Battleship Texas being relocated

Moby Ric

Totally understand the need for foot traffic to keep it in good shape.  San Jacinto/La Porte is not the easiest place to get to and despite it being by the history of the  San Jacinto monument it seems to only get boy scout troop sleepovers from time to time these days.  I wonder where they would be considering moving it too.  Galveston, or Corpus seem like the obvious choices.

https://abc13.com/society/deteriorating-battleship-texas-leaving-la-porte-for-good-/5320537/

Needs to located somewhere in eyesight of I10 or similar highway to get traffic.  Needs to be a "might-as-well stop" destination that people can either plan on or decide on quickly and not an out of the way location.

The USS Alabama is situated like this in Mobile and they have a lot of traffic that I can see when I drive by.  It's a nice park.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I mean the real Naval museum of the U.S. is in Fredericksburg

It's a hell of a museum.  It's actually the National Museum of the Pacific War, not the Naval Museum. That is in DC.

It's in Fredericksburg because that is the hometown of Admiral Nimitz, who commanded the US forces in the Pacific.

Guest Lobo

thanks, I was attempting a crude joke.  There is a nice memorial plaque to my grandfather's WWII service in Okinawa at that museum.   

Obviously we can't put a battleship in Fredericksburg.  

I just wish more people knew about it.  I got to spend a few hours there with my dad and uncle who were both in the navy in the late 70's when we in town for my sister's wedding in Sisterdale.  Lots of WWII vets to be found there visiting, which is a rare site these days.  I need to go back and spend a whole day there.  You could probably spend 2-3 days there and still not see all it has to offer.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are Texas.   We could do it if we wanted to   

But putting it north of Dallas on the Red River would be a nice way to greet/warn the Okies.  

Every time we win the RRS, we fire it in the general direction of Norman? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

Is the darn thing still seaworthy to tow? The last I heard about her she was in danger of sinking at the dock.

They went out for bids a couple of years ago for an elaborate system to keep the seepage pumped out.  Not sure if it every was installed.  Saw it on the news when that was funded or proposed.

It'll take a helluva flotilla of tugs to move her.

Someone needs to read this remarkably prescient piece of sci-fi, because it is so EERILY on point....well, actually, it's nutso, but I enjoyed the hell outta reading it back in the late 80s or so.

tarzan1.jpg

Gwillam Forte is a fourteen year old runaway in 1943. Arrested while working in a bordello a police sergeant cons the boy into joining the navy so as to avoid problems his arrest could cause. So the young Forte lies about his age and is eventually assigned to the U.S.S. Texas. At the battle of Okinawa a kamikaze attack leaves the boy a triple amputee with both legs and his right hand gone. Recovering in a hospital he finds help from an old black veteran of WWI and the old woman who runs the library. He goes on to become a billionaire making his fortune in real estate and oil.

So in 1994 his friend the governor of Texas want him to help for a future run for the senate. He gets him to agree to refurbish the old battleship Texas in time for the millennium celebration in 2000. Well things get worst in the world. By 1998 The Soviets are winning the cold war and have control over most of Europe, South American, Africa and Asia. They propose a new treaty called the Washington Protocols. In it they would take over providing manufactured goods to the third world while the U.S. would provide agriculture. On the surface it seems peaceful but the Soviets have a secret plan. They hope as the country turns to an agricultural economy the industry will deteriorate to a point where no weapons could be manufactured. Then with the Soviet industry intact they could easily invade. The plan calls for fleets to visit the country and the Soviet Seventeenth Fleet is making its rounds. In San Diego the sailors get out of hand and cause a mess. Texas wants the President to rescind the invitation but to do so would get him impeached by a peace at any price public. So Texas votes to succeed if the fleet enters its waters. The Soviets attack the Texans using nerve gas and kill 500,000. It seems they are unstoppable. Only the refurbished Texas stands in the way.

It is unapologetically pro Texas. Now this book is a bit dated with the Soviets and their taking over most of the world. It is also real over the top with the explosions of the underground caverns causing tsumanis that take out most of the fleet. The second one has the old battleship riding in on top like a surfer and proceeds to take out the surviving capital ships. Still it is also fun and enjoyable. You really root for the Texans after they are so brutally attacked and get a great feeling when the Soviet fleet is so utterly destroyed. Also the story of Gwillam Forte is a very moving one. His life is inspiring and you get a very personal investment in him succeeding. The first of a trilogy of books.

Fuck yeah!  WOLVERINES!

• Like 1

If it would fit....Galveston would be cool.

My son and I slept on the ship overnight as part of a Cub Scout event last fall. It was a good event. Many of the parents who had been to the Lexington commented that the experience on the Texas was far superior. My son loved the overnight event.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

thanks, I was attempting a crude joke.  There is a nice memorial plaque to my grandfather's WWII service in Okinawa at that museum.   

Obviously we can't put a battleship in Fredericksburg.  

They got that Jap sub inside the place. Float it up the Perd..

My family has considered putting up a marker there for our Dad who served in the Aleutian Campaign (1942-43).

Edited by Armybrat

Guest Lobo
33 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

They got that Jap sub inside the place. Float it up the Perd..

My family has considered putting up a marker there for our Dad who served in the Aleutian Campaign (1942-43).

You absolutely should.  My wife's paternal grandfather was also there.  One of those guys that literally hid inside the oil drums with other dead bodies to escape detection.  Guy had never left a 5-mile radius of NW Kansas.  And he gets the call and goes from Alaska to Okinawa and everywhere in between.  After that, everything else was gravy.  

The whole San Jacinto battleground location is fairly pathetic.  I had a day off with nothing to do about 2 years ago.  The USS Texas was listing to the side so visitors weren't allowed and it took me about 45 minutes to walk through the SJ monument.  I wouldn't be able to recommend anyone going there. 

I don't have an answer on how to improve it, but I don't think taking away the USS Texas will help.

Gwillam Forte is a fourteen year old runaway in 1943. Arrested while working in a bordello a police sergeant cons the boy into joining the navy so as to avoid problems his arrest could cause. So the young Forte lies about his age and is eventually assigned to the U.S.S. Texas. At the battle of Okinawa a kamikaze attack leaves the boy a triple amputee with both legs and his right hand gone. Recovering in a hospital he finds help from an old black veteran of WWI and the old woman who runs the library. He goes on to become a billionaire making his fortune in real estate and oil.

So in 1994 his friend the governor of Texas want him to help for a future run for the senate. He gets him to agree to refurbish the old battleship Texas in time for the millennium celebration in 2000. Well things get worst in the world. By 1998 The Soviets are winning the cold war and have control over most of Europe, South American, Africa and Asia. They propose a new treaty called the Washington Protocols. In it they would take over providing manufactured goods to the third world while the U.S. would provide agriculture. On the surface it seems peaceful but the Soviets have a secret plan. They hope as the country turns to an agricultural economy the industry will deteriorate to a point where no weapons could be manufactured. Then with the Soviet industry intact they could easily invade. The plan calls for fleets to visit the country and the Soviet Seventeenth Fleet is making its rounds. In San Diego the sailors get out of hand and cause a mess. Texas wants the President to rescind the invitation but to do so would get him impeached by a peace at any price public. So Texas votes to succeed if the fleet enters its waters. The Soviets attack the Texans using nerve gas and kill 500,000. It seems they are unstoppable. Only the refurbished Texas stands in the way.

It is unapologetically pro Texas. Now this book is a bit dated with the Soviets and their taking over most of the world. It is also real over the top with the explosions of the underground caverns causing tsumanis that take out most of the fleet. The second one has the old battleship riding in on top like a surfer and proceeds to take out the surviving capital ships. Still it is also fun and enjoyable. You really root for the Texans after they are so brutally attacked and get a great feeling when the Soviet fleet is so utterly destroyed. Also the story of Gwillam Forte is a very moving one. His life is inspiring and you get a very personal investment in him succeeding. The first of a trilogy of books.

If you're going to publish Pro-Texas shit, at least get the fucking spelling right, please. 

2 hours ago, swraith said:

Many of the parents who had been to the Lexington commented that the experience on the Texas was far superior. My son loved the overnight event.

The Texas certainly smells better than the Lexington. That fuel oil smell from the Lexington is unforgettable.