Hispanic Houston man found hanging from a tree

Pancho

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

At least Pancho is still posting in this thread when he made a big oversight and not running away like Js1.

JS1 is that kid hanging around with the gangster wannabes. Once the first starts, he runs in to get in a cheap shot (kick in the head of someone down or sucker punch) before quickly retreating to safety. In his mind, he always wins the fight, regardless of the actual outcome, and boasts about never getting touched.

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

At least the guy who hung himself doesn’t have to read this thread. 

My he got a glimpse of the future and the discussion about his death.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pancho said:

From that article linked in the tweet in the Houston Chronicle...

Houston police said they believe a Latino man found hanged early Monday was a likely suicide.

After the man's body was discovered in the Shady Acres community, a Huffington Post freelance reporter mischaracterized the victim on Twitter as a black male and questioned official statements on the likely cause of death. The tweet was widely liked and shared.

Responding to press inquiries, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo tweeted Monday evening that the victim was a "Hispanic/Caucasian male, and described by his family as suicidal." Acevedo wrote that there were no signs of foul play and that evidence pointed to suicide.

The Huffington Post freelance reporter deleted his earlier tweet and shared Acevedo's tweet, which included a link to a Houston Chronicle story on the incident.

The man was found hanged outside the store at 9:05 a.m. in the 2500 block of Ella Boulevard, south of  Interstate 610 North, police said. A video circulating on social media showed what appeared to be a man hanging from a tree in a field at that location, with emergency vehicles at the scene.

Speculation about the man's death followed two recent incidents in California in which black men were found hanged in public places.

The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences will determine the man's identity and official cause of death.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

I never said lynching.  I said hanging. 

I responding to lynchings when others mentioned it in the thread.  Yet you blamed me for being racist for this thread and calling this a lynching. My thread title and very first post did not say lynching at all.  So it’s not clear why you think and where you’re getting I called this an “automatic lynching.”

Actually, you did say lynching.

I think you are generally a very smart person, but I think it might be good for you to take some time off.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Hispanic/Caucasian?!?

Fuck, Antifa/BLM are lynching Caucasians now?!?

Send these terrorists to Gitmo!

Oh wait, sorry guys!  I just jumped to the most logical conclusion.

Turns out he wasn't lynched afterall!  Surprising I know!

Edited by Somnio

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Pancho was lied to and admitted his mistake. Let it go.

We've had race riots for 3 weeks. Property, and life have been burned down and snuffed out during that time. 

We want people to not jump to the first worst thing in thier head when this has been going on. We want facts.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’m just warning y’all now, Brisket is going to see this thread and come in with a 3 or 4 paragraph soliloquy with a lot of “YOU KNOWS” and anecdotes that will make y’all regret piling on Pancho. He screwed up and he admitted it. We are all “glad” to hear this was not a murder and we “hope” the same is true for the men in California. Maybe it’s time to show a little grace.

It is always time to show grace.  

• Like 3

Guys, don't worry, I'm sure if anyone were to go back to the Minneapolis is burning thread, I'm sure that you would find 16 negs from @Johnny Sack, @StruggleBus, @John Lawrence, and@Enchubben for all of the false reports about bricks being left out by Antifa, reports by Andy Ngo that are blatantly false, etc. These guys are paragons of virtue and would NEVER preferential neg false posts by Pancho over other, say, differently complexioned posters.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Guys, don't worry, I'm sure if anyone were to go back to the Minneapolis is burning thread, I'm sure that you would find 16 negs from @Johnny Sack, @StruggleBus, @John Lawrence, and@Enchubben for all of the false reports about bricks being left out by Antifa, reports by Andy Ngo that are blatantly false, etc. These guys are paragons of virtue and would NEVER preferential neg false posts by Pancho over other, say, differently complexioned posters.

negged for complaining about negging. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m just warning y’all now, Brisket is going to see this thread and come in with a 3 or 4 paragraph soliloquy with a lot of “YOU KNOWS” and anecdotes that will make y’all regret piling on Pancho. He screwed up and he admitted it. We are all “glad” to hear this was not a murder and we “hope” the same is true for the men in California. Maybe it’s time to show a little grace.

I already noted that the "lynching" story was not accurate on another thread last night.  It was going around as that, though, Pancho bit because these are the times for such things, and he figured it out.

But you know....this reminds me of Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra....

• Haha 1

There is no “news reporting” anymore.  It’s a race to be first and get the most clicks and stir up the most controversy.  Sadly there are no consequences for these “freelance journalists”. They say, oops my bad, if anything at all and move on to the next story.  From the so called journalists, it trickles down to everyone with a platform.  Our society is fucked and the root cause is the media and social media and the look at me culture. 

I know there is nothing groundbreaking in what I said, but it needs to be shouted from the rooftops by anyone who wants to see real change in our country

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I already noted that the "lynching" story was not accurate on another thread last night.  It was going around as that, though, Pancho bit because these are the times for such things, and he figured it out.

But you know....this reminds me of Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra....

Shaka when the walls fell. Kiteo, his eyes closed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

There is no “news reporting” anymore.  It’s a race to be first and get the most clicks and stir up the most controversy.  Sadly there are no consequences for these “freelance journalists”. They say, oops my bad, if anything at all and move on to the next story.  From the so called journalists, it trickles down to everyone with a platform.  Our society is fucked and the root cause is the media and social media and the look at me culture. 

I know there is nothing groundbreaking in what I said, but it needs to be shouted from the rooftops by anyone who wants to see real change in our country

They are only providing a product that there is demand for.

The product is the education system and the lack of critical thinking skills. As a population, it's our fault for:

1) Not holding the news organizations that jump the gun responsible for reporting incorrect facts

2) Not immediately questioning, looking for additional confirming sources, or viewing breaking hot takes with a very critical eye until we have reasonable confirmation that they're true

Social media hot take artists and journalists reporting breaking stories irresponsibly are not the disease; they are the symptom. We are the disease. If there was not a market for that kind of thing, they wouldn't exist.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The product is the education system and the lack of critical thinking skills. As a population, it's our fault for:

1) Not holding the news organizations that jump the gun responsible for reporting incorrect facts

2) Not immediately questioning, looking for additional confirming sources, or viewing breaking hot takes with a very critical eye until we have reasonable confirmation that they're true

Spot on.  But I am not so sure about the twatterverse being a just a symptom versus a strongly contributing factor to our information consumption. Twitter amplifies the worst aspects of everything. There is good to be found, but on balance twitter has been toxic to american political discourse, imo.  Just one more crank tightening the turns of the death spiral.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You've jumped on me like a virgin at a prison rodeo in this thread, but I opened and laughed at this as I love this movie.  

I'm going to start using the term virgin at a prison rodeo, and I don't care if it's cultural misappropriation.  Where the fuck have I been in this sheltered life that I've never heard this saying?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

Bunch of assholes on this thread.  How about a little empathy for the disappointment Pancho, js1 and Hugo experienced when the "lynching of a black man" was confirmed as a "suicide by a white/Hispanic man"?

Username checks out ...

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

They are only providing a product that there is demand for.

Social media hot take artists and journalists reporting breaking stories irresponsibly are not the disease; they are the symptom. We are the disease. If there was not a market for that kind of thing, they wouldn't exist.

No.  Many lie. On purpose. 

The twitter dude posted not in the OP but by the OP several posts down is blocking people correcting him.  He didn't make a mistake, he wants to mislead people.  It's very purposeful.  He's much more part the disease than Pancho, who made a simple mistake and with a slight delay admitted it.

'Holding them responsible" can only happen if they want to be responsible to begin with.

They are an enemy of the people.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

100000000000000%

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

No.  Many lie. On purpose. 

The twitter dude posted not in the OP but by the OP several posts down is blocking people correcting him.  He didn't make a mistake, he wants to mislead people.  It's very purposeful.  He's much more part the disease than Pancho, who made a simple mistake and with a slight delay admitted it.

'Holding them responsible" can only happen if they want to be responsible to begin with.

Well, that's a whole different ballgame. But again, every performer needs an audience. 

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

I never said lynching.  I said hanging. 

I responding to lynchings when others mentioned it in the thread.  Yet you blamed me for being racist for this thread and calling this a lynching. My thread title and very first post did not say lynching at all.  So it’s not clear why you think and where you’re getting I called this an “automatic lynching.”

C'mon man, you might have said hanging, but you're for damn sure inferring a lynching.  Semantics... how do they work ?  

You've jumped to a somewhat NOT illogical conclusion with the 2 CA. incidents, but how about waiting for some actual evidence before before fanning the flames. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fuck all of you in this fucking thread. I just got finished admonishing some moron on FB for jumping to conclusions without evidence, and then I have to come here and watch this shit play out over 4 pages from a bunch of people who are supposed to be smarter than the average FB rube. 

Pancho fucked up, but I’ll be goddamn if he didnt come back and own it, unlike other posters. He jumped to dangerous conclusions at a very dangerous time in America. And he didn’t verify facts. That sucks.

Meanwhile the rest of you pile jumping fuckfaces are too busy flipping the bat as you trot repeatedly around the bases to show any kind of empathy and understanding as to why the guy is sensitive and prone to jumping to the worst fucking conclusions right now in America.  Posting for patience and caution to wait for more details is absolutely the right thing to do. Doing it in the most hateful, caustic John Lawrence et al manner was unnecessary and just fucking shitty. Fuck you guys too. This could have been a good learning moment for everyone but instead you’ve just been being inhuman shits who are concerned more with being right than being helpful again shows the worst tendencies we all have on whatever political spectrum you lie upon. Fuck everyone in this fucking thread. 

do better cocksuckers. If you don’t there won’t be anything left of this country for anyone on either side. By the way it sucks that a mentally ill hispanic man might have hung himself. Not that anyone here gives a fuck about that anymore. 

Bravo

The thing that bothers me (bolded part), is that a great many people don't seem to realize how dangerous things are right now.  At a time when we should be most careful and discretionary in our words and actions, and patient for all the facts to come in, we're running around like a 9 year old with diarrhea and no bathroom.  Just full of panic spraying shit everywhere.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

How much grace is shown to conservative posters in these forums?

That doesn't matter.  Show grace and be at peace.  The "other side," be it the right or the left, will never change.  Why worry about it and get dragged into the mire?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Bravo

The thing that bothers me (bolded part), is that a great many people don't seem to realize how dangerous things are right now.  At a time when we should be most careful and discretionary in our words and actions, and patient for all the facts to come in, we're running around like a 9 year old with diarrhea and no bathroom.  Just full of panic spraying shit everywhere.

Yep, both to your post and Sydney's.

A good rule of thumb is that if a story particularly resonates with the viewpoint you're most sympathetic to, PARTICULARLY if that story is high on the inflammatory scale (examples from opposite ends of the spectrum: 1) another lynching! and 2) Antifa has set up a militarized "no-go" zone in Seattle!).....take a breath, and dig in to the facts, including specifically SEEKING OUT sources and information that would be contrary to your sympathetic position.  In other words, look for facts and reasons why this may NOT be true.  If you do that search...and do NOT find any refutation, then, it's serious shit.

A good example of that is the initial stories on the George Floyd murder.  First came the stories and video, which were inflammatory as hell.  So, take a breath....and see what else you can find out about the encounter.....and.....holy shit, it's actually about as bad as it looks and appeared at first.  Another way to do this is simply to wait until the story is processed by outfits that do a good job of fact-checking and not just jumping on a story: if the Economist writes a piece about it, you can read it and be confident that they didn't bite on a single inflammatory tweet.

Posting and re-tweeting stories "reported" by people with an obvious agenda (and there are plenty on "both sides"), WITHOUT fact-checking or digging in, is not just foolish, it's harmful to the social dialogue and our strength as a country.  And it's easy to do in tense times with fast-moving facts and stories.  But take a breath....wait even a couple of hours, and we often find out the facts that get us much closer to the complete story.

• Like 5