Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Guacamole, toast, fried egg, bacon, and Taco Bell Fire sauce. Delicious.

I also enjoy what my aunt called a One Eyed Susan. Take a piece of toast, cut a hole in the center, spray both sides with butter, crack an egg and pour it in the hole. 6 minutes at 350 leaves a pretty runny yolk. Top with bacon and Crystal hot sauce. 

Egg in a frame. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Deer camp leftover smorgasbord breakfast.  Fried eggs, refried beans, smashed potato pancakes, bacon, prime ribeye cubes, tortillas and a couple of tamales.   Coffee and OJ.  

Scheduling my angioplasty.  It was worth it. 

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7944.jpeg

Not this thread silly! The other "left-overs" thread!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Also from a well or so ago at home. 

Fried egg, HEB jalapeño cheese bread, HEB butcher case bacon, a slice of white American, a dab of Duke’s mayo, grace with a touch of garlic salt and cracked black pepper.  

IMG_7837.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f9c89f4fd9e3d5f0ecd148263ad502d.jpeg

Add grilled onions and we're complete.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it fascinating how different kolaches can be in different parts of the US.  In Texas it’s a savory container for meat and cheese.  In Iowa, it’s a fruit stuffed dessert pastry.  I assume those differences trace back to the old country, but it’s interesting to me nonetheless.

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I find it fascinating how different kolaches can be in different parts of the US.  In Texas it’s a savory container for meat and cheese.  In Iowa, it’s a fruit stuffed dessert pastry.  I assume those differences trace back to the old country, but it’s interesting to me nonetheless.

We had some Czechoslovakian descended neighbors in the 80s.  And the Missus would make fruit kolaches regularly to the point we started buying them from her.  In Houston, at Shipley's, we called them pigs-in-a-blanket or maybe it was kolaches.  Who can remember?  But it wasn't until later in my teens that I heard the term kolaches used to refer to pigs.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

We had some czechoslovakian descended neighbors in the 80s.  And the Missus would make fruit kolaches regularly to the point we started buying them from her.  In Houston, at Shipley's, we called them pigs-in-a-blanket or maybe it was kolaches.  Who can remember?  But it wasn't until later in my teens that I heard the term kolaches used to refer to pigs.

Agree.  I'm from a small town that has an annual Kolache Fest, Kolaches are fruit, and the sausage ones are pig in the blankets. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Agree.  I'm from a small town that has an annual Kolache Fest, Kolaches are fruit, and the sausage ones are pig in the blankets. 

I believe the confusion stems from the fact that when you stop in West, TX while traveling on 35, you just say let’s stop and pick up some kolaches.  You get some with fruit, some with sausage, and throw them all in the same box and take them home.  That’s how they got lumped together under the singular kolache name.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

We had some czechoslovakian descended neighbors in the 80s.  And the Missus would make fruit kolaches regularly to the point we started buying them from her.  In Houston, at Shipley's, we called them pigs-in-a-blanket or maybe it was kolaches.  Who can remember?  But it wasn't until later in my teens that I heard the term kolaches used to refer to pigs.

Up here, pigs in a blanket refers to any kind of sausage rolled up with cheese inside of dough.  A lot of times it's made with more of a croissant style dough than a kolache dough, but it can apply to any of it in my experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fried up a pulled pork patty, two over easy eggs, white onion, valentinas.

IMG-0839.jpg

ETA: Having some friends stay with us this weekend, decided to clean out the leftoff pork, and run the remix with some mi tierra green sauce. Paired with micheladas. 

IMG-0935.jpg

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not the best photo but it’s HEB pepper bacon and egg tacos with cheese and pics de gallo on an HEB flour tortilla. Cooked up by my after a morning of SUP on the Gulf side of SPI. 

Also, the debate is settled right? The best breakfast is a taco on one side of the bracket and a biscuit (gravy or biscuit sandwich) on the other side and there’s a draw with no overtime. 

image.thumb.jpeg.10e156e2fe9714044b0eaa85bb8faaf5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Not the best photo but it’s HEB pepper bacon and egg tacos with cheese and pics de gallo on an HEB flour tortilla. Cooked up by my after a morning of SUP on the Gulf side of SPI. 

Also, the debate is settled right? The best breakfast is a taco on one side of the bracket and a biscuit (gravy or biscuit sandwich) on the other side and there’s a draw with no overtime. 

image.thumb.jpeg.10e156e2fe9714044b0eaa85bb8faaf5.jpeg

You on a diet? 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, nbmishoid said:

Has a cold beer been mentioned?  

Hell I barely drink beer, but when you woke at 4:30 am to go fishing and it's after 9 am often a beer is the only option for breakfast.  That's why each beach trip I buy a 12 pack of Modelo.  To give to others... or for me for breakfast!

20 minutes ago, baboso said:

Onions in the grease with the taters, homes.

naw mate

you use enough grease, then throw em in a colander lined with paper towels; immediately, while fresh off the pan, throw in the green onions and toss em around

the residual heat and grease is enough to sautee the onions outside of the pan JUST enough, and they add lightness to balance out the bacon fat and paprika.

if your green onions turn brown you cooked em too much; if they stay crunchy you cooked em not enough

Spec’s, if they have a full service deli, will surprise you. Their sausage, cheese, and egg breakfast taco is one of the best I’ve ever had. They’re so good I keep hot sauce in the car.  Bacon is ok, but the sausage breakfast taco is better. Great jalapeño and cheese pig in the blanket. Their English muffin, sausage, egg, and cheese is incredible. The one in Houston makes everything from scratch. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Spec’s, if they have a full service deli, will surprise you. Their sausage, cheese, and egg breakfast taco is one of the best I’ve ever had. They’re so good I keep hot sauce in the car.  Bacon is ok, but the sausage breakfast taco is better. Great jalapeño and cheese pig in the blanket. Their English muffin, sausage, egg, and cheese is incredible. The one in Houston makes everything from scratch. 

One in Plano was nails when I lived there.