ERCOT, PUC, and deregulation got us here

cactusflinthead

This isn't ideal, but it's a blip in the radar. If it's not, we're really in trouble. Typically it takes days and days of oppressive heat to get to the point of not meeting demand, because it requires days of the concrete not cooling down enough overnight and temperatures and thus demand snowballing. Think back in 2012 when we had those record setting days over 100 degrees. This is only happening because plants are down, which is a different kind of problem, and should be very temporary. If the grid suddenly can't handle a mid 90's day in June, despite it doing so every single year for the last 10 years, yeah, we're two months away from living in Thunderdome. We shouldn't have anything to worry about until July. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

If I lose power when its 105 out ill drop my sweaty taint right in abbots paralyzed lap.

I'm not sure what good that is going to do, he won't feel a thing even if you've got fucking bowling balls down there. 

Why don't you just slap his face with them instead?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This isn't ideal, but it's a blip in the radar. If it's not, we're really in trouble. Typically it takes days and days of oppressive heat to get to the point of not meeting demand, because it requires days of the concrete not cooling down enough overnight and temperatures and thus demand snowballing. Think back in 2012 when we had those record setting days over 100 degrees. This is only happening because plants are down, which is a different kind of problem, and should be very temporary. If the grid suddenly can't handle a mid 90's day in June, despite it doing so every single year for the last 10 years, yeah, we're two months away from living in Thunderdome. We shouldn't have anything to worry about until July. 

I want to know why so many plants are down in mother f-ing June.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

No clue. But if it's true a nuclear plan is down for whatever reason, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and give folks the benefit of the doubt for taking it offline.

I can comfortably say plants aren't down because natural gas lines froze. So there's that. But bringing more backup plants online for a mid 90's day wouldn't be normal, so it makes sense if plants are down  there isn't anything to replace it with. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This isn't ideal, but it's a blip in the radar. If it's not, we're really in trouble. Typically it takes days and days of oppressive heat to get to the point of not meeting demand, because it requires days of the concrete not cooling down enough overnight and temperatures and thus demand snowballing. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If I were George Soros and wanted to drive Republicans out of office in Texas, knocking power offline for a shitload of people during the worst winter storm in our lifetimes, followed by fuckery in June, not August, motherfucking June, would be a good way to do it.

Especially after Abbott guaranteed that everything's been fixed.

25 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here in North Carolina. I can't decide whether I should wear a polo, or just a regular t-shirt. Comfortable mild weather like this makes it so hard to choose sometimes.

Yup, I tend to go t-shirt in these situations. In Colorado it is a bit warmer than normal as it is getting up to the 90s but dipping into the 50s at night. T-shirt really comes through in all situations imo.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No clue. But if it's true a nuclear plan is down for whatever reason, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and give folks the benefit of the doubt for taking it offline.

I can comfortably say plants aren't down because natural gas lines froze. So there's that. But bringing more backup plants online for a mid 90's day wouldn't be normal, so it makes sense if plants are down  there isn't anything to replace it with. 

ERCOT is doing a thorough analysis. I'm sure it's perfectly understandable since there's no one to tell them No when they decide to do something contrary to the overall good of the system.

Seriously, do they not have someone capable of seeing a problem with multiple producers going offline at once?

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

ERCOT is doing a thorough analysis. I'm sure it's perfectly understandable since there's no one to tell them No when they decide to do something contrary to the overall good of the system.

Seriously, do they not have someone capable of seeing a problem with multiple producers going offline at once?

I mean. No one is going expects the Spanish Inquisition. 

At what point does Cruz come out to blame the Green New Deal and Abbott tell Texans that the citizens of the state should have no reasonable expectations of AC/heat or electricity anymore during extreme cold or heat? 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here in North Carolina. I can't decide whether I should wear a polo, or just a regular t-shirt. Comfortable mild weather like this makes it so hard to choose sometimes.

Fuck You

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Guys, it's never been 95 degrees in Texas before.  This is an unprecedented heat wave.

It’s a 100 year heat wave! Can’t argue with Mother Nature! Only 50, I mean 150, I mean 950 people died!

Told y’all. Nothing will change until the republicans are finally voted out of office and this failed privatization experiment ends. At least I’ll be able to get out of my driveway this time and no busted frozen pipe.