College Football Power Index 2021 (ESPN snorting drain cleaner)

Nueces River Rat

15 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Haha, holy shit. What could possibly be the justification for Miss State at 9th? They needed a 2 point win against Tulsa to get to 4 wins last season. 

Outrage clicks from fans of all the blueblood schools they put behind them.

18 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Haha, holy shit. What could possibly be the justification for Miss State at 9th? They needed a 2 point win against Tulsa to get to 4 wins last season. 

Do you even SEC, bro?  3 SECSEC conference wins is equal to like 14 BDF wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll believe that Iowa State shit when I see it.  

Don’t worry, we’ll fuck around with Northern Iowa, lose to Iowa on a fluke and fuck the Big 12 up for someone who still had a playoff spot.

We do return 20/22 starters from a team that finished in the Top 10. That’s why this ranking is so high
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Don’t worry, we’ll fuck around with Northern Iowa, lose to Iowa on a fluke

Yeah it'd be great if you guys could go ahead and stop doing that. 

I don't think ISU at 4 is that outrageous. They return everybody. Top 10 minimum and will probably finish top 3 in the conference.

Texas Tech and Miss. State are definitely the weirdest. At least the latter has Leach and I think they brought in a big time QB recruit, but they really shouldn't be inside the top 15.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2021 at 3:04 PM, UncleSonny said:

ESPN, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new ranking system sucks!

General-Beringer-Commander-of-NORAD-in-WarGames.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah it'd be great if you guys could go ahead and stop doing that. 
I don't think ISU at 4 is that outrageous. They return everybody. Top 10 minimum and will probably finish top 3 in the conference.
Texas Tech and Miss. State are definitely the weirdest. At least the latter has Leach and I think they brought in a big time QB recruit, but they really shouldn't be inside the top 15.

If you think it irritates you, imagine how sick of it we are.

If you just remove the name and say a “top 10 team from last year returns 20 starters including the 1st team all conference QB and RB, where would you rank them?” a lot of people would find Top 5 reasonable. It’s the fact that it happens to be a historically bad program that throws folks.

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you think it irritates you, imagine how sick of it we are.

If you just remove the name and say a “top 10 team from last year returns 20 starters including the 1st team all conference QB and RB, where would you rank them?” a lot of people would find Top 5 reasonable. It’s the fact that it happens to be a historically bad program that throws folks.

Maybe. For me, it's what the other guys were saying. I watch, and I mean watch the games - including the boring ass Northern Iowa type games, Iowa State every year in the early part of the season do whatever they can to pull the bookshelf on top of themselves. It's gotten almost comical and mildly infuriating, like a lighter version for me of Texas doing the same shit. So while I can understand the logic of ISU being in the top 5, I'm not going to believe that they can make it out of September undefeated until I see it.

Iowa opens against Indiana. Indiana lost their best player, but Allen is a good coach and I expect that to be a slog, so maybe you inherit Iowa a little dinged-up. Of course, if y'all shit yourselves against Northern Iowa to open, it doesn't even matter.

Maybe. For me, it's what the other guys were saying. I watch, and I mean watch the games - including the boring ass Northern Iowa type games, Iowa State every year in the early part of the season do whatever they can to pull the bookshelf on top of themselves. It's gotten almost comical and mildly infuriating, like a lighter version for me of Texas doing the same shit. So while I can understand the logic of ISU being in the top 5, I'm not going to believe that they can make it out of September undefeated until I see it.
Iowa opens against Indiana. Indiana lost their best player, but Allen is a good coach and I expect that to be a slog, so maybe you inherit Iowa a little dinged-up. Of course, if y'all shit yourselves against Northern Iowa to open, it doesn't even matter.

I fully expect us to shit the bed in the non-conference. I’m just defending why they put us there.

I could give some reasons why this year will be different RE the non-con, but until we actually play worth a shit at that point in the season I don’t expect to see it, and don’t blame anyone else for feeling the same way.

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I fully expect us to shit the bed in the non-conference. I’m just defending why they put us there.

I could give some reasons why this year will be different RE the non-con, but until we actually play worth a shit at that point in the season I don’t expect to see it, and don’t blame anyone else for feeling the same way.

Well win all your games before you play us, dammit. I am planning to go to the game in Ames again this year. I damned sure hope we show up this time. That 2019 game was one of the worst I've seen in a long time. We just insisted on shitting all over ourselves for no reason, then some Iowa State fans thought they should talk shit after the game. It was weird. Texas fans weren't mouthy there and have no beef with Iowa State.

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Holy shit...

People still take ESPN seriously?

The Twitterverse is fucking hilarious right now watching tOSU and LSU fans getting bent about...Iowa State, because of a...phony, made up pre-season poll...created by...ESPN.  AAAHAHAHA!!!

7 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

ESPN, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new ranking system sucks!

General-Beringer-Commander-of-NORAD-in-WarGames.jpg

I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help

Lamesa’s own Barry Corbin, ladies and gentlemen!!!!

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

This shit is approximately as useful as the rest of the preseason bullshit. Approximately not useful at all. In-season polls are bad enough, but pre-season polls are one of the worst things about College Football. Maybe the worst thing.

As noted, it's a click generator so people will whine about it.  Aside from the MSU ranking, the top-10 is just a shuffle of the Massey composite average from the end of last season with some bias toward returning players.

A deeper dive shows more.  Every team in the top-25 is a P5 team.  8 SEC teams in top 25; 7 Big12; 5 Big10; 4 ACC (if you count Notre Dame) and 1 PAC.  Clicks.

If I were in charge of a preseason "power" ranking, it would look very similar to what we saw here.  The top 25 would be VERY heavy on big name teams and have some that seem really crazy.  I would also use past "click" data to motivate the rankings.  If Ames, Starkville, State College, and Lubbock give me high clicks/population rates, I automatically rank them higher.  Ranking MSU at 8 and TTU at 21 costs me nothing, but might get me all sorts of click data and help my advertising rates.