Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fecal shedding through shared plumbing is also a probable contributing factor in wuhan.  this was reported in the hong kong press.  not for the age of buildings but because of the "shitty" quality of the plumbing and the fact that the residents do their own plumbing when they remodel.

1 hour ago, heso said:

I’ve had a nearly identical experience for the last few days and have been wondering if I have it. It’s unlikely, as there aren’t any confirmed cases in the city yet. I know there are about 5 presumptive positives in local hospitals right now. Ohio claiming they have 100,000 cases makes me wonder if I do. 

I know I couldn’t get tested right now if I wanted to.  I’ve definitely found myself hoping it’s a mild covid. 

Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route— Also new: Like SARS, COVID-19 may induce liver damage

"New research from China indicates that the novel coronavirus is also spread by fecal-oral transmission, not just by respiratory droplets or environmental contact.

Hong Shan, MD, PhD, of Fifth Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, and colleagues noted that the gastrointestinal tract is a welcoming environment for the virus, also known as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) CoV-2. "Our immunofluorescent data showed that the ACE2 protein, which has been proved to be a cell receptor for SARS-CoV-2, is abundantly expressed in the glandular cells of gastric, duodenal, and rectal epithelia, supporting the entry of SARS-CoV-2 into the host cell," the team wrote.

New research from China indicates that the novel coronavirus is also spread by fecal-oral transmission, not just by respiratory droplets or environmental contact.

Hong Shan, MD, PhD, of Fifth Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, and colleagues noted that the gastrointestinal tract is a welcoming environment for the virus, also known as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) CoV-2. "Our immunofluorescent data showed that the ACE2 protein, which has been proved to be a cell receptor for SARS-CoV-2, is abundantly expressed in the glandular cells of gastric, duodenal, and rectal epithelia, supporting the entry of SARS-CoV-2 into the host cell," the team wrote.

Among the key findings of the study, published online in Gastroenterology:
  • A significant portion of coronavirus patients experience diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and/or abdominal discomfort before the onset of respiratory symptoms
  • Viral RNA is detectable in fecal samples from suspected cases, indicating that the virus sheds into the stool
  • Viral gastrointestinal infection and potential fecal-oral transmission can last even after viral clearance from the respiratory tract

The study looked at 73 patients hospitalized for possible COVID-19 and tested from February 1 to 14, 2020. Testing included serum, nasopharyngeal, and oropharyngeal swabs, as well as urine, stool, and tissue samples in accordance with China Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

A total of 39 patients (53.4%; 25 males and 14 females), tested positive for fecal SARS-CoV-2 RNA. The age of patients with positive RNA in stool ranged from 10 months to 78 years, and the duration of stool positivity ranged from 1 to 12 days. Furthermore, the stool of 17 patients (23.3%) remained positive even after respiratory samples tested negative.

cont."

^^^  That first bullet point above is what happened to me.  Single episode of diarrhea out of the blue end of last week, followed by onset of upper airway resistance to breathing starting in back of throat down my trachea and a sense of pressure or heaviness further down in center area my lungs early this week.  Last two days it's more noticeable a 3-4/10.  If it were to turn up to a 7/10, I could see it feeling like I couldn't breathe or have to work for every breath.  If it holds right  here I'm good.  Called my PCP office a bit ago and they said since I didn't meet criteria a test wasn't available.  wow.  

The fecal-oral route, if this is what it is, had to come from wrestling with my kid.  Those grubby hands on my face and covering my mouth is pretty routine.  

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Nearly impossible due to access issues.  Something will have to give if this is the route they go to. 

surprise: surly 10%'ers/1%'ers/whatever don't understand that not every school-aged child has access to internet, food, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Admin announced upthread that people who post C/R stuff here are going to have every post thereafter individually moderated for a week and, because he is busy, that means a post made today wouldn't show up until next week at the earliest.  The "conniptions" likely are efforts made to prevent this from taking place.

People's Republic of Surly. 

And 48 deaths.   Read they are going to test the recently deceased from that nursing home, that weren’t tested before, so that will go up.

That’s where I’m at... the deaths aren’t spiking by astronomical amounts outside of the nursing home in Washington. And yes I know this disease has been here for probably 2 months.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing this nationally, which has been live in Colorado for a couple days now.  I wonder how long the federal initiative will take to spin up and when we'll start to see them in action?  I am sure it will suck at the start, the one in Denver is overwhelmed now, but they should get it smoothed out eventually.

coronavirus-testing-Getty-001.jpg

Quite a few around the country already. Wife’s system opened theirs yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Butterfly effect: 3 months ago a Wuhan chinaman ate an undercooked bat and today all American sports are cancelled. 

You forgot the part about walking past the virology lab after he ate the bat and bumping into the Chinese version of Charles Campion as he was sliding under the closing door. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Nearly impossible due to access issues.  Something will have to give if this is the route they go to. 

That and the fact that probably 99% of the teachers have had no training or experience in online instruction.  Then you are relying on the students to actually take it seriously, (which, honestly I wouldn't have at those ages).  Older kids might be babysitting younger siblings.  And that's not even considering teachers or students get sick.

Even if 90% of the students participate in the online instruction, wtf you going to do with the 10%?

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Interesting stat just now in the WH press conference:  Only 1% of the US CV tests performed by Quest Diagnostics have been positive for CV.

Hmmm... Sounds suspicious like SEC steroid testing suspicious.

14 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route— Also new: Like SARS, COVID-19 may induce liver damage

"New research from China indicates that the novel coronavirus is also spread by fecal-oral transmission, not just by respiratory droplets or environmental contact.

New research from China indicates that the novel coronavirus is also spread by fecal-oral transmission, not just by respiratory droplets or environmental contact.

Among the key findings of the study, published online in Gastroenterology:
  • A significant portion of coronavirus patients experience diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and/or abdominal discomfort before the onset of respiratory symptoms
  • Viral RNA is detectable in fecal samples from suspected cases, indicating that the virus sheds into the stool
  • Viral gastrointestinal infection and potential fecal-oral transmission can last even after viral clearance from the respiratory tract

The study looked at 73 patients hospitalized for possible COVID-19 and tested from February 1 to 14, 2020. Testing included serum, nasopharyngeal, and oropharyngeal swabs, as well as urine, stool, and tissue samples in accordance with China Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

A total of 39 patients (53.4%; 25 males and 14 females), tested positive for fecal SARS-CoV-2 RNA. The age of patients with positive RNA in stool ranged from 10 months to 78 years, and the duration of stool positivity ranged from 1 to 12 days. Furthermore, the stool of 17 patients (23.3%) remained positive even after respiratory samples tested negative.

cont."

^^^  That first bullet point above is what happened to me.  Single episode of diarrhea out of the blue end of last week, followed by onset of upper airway resistance to breathing starting in back of throat down my trachea and a sense of pressure or heaviness further down in center area my lungs early this week.  Last two days it's more noticeable a 3-4/10.  If it were to turn up to a 7/10, I could see it feeling like I couldn't breathe or have to work for every breath.  If it holds right  here I'm good.

Same exact onset. My kid at CPHS had something and passed it along to us. I feel like I have a little asthma now. Nothing too serious. I felt some fatigue yesterday, and a headache the last two days but none today. First cold I've had in a few years.

29 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:
Pleasant Grove seedy, or Walnut Hill/35 seedy?

Both about the same but I no Weller in the Grove usually

I prefer my seedy areas to be more of the grimy, industrial wasteland.  And before anybody calls me racist, I’m willing to bet that I’ve spent more time in the Grove than 99% of this board.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Loco said:

By cheap you mean more expensive than gasoline.

You are getting ripped off if you are paying more for bottled water than for gas. It's $3.50 for 45 16.9 ounce bottles at Costco, which comes to roughly 60 cents a gallon. 

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Surprisingly, grand rounds in Houston was saying that fomites were the major spreaders rather than airborne particles.

That's what my body (research physician at Methodist) has told me as well.  Mostly contracted touching fomite then touching your face.

He also said that he suspects that Houston may have had a bout of this pass through as early as December of last year.  He said that he thinks it's possible that it was actually COVID19 that sent my wife to the hospital on NYE.  She never tested positive to any form of flu and we didn't have any knowledge on the new virus at that time.  Her symptoms fit the virus as well, with rapid onset atypical pneumonia (damaged/inflamed lung tissue vs. fluid in the lung).  It made a lot of sense when we were talking about it last night.  Whatever it was, I had it before her and it knocked me on my ass big time.  It also burned through all of our friends and relatives in the area over the next few weeks.  As far as I know, none of them tested positive for any known flu at that time either.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

I needed beef and chicken so I thought:  I'll just swing by Costco on my way home from work.  Bad idea.  They were completely out of chicken.  Thighs, breast, everything.

Some fuck head had his entire cart full of ground beef.  Told him he was a lunatic and grabbed 4 pounds out of his cart.  Costco employee came up to him and said he couldn't take all the beef.  It's like hurricane Harvey all over again except people are more crazy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

We went ahead and scheduled a curbside order for Sunday. I'm curious to see how much of it will be subbed or out. Not gonna participate in the madness of going in there this weekend .

Luckily everything I ordered on Amazon Fresh was available. It was delivered an hour ago. I bet it’s been stolen by now 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Risk mitigation? Are they planning on losing staff? This folks is an indicator of holy fuck. 

Sounds like it gives them more time to stock before Karen waits for 12 rolls of TP and 40 pounds of chicken breast to get rolled out immediately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

We went ahead and scheduled a curbside order for Sunday. I'm curious to see how much of it will be subbed or out. Not gonna participate in the madness of going in there this weekend .

29 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Those damn fomites.

what are fomites? 

Purty sure they're like mennonites, but they don't make that great cheese.

18 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

That's what my body (research physician at Methodist) has told me as well.  Mostly contracted touching fomite then touching your face.

He also said that he suspects that Houston may have had a bout of this pass through as early as December of last year.  He said that he thinks it's possible that it was actually COVID19 that sent my wife to the hospital on NYE.  She never tested positive to any form of flu and we didn't have any knowledge on the new virus at that time.  Her symptoms fit the virus as well, with rapid onset atypical pneumonia (damaged/inflamed lung tissue vs. fluid in the lung).  It made a lot of sense when we were talking about it last night.  Whatever it was, I had it before her and it knocked me on my ass big time.  It also burned through all of our friends and relatives in the area over the next few weeks.  As far as I know, none of them tested positive for any known flu at that time either.

If that's true....it would be interesting as hell.  A co-worker and I each had a hellacious cold.  Hers started in January, mine started late November, I think.  The worst part was a lingering awful cough for both of us -- we each went to the Dr. it was so bad.

5 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

CDC Estimates

@Brisketexan  CDC has numbers similar to yours as a ‘worse case’. Sticking with it?

Can you just post them?  I don't have a NYT subscription.

As for my prediction....let's see what happens with the isolation techniques we're starting to employ, and what we find out as testing ramps up.  I'd like to hope that we've flattened the curve and hopefully the fatality rate.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away