Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What does lockdown really mean? Is Italy forcing people to stay home at the threat of arrest?  Or is lockdown the reverse  of “mandatory evacuation” which doesn’t really mean what it says. 

My first thought was to answer your question "yes". But it's not that simple.

Everything not a pharmacy or grocery store, to include restaurants, is closed. You have to have a document to travel, but you can self certify. For now, it's working because too many Italians are dying and people are scared. I've been out in public a bit and you can see the difference, and yes younger people are all like DGAF. Dumbfuck Italian bearded hipster douchebag cut in front of me at the store, maybe didn't realize he was crossing a line but fortunately I'm the well mannered sort. 

The point is, it will change, and it's not a function of carabinieri or the italian military, which seems to be out and about. The cops here are just like the ones in the US, but worse. They'll recklessly target the innocent with great violence and let the criminals go free, though they do seem to have a thing for the migrants, or at least a new excuse to go after them (I witnessed it). The people outnumber the cops, so when the people decide they're not gonna stay home, they won't. The end. Doesn't matter if gramma dies at that point.

The reason the death rates are so high is that the ICU's have triaged out all the older patients. AKA if you're 65 or older, no ICU for you. 

I deal with stress pretty well, most people don't. There's a clock on this lockdown thing. It creates a pressure cooker. Things will blow up after a while. It's all a grand new experiment but Italy was a pressure cooker before and this isn't helping. I suspect (but am not predicting) it will have larger implications. Well other than another financial step down for the failing Italian economy.

I've been trying to reach my elderly step mom for a week. She lives in the UK and hasn't returned my calls or emails.... until just now. 

She's on a fucking cruise ship on the way back to Miami. JFC!

The olds need to be grounded. Box of fucking rocks has better decision making skills

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

I just assumed it was no longer available.  has anyone seen it on a shelf in the last few days?

My wife stocks up on shit like that at all times.  I know that I have at least 10 containers of Clorox wipes in my house.

44 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm joining the wife is pissed at me club.

I wouldn't say my wife is pissed, but after detecting some 'tude and pressing her on it a little bit, I discovered that the "household procedures" that I am trying to implement (e.g., 'for any Amazon deliveries, hit all six sides of the box with disinfectant spray, take it to the garage, open it there, take out the contents, and immediately dispose of the shipping box in a garbage bag that will never enter the house') are stressing her out. 

Sorry I'm trying not to kill your parents, dear!!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NAVY said:

I've been trying to reach my elderly step mom for a week. She lives in the UK and hasn't returned my calls or emails.... until just now. 

The olds need to be grounded. Box of fucking rocks has better decision making skills

if that cruise ship is corona free there’s no safer place to be. 

14 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is this millennial revenge on baby boomers? They'll stay healthy and kill the olds. The ultimate "Ok Boomer"

Also my neighbor is throwing a birthday party right now for his kid with like 12 5 year olds and their parents their. Unreal.

This will kill almost as many Boomers as the knockout game.

• Like 1

I have a dilemma. I’m in Argentina since 3/7. On 3/12 there was an executive order saying “anybody who’s been in the USA in the past 14 days (which I have been) must self-quarantine for 14 days”. One day before that executive order came out, I traveled to another town which is kind of far from my parents house where I was staying. I travelled by car and I’m staying at a vacation rental, not a hotel. WTF am I supposed to do now, stay put where I’m at until I reach 14 days after entering the country, or drive back to my parents house immediately and finish the 14 day isolation there?

I have a dilemma. I’m in Argentina since 3/7. On 3/12 there was an executive order saying “anybody who’s been in the USA in the past 14 days (which I have been) must self-quarantine for 14 days”. One day before that executive order came out, I traveled to another town which is kind of far from my parents house where I was staying. I travelled by car and I’m staying at a vacation rental, not a hotel. WTF am I supposed to do now, stay put where I’m at until I reach 14 days after entering the country, or drive back to my parents house immediately and finish the 14 day isolation there?
Stay away from people for 2 weeks. Do it wherever you want, just do it.

59 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Correct. There are also a fuck ton of unknown deaths that could be contributed to corona. A friend who is an ER doc at Herman said theyve had about a dozen patients die in the hospital since mar 1 without a cause of death they can nail down and have tested negative for corona (but had exact corona symptoms)

then this would mean there are multiple strains which the test(s) don't catch.

29 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Spring Break will spread it here in the US like the lunar new year spread it in China when outbreak first began there. Huge jumps here in next 2/3 weeks 

Guilty.  I tried my damndest, but I couldn’t convince the wife to cancel Hawaii.  She has wanted to go her whole life...a bucket list item.  The irony...

13 minutes ago, XYZ said:

los desaparecidos

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

American’s true culture will once again reveal itself during all this. Riots, looting, and killing people for toilet paper. It will be on display for all the world to see.

Greatest generation is just a memory.  People have a chance right now to do something for the greater good.  Save the life of someone you'll never meet.

Nope, they're worried about their fucking St. Patrick's Day drunkfest.

6 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Guilty.  I tried my damndest, but I couldn’t convince the wife to cancel Hawaii.  She has wanted to go her whole life...a bucket list item.  The irony...

seems like lots of posters’ wives are not very concerned about what’s going on.  I would’ve assumed that the women would be freaking out.  interesting. 

A friend’s parents were on that Viking cruise in Egypt that had a bunch of cases. As of THU, they were trying to get a flight back to Houston.

35 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Oh get the fuck out. Total bullshit. You know it’s not going to be 3.5% or anything even near that. 

he says he intubates for a living.  there is wild fear-trolling, and there is data which must be deliberated.  if greenspoint comes off as an alarmist troll, i hope he scares the shit out of anyone on the fence; and he openly called himself out from the future if he was in retrospect way off.

and based on the number of idiots out today of all ages we need more fear-mongering to get people holed up.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

then this would mean there are multiple strains which the test(s) don't catch.

Probably not. At least not mutated enough for the test to miss. You are insinuating that the virus is changing the one gene used for detection multiple times. Not likely. 

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

and based on the number of idiots out today of all ages we need more fear-mongering to get people holed up.

Until we get rapid accurate testing, sadly this is true. This last week of monitoring Italy and Spain has changed my outlook.  We have to flatten the curve.

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I have a friend (31) who is in the resort country of CO skiing. He’s from Vancouver. They already told him don’t show up for 2 weeks 

Sucks for him as Vail (and presumably others) are set to close here. Coming was especially selfish since the high country really is underprepared in terms of health care, and getting to either the Western Slope or Denver can be a mess. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So what is everybody’s thoughts on ordering food to be delivered like pizza or something from a restaurant?  It that not really safe in that you have to trust all the people that handle the food from cooking to delivery are not contagious?  

Wash hands.  Remove food from container.  Throw container away.  Wash hands.  Eat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So what is everybody’s thoughts on ordering food to be delivered like pizza or something from a restaurant?  It that not really safe in that you have to trust all the people that handle the food from cooking to delivery are not contagious?  

wouldn’t do it. 

I read it’s 6 months in prison if you’re caught breaking quarantine. Seriously.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think its a much better option than going to a restaurant. 5 people at Dominos v  20 people inside restaurant. But that do I know.  

35 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Good luck.  I've tried, i have friends that have tried with theirs, they just don't give a fuck.  American Exceptionalism.  Fox and God told them so.  And last week OM said it's all good.  They have plenty of food and medicine.  And goddamnit they will go play bridge and get their hair "fixed" and nails done come hell or high water and fuck you and fuck everyone who says they are not entitled to their version of reality.

May God have mercy on us all.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Overall risk is low but not zero. Data suggest that respiratory spread and close extended contact presents the greatest risk. Fomites (virus on surface) are likely low on the surfaces unless someone spit on your food or sneezed on your containers. It would be almost impossible to eliminate all of your risk unless you went full prepper. Wash your hands and don't kiss the delivery driver. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Wash hands.  Remove food from container.  Throw container away.  Wash hands.  Eat.

Yep. Risk through food is low. I’d imagine most legit restaurants are going full gloves and hand wash every half hour right now.  

I wouldn't say my wife is pissed, but after detecting some 'tude and pressing her on it a little bit, I discovered that the "household procedures" that I am trying to implement (e.g., 'for any Amazon deliveries, hit all six sides of the box with disinfectant spray, take it to the garage, open it there, take out the contents, and immediately dispose of the shipping box in a garbage bag that will never enter the house') are stressing her out. 
Sorry I'm trying not to kill your parents, dear!!! 

Why do you assume the contents of the box are any more corona free than the outside?

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The wife and I had this exact same discussion last night, as we’re a little burned out on cooking. We decided against it because the odds are low, but not nonexistent. Damn, now I want a pizza. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away