold jacket and his bust in Canton. But this particular pair of cleats is already on display there. Trying to find a pic from our visit a couple of years ago. 

23 hours ago, cam4mav said:

the one where he goes for 259 making Denver look silly

Didn't he then bench himself with a chance to go for 300 because he wanted to get his young backup some PT? Jamaal was simply a humble superstar. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It's a conundrum, because to really understand the greatness of those runs, you have to sit and watch the complete offensive futility that was the first 3.5 quarters, which of course no one would subject themselves to. We're talking Shawn Watson vs Arkansas bad offense.

Then Jamaal just took over the game in two series. Watching the runs in isolation is great, but in the context of having watched hours of that shit show and thinking there would be no payoff, it was amazing to see live.

That’s the thing. I’ve seen highlights but never the full game. I’ve heard all about the ineptitude but without seeing the whole game, I can’t really understand the full scope of Jamaal’s greatness during that game. I don’t think it’s even on LHN or at least I’ve never caught it. 

20 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

"I'm going to make Texas fans forget about Adrian Peterson," Charles said. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Inside-the-Class-of-05-Jamaal-Charles-104173047/

"He told me he played running back and that he was the top (football) recruit in the nation," Charles said. "I was like, Oh, for real. I didn't even know who he was."

On 4/30/2019 at 7:18 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the game that always sticks out to me when I remember his college career. Our offense was struggling all day, a lot of people weren’t completely sold on Colt (childs should starts), and he just put the team on his fucking back. That 4th quarter was all time special

saved our asses in that one.  as well as the okie state game same year.  the rice game following up on the ohio state game in 2005 was when i knew it was a done deal.  the big run against ou in 2005.  7.8 yards per play from scrimmage as a fish.  fucking loved that dude.  2008 offense with him in it...we can only dream.

If he comes back in 08 I don't think anyone comes close. He would've been the perfect guy to lean on that night in Lubbock. It's sad how many National Titles Texas could have, way too many close calls.

1945 one loss by one point to Rice

1947 one loss by one point to SMU

1961 One loss 0-6 to TCU

1964 One loss by one point to Arkansas

1977 "The Notre Dame debacle"

1983 one loss by one point to Georgia "Muffed punt"

2004 GDGD can't score on OU with Vince and Ced (We wouldn't have beat USC so oh well)

2008 Blake Gideon and Earl Thomas go brain dead in the final minute.

2009 Hey Colt, maybe don't lower your shoulder into a nose guard.

If he comes back in 08 I don't think anyone comes close. He would've been the perfect guy to lean on that night in Lubbock. It's sad how many National Titles Texas could have, way too many close calls.
1945 one loss by one point to Rice
1947 one loss by one point to SMU
1961 One loss 0-6 to TCU
1964 One loss by one point to Arkansas
1977 "The Notre Dame debacle"
1983 one loss by one point to Georgia "Muffed punt"
2004 GDGD can't score on OU with Vince and Ced (We wouldn't have beat USC so oh well)
2008 Blake Gideon and Earl Thomas go brain dead in the final minute.
2009 Hey Colt, maybe don't lower your shoulder into a nose guard.

True but kind of aggy. Although they’ve never been remotely that close in the last 60 years.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Goo Punch said:

Didn't he then bench himself with a chance to go for 300 because he wanted to get his young backup some PT? Jamaal was simply a humble superstar. 

Yep.  He could have easily broken the single game rushing record that night, but decided to be a class act instead. 

Amazing player and one of my favorite horns. He could change a game in just moments. Best of everything for him forward.

Hopefully Jordan Whittington can be that type of special player up next. It would be fun to have a Jamal type game changer on board again.

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's probably the most talented player to ever play for this University. Ricky, Vince, and Earl are up there but maybe only Earl came close to making NFL talent look as inferior as Charles did. 

Priest Holmes should be in there, too. He rushed for more yards and had more yards receiving than did Jamaal, and on some pretty bad teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Top 5 all time? Are you fucking kidding me? Not even close. He was great, though.

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's probably the most talented player to ever play for this University.

That's a hell of a statement. Not sure you aren't right but you're going out on a limb there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JC is one of the must under appreciated players of his generation.  He was dominant in the NFL. He was the career yards per carry leader for much of his career with a YPC you normally only see in college and high school.  He was shredding NFL defenses.  Only 2 bad knee injuries will keep him out of the HoF. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That's a hell of a statement. Not sure you aren't right but you're going out on a limb there. 

Kinda funny. I think the more outrageous statement/question of the the two you responded to was him being the most athletic dude. And I’m not saying he isn’t.

Top RBs. Depends on how much at the NFL level you put on longevity, which ties in to more yards, versus pure running/football ability. Same in college a bit. Jc’s acceleration and cut and go ability are unrivaled from anyone I’ve witnessed in 40 years in the NFL. He’s surprisingly powerful for slight appearing frame. His first 8 years he averaged a minimum of 5 yards per carry. That was Barrys career average, which is 5th all time for RBs. He was a football player showing that when he lit up Aj Hawk during that Ohio State game in 05. He had another critical play in that game leading a FG before half. Caught a pass and cut upfield for 15 extra yards and still got out of bounds. Maybe even one of the most critical plays that entire season. He’s deserving of the Hall of Fame. He just doesn’t have those longevity numbers.

VY was the most dominant college player I've ever seen, but at a different position. Shit he was able to do still blows my mind, and if he was coming out into the current NFL, he would rewrite everything. Even as it is, he changed the game forever imho, even at the NFL level. When it comes to RBs, JC is up there with Ricky & Earl, imho, but I can't really see putting any of them ahead of VY10 the goat.

• Hook 'Em 1