The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It was a crime scene and should’ve been treated as such. No congress members or staff should have been touching anything. Bring in the FBI to process the scene. Photograph everything, collect and catalog every piece of evidence to aid in the criminal prosecution of Trump’s goons who attempted to overthrow democracy. 

Probably not realistic to think that could happen. But it seems like that’s what should’ve happened. 

It certainly should have been a crime scene, but it wasn't. The second the cops let Congress back in, it ceased being a crime scene. For fuck's sake, imagine a single piece of evidence being brought to court after the way everyone was let back in in an uncontrolled manner. Imagine how many objections there would be. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Oh shit, I had forgotten that dotard had promised a bunch of new evidence that he was supposedly going to take to Congress on Jan. 6. Guess he must have forgotten. 

Well, it was a pretty crazy day so I understand if it just slipped his mind. I'm sure he'll reveal the new evidence in two weeks.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s weirdly stated. Are they saying he didn’t vote in 2008, 20012, or 2016? He turned 18 in 2002, voted in his first Presidential election in 2004, and then never voted again until voting to re-elect Trump in 2020? I can believe that. It’s just a weird use of “both” to describe an arbitrary pair out of a set of five. Kudos to him, though. His entire voting record has been dedicated to re-electing the two worst Presidents in history. 

If it was only 2004 and 2020, I could completely picture that. Wasn't that the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (which it wasn't) election cycle? And then now, we have disinformation coming from all angles. He's a susceptible psyche to that if I had to speculate, and it wouldn't be a stretch. Swift Boat played on that 'patriot' angle and it worked quite well given the three years previous.

If he voted in the other elections, then I'm even more off, but that is what struck me by your post if it is those two years.

• Like 1

Doesn’t our capital building have fucking camera around the perimeter and at the entrances if it? shouldn't they identify everyone of these VanillaISIS fucks who were all there? I know we have face recognition softwares everywhere     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Long before that. Like immediately after the place was cleared of insurgents. 

And immediately afterwards Congress was let back in without any other controls. At that point, do you think there was literally any evidentiary value left in the crime scene? Any conceivable situation where anything wouldn't be spoiled in court? Even if nobody in Congress picks something up, can it be shown that the chain of custody is clear?

"Well your honor, it is true that someone might have brought this in from the outside, or someone might have touched this, but we didn't see anyone do it so are super sure it is cool to enter into court". 

Anyone casting any aspersions, criticism, or blame on anyone in Congress for helping to clean is looking for something to criticize. Crime scenes aren't crime scenes once non-police are waling around willy-nilly. 

I've remitted myself from comment on this.
I don't require or want "upvotes" for this comment.
This open insurrection against a Constitutionally mandated process is not acceptable. The actions of donald trump and this mob are treasonous. The Constitution is very clear about how to respond to treason and what methods shall be taken.
I am one of the many Veterans that post on this board, or the old board, or the one before that. I swore and oath to the United States Constitution. I may no longer wear the uniform; however, I will always honor my oath. This will not stand. As long as I am able to exhale, I will defend the Constitution of this nation.

Thank you for this. And yes. It really is this simple. We have a rule of law and a legal process for handling political disagreement. When you go outside that, you are acting in opposition to the constitution and rule of law. You are aiming at our entire nation....so you best not miss.

And as for the president’s moronic “repeal 230!” Stance.....it perfectly captures his abject stupidity.

Repealing 230 would require platforms to strictly moderate content because they could be held liable for what is posted. So...in other words...he is demanding that the law be changed to REQUIRE Twitter to do what it just did - de platform terrorists. He is SO. FUCKING. STUPID.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Repealing 230 would require platforms to strictly moderate content because they could be held liable for what is posted. So...in other words...he is demanding that the law be changed to REQUIRE Twitter to do what it just did - de platform terrorists. He is SO. FUCKING. STUPID.

Remember when he wanted to shut down twitter to protect Freedom of Speech?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

And immediately afterwards Congress was let back in without any other controls. At that point, do you think there was literally any evidentiary value left in the crime scene? Any conceivable situation where anything wouldn't be spoiled in court? Even if nobody in Congress picks something up, can it be shown that the chain of custody is clear?

"Well your honor, it is true that someone might have brought this in from the outside, or someone might have touched this, but we didn't see anyone do it so are super sure it is cool to enter into court". 

Anyone casting any aspersions, criticism, or blame on anyone in Congress for helping to clean is looking for something to criticize. Crime scenes aren't crime scenes once non-police are waling around willy-nilly. 

I’m not saying they didn’t say, “Ah, fuck it.”  I’m saying they shouldn’t have. 

43 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

It certainly should have been a crime scene, but it wasn't. The second the cops let Congress back in, it ceased being a crime scene. For fuck's sake, imagine a single piece of evidence being brought to court after the way everyone was let back in in an uncontrolled manner. Imagine how many objections there would be. 

I think the urgency of getting Congress back to performing their duties in a perfunctory manner outweighed the crime scene/investigation priority by a long shot. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 4

Had a friend tell me he was concerned that the bans would push the speech deeper underground where it would radicalize people and strengthen walls between information silos. 

I’m having forebodings of angry mobs storming capitols and state houses, hatching plots to kidnap and kill elected officials, and murdering police officers.  A world where people consume a steady stream of easily disproven propaganda and become almost religiously attached to its purveyors. 

Truly frightening to contemplate. 

It will drive the extra hardcore folks to deep web type sites.

But the majority of those idiots - the Karens with their private jets and Bubbas from my neck of the woods - ain’t got the know how to find those areas of the internet.

98% of that mob got radicalized through Facebook and Twitter and YouTube and by each other. They’re not savvy enough to use TOR or whatever else.

Taking away their ability to congregate to rile each other up will go a long way.
  • Hook 'Em 4

More Americans self-identify as conservative than as liberal. As recently as fall 2018, Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of congress. You would have to conclude from all of this that there are a bunch of conservative Americans, it's probably a majority of the population. It almost certainly is a majority here in Texas. 

Think about how many conservatives there must be on this site. Where are they? You know. On Surly only liberal views are tolerated. If any conservative views are espoused, they are met with immediate hostility and scorn. These folks are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. I have to congratulate the Democratic/Liberal branch of the political world, you win the debate by default, you have completely silenced the other side. And you seem to like it that way. But why would you want to be in an echo chamber? If your arguments are sound, why not engage and convince people? These folks are your neighbors, your family, they are Longhorn fans. 

There are morons on both sides. You have the Goat Boy with painted face and horns storming the capital. You have hoodlums rioting and looting Kmarts under the pretext of protesting police brutality. Right now these are the only people getting our attention and controlling the conversation. 

Predictably, the capital siege is being used to further silence people. Along with the censoring of people on Facebook and Twitter, Google has just cut access to an alternative app called Parler, Apple may follow suit. It will not happen, but there are even calls to have Fox News dropped from cable providers. That would be cheered by a lot of you, but is this really what you want? Many conservative Americans already feel that their voices have been stifled by Political Correctness, and now it looks to them like they are being completely silenced. This is frightening to people, and people do crazy stuff when they are frightened. If a large portion of the population starts to feel that they cannot get a response from their government by voting, or that they are not going to even be able to express their views, what might they resort to? What would you do if every outlet for liberal views was shut down?

These millions of conservative Americans are not going anywhere. You can silence them, you have proven that, but you can't make them disappear.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 18
  • Drool 2

34 minutes ago, Foosters said:

@TwiceHorn is there a federal burglary statute? 

I'm slightly perplexed after spending my entire legal career reading about the Draconian federal sentencing schemes only to see my black and brown clients facing more exposure for commercial burglary when there are no victims.

Sure is.  A whole series of them. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-103

18 USC 2112 seems applicable.

Whoever robs or attempts to rob another of any kind or description of personal property belonging to the United States, shall be imprisoned not more than fifteen years.

There would appear to be a raft of things people could be charged with, from this piddly unlawful entry thing up to seditious conspiracy (20 max).

Also worth noting that current charging policy of the DOJ (applicable to browns and theoretically across the board) requires that USAs charge the stiffest crimes supported by the facts/evidence.  https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/965896/download

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any word about additional prep for future attacks around Inauguration Day?  I know the capitol Chief resigned, but how are they going to prevent a follow up?
There needs to be a lot more fortifications and personnel with military grade hardware to ensure Biden and Harris are kept safe.

There will be additional attacks. They will be more successful than they should be because law enforcement and the SS are compromised.

This is a real thing. There is a fifth column within law enforcement that supports violence against the state. Agree with the post below.

Biden addressed this  couple of days ago.  The inauguration will be run by Secret Service", not Capitol police. 

* That group could use a purge, as well.

Had a friend tell me he was concerned that the bans would push the speech deeper underground where it would radicalize people and strengthen walls between information silos. 

I’m having forebodings of angry mobs storming capitols and state houses, hatching plots to kidnap and kill elected officials, and murdering police officers.  A world where people consume a steady stream of easily disproven propaganda and become almost religiously attached to its purveyors. 

Truly frightening to contemplate. 

Foreboding? That’s already happened. It will continue to happen. That’s how stochastic terrorist movements work.

There always has been and there always will be a lunatic fringe. They don’t need the Internet (see the Know Nothings of the mid 19th century, the Q Anon of their time). But I have to believe it will help tremendously when the ultimate source is no longer the actual sitting President of the United States with a Twitter bullhorn.

Correct. You can’t put the fire out, but you can reduce its intensity.

There needs to be a display of this act of fuckery in the Smithsonian. We cannot act like it never happened. 

100% this. We need to remember our national shame. Problem is, MAGAs will show up and masturbate joyfully I’m front of it.

That’s a moving read Fran, thanks for posting. But part of me was thinking “Isn’t it a crime scene? Should he have been cleaning up evidence like body armor?”

Except the majority of the cops didn't seem to interested in doing anything about the insurrection before during or after said insurrection.
Not exactly working in shifts..

These. It would have been a crime scene...if law enforcement wasn’t collaborating with the terrorists. This is a huge, huge problem.

Man pictured carrying Pelosi's lectern during Capitol riot is arrested
Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida, was arrested Friday night is being held on a federal warrant, jail records show.

210106-capitol-protest-ew-332p_daa09f36a

Adam Johnson, 36, of Parrish, Florida was arrested Friday around 9 p.m. and is being held on a federal warrant, jail records from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office show.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here's the problem with everything you just typed:

Those folks that gathered in DC on Wednesday?  They are not conservatives.  Furthermore, the folks being silenced on Twitter, etc?  They are not conservatives either.

I don't see Mitt Romney's Twitter account being shut down.  Or Mitch McConnell's.  Or even Ted Cruz's.  And those three aren't liberals at all. 

What I do see are people who are hell bent on breaking things.  I don't call that conservatism.  

As a sort-of conservative, this is technically true.  Trump and his followers are really non-ideological.

The GOP, by its gross failure to restrain and separate itself from Trump has lost any ability to rely on that technicality.

And that's separate and apart from the illegitimacy of the GOP laying claim to conservatism.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Loather said:

More Americans self-identify as conservative than as liberal. As recently as fall 2018, Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of congress. You would have to conclude from all of this that there are a bunch of conservative Americans, it's probably a majority of the population. It almost certainly is a majority here in Texas. 

Think about how many conservatives there must be on this site. Where are they? You know. On Surly only liberal views are tolerated. If any conservative views are espoused, they are met with immediate hostility and scorn. These folks are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. I have to congratulate the Democratic/Liberal branch of the political world, you win the debate by default, you have completely silenced the other side. And you seem to like it that way. But why would you want to be in an echo chamber? If your arguments are sound, why not engage and convince people? These folks are your neighbors, your family, they are Longhorn fans. 

There are morons on both sides. You have the Goat Boy with painted face and horns storming the capital. You have hoodlums rioting and looting Kmarts under the pretext of protesting police brutality. Right now these are the only people getting our attention and controlling the conversation. 

Predictably, the capital siege is being used to further silence people. Along with the censoring of people on Facebook and Twitter, Google has just cut access to an alternative app called Parler, Apple may follow suit. It will not happen, but there are even calls to have Fox News dropped from cable providers. That would be cheered by a lot of you, but is this really what you want? Many conservative Americans already feel that their voices have been stifled by Political Correctness, and now it looks to them like they are being completely silenced. This is frightening to people, and people do crazy stuff when they are frightened. If a large portion of the population starts to feel that they cannot get a response from their government by voting, or that they are not going to even be able to express their views, what might they resort to? What would you do if every outlet for liberal views was shut down?

These millions of conservative Americans are not going anywhere. You can silence them, you have proven that, but you can't make them disappear.

image.gif.5253684234e7cd4bafcbfbb1bce051b1.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

It will drive the extra hardcore folks to deep web type sites.

But the majority of those idiots - the Karens with their private jets and Bubbas from my neck of the woods - ain’t got the know how to find those areas of the internet.

98% of that mob got radicalized through Facebook and Twitter and YouTube and by each other. They’re not savvy enough to use TOR or whatever else.

Taking away their ability to congregate to rile each other up will go a long way.

Yes, they honestly feel that they are the majority opinion right now. And it’s because they can find as many people as they would like that are like minded at this point.  And dissenting opinions don’t frequent the same haunts, so their exposure is very silo’d. They refer to themselves as the silent majority when they are neither. Make it more difficult for them to connect to each other, and those feelings dissipate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh look. Tahoe’s back.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Loather said:

You're an idiot. We have asked the people you call conservatives (hint: they're not actually conservative) to speak up on this forum but they ran away because they're cowards. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There will be additional attacks. They will be more successful than they should be because law enforcement and the SS are compromised.

This is a real thing. There is a fifth column within law enforcement that supports violence against the state. Agree with the post below.

Foreboding? That’s already happened. It will continue to happen. That’s how stochastic terrorist movements work.

Correct. You can’t put the fire out, but you can reduce its intensity.

100% this. We need to remember our national shame. Problem is, MAGAs will show up and masturbate joyfully I’m front of it.

These. It would have been a crime scene...if law enforcement wasn’t collaborating with the terrorists. This is a huge, huge problem.

Christopher Reeve Meme GIF

8 minutes ago, longhornsftmfw said:

Conservatives aren’t being silenced. Nobody on Twitter debating small government or fiscal conservatism is being banned. Extremists who are pledging violence because they lost are.

Bingo, I'm not some liberal here.  I'm basically a pretty conservative guy (be fiscally sound, stay out of people's lives) and if you think that dumbasses like Trump, Cruz, Hawley etc who are trying to weaponize the government and the people of this country rather than keep it small and in check like a true conservative would want are actually "conservative" I don't know what to tell you (there is a whole other conversation to be had about how the GOP ceased to be conservative a long time ago but that's for another time) 

But to the quoted point no civil conservative discourse is being silenced, even Parler isn't being told "they are out" they are being given an opportunity to clean up the parts of their platform where people are openly talking about revolt against the United State of America.   These types of threats and saber rattling discourse must be cut off at the head, then we can get back to discourse on policy, or whatever the hell else wonky shit folks want to talk about. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Here's the problem with everything you just typed:
Those folks that gathered in DC on Wednesday?  They are not conservatives.  Furthermore, the folks being silenced on Twitter, etc?  They are not conservatives either.
I don't see Mitt Romney's Twitter account being shut down.  Or Mitch McConnell's.  Or even Ted Cruz's.  And those three aren't liberals at all. 
What I do see are people who are hell bent on breaking things.  I don't call that conservatism.  

And....fucking this.

The bar is low. Don’t disseminate insane proven lies, and don’t support the violent overthrow of the government. If those restrictions are unacceptable to you, then YOU are the fucking problem.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ok, so let me be clear on this

Trump and Ted Cruz should be silenced. But Mitt Romney is ok, at least for now. Got it. You guys must be really wise to discern who warrants censorship and who is safe. I absolutely trust your call on this. Better yet, lets just let an anonymous bureaucrat somewhere decide. Nothing could go wrong with that. 

• Fuck You 25