The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He lost all credibility with this statement:

And so far, the Attorney General has shown absolutely no interest in doing so. 

What in the name of God makes all you people think Merrick Garland is going to violate every DOJ policy and practice and say what you want to hear?  We will not know shit until indictments drop, except via leaks like the above.

What I mean by it's not Garland's call, precisely, is that he is leaving the details of the investigation and prosecution to the people who will do it, meaning the FBI and US Attorneys with jurisdiction.  He will probably have the final say on whether Trump is indicted or not, based on all the considerations.  I don't think he's particularly encouraging or discouraging any prosecution, he's probably telling his subordinates to follow the facts and see where they lead and what charges can be made with what strength.

And, unlike grabasstic Congress (with the limited exception of the 1/5 Committee, which seems to be doing yeoman's work), if Garland shoots at the king, he ain't gonna miss. We should all be glad that Garland and his people aren't going to attempt some Trumpian hip shot that misses the mark badly.

I agree that people need to vote, and keep voting and do whatever they can to bank the fires of Trumpism.

I don't precisely know what I'd expect him to say, but AGs can speak to the public in generalities and Garland has spoken to the public much less frequently about anything than prior AGs. That, the DOJ's long-standing reluctance to pursue criminal charges against rich and/or politically-connected people (The Chickenshit Club doesn't exist for no reason), and the apparent sluggishness of much of the 1/6 investigation (why are they just now adding 100+ more lawyers?) causes some reasonable frustration.

Marcy Wheeler has probably done more in depth coverage of the investigation than anyone and she sees signs in numerous filings that it's made more progress than is immediately apparent to the public, but I haven't had a chance to follow all of her reporting as closely as I would like, and some other people whom I respect aren't as bullish on its progress as she is. I do think the recent seditious conspiracy indictments (including the plea deal) are a good sign, but it still feels too slow. It feels like they think they've got until 2024 to get their work done, but if the GOP takes the House and/or the Senate this November they'll shut down the Congressional inquiry, which even if you think they're mostly clowns I think is still doing necessary work and their investigation has helped the DOJ's own investigation, and a GOP Congress or even just one controlled chamber will do everything they can to fuck with the DOJ's investigation. 

I still remain pretty pessimistic, because betting on Republicans and their friends getting away with it has a pretty sterling record going back nearly 50 years now. The American public and our media have become so inured to the Republican party just being an openly criminal organization that it's common viewed as unseemly political maneuvering to even bother trying to hold them accountable for anything. In that context, I have a very hard time imagining that anyone in the DOJ is really going to be willing to stick their neck out to do the right thing. Hell, if the self-interested Democratic politicians mostly won't, why would we expect anyone else to?

• Hook 'Em 1

Something that occurred to me.

It is possible in a purely political way that a Trump indictment could be premature.

No matter how solid a case the DOJ brings, there is always a chance of acquittal. Always.  

And, given the novelty of some of the potential charges (a lot of these crimes are rarely or never charged, so we don't have a lot of law on them), there is a possibility that Trump is able to have an indictment dismissed.

I think the maximum value of a Trump indictment might simply be to have it pending during any election campaign and election.  Because a conviction is not a legal barrier to election, I'm not sure that it is quite as valuable as a pending indictment and criminal trial.

So, there may actually be some value in delaying any Trump indictment to make sure it's pending during the election.

No, the base won't care, but I think some other voters that he needs will care.  And the humiliation of campaigning with an indictment pending may deter him from running.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Animated GIF

An indictment is a factual thing that you know would be thrown in his face at every turn by pundits and other candidates from the primary on.

Sure, he''ll say "political witch hunt," but it's a helluva thing.  I'm not sure that fat pussy could hold up to it.

12 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The time is approaching when a shot must be fired, 

From a political perspective, I would agree.  I don't think Garland and the DOJ actions are motivated by political concerns, though, nor should they be.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

From a political perspective, I would agree.  I don't think Garland and the DOJ actions are motivated by political concerns, though, nor should they be.

Agreed as to Garland and DOJ.  I am sure, however, that timing is a concern.

That shameless bag of fat and spray tan ran with the whole world knowing about his strategy to grab pussy - and indictment hanging over his head?

He’ll celebrate it and fundraise off of it and use it as justification to run for president again.

How many times can this motherfucker stick a banana up our collective tailpipe???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is possible in a purely political way that a Trump indictment could be premature.

No matter how solid a case the DOJ brings, there is always a chance of acquittal. Always.  

And, given the novelty of some of the potential charges (a lot of these crimes are rarely or never charged, so we don't have a lot of law on them), there is a possibility that Trump is able to have an indictment dismissed.

I think the maximum value of a Trump indictment might simply be to have it pending during any election campaign and election.  Because a conviction is not a legal barrier to election, I'm not sure that it is quite as valuable as a pending indictment and criminal trial.

So, there may actually be some value in delaying any Trump indictment to make sure it's pending during the election.

No, the base won't care, but I think some other voters that he needs will care.  And the humiliation of campaigning with an indictment pending may deter him from running.

I said the same thing a couple days ago in the "downfall" thread.  But some convictions (rebellion?) would prevent eligibility but then he would go all in on Desantis in exchange for a Pardon.  If there was a gag order could he still yell, "witch hunt" at rallies?

On 3/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, TexasEd said:

The biggest hit to trump would be to force him to sit in court for his trial during the campaign season to deny him the rallies and put a lid on any public statements on the case.  His head would explode.

Edited by TexasEd

That’s the way Trump would play it and he’s pretty good at that game. Perception is more important than reality.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Being under indictment will motivate his voters even further. 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well if he was in a Federal Prison, that would make it hard for him to become president, even if he was on the ballot in all 50 states. No big rallies,lack of campaign opportunities, fund raising drying up, etc. 

Although, I have to admit, it would be kind of funny to see him take the oath of office live from a prison, then sign a pardon for himself so he can get out of jail and actually attend the inauguration.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well if he was in a Federal Prison, that would make it hard for him to become president, even if he was on the ballot in all 50 states. No big rallies,lack of campaign opportunities, fund raising drying up, etc. 

Although, I have to admit, it would be kind of funny to see him take the oath of office live from a prison, then sign a pardon for himself so he can get out of jail and actually attend the inauguration.

It's like you and I are gazing into the same crystal ball.

We live in an America where there is a non-zero chance of that happening.  Fucking awesome.

• Haha 2

This committee or its hearings will lead to very little. To me, we need the following from them:

• get as much info as possible into the open for history's sake.  And drop every document & interview into the public space before the next Congress is sworn in.
  • get as many GOP folks on record taking the 5th.  Preferably in filmed hearings.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

23% of polled voters are MORE likely to vote for Paxton after his indictment.

What a world.

And remember, it's a turnout game.

Those 23% turnout at a 99% rate every election to vote GQP.  The more GQPer, the better.  Does he make the libs cry by blowing up the Capitol, murdering puppies, and shooting Betty White in the face?  Then shit, find a way to vote for him TWICE!  [Note -- the last bit is not hyberbole, as the vast majority of actual voter fraud cases in recent years are GQP voters]

That 23% ends up making up about 40% of the actual turnout.  Then they just need to scrape together another 10%+1 to win.  And they do.

Can we poll that 23% and ask them to define "indictment"?  

A third of them will think it's pronounced "In-Dick-Mint", or the bodywash/mouthwash offered in public restrooms by attendant-Dan Patrick.  

Edited by Lobo

Am I the only one that wants to know what they told Trump 'burner phones' were.  I believe him when he says he hasn't heard that term because they wouldn't put that word into his vocabulary because they know he'd be a fucking idiot and repeat it, "Lot of people are out there talking about burner phones.  Lotta people.  You'd be surprised.  With these burners."  So they had to have told him to talk on something else, "special phone", "extra secretive phone", etc.  I wonder what the internal term for it was. 

Again, that state secrets were being discussed by the Commander-in-Chief on something purchased that morning from a DC Metro 7-11 should be worrying to America.  But nah, we're good.  I'm sure the White House aide remembered to take his badge off before walking into the convenience store, right?  OH NO! 

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

He can’t pardon himself before inauguration. 

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Why was this not in public?

None of the "depositions" or testimonies thus far have been public.  Which is a good thing in terms of actual investigation.  And probably why the Committee has been pretty effective thus far.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Am I the only one that wants to know what they told Trump 'burner phones' were.  I believe him when he says he hasn't heard that term because they wouldn't put that word into his vocabulary because they know he'd be a fucking idiot and repeat it, "Lot of people are out there talking about burner phones.  Lotta people.  You'd be surprised.  With these burners."  So they had to have told him to talk on something else, "special phone", "extra secretive phone", etc.  I wonder what the internal term for it was. 

Again, that state secrets were being discussed by the Commander-in-Chief on something purchased that morning from a DC Metro 7-11 should be worrying to America.  But nah, we're good.  I'm sure the White House aide remembered to take his badge off before walking into the convenience store, right?  OH NO! 

Says right there in the article, "anonymous phones."

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

None of the "depositions" or testimonies thus far have been public.  Which is a good thing in terms of actual investigation.  And probably why the Committee has been pretty effective thus far.

I cringe every time I hear Jared speak anyway. And it’s such an insult that that unqualified pinhead was handed such a position of power. 

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

positions. plural. 

Yeah, well, one title, huge portfolio of tasks, none of which he was qualified to handle. From doing Uncle Bibi’s bidding, to undermining the pandemic response, to acting as a shadow Secretary of State and/or Chief of Staff. Not to mention leveraging his office for personal gain. He had his thumbs in a lot of pies. And anytime things got hairy, he and Ivanka would jet off to Aspen for a little vacation.

Fucking amateurs playing government. 

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

come on man.

The simple fact is Donald Trump has never been indicted.  It's a whole different deal than civil suits or the inherently political impeachment.

I suspect his lawyers, if they're any good, would advise him not to run as he would be virtually certain to incriminate himself on the campaign trail, or at least create a shitstorm of collateral issues that they don't want to deal with.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The simple fact is Donald Trump has never been indicted.  It's a whole different deal than civil suits or the inherently political impeachment.

I suspect his lawyers, if they're any good, would advise him not to run as he would be virtually certain to incriminate himself on the campaign trail, or at least create a shitstorm of collateral issues that they don't want to deal with.

Yes - and he certainly has a proven track record of listening to such sage advice and not putting himself in further precarious situations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Yes - and he certainly has a proven track record of listening to such sage advice and not putting himself in further precarious situations.

Exactly.  He knows he’ll face zero consequences.  He’ll say whatever lies he wants and not one fucking thing will be done about it.  
Furrowed brows all around.

20 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Exactly.  He knows he’ll face zero consequences.  He’ll say whatever lies he wants and not one fucking thing will be done about it.  
Furrowed brows all around.

And this time, Susan Collins will say "He has definitely, totally and completely learned his lesson."

• Rage+1 2