Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

no pics but wife made a rub that slammed.  we had some pork chops that were too thin to grill for a nice dark crust.  she coated it with dijon mustard, honey, and minced garlic.  then pan fried the fucker.  the honey caramelized and also prevented the garlic from burning.  balances nicely with the tangy mustard. 

im gonna rub this shit on everything now.

16 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

no pics but wife made a rub that slammed.  we had some pork chops that were too thin to grill for a nice dark crust.  she coated it with dijon mustard, honey, and minced garlic.  then pan fried the fucker.  the honey caramelized and also prevented the garlic from burning.  balances nicely with the tangy mustard. 

That’s one way to get our attention …

Sunday gumbo. Instapot fucked up the rice but it sure was tasty. Only our 3rd or 4th time making it so I'm sure we're doing something wrong.20220828_123420.thumb.jpg.cf879c7c90ed6d8a3aac46eeea1682a6.jpg
20220828_123420.thumb.jpg.cf879c7c90ed6d8a3aac46eeea1682a6.jpg

Gumbo looks good…not sure how you fucked up instapot rice. Shit, when I have to make a lot of rice these days (usually to go with gumbo or RBAR), that’s my go-to. Can make a triple size batch, and it turns out perfect.

15 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Instapot fucked up the rice but it sure was tasty.

Maybe try less water? I can’t tell for sure just from the picture but it looks kind of mushy. If you’re rinsing the rice first then you definitely want to cut back on the water for cooking.

Still, I’d happily eat that.

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe try less water? I can’t tell for sure just from the picture but it looks kind of mushy. If you’re rinsing the rice first then you definitely want to cut back on the water for cooking.

Still, I’d happily eat that.

Maybe. It still tasted great. Probably wasn't paying attention.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, 52-80 said:

throw a splash of bourbon and even a little lemon juice in that glaze. We use it on pork chops and salmon all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:30 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Made grilled pork tenderloins stuffed with a boudin/cornbread stuffing, dirty rice as a side.  Turned out great, no plating pics because it was for a group of 7 adults and a toddler so shit got hectic. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

Recipe please.  That looks RIGHT up my alley.

2 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Recipe please.  That looks RIGHT up my alley.

Pretty easy - fresh pork tenderloins from HEB (the ones in the vacuum sealed bag).  Instead of butterflying them, I cut them in half, trim them, and then carefully insert a boning knife through the large end toward the smaller end, stopping about an inch from the end.  Then just sort of twist the knife around a bit.  After that you can gently finger-bang it to stretch out the cavity.  Then I dry brined them (salt) and let them sit uncovered in the fridge all day.

For this stuffing, I had 2 large pieces of leftover cornbread, added that to 2 crumbled up links of boudin (well technically the half-links), along with about 1/2 cup chicken broth and mixed it up.  It tasted salty enough so I didn't add any more seasoning.  

Then I just stuffed them and grilled them until they hit about 140 in the stuffing part.  If you don't close the ends up (I did not) some of the stuffing will leak out as the meat tightens up as its cooking.

I've also stuffed them with just straight boudin, which honestly is easier because it's less gloopy and stays in place better.  

Fairly simple but the tenderloins are always good.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Pretty easy - fresh pork tenderloins from HEB (the ones in the vacuum sealed bag).  Instead of butterflying them, I cut them in half, trim them, and then carefully insert a boning knife through the large end toward the smaller end, stopping about an inch from the end.  Then just sort of twist the knife around a bit.  After that you can gently finger-bang it to stretch out the cavity.  Then I dry brined them (salt) and let them sit uncovered in the fridge all day.
For this stuffing, I had 2 large pieces of leftover cornbread, added that to 2 crumbled up links of boudin (well technically the half-links), along with about 1/2 cup chicken broth and mixed it up.  It tasted salty enough so I didn't add any more seasoning.  
Then I just stuffed them and grilled them until they hit about 140 in the stuffing part.  If you don't close the ends up (I did not) some of the stuffing will leak out as the meat tightens up as its cooking.
I've also stuffed them with just straight boudin, which honestly is easier because it's less gloopy and stays in place better.  
Fairly simple but the tenderloins are always good.

A nice recipe but curious. Leftover cornbread. Never seen it but have heerd of it. Where do you get yours?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a couple pounds of hatch chilies I got from my produce stand already roasted. Needed to use them and the butcher at Tom Thumb sometimes gives me some deals. He had some sirloin pork chops he offered me for $1.29 a lb. Took 6 pounds. Not a cut I buy. Big bone. But thought they’d do well with the chilies. Browned them up and threw in the crock pot, onions, a couple of homegrown tomatoes, and the chilies were such a mess after I peeled and seeded the I just put in my Blendjet. Came out great, laid on some mashed taters.029b65fa2fea9c6bfb417c5780a2d01c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Watching the game, drinking some Treehouse, and cooking with the windows wide open.  Today, trying something new, pasta with roast chicken, currants, and pine nuts and a New York maple walnut cheesecake.

I will take and post pics once done.  I am trhying to cook more this fall.  I love going out, but the $$$ adds up.  Plus, I have 400 bottles of wine here at the house, and a full bar, and I feel like some of that needs to be consumed.