College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

That’s complete bullshit. Y’all dodged SMU once, refusing to play them as your OOC game. They even said they would move the game to FW and STILL play in FW next year as well. Y’all chose Tenn Tech instead of the 100th game vs SMU. And only after they cancelled did you agree to play SMU. Has everything to do with SMU beating y’all last year and projected to be good. 

Nah only partly correct. Why wouldn’t we have scheduled some random FCS team when Tenn Tech cancelled?

2 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Nah only partly correct. Why wouldn’t we have scheduled some random FCS team when Tenn Tech cancelled?

Because SMU made it public and shamed y’all.  You’ve now cancelled the game twice. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article244741902.html

What FCS school cancelled with TCU and who did they replace TCU with?

Normally in the FCS world, those teams freaking rely on the FBS pay days for budget reasons. It’s far more common for an FCS to cancel with another FCS to go play an FBS team and make hundreds of thousands more money.

Very few FCS programs can handle not having an FBS game check each year

55 minutes ago, Monster said:

CDC says this flu, on its own, has killed roughly 11,000 people in 8 months.   Average age of those who died is 79 years old.  Each year, roughly 36,000 people die in car wrecks.  For the 0-24 age range, you're far more likely to die in a car wreck than covid.   Should we stop people from driving?

Are you plagiarizing Dr. Phil?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’ll be laughing at everyone with a full roster and 75% stadium capacity come October

I really believe their FB team is probably one of the safest groups of humans on the planet at this point. 
Keeping their general students from fucking like Tech Jack rabbits on the other hand...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

You really don't have to (and shouldn't) take my word for it. There's been plenty written about the lack of scientific consensus about playing CFB this year, rich with differing opinions expressed directly by experts themselves.

USA Today: Same data. Same research. But different conclusions on safety of college football.

Sports Illustrated: 'It's a F------ Mess': How and Why Football Conferences Are Arriving at Opposing Medical Conclusions

WebMD: Will COVID Sideline the College Football Season?

All based on the simple basis of "are there risks?", certainly but to what extent and that's where both CV19 & myocarditis  prove to be a non factor vs existing a well documented risks.   Myocarditis risk & awareness is not new to athletics, it just never before hit the radar due to being rare and the lesser of more predominant concerns (CTE, steroid abuse, pain killers, obesity etc).   

By the same measure the sport should have been cancelled years ago.   The issues being bantered today wouldn't even make it to the short list of a debate on why to cancel competitive athletics.

11 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

All based on the simple basis of "are there risks?", certainly but to what extent and that's where both CV19 & myocarditis  prove to be a non factor vs existing a well documented risks.   Myocarditis risk & awareness is not new to athletics, it just never before hit the radar due to being rare and the lesser of more predominant concerns (CTE, steroid abuse, pain killers, obesity etc).   

By the same measure the sport should have been cancelled years ago.   The issues being bantered today wouldn't even make it to the short list of a debate on why to cancel competitive athletics.

I want to be clear: the position I believe you challenged is that there's no general consensus among experts about the safety of playing college football re the pandemic, so it's difficult for anyone to predict what the season will look like re the pandemic with a ton of confidence. My understanding is that you're arguing otherwise: either that there is a general consensus about the safety of playing college football and/or that we can predict what the season will look like with a high degree of confidence.

The fact that football players are dying from things other than COVID is actually totally irrelevant to the fact that football players will/may die because of COVID. It does not change the risks whatsoever and it does not make those risks even slightly more or less acceptable.

And yes, the sport should have been cancelled years ago. We're all going to hell for continuing to support it, and it's absolutely going to be worth it.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:
Roll Tide

And yet not a single hospitalization.  From the article:

Friend said Wednesday he wasn’t aware of any UA student requiring hospitalization as a result of a COVID-19 diagnosis.

And hospitalizations statewide continue to drop in Alabama, suggesting that (at least so far) these cases have not led to spread from students to vulnerable populations.

Edited by Message Board User

Wait how many tested positive for TCU? What is the threshold to not play?

The Big 12 Conference announced its football game cancellation thresholds.  The minimum number of players required to play a game has been set at 53.  The number is based on the entire roster, including all scholarship and walk-on players.

Additional minimum thresholds of available players were also established for offensive linemen (7), interior defensive linemen (4) and quarterback (1).  Teams falling below any of these benchmarks, based on game week test results, could still elect to play as scheduled if so desired.  Otherwise, upon approval by the Commissioner, the game would be declared a no-contest if it cannot be moved to a later date.

The Conference’s “9+1” 2020 schedule features a full round-robin among Big 12 teams, plus one non-conference game.  The schedule provides each team with two bye dates, plus the option to move the Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship back one week to December 19 if needed.  Open dates will be used for rescheduling games in the event a team does not have enough players to compete.

The non-conference portion of the Big 12 schedule kicks off next weekend, with Conference play beginning September 26th.

Edited by Neonmoon

11 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Agree completely.  IMO, its all about optics.

Tweeting a picture of text is terrible optics.  

5 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

im sure they were screaming about their rights and amendments and saying fuck you government you arent the boss of me!     we are an extremely selfish people. 

UR sure the British subjects were screaming about amendments to their unwritten consitution.

13 hours ago, Monster said:

It's a massive business that creates tens of thousands of jobs and keeps the lights on at Universities all over the US   And those Universities are the lifeblood for hundreds of thousands of people who live and work in the towns surrounding these schools.   Economies are interconnected. 

I do wonder how many people advocating for cancellation of other people's livelihoods have lost their own jobs or had their businesses destroyed by doomsday predictions that still haven't come true. 

CDC says this flu, on its own, has killed roughly 11,000 people in 8 months.   Average age of those who died is 79 years old.  Each year, roughly 36,000 people die in car wrecks.  For the 0-24 age range, you're far more likely to die in a car wreck than covid.   Should we stop people from driving?

If you want to quit your job for a year and wait around until the TV says it's "safe", go for it.  I'm sure you can do without money for 1 year, right?

Man, I actually agree with most of this post, but when you throw in this click bait Facebook bullshit, it completely neuters the point you're trying to make.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Wait how many tested positive for TCU? What is the threshold to not play?

They don't have to tell us. SMU is a non-conference game so the threshold doesn't apply. As some people posted earlier, this may have a lot to do with TCU realizing what was gonna happen on the field vs a solid Pony squad that will have already played a game.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think we can at least get a pretty fucking good idea. This is obviously being brought up in any meeting where deciding whether to play or not is the subject.

There have been 200k deaths and 6 million cases in this country. Covid might still be mysterious, but I don't think it's some grand mystery anymore. I think the risks are pretty well realized at this point and now it's up to us to decide what risk taking we are comfortable with and what risk taking needs to be condemned and disallowed. 

Excellent news. So what are the long term after effects for someone who has contracted the virus but was asymptomatic?

• Fuck You 1

I mean, yeah. It's a silly analogy for many reasons if you really break it down. Was more going after the "living in fear" idea. I don't see playing football as much of a blip on the overall covid radar. I think it would be similar to what the MLB has done.

Really what it comes down to is answering the question “am I okay with strangers occasionally dying to provide me entertainment?”

If you’re okay with answering yes, then full speed ahead.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 13

Excellent news. So what are the long term after effects for someone who has contracted the virus but was asymptomatic?

We don’t know for sure with 100% certainty what each and every negative effect it has on each and every person in the world who tested positive so we all need to stay home and not go anywhere until that is figured out.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

We don’t know for sure with 100% certainty what each and every negative effect it has on each and every person in the world who tested positive so we all need to stay home and not go anywhere until that is figured out.

Yeah.  Don’t let anyone out and do anything is as dumb as let’s pretend there’s no virus at all.  My hesitation is these are amateur athletes that people are making a lot of money on.  

But here at the home of B1G headquarters every single hospital in the city has had its C19 unit closed for months now and patios are jam packed with people boozing.  I guessed the virus is weaker in summer, as in it still spreads but hospitalizations would be way down.  That educated guess seems to be correct but you don’t hear much about that on any news channel, left or right.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Really what it comes down to is answering the question “am I okay with strangers occasionally dying to provide me entertainment?”

Well I missed the games on Thursday night.  Those selfish bastards playing And watching their foosball.  Does anyone happen to have the death count for players and coaches from those games?  

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Well I missed the games on Thursday night.  Those selfish bastards playing And watching their foosball.  Does anyone happen to have the death count for players and coaches from those games?  

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen.  

You just don’t get it do you buddy.  This just isn’t about damn football.  Your  cavalier attitude and others like you regarding a damn serious health crisis in our country is a major reason we are projected to have over 400,000 deaths in this country by the end of 2020.  You probably don’t believe this either.  I hope you send 400,000 thoughts and prayers to the families losing loved ones and I sincerely hope your family as well as mine aren’t touched.  I understand the hoopla over athletics college and pro.  More than anything, I wish more individuals realized lives WILL Be SAVED if our country would make wise educated choices concerning public activities until we have a valid vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Ah, so I see you're not a fan of sports at all, since this post sets a standard that most major sports fail to some degree or another, especially football.

Or maybe you're one of those types who doesn't understand that you look like a whiny bitch who can't come to a conversation with logic and therefore has to rely on hyperbolic statements and guilt tripping. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah.  Don’t let anyone out and do anything is as dumb as let’s pretend there’s no virus at all.  My hesitation is these are amateur athletes that people are making a lot of money on.  

But here at the home of B1G headquarters every single hospital in the city has had its C19 unit closed for months now and patios are jam packed with people boozing.  I guessed the virus is weaker in summer, as in it still spreads but hospitalizations would be way down.  That educated guess seems to be correct but you don’t hear much about that on any news channel, left or right.  

There have been plenty of discussions on seasonality of COVID. You are far from alone in your educated guess. 

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

The virus is a damn serious matter. But goddamn if everything doesn't have to be hyperbolic and political on both ends of every conversation nowadays. 

No shit. No matter how seemingly non-political something is it eventually becomes partisan. I am looking forward to my political beliefs dictating what laundry detergent I use and whether I shower in the morning or at night.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

No shit. No matter how seemingly non-political something is it eventually becomes partisan. I am looking forward to my political beliefs dictating what laundry detergent I use and whether I shower in the morning or at night.

You know some laundry detergents are better for the "whites".  Yup.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This has always been what the “nobody is dropping dead” crowd seems to miss. Covid running rampant on college campuses it what’s going to cost us games. It already has. There will be a ton of cancellations. 

And those cancellations will do nothing to stop the covid spread on college campuses.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This has always been what the “nobody is dropping dead” crowd seems to miss. Covid running rampant on college campuses it what’s going to cost us games. It already has. There will be a ton of cancellations. 

This is terrible. What happens after it “runs rampant”? Is that when they die?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2