Regional Dishes/Drinks of Texas

GreenspointTexas

Lets try this. What are some dishes or drinks that you have to try when going to “X”?

for example: If in the Golden Triangle, you gotta have BBQ Crabs. Or if youre in Lubbock you gotta order at least one Chilton

What say you, Surly? Ill kick it off:

A Ranchwater at The Gage Hotel (where it was arguably invented)

Dove/ quail fry in the fall.  Technically it could be anywhere in the state, but I equate it with Wichita Falls area.

Pheasant in the Panhandle in  December, especially on a cold, crisp day.

Use to have some friends in Beaumont who would come visit or we would go see them.  The deciding factor was almost always when they would say, "We'll make gumbo."  This also goes for crawfish boils.  Growing up in north and West Texas, I'd never experienced what those meant, until we moved to LA and SE Texas.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I had me an Allsup's burrito in Stephenville last week which was a nice surprise as I thought they stopped much further west than that. Hopefully we'll get them on I-35 one day.

That's my closest place to get them. We've been badgering them to put one in Granbury.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

Are the old Houston style semi-italian po boys still an iconic thing?  Antone's is still making them (and I love them -- cool fact, my mother served Antone's po boys at my christening).  Zinnanti's off of Braeswood was another classic, long gone now.

When we have foreigners (other countries, yankees) down here for an extended time, we make sure they get the following, at a minimum:

Classic tex-mex -- cheese enchilada dinner.  Chips and queso.

Centex-style BBQ

SETX gumbo

Chili (and frito pie, ideally)

Chicken fried steak and cream gravy is another that we try to hit if we can.

And if we have time, a S. Texas classic -- a pot of pinto beans and cornbread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Perini steakhouse in Buffalo Gap

Big O's in Waco

Rocky Mountain Oysters fried up fresh in a disc plow fryer and a propane tank

BBQ in Lockhart, TX

Big Texan in Amarillo

Blue Bonnet in Marble Falls

Good call, always split between the chicken livers and CFS and always, always a slice of pecan pie.  GDit, mouth is watering just thinking about BB. 

13 minutes ago, squib said:

Chicken fried steak covered in gravy and CHEESE at the Mexican food joints in Zapata. Often served with an enchilada refried beans. So damn good after a day on Falcon.

l.jpg

My dad is a S. Texas messican......his go-to CFS order was with cream gravy....and ketchup.  It was a think among his generation in S. Texas.  The cheese looks interesting....shit, the whole dish does.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad is a S. Texas messican......his go-to CFS order was with cream gravy....and ketchup.  It was a think among his generation in S. Texas.  The cheese looks interesting....shit, the whole dish does.

Matt's in Dallas does CFS with queso.  It's damned good.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There is actually a King Ranch Texas Kitchen restaurant in Houston. But you’re not welcome there. 

That’s too bad. Last time I had king ranch casserole I was thinking that the only thing that would’ve made it better was if I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and carjacked at gunpoint at the same time. Guess I’ll just miss out. 

When in Texas I roam the surface streets of San Antonio searching for restaurants with bars on the windows, named after Pancho Villa battles, menus on fluorescent poster board, and you better shout something friendly in Spanish when you walk in else the waitress will hide in the kitchen to avoid your white ass. Then I order whatever I don't know what it is. It's always good and if you try this at home you'll gain a pound a day.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Perini steakhouse in Buffalo Gap

Big O's in Waco

Rocky Mountain Oysters fried up fresh in a disc plow fryer and a propane tank

BBQ in Lockhart, TX

Big Texan in Amarillo

Blue Bonnet in Marble Falls

There's something about a Big O.  I've had barrels of beer but there's something about freezing goblet full of beer and the little chips of ice that floats around in it.  It's close to perfect