Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×

Recommended Posts

Abbott press conference going on right now.

Existing stay-at-home order expires 4/30 and will not be renewed.

All local orders are superseded if they conflict with state order. 

Phase 1 of re-opening begins Friday 5/1. Retail, restaurants, movie theaters and malls can re-open at 25% occupancy levels.

Phase 2 will begin on Monday 5/18 if infection data remain steady and no setbacks. Capacity can increase to 50%. Bars, gyms, barber shops, and other additional categories will be considered for re-opening in Phase 2. No decision yet on those. 

Rural counties with very limited case numbers may be able to skip ahead to Phase 2.  Apparently this would apply to almost half the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, at this point, he very well may get sued.  Because that is contrary to Chapter 418 of the Government Code.  He can't supersede local control on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I haven’t seen his statements, but I suppose the logistics of Phase 1 and Phase 2 seem reasonable enough on paper.    However:

1.  Superseding local rules that impose additional limits is ridiculous and I would think illegal.   Not only is population density a huge factor in the spread, but realistically there are about  7-8 metro areas in the state whose hospitals will be treating everyone, including all the rural and small town people.  Telling the cities things are golden and suck it up because Eden hasn’t been hit hard is absurd. 

2.  It would be one thing if our population could be trusted to distance on their own like Sweden.   We won’t.   We already weren’t as of the end of last week when it was just hinted that Abbott wouldn’t renew the stay at home.   Now that it’s official, there will be no gradual reopening.  Everyone is just going to go buck wild until cases ramp up and they get scared again.

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Everyone is just going to go buck wild until cases ramp up and they get scared again.

I think that is kind of the point.  If you want to be scared, for yourself, or your parents, act accordingly.

Good luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We may go hangout with some friends at their houses, but ain't no way in hell I'm going to a restaurant or a bar right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so we open things up friday and there isn't enough time before phase 2 kicks in to even know if we're having a spike.  brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Abbott agrees that everyone should be "encouraged" to wear a mask, but his order supersedes and local jurisdiction and prohibits any fines for people not wearing masks.

Is this like 'praying for rain' during a drought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go to a movie at 25 percent capacity if I was in the last row so nobody breathes down on me. Unfortunately everything Hollywood produces is shit, so no need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I haven’t seen his statements, but I suppose the logistics of Phase 1 and Phase 2 seem reasonable enough on paper.    However:

1.  Superseding local rules that impose additional limits is ridiculous and I would think illegal.   Not only is population density a huge factor in the spread, but realistically there are about  7-8 metro areas in the state whose hospitals will be treating everyone, including all the rural and small town people.  Telling the cities things are golden and suck it up because Eden hasn’t been hit hard is absurd. 

2.  It would be one thing if our population could be trusted to distance on their own like Sweden.   We won’t.   We already weren’t as of the end of last week when it was just hinted that Abbott wouldn’t renew the stay at home.   Now that it’s official, there will be no gradual reopening.  Everyone is just going to go buck wild until cases ramp up and they get scared again.

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

 

Edited by GRHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

What is a "bar" and what is a "restaurant" ???

Yeah. You’re  going to see a lot of bars invest in microwaves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

What is a "bar" and what is a "restaurant" ???

I imagine if 51% or more of the store income is booze, it'll be considered a bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to go to a theater to watch the same 5 movies that I can get for rent or purchase at my home right now on Apple TV but without the threat of getting a possibly deadly virus. Sign me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Retail, restaurants, movie theaters and malls can re-open at 25% occupancy levels.

Will those kinds of businesses be profitable at 25% capacity?  Seems like they'd be better off staying closed.  I guess we'll find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well yeah but if those business CAN be open then their insurers probably don't have to pay business interruption claims and the state won't have to pay anyone who says "Yeah fuck that!" when they get called back to sling cocktails for any swinging dick off the street, which is the entire point of this exercise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

 

Man, fuck you for this bullshit.  I don't want anyone to get sick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Man, fuck you for this bullshit.  I don't want anyone to get sick.  

He can't help it, that's the way trumpkins think.  Any win must be at someone else's expense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deaths from the second wave will be on his hands. 
 

its as simple as that. 
 

I don’t see how this doesn’t fail horrible unless we up testing and tracing drastically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSHS supposedly has a testing and tracing plan in place.  They are going to start doing regional testing sites this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, GRHorn said:

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

 

the world won't end for all of us but for 100,000+ it will. if you get out of this thing without being directly touched by it then you are very lucky.

Edited by 4th&Five

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

What is a "bar" and what is a "restaurant" ???

a restaurant is where I tell my wife I am headed.  Bar is where the guys think we are headed. Strip club is where we really end up.

Edited by Dbeasy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Man, fuck you for this bullshit.  I don't want anyone to get sick.  

Don't be such a pussy.

Of course not every poster on here will, but all you have to do is look at the other thread. Anytime someone who was at a protest gets sick, Karma! Etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Xian said:

The deaths from the second wave will be on his hands. 
 

its as simple as that. 
 

I don’t see how this doesn’t fail horrible unless we up testing and tracing drastically. 

Testing doesn't matter!  We just have to see who winds up in the hospital/dies but also we are feverishly working to increase the testing capacity that doesn't matter because God forbid we wait 2 more weeks to get that in place! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

 

I won’t even be happy if you get sick, despite your implications.   I hope you do get to celebrate this summer.   Maybe you could even broaden your celebration to being happy about widespread death and misery coming to an end, in addition to the obvious joy you’d get from being kind of right about something political on the internet.

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will gladly say I hope I'm 100% wrong and every Dotard supporter gets to laugh at me, but I fear we are nowhere near to peak of this, and the more that people gather right now the higher the final number will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, at this point, he very well may get sued.  Because that is contrary to Chapter 418 of the Government Code.  He can't supersede local control on this.

Doesn't sound like City of Houston will be the one to fight that battle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who risks getting sick over a slice over some cargo shorts from Aeropostale, body spray from Bath and Body Works, and a slice of sbarro pizza deserves the Rona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does this change anything with unemployment benefits? I haven't read anything about it yet but I assume it would change some things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We may go hangout with some friends at their houses, but ain't no way in hell I'm going to a restaurant or a bar right now.

That's what we've been doing with one family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Will those kinds of businesses be profitable at 25% capacity?  Seems like they'd be better off staying closed.  I guess we'll find out.

Most restaurants aren't going to be profitable at anything less than 75% capacity.  So they're in much better shape staying closed.  And I think Abbott knows that.

17 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Well yeah but if those business CAN be open then their insurers probably don't have to pay business interruption claims and the state won't have to pay anyone who says "Yeah fuck that!" when they get called back to sling cocktails for any swinging dick off the street, which is the entire point of this exercise. 

That's what this is all about--it's a sop to the insurance industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol this is a horrible idea

 

Our surgical hospital (which does about 400-500 cases a month) applied for a covid testing machine over a month ago and isnt going to be receiving it until may 28th.

 

heaven help the other places trying to get one. In no way, shape, or form do we have the logistical side of this down enough to even think about opening at this time

 

be ready for another shelter in place coming around late june/early july

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I won’t even be happy if you get sick, despite your implications.   I hope you do get to celebrate this summer.   Maybe you could even broaden your celebration to being happy about widespread death and misery coming to an end, in addition to the obvious joy you’d get from being kind of right about something political on the internet.

I am happy that Corona, to this point, has been underwhelming. I was an alarmist originally.

At this point I think we'll get to have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed. The fall/winter will be a different story.

I get little joy from being right on the internet. It's provided diminished utility over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol this is a horrible idea

 

Our surgical hospital (which does about 400-500 cases a month) applied for a covid testing machine over a month ago and isnt going to be receiving it until may 28th.

 

heaven help the other places trying to get one. In no way, shape, or form do we have the logistical side of this down enough to even think about opening at this time

 

be ready for another shelter in place coming around late june/early july

Have you had to use all your PTO?  Is your group paying you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

That's what we've been doing with one family. 

What am I talking about? I'm talking about sex, boy. What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about l'amour. I'm talking me and Dot are swingers...as in "to swing.I'm talking about wife-swapping. I'm talking about what they call open marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you keep saying that for some reason.  is 60,000 dead already NBD to you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be an inevitable spike in a few weeks/months and we’ll be right back at square one. All because we have no way of fully testing and tracking allowing us to quarantine and isolate. These past 4-6 weeks have been for naught. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GRHorn said:

Have you had to use all your PTO?  Is your group paying you?

We dont get PTO, only get paid if we work (which is fine, im down for that). Lost 20k in the last month because we didnt work until last week with the shut down

 

Im totally in favor for being shut down for another 3 weeks or so. My fear is that we have opened wayyyy too soon and will be forced to shut down another 2-3 times before this is all over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I thought we shouldn't reopen anything because it won't be the same anyway?

The CR types will stay home. The DT types will be on the patio at Chuy's with my family on Friday afternoon.

When someone gets sick with social media posts downplaying the virus, yall will celebrate.

When the world doesn't end over the summer, DT types will celebrate.

Time is a flat circle

 

And when we have another stay at home order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

you keep saying that for some reason.  is 60,000 dead already NBD to you?

 

He REALLY likes Chuy's margaritas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I am happy that Corona, to this point, has been underwhelming. I was an alarmist originally.

At this point I think we'll get to have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed. The fall/winter will be a different story.

I get little joy from being right on the internet. It's provided diminished utility over time.

60k dead is underwhelming?  Glad we didn’t get your whelming scenario.  
 

we’re Headed to 100k.  I’ll celebrate being under that by fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

you keep saying that for some reason.  is 60,000 dead already NBD to you?

 

That is going to be the spin from the right. Anything under a million will be portrayed as a win by Trump supporters.

They are ghouls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

1.  Superseding local rules that impose additional limits is ridiculous and I would think illegal.   Not only is population density a huge factor in the spread, but realistically there are about  7-8 metro areas in the state whose hospitals will be treating everyone, including all the rural and small town people.  Telling the cities things are golden and suck it up because Eden hasn’t been hit hard is absurd. 

I've driven through Eden several times.  That place has been hit hard with something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I am happy that Corona, to this point, has been underwhelming. I was an alarmist originally.

At this point I think we'll get to have a relatively normal summer. Fingers crossed. The fall/winter will be a different story.

I get little joy from being right on the internet. It's provided diminished utility over time.

Underwhelming. Wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...