Mentally unstable radical Republican? Oh you mean Marjorie!

Pancho

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The sooner the rest of y'all understand the truth of this -- and what it says about the GOP -- the better.

Understanding the nature, and breadth, of the threat is essential to have any chance to stop it.

It’s helpful to think of the current GOP as analogous to some super-reactionary Islamist party in a Middle Eastern or South Asian country with a “moderate” and “militant wing.” Leadership tilted more to moderate but with the militants having growing popularity with the base and so the moderates end up in thrall to them.

Like all analogies, imperfect...but helpful.

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s helpful to think of the current GOP as analogous to some super-reactionary Islamist party in a Middle Eastern or South Asian country with a “moderate” and “militant wing.” Leadership tilted more to moderate but with the militants having growing popularity with the base and so the moderates end up in thrall to them.

Like all analogies, imperfect...but helpful.

That's actually a really good one.

Those of us who have been versed on the issue for decades remember well the use of the term "islamofascism" to describe that sort of movement.  The "fascist" element of it is actually material.  And it's what we're seeing here at home.  The current GOP and various islamofascist movements have a scary degree of similarity.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Those of us who have been versed on the issue for decades remember well the use of the term "islamofascism" to describe that sort of movement.  The "fascist" element of it is actually material.  And it's what we're seeing here at home.  The current GOP and various islamofascist movements have a scary degree of similarity.

The other thing with those groups you have to remember— they all are going the same place, they just have different road maps to get there. “We completely reject violence and non-democratic methods to accomplish our legitimate political aims (Sotto voce of closing down all the girls’ schools and executing people for blasphemy).

These groups are really good at obfuscation for Westerners and the GOP is starting to learn this trick. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is stupid.  She doesn't need to apologize or feel guilty.  She should own it.  It's a badge of honor to the base.  Run with it.

I mean more in the legal sense..for example, fleeing from a crime scene can be introduced as evidence that you know you're guilty. She isn't crazy enough not to realize right from wrong. She knows this shit is coming down on her so she scrubs it. Shows that on some level, she knows better and is just fucking evil rather than completely out of her mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

It requires 2/3 of the members to vote in favor for her to be expelled. So basically, zero chance in fucking hell, right? I mean, if Mitch hasn't shown signs of trying to clean up the party with Trump bullshit, have to think this isn't going to move the needle either. So again, this won't do anything, correct? Unless the house votes to change procedures (if it can) to lower the threshold from 2/3.

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nothing is going to happen to Trump or any members of congress because only a handful of Republicans can be counted on to do the right thing.  The Dems don't have enough votes for justice.

That's about the size of it.  But they still have to try. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Her D.C. office actually picked up the phone just now.  I told her staffer that my sister with Down's Syndrome watched the Congresswoman's comments on the border wall funding model and my sister was really inspired (I said this totally deadpan with my radio voice) that somebody else, who like her also has Down's Syndrome, could make it all the way to Congress.  "My sister and I are just so proud of Representative Greene for serving as inspiration to everyone else out there with mental retardation, tell her to keep up the good fight and we'll keep cheering her on!"  You could feel the confused tension through the phone.  I'm guessing the point of the call will be lost on the whole office.  

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nothing is going to happen to Trump or any members of congress because only a handful of Republicans can be counted on to do the right thing.  The Dems don't have enough votes for justice.

This is where I get to the Ledge.  I don't see a way out of this.  The Rs are hellbent on staying in power and ignoring justice.  Their voters sure as hell aren't going to vote them out.  How do we fix this?  I don't think it's fixable.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Her D.C. office actually picked up the phone just now.  I told her staffer that my sister with Down's Syndrome watched the Congresswoman's comments on the border wall funding model and my sister was really inspired (I said this totally deadpan with my radio voice) that somebody else, who like her also has Down's Syndrome, could make it all the way to Congress.  "My sister and I are just so proud of Representative Greene for serving as inspiration to everyone else out there with mental retardation, tell her to keep up the good fight and we'll keep cheering her on!"  You could feel the confused tension through the phone.  I'm guessing the point of the call will be lost on the whole office.  

....unless we ALL do it.

Go ahead, it's the 202-225-5211 number.  Mailbox still has room and staffers still pick it up when available.  Identify yourself as a sibling advocate of those with Down's Syndrome (in my case, it's actually true-but I don't give a shit if we run a bad joke too far).  You have to keep the intimation that Rep. Greene also has it, but either way she's an inspiration to the community.  Just don't flat out call her retarded, you gotta be subtle.  You know...like an asshole.  I think I'm gonna write a hard copy letter to the same effect this weekend just for cathartic release.  The chef's kiss is to have a bold baritone-bass voice like mine and then at the end of the call, sound a little choked up like and go up with vocal fry, "I need a minute, but just thank Representative Greene for what she's shown my sister is possible."  

20 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I dunno, if I'm the democratic congress, I think I'd figure out a way to give her as much floor time as possible. Yield your debate time to her and let her talk about Q Anon. Make the party own her. Make her the face of the party. Don't ask Congress to expel her, call for the Republican Party to expel her from the party. When they don't, explain how that is a tacit endorsement of everything she says and does. 

I don't know if I go that far, but paint the whole Republican party as crazy as the craziest one out there.  The Democrats have been doing that to themselves for a while with some of the far left or incompetent congress people in that party so turn it around and start branding the "idiot right" or "radical right" or whatever but get on the same page with the same talking points and roll Boebert, MTG, Cruz, Hawley, Cotton, Gaetz, et al all up in that group.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nahh...

image.jpeg.ab16e62ba406a269a6122a0ab8fa707b.jpeg

image.jpeg.91844981e6d4784271ca1b6dfe38a639.jpeg

Isis attack widow sues Twitter for the group's 'explosive growth' | The Drum

image.jpeg.714748b9b4eb177505879f81fba5a28b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

She’s legitimately disgusting.

the "leaders" of the GOP House - Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, Devin Nunes, Kevin McCarthy - think they're most important job is to troll Democrats.  that's it.  nothing more, nothing less.  just troll.  putting MAGA Marjorie on the Education committee accomplishes that.  the GOP will lots of lulz from their sycophants on Twitter.  mission accomplished.

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

I really hope I find a nice country to move to when Hawley becomes President and Greene is his Vice President.  Maybe a place in Vancouver and then a winter home in Belize or Costa Rica.  The dumb in this country ain't going away anytime soon.  I predict it will actually get worse.

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Nahh...

image.jpeg.ab16e62ba406a269a6122a0ab8fa707b.jpeg

image.jpeg.91844981e6d4784271ca1b6dfe38a639.jpeg

Isis attack widow sues Twitter for the group's 'explosive growth' | The Drum

image.jpeg.714748b9b4eb177505879f81fba5a28b.jpeg

Given the similarity of the imagery between Trump supporters and ISIS I think really the only way to tell them apart is to get them on the monkey bars. ISIS can make it all the way across but I'd say about 90% of trumpers make it to the second rung and fall right down.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I really hope I find a nice country to move to when Hawley becomes President and Greene is his Vice President.  Maybe a place in Vancouver and then a winter home in Belize or Costa Rica.  The dumb in this country ain't going away anytime soon.  I predict it will actually get worse.

Winters in Vancouver are very mild.  Average temp in the 40s.  Little snow.

https://www.axios.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-qanon-2621093b-13f1-491d-8256-366436171793.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiossneakpeek&stream=top

During previously unreported meetings last summer, House Republican leaders discussed — but then largely set aside — fears that QAnon-supporting conspiracy theorist Marjorie Taylor Greene would end up a flaming trainwreck for their party.

Why it matters: Greene has emerged not just as an embarrassment but a challenge for the GOP, with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy now forced to weigh whether to maintain his policy of sanctioning members who make dangerous statements.

In a series of conversations described to Axios by sources with direct knowledge of their contents, former Rep. Mark Walker was especially vocal about the "crazy" Greene. Reps. Liz Cheney and Steve Scalise also spoke up. But McCarthy and others ultimately did little to stop her.

A spokesperson for Greene did not respond to a call or email from Axios.

Behind the scenes: John Cowan, Greene's opponent in August's primary runoff for Georgia's 14th District seat, recalls separate conversations he had with McCarthy and Scalise, the House GOP whip, in which both men acknowledged Greene was a serious problem for the party.

Spoiler

Cowan detailed a phone conversation he had with McCarthy in July, during which he warned him about wild opposition research they had against Greene.

"I said, 'She's bad for the party,'" Cowan told Axios during a 30-minute interview Thursday. "I said she has real problems and does not represent, at least what I think of as, someone who would be allowed even in a big-tented party. I mean, at some point, you have to say, 'No shoes, no shirt, no service.'"

While both McCarthy and Scalise condemned Greene, and Scalise endorsed and raised money for and donated to Cowan, it wasn't enough to overcome the vocal support for Greene from Trump's then-chief of staff Mark Meadows.

The backing of Meadows, his wife, Debbie, and Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio was so strong that Cowan never had a real shot against Greene, he said.

"The House Freedom Caucus put their fingers on the scale in a big way," said Cowan, a neurosurgeon. "By default it was sort of, 'She must be Trump's person.' If those guys are going to bat for her, she must be Trump’s endorsed person.”

Greene also came up repeatedly during McCarthy's leadership meetings last summer, a source with direct knowledge told Axios.

Scalise, Cheney and Walker gathered for the weekly meeting in the conference room of McCarthy's office in the Capitol and plotted how they should deal with her.

Walker, now running for North Carolina's open Senate seat in 2022, strenuously argued they needed to do more to stop this "crazy" woman who threatened to bring down the party, according to a source with direct knowledge.

Cheney (R-Wyo.) also spoke up aggressively in these meetings about the danger of having Greene in the party.

Scalise (R-La.) and McCarthy (R-Calif.) ended up putting out statements condemning her, yet McCarthy didn't do much beyond that once it was clear she was going to win the race by a healthy margin.

The bottom line: "Everybody was well aware of her previous persona and who she is. I would say they all knew she was going to be a problem," Cowan told Axios.

"Maybe they just assumed that the awe of winning an election would calm her down a little bit, and so she would actually be interested in governing and he interested in policy, and she's just clearly not. She is literally there for a stage production."

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Winters in Vancouver are very mild.  Average temp in the 40s.  Little snow.

My understanding is citizenship to Canada is actually very difficult, time consuming, and flat out expensive. You have to cut a check to buy into their healthcare system. Canada is not on my list, I’m not wealthy enough to sniff citizenship there. Hope someone here tells me I’m flat out wrong. 

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

So she's using a fictional character from a book written thousands of years ago by goat herders to kinda almost support her position to own the intellectual elitist libs.  And the whole Deep South goes, "Mmm hmm, that's right," and goes back to shooting its arsenal of automatic weapons at cutouts of The Squad.

We're so fucked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Jesus.  His brother was a doctor on a first responder team at 9/11 Ground Zero and died of related pancreatic cancer just 4 months before Parkland. 

I don't even know how one could process that level of loss in such a short period of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus.  His brother was a doctor on a first responder team at 9/11 Ground Zero and died of related pancreatic cancer just 4 months before Parkland. 
I don't even know how one could process that level of loss in such a short period of time.

The cool thing is that he didn’t have to, because it was all a hoax!

Go ahead, it's the 202-225-5211 number.  Mailbox still has room and staffers still pick it up when available.  Identify yourself as a sibling advocate of those with Down's Syndrome (in my case, it's actually true-but I don't give a shit if we run a bad joke too far).  You have to keep the intimation that Rep. Greene also has it, but either way she's an inspiration to the community.  Just don't flat out call her retarded, you gotta be subtle.  You know...like an asshole.  I think I'm gonna write a hard copy letter to the same effect this weekend just for cathartic release.  The chef's kiss is to have a bold baritone-bass voice like mine and then at the end of the call, sound a little choked up like and go up with vocal fry, "I need a minute, but just thank Representative Greene for what she's shown my sister is possible."  
My favorite part will be when the staffer tries to explain that Greene didn't have Downs Syndrome, and you have to react surprised... "What? No... I could have sworn... but... she's so..."