Texas Intercity Rivalries

MaybeACoordinator

Having spent double-digit years in the Houston area and the People’s Republic of Austin, can confirm everything above from TexArcher.  I think the Houston/Dallas stuff was really driven by pro sports success, and the TV shows about each city - Dallas gets Dallas with Larry Hagman, and Houston gets Cops with Cletus T. Noshirt.

People in Austin don’t really think about other Texas cities, other than “hey, you going to Marfa for that new art installation?”  Seriously though, you get some talk about Portland, etc., but I think that’s more of a byproduct of tech companies and people moving between those areas and here.  A lot of people are fine staying here, and I kind of wonder if some of the Houston/Dallas rivalry is from people who would  like to move  to the other city or something   

Although this time of year, I start looking at New England.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think the Houston/Dallas stuff was really driven by pro sports success, and the TV shows about each city - Dallas gets Dallas with Larry Hagman, and Houston gets Cops with Cletus T. Noshirt.

I've been saying something similar for years: Dallas and Urban Cowboy were out at the same time, and for some reason Dallas folks came away thinking they're all The Ewings (debonair, rich, and important) and Houstonians are all Bud and Sissy (blue collar rednecks).

I don't think that was very true in 1980, and it definitely isn't true in 2019.

Edited by TexArcher

We all can agree that College Station is the asshole of the state. And not the asshole of some hot chick, but some fat dude that doesn’t know how to wipe properly. Fuck that place and the retards that inhabit it. I feel bad for the folks in Bryan who have to put up with their shitty neighbor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We all can agree that College Station is the asshole of the state. And not the asshole of some hot chick, but some fat dude that doesn’t know how to wipe properly. Fuck that place and the retards that inhabit it. I feel bad for the folks in Bryan who have to put up with their shitty neighbor.

I'd live in Navasota before I'd live in College Station again, and yes, I have seen Navasota.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe it's my hatred of all things A&M, but what exactly do the people that live there do in their free time? Go to Houston?

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Let's put it this way: My hate for Oklahoma is well known. So is my love for Texas. If I had to choose between living in Oklahoma and living in College Station, well, let's be honest. I would kill myself.

Give me OKC or Tulsa any day of the week over College Station.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Maybe it's my hatred of all things A&M, but what exactly do the people that live there do in their free time? Go to Houston?

As a person who lived there for 9 months, I used every free weekend to go in random directions away from BCS. Finally broke loose from its orbit by turning on the afterburners and moving to Mexico. Everything was better.

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

As a person who lived there for 9 months, I used every free weekend to go in random directions away from BCS. Finally broke loose from its orbit by turning on the afterburners and moving to Mexico. Everything was better.

Kenny-Powers-002.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

We get the Austin if it had not grown thing all the time from those that moved here from Austin. Usually it just means the racism is still ok here. As a city we are hated by everyone, but we really don't care enough to hate anyone else. We're too busy smelling whatever it was that we just picked out of our ass and talking about how bad the traffic is going to be for the next 5 years of 35 construction through town. 

I enjoyed Waco once I got over the "But it's not Austin!" thing. Mainly a matter of selecting the right gear. Plus, I inhabited the central part that White people don't know exists. I'd walk along Grimm like Gandalf visiting the Shire.

40 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I've lived double-digit years in both Austin and Houston and I can tell you this:

People in Austin don't even think about Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio.  Rivalry?  Why?  You like those places better?  Cool - stay there.

People in Houston do hate Dallas.  But people from Dallas have looked down on Houston for decades, so I get it.  A lot of people in/from Dallas have the absurd notion that Dallas is one of the greatest cities in this country and everyone else is jealous that they don't get to live there.

The Houston/Dallas rivalry is a little silly, because they're basically the same place.  Dallas has everything Houston has, the good and the bad, and vice versa.  But my god, Dallas, get over yourself.

And if you're tempted to say I'm biased, touche', but I know a bunch of people from other states and they don't get the Dallas superiority complex, either.

Alot of people from the DFW  area never or hardly visit the rest of the state whether it be on business or leisure.   They have almost everything within their metroplex such as good healthcare,  major international airports, entertainment,  shopping,  etc.   

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Alot of people from the DFW  area never or hardly visit the rest of the state whether it be on business or leisure.   They have almost everything within their metroplex such as good healthcare,  major international airports, entertainment,  shopping,  etc.   

The year I lived there this surprised me the most. There were plenty of people who seemed to never leave the Metroplex. Being from Waco we obviously had to go to Dallas/Austin/Houston/San Antonio a few times a year. 

13 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The year I lived there this surprised me the most. There were plenty of people who seemed to never leave the Metroplex. Being from Waco we obviously had to go to Dallas/Austin/Houston/San Antonio a few times a year. 

Same with me down here in Corpus as far as visting Houston and Austin.    San Antonio is alot more frequent and will be as I establish my business there with a possible move up that way.     

I do think metro Houston residents get out of the region more than their DFW counterparts.   Probably has to do with those in business have to take on a larger territorial foot print and many Houston area residents were at one time in their lives, residents in the RGV, Corpus and other parts of the state so they still have family and friends  in these areas.  On the flip side, I know of several empty nest couples whom moved up to the DFW area or just outside of the metroplex to be close to their kids because they've all relocated there and wanted to be close for grandchildren reasons.  Hence the reason for many to come down this way just isn't there unless they want to hunt, fish,  or do a beach vacation.   

grew up in houston, lived in dallas for 10 years, live in austin for another 13.

houston's only redeeming value is great, diverse food.  that place is amazing for great food, and not the bullshit foo foo small plates shit.  it's shittiest quality is that it's fucking ugly as hell.  i mean god awful ugly.  blue collar city which is reflected in the culture and aesthetics. 

dallas's only redeeming value is that it's not in oklahoma.  that whole metroplex place needs the plague.  most of the metroplex is clean and sterile, which is an apt  description of dallas.  it's just fucking sterile.  no personality.  it's a midwest city in texas. in fact, it's the kansas city in texas.

austin fucking rocks.  austin, not the fucking round rock, kyle, cedar park, buda or any of the stupid burbs.  i drive 5-10 mins west of austin and i'm smack in the middle of the hill country.  10 mins outside of town and you'd never know you were surrounded by 1M people.  it's a young vibrant city with a shitload of things to do.  food sucks because it's all foo foo small plates shit.  beautiful lake in the heart of the city and beautiful, scenic lakes on the outskirts.  

most of my dallas and houston friends would move to austin in a second of they could.  no one i know in austin would move to either city.  FUCK that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Denton over there trying to look and act like Austin except with less traffic.

I think Denton has more traffic amazingly and they've been trying to say "We're in the Metroplex too!" for 50 years now. My drive from Denton to Irving everyday was hell on earth. La Sabrocita's 3 tacos plate is one of my favorite meals anywhere though.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I've been saying something similar for years: Dallas and Urban Cowboy were out at the same time, and for some reason Dallas folks came away thinking they're all The Ewings (debonair, rich, and important) and Houstonians are all Bud and Sissy (blue collar rednecks).

I don't think that was very true in 1980, and it definitely isn't true in 2019.

Yea it was slightly exaggerated.    But I do think for the longest time, Houston had an inferiority complex to Dallas because it was kind of true all the dirty work for the Oil/Gas industry was done in the Houston area while many of the same companies had most if not all their white collar workforce in the glass office towers in Dallas along with the banks who fed off that oil money.    Hence that is one reason Houston loved the Enron era  and  having Compaq computers headquarted there, etc.    It did what NASA and being a major medical center (MD Anderson) couldn't do and give Houston something it  could  brag about although we all  know the Enron thing didn't end well.    But now all of that is kind irrelevant and any disgust with each other is silly.   Especially since both NFL franchises pretty much suck... LOL.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's put it this way: My hate for Oklahoma is well known. So is my love for Texas. If I had to choose between living in Oklahoma and living in College Station, well, let's be honest. I would kill myself.

Read this in Archers voice. Awesome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

austin fucking rocks.  austin, not the fucking round rock, kyle, cedar park, buda or any of the stupid burbs.  i drive 5-10 mins west of austin and i'm smack in the middle of the hill country.  10 mins outside of town and you'd never know you were surrounded by 1M people.

So Austin rocks, but the towns around it suck, and the reason Austin rocks is because things outside of Austin are so cool.

Do I have that correct?

• Like 2

austin = san diego in the hill country

houston = a bigger, slightly better shreveport, but with more brown people and great food

dallas = kansas city or any fucking large midwest town not named chicago

san antonio = the valley at the end of the hill country

college station = almost as good as alvin, only with more stupidity

lubbock/odessa/midland = the middle of fucking nowhere in texas

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So Austin rocks, but the towns around it suck, and the reason Austin rocks is because things outside of Austin are so cool.

Do I have that correct?

burbs suck in most any city.  but i'd rather be stuck in the burbs on the outskirts of austin than the burbs in houston or dallas.  at least the burbs in austin, it's a short drive into austin, the hill country, or the beautiful lakes.  

houston's only redeeming value is great, diverse food.  that place is amazing for great food, and not the bullshit foo foo small plates shit.  it's shittiest quality is that it's fucking ugly as hell.  i mean god awful ugly.  blue collar city which is reflected in the culture and aesthetics. 

I guess it’s all those blue collar workers that keep the south/southwest’s best arts and cultural center going. If I didn’t have to work, I would live in the hill country, but certainly not Austin.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

austin = san diego in the hill country

houston = a bigger, slightly better shreveport, but with more brown people and great food

dallas = kansas city or any fucking large midwest town not named chicago

san antonio = the valley at the end of the hill country

college station = almost as good as alvin, only with more stupidity

lubbock/odessa/midland = the middle of fucking nowhere in texas

So crash is afraid of brown people and Midwesterners. Quite the unique brand of racism you have going there. 

There are a few main flavors of Austin looking down at other cities - 

1) politically, which I think has become maybe a bit more of an urban/rural thing than an Austin/everywhere else thing (and obviously goes both ways)

2) non Texans who came to Austin (and not Texas)

3) whenever some other city talks some shit, Austinites look up from not giving a shit and chortle, and then resume not giving a shit.   I think San Antonio does this about tacos or something, and Houston has been getting bowed up about being a better food city and being more diverse.

Outside of 1 and 2 I don't think I'm aware of Austin ever putting any effort into having an opinion about other Texas cities one way or the other.

It's like this scene, if the characters switched lines

giphy.gif

Edited by Celery Man

27 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess it’s all those blue collar workers that keep the south/southwest’s best arts and cultural center going. If I didn’t have to work, I would live in the hill country, but certainly not Austin.

actually you are right.  houston has amazing arts.  the menil, the MFA, houston ballet, the alley, etc.  for many years, i had season tickets to the alley theater and houston ballet.  in dallas, i hate season tickets to the dallas symphony.  austin sucks for the arts.

i was being super surly hyperbolic.

houston, austin, dallas all have great things.  they all have shitty things.  it's really down to personality and what it's important to you.  but having lived in those 3 cities, i could never move back to houston or dallas.  i love being outdoors and austin has more things in that category. 

if the burbs are your thing, then imo it really doesn't matter what city you live in.  to me, all the burbs are the same.  you can drop me off in any burb in dallas, fort worth, houston, or austin.  they are look and feel the same.  i hate the burbs.

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

actually you are right.  houston has amazing arts.  the menil, the MFA, houston ballet, the alley, etc.  for many years, i had season tickets to the alley theater and houston ballet.  in dallas, i hate season tickets to the dallas symphony.  austin sucks for the arts.

i was being super surly hyperbolic.

houston, austin, dallas all have great things.  they all have shitty things.  it's really down to personality and what it's important to you.  but having lived in those 3 cities, i could never move back to houston or dallas.  i love being outdoors and austin has more things in that category. 

if the burbs are your thing, then imo it really doesn't matter what city you live in.  to me, all the burbs are the same.  you can drop me off in any burb in dallas, fort worth, houston, or austin.  they are look and feel the same.  i hate the burbs.

how do you feel about cul-de-sacs?

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Why is it always a Houston or Austin guy starting these threads?  

Houston because they always want to find a way to shit on Dallas and act superior. 

Austin because they want to blissfully act as if they aren’t becoming more like other cities in Texas. 

Anyways, I don’t think El Paso really has any rivalries with cities as it’s a black hole that’s hard to escape. 

i grew up in Houston. i have not been a fan, left for college in Austin and never even entertained returning. my mother was the only reason i ever kept returning. it always just felt...gross. too many memories. ugly and sticky. i was raised there but i'm from Austin, if you know what i mean...

mom passed in January and i had to return Memorial Day weekend for probate hearing. 

given the solemness of the occasion, we decided to try something different...we visited as tourists. 

spent 2 nights at the Magnolia downtown. parked the car and rode the metrorail everywhere. saw Van Gough exhibit. the MFAH is HUGE. drinks on hotel rooftop. room service for breakfast. italian at Osso and Kristalla, tacos at Bodega, lamb chops and braised shortribs at Hearsay, etouffe at Treebeards (i checked surly for recommendations!). walked a few miles. explored downtown like i'd never been there. in fact, i can't remember the last time i was (mom lived out past Hwy 6).

what i discovered...once you get away from the strip malls, chain restaurants and ugliness of the suburbs...it was really nice. hotel was great and perfect location. we didn't have a bad meal (and they all seemed way cheaper than Austin!) downtown and museum district are historic and beautiful. public transportation was easy and fast. 

i was so glad we did that. i needed a...palate cleanser for Houston, and this did the trick. i have some really nice memories of the city now ❤
i'll still never live here, but i may visit again!

it was a good experience and i'd actually do it again. in the fall/winter! 😁

• Like 4

I was born and raised in DFW; went to UT and currently live in Austin; and lived in Houston for about a year and still spend a decent bit of time there.

Houston absolutely has an inferiority complex when it comes to Dallas, and it is mostly a one-way street. It is always the people from Houston that start shitting on Dallas, not the other way around. Kind of like aggy. I don't know why - Houston has plenty going for it, and having spent time in both I consider them basically the same places with different weather. You can go down the list of major neighborhoods in each and match them. Dallas has dirt burglars and pig, Houston has aggy and swamp aggy. Maybe it is because there are, in fact, lots of aggies and that's just who they are. But it is real, even if it is unwarranted.

I have never seen the Houston hate for Austin OP describes. I think some of the conservative suburban types in both Houston and DFW like to shit on Austin for being liberal, which is expected, but also kind of funny given how liberal Dallas and Houston proper are. Inside 635/610 is a different world from the suburbs. I have always found it odd that Austin generally seems more culturally/economically connected with Dallas despite being closer to Houston, and especially San Antonio.

I sometimes get the Dallas wanting to be Austin vibe, but Austin is also starting to look a lot more like Dallas. I think they are starting to look generally similar because they both attract a lot of the same crowd: younger, educated tech/business professionals. They're also both very transplant heavy. That isn't to say uniquely Austin or uniquely Dallas doesn't exist, but where they were once very starkly different, they are moving closer together. The same is true in Houston, but to a noticeably lesser extent.

Dallas and Houston are also both way, way less racially segregated than Austin. Being in Dallas or Houston really highlights how heavily white popular public spaces are in Austin. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or some such. 

Native Houstonian-- and by that I mean the city of Houston. Not fucking Katy, cypress, Woodlands. Houston. This gets confused by some people who want to talk shit. This also goes for the people who say they're from Houston, but are actually from Pearland or some other cookie cutter suburb next to us with over bearing police. It's not that you don't like Houston. You don't like (insert aggy neighborhood.) Oh yeah, and since we're on the subject, very few aggy actually reside in Houston. That stupid narrative is completely false and we should know this because aggy doesn't live in populations with "ethnicity."

Growing up, there was a natural rivalry between us and Dallas. Used to care for some reason but then I grew up. Dallas is ok. Kinda indifferent about it. 

Going to UT, everyone told me how much I'd love Austin. The nightlife, the food, the music, etc. They were right to an extent (unpopular opinion incoming) but to be perfectly honest, Austin is too trendy, "let's distort the meaning of 'Keep Austin Weird' to mean whatever the fuck you want it to be," fake Hollywood of the south, and the traffic makes absolutely no fucking sense. Austin has its charm but I guess it's too "weird" for me to live there. Plus it's expensive as shit. 

Love San Antonio. Fuck the spurs. 

Love the valley and south Texas. 

Everywhere else I haven't spent enough time in to give an honest opinion. 

I love the state of Texas. There's no rivalries to me (at least, non sport)

• Like 1