Battleship Texas being relocated

Moby Ric

30 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Maybe near Harvester stadium off of Matson?  Although there is more room by the Best Western on the Northside of town. 

I'd recommend the empty mall just south of there. It'd be a nice attraction to help revitalize that thing.

42 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

They need to bring back that machine that made little plastic molds of the battleship.  The smell of those smoldering models when you retrieved them from the machine was great awesome.

Yep- and the smell of it fit right in with all the other smoldering petroleum down there.

9 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

A safe one imoho. But you have to give Pampa this much. It’s not Vernon. 

Now that is a Texas town I haven't yet been to but plan on being there sometime near the end of July. Visiting small struggling towns across the state is a mainstay of my employment.

Edited by bolverk
In fact, I'll be in Rio Grande City next week.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Someone needs to read this remarkably prescient piece of sci-fi, because it is so EERILY on point....well, actually, it's nutso, but I enjoyed the hell outta reading it back in the late 80s or so.

tarzan1.jpg

Fuck yeah!  WOLVERINES!

A couple of months ago I finally finished cleaning out my storage unit from my move 3+ years ago.  The biggest chore was the 45 moving boxes full of books that were in there.  I had to go through each one and sort them into sell to half price books, donate to the Friends of the Houston Library, and keep in my now limited shelving.  This book was one of the ones that didn’t make the cut to keep.  It was close though.

The Battleship Texas must be relocated where there is easy access to the open sea.  That way when aliens attack and seal out all active naval assets with a force field a few surviving U.S. sailors can team up with the remaining veterans that served on the Texas and sail it out to destroy the aliens.  Therefore we must also make sure to keep it fueled up and have plenty of live rounds and powder on board for the main guns.

20 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Totally understand the need for foot traffic to keep it in good shape.  San Jacinto/La Porte is not the easiest place to get to and despite it being by the history of the  San Jacinto monument it seems to only get boy scout troop sleepovers from time to time these days.  I wonder where they would be considering moving it too.  Galveston, or Corpus seem like the obvious choices.

https://abc13.com/society/deteriorating-battleship-texas-leaving-la-porte-for-good-/5320537/

It needs money, a lot of it, to keep it in good shape. That may be in the form of admissions tickets, funds from the state, private donations, whatever. 

It's an old ship that won't improve any with age. I get it. It's named Texas and has served the United States in big wars, but the time comes for an end to everything. 

• Like 2

I don't get the appeal of keeping it in water since it does nothing but add to the upkeep costs.  If you want it in "water" for appearance sake only, sink the ship into land with only a pond around it with a few inches of water. you could even put a small barrier up so that the pond water isn't even touching the sides.

If you really want it closer to where people are at, take it up the ship channel as close to downtown as possible.  It would be badass to have it in near EADO but I assume the bridges on buffalo bayou would prevent that.  Have lunch at Ninfas and walk over to the battleship.  Visitors always want to find something to do in Houston, and a old battleship close to downtown will pull visitors in.  

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't get the appeal of keeping it in water since it does nothing but add to the upkeep costs.  If you want it in "water" for appearance sake only, sink the ship into land with only a pond around it with a few inches of water. you could even put a small barrier up so that the pond water isn't even touching the sides.

If you really want it closer to where people are at, take it up the ship channel as close to downtown as possible.  It would be badass to have it in near EADO but I assume the bridges on buffalo bayou would prevent that.  Have lunch at Ninfas and walk over to the battleship.  Visitors always want to find something to do in Houston, and a old battleship close to downtown will pull visitors in.  

If you did something like that, the ideal would be to build a nice aquarium (think Monterey Bay Aquarium) in Galveston across the street from the sea wall: Maybe where Scholes Airport currently sits. Include the battleship as part of the exhibit and make Galveston a more appealing destination.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If you did something like that, the ideal would be to build a nice aquarium (think Monterey Bay Aquarium) in Galveston across the street from the sea wall: Maybe where Scholes Airport currently sits. Include the battleship as part of the exhibit and make Galveston a more appealing destination.

Moody Gardens already has a nice aquarium. I do think putting it over there would be a good option. 

11 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

I could see it put in Beaumont. Tie it with the history of the shipyards during World War Ii.

They were proposing a new riverfront Park close to the  port before Harvey.... right off I10.  Not sure if it ever got underway.  That would meet the car count needs, but not a location where there is already an established tourist base.  

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

park it at allen's landing and every time it floods it can float down main street. 

• Like 1

The old girl is going to be more and more of a money pit, I'm afraid. 

Get some good documentarians in there to video the heck out of it. Then make a first-class visitor's center with all that footage and other historic artifacts.

As for the ship itself? Maybe tow it out into the gulf and make a reef. Let it be a source of life for the water creatures. 

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

And make I-35 a drawbridge.

I've always wanted to dredge the Colorado and make Austin a port city.  One of the main problems of our town is that we don't have enough seedy longshoremen lurking about.

I even thought about running for city council on that platform, but then became afraid that the people of Austin might actually vote me in.

Edited by utee94

IMO they need to pull it from the water and put it in Galveston on Pelican Island at Seawolf park, like another poster mentioned.

Bulldoze that shitty white concrete building, pull the Texas from the water with the bow pointed towards Bolivar.  Position that destroyer and the submarine nearby. Build a big visitor's center, keep/upgrade the fishing piers, and maybe run a water taxi or bus service to the area, as it's a PITA to drive all the way around past sea aggie.

Or drag it inland and put it on Stewart Beach - that would solve the galveston ship channel issue.  Or hell, stick it on Harborside somewhere near the Elissa.

@Asithappensis right, it's only going to become a bigger money pit if it stays in the water.

I think it's worth saving, however, because it's the only remaining capital ship to serve in both WWs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've always wanted to dredge the Colorado and make Austin a port city.  One of the main problems of our town is that we don't have enough seedy longshoremen lurking about.

I even thought about running for city council on that platform, but then became afraid that the people of Austin might actually vote me in.

I stupidly put my name on the ballot in an election and won.  Thought I was going to come in and make a difference.  It is a fucking nightmare and can't wait for it to be over.

Don't know where, but how great would it be to have a naval shipyard museum in Texas? Have the Texas there and have an exhibit focusing on WW 1 maritime history. Add the Dallas and build an exhibit about cold war era issues. There's a 50/50 chance the Dallas Maritime museum isn't going to happen so might as well.

The national museum of the royal Navy in Portsmouth is set up like that, but they do have Henry 8's Mary rose and Nelson's victory (plus one other I forget now) which have more history and renown. I think it'll work here if it's somewhere where there are already lots of visitors- galveston, Houston, or even corpus for example.

1 hour ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

There’s nothing the right application of either WD-40 or JB Weld can’t fix.

I owned a mid-80s Chrysler and I can assure you that by the time I finally traded it in, over half the components in the engine compartment were made entirely of JB Weld.