Regional Dishes/Drinks of Texas

GreenspointTexas

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

51OuAAJLXTL._SL1000_.jpg

Clearly a joke but if there’s an equivalent to this thread in Philly, half the locals won’t take you seriously if you don’t put whiz on your cheesesteak

For around here though… Valentina‘s hasn’t been around long enough for generational legendary status yet, but the last few years, when I’m gone from home for a while, a Real Deal Holyfield is what I look forward to when I come back.  A slice of brisket, thick bacon, egg, refried beans, and salsa in a homemade tortilla. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad is a S. Texas messican......his go-to CFS order was with cream gravy....and ketchup.  It was a think among his generation in S. Texas.  The cheese looks interesting....shit, the whole dish does.

Shit ton of this happens at my family reunions in Munday. Always grossed me out but all the older family members do this. Only the SA family members but ketchup on tamales though

5 minutes ago, QuesoEspecial said:

Fletcher’s corny dogs and wax cup Shiners at the Texas State Fair in Dallas for breakfast before the ousux game

I swear to Christ I read this and I could smell it/taste it. That’s both the best tasting beer and corn dog I have every year. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, QuesoEspecial said:

Fletcher’s corny dogs and wax cup Shiners at the Texas State Fair in Dallas for breakfast before the ousux game

Every year I say I am gonna go try some of the new food items, and every year I just end up getting Fletchers and beer. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

King ranch casserole in south Texas. Don’t know any restaurants that serve it but find someone that makes it and eat it. 

Machacado con huevo. Best breakfast in the world. And that you can find in a lot of restaurants. 

Guy Fieri visited that place in Georgetown with the  guy Matthew M. and the chef made King Ranch Casserole. Solid episode, but then again Diners DriveIns and Dives is solidly watchable

Mollejas (sweetbreads- thymus gland) tacos. Tripas tacos. South Texas.  

Fuck yes, two of my favorites. Many years ago, weekend with my wife in Laredo, went across to shop and have dinner. Had some of the best mollejas of my life.

And crispy tripas tacos are one of my go-tos as well. Las Trancas on 1st makes damn good ones.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Are the old Houston style semi-italian po boys still an iconic thing?  Antone's is still making them (and I love them -- cool fact, my mother served Antone's po boys at my christening).  Zinnanti's off of Braeswood was another classic, long gone now.

When we have foreigners (other countries, yankees) down here for an extended time, we make sure they get the following, at a minimum:

Classic tex-mex -- cheese enchilada dinner.  Chips and queso.

Centex-style BBQ

SETX gumbo

Chili (and frito pie, ideally)

Chicken fried steak and cream gravy is another that we try to hit if we can.

And if we have time, a S. Texas classic -- a pot of pinto beans and cornbread.

Antone’s is still around but unfortunately it’s history and significance isn’t really appreciated, which is unfortunate because it’s one of those unique Texas things this thread is about. 

I’d add parisa in Medina County. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Whole roasted Cabrito at some place in McAllen.  We went there when both of my Great Aunt's died (one at 93, and the other at 105).  The cabrito was fantastic, came with all the fixings, and they had 99 cent margaritas that were more tequila than anything.  Always a good time.  This was back in 2008, so it has been a while.  I honestly do not think I could find it or remember the name of the place.  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Whole roasted Cabrito at some place in McAllen.  We went there when both of my Great Aunt's died (one at 93, and the other at 105).  The cabrito was fantastic, came with all the fixings, and they had 99 cent margaritas that were more tequila than anything.  Always a good time.  This was back in 2008, so it has been a while.  I honestly do not think I could find it or remember the name of the place.  

Thanks for the reminder about that how delicious that species can be.  Cabrito is fabulous.  Barbecued mutton is also a great Texas thing. Canned mutton was what the ranchers did out in Menard and Schleicher counties to support the war effort, along with making blankets from the wool they'd harvested.

I always got mutton when they had it on the menu at Ben's Long Branch -- now the location where Franklin's holds court.  Any thoughts on where some great smoked mutton can be found in Texas these days?

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There used to be a place in San Marcos that put enchilada chili gravy and cheese on their Mexican Chicken Fried Steak. Even in high school, I knew I wouldn’t be long for this world if I ate that on a regular basis.

You got damn right. It was a yellow gravy. I think the name of the dish was the Tampiqueno. Chicken fried steak and enchiladas, if I’m remembering right.

I’m pretty sure the restaurant was OST.

Fuck, that was good.

Edited by Victor Lazlo

9 hours ago, TornACL said:

Every year I say I am gonna go try some of the new food items, and every year I just end up getting Fletchers and beer. 

Now that we have kids, we go up on Thursday night and take them to the Fair on Friday.  That way, we have all day with much smaller crowds, to sample all the new food items.  Then on Saturday morning before the game, it's just a beeline to the Fletcher's stand, and a wax cup beer, to start off the day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Antone’s is still around but unfortunately it’s history and significance isn’t really appreciated, which is unfortunate because it’s one of those unique Texas things this thread is about. 

I’d add parisa in Medina County. 

Antone’s is sold in all grocery stores now, but it’s not the same. I remember walking into Antone’s on Voss as a kid, the smell of fresh baked bread and cured meats was unforgettable, then having then make a sub fresh anyway you wanted it, was unbeatable. The stuff sold in stores now is a shadow of the former store. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Guy Fieri visited that place in Georgetown with the  guy Matthew M. and the chef made King Ranch Casserole. Solid episode, but then again Diners DriveIns and Dives is solidly watchable

Guy is an asshole, Shirley out front should’ve told you. 

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There used to be a place in San Marcos that put enchilada chili gravy and cheese on their Mexican Chicken Fried Steak. Even in high school, I knew I wouldn’t be long for this world if I ate that on a regular basis.

Matts El Rancho in Austin used to have it on their menu and I pretty sure they still do it if you request it.

It was awesome when I had it.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Antone’s is sold in all grocery stores now, but it’s not the same. I remember walking into Antone’s on Voss as a kid, the smell of fresh baked bread and cured meats was unforgettable, then having then make a sub fresh anyway you wanted it, was unbeatable. The stuff sold in stores now is a shadow of the former store. 

Mandolas Deli is where it's at these days for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There's still an actual Antone's restaurant in the Galleria area still.  I stop in there every now and then when I'm in Houston, and they make their sammiches fresh.  Reminds me of 40+ years ago -- my mom and I used to hit the Antones in Sharpstown after back-to-school shopping every year, and get an original, dolmas, and a coke for lunch.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And crispy tripas tacos are one of my go-tos as well. Las Trancas on 1st makes damn good ones.

Seconded. Las Trancas doesn't get mentioned much with the more popular taco trucks in town (and on TV), but it's solid, and those tripas are my go to. With the green salsa it's perfect. 

7 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Seconded. Las Trancas doesn't get mentioned much with the more popular taco trucks in town (and on TV), but it's solid, and those tripas are my go to. With the green salsa it's perfect. 

Yelp and TV focus on gringo tacos.  Fucking $6 tacos with cranberry sauces and kale and shit.  Actual messican tacos?  Hipsters don't eat those.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Redfish on the half shell while my buddy's cabin on the intracoastal at the edge of Baffin bay.

Fried alligator gar at Rocha's El Catan in Laredo.

Fried Opelousas catfish with hushpuppies, crinkle cut fries, homemade tartar sauce and cole slaw at my in-laws' lake house on Toledo Bend.

Spicy boudin at Robert's in Orange.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Guy is far from an asshole

Don't know myself, never met him.  But just so you know where I'm coming from.  

On 7/31/2021 at 3:43 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

He strikes me as an asshole. Shirley, the owner of Shirley’s Diner in Omaha, said he’s an asshole. (Great diner, btw, and Shirley is really cool. She performed in the USO In  Vietnam but quit when a couple of the girls she worked with were killed by snipers. I don’t know if she’s still around.) Guy’s restaurant in Times Square was panned in a scathing review in the NYT and has since gone out of business. I think he’s more of a showman than someone who knows food. 

36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Don't know myself, never met him.  But just so you know where I'm coming from.  

He did a ton of relief work for restaurants and their staffs during Covid 19.  He has countless times fed firefighters and other workers who were battling the California wildfires.  He has an organization that helps kids fundraise and learn business skills through pretzel carts.  Hell he even officiates gay weddings.

Gotta add the classic gas station breakfast taco almost anywhere in the Valley. Spent the week in La Feria last week and had Stripes/Laredo Taco Company, that was great, and another morning from Steve's corner store in between La Feria/Harlingen. The flour tortillas are guaranteed to be homemade and the barbacoa is usually killer too. From Edinburg to Brownsville.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fuck yes, two of my favorites. Many years ago, weekend with my wife in Laredo, went across to shop and have dinner. Had some of the best mollejas of my life.

M

el tiempo in Houston has excellent sweet breads !!!