Arky vs aggy Saturday, Sept 25th 2:30pm CT CBS

LTtxfan

Arky may be missing two starting OL vs aggy...

Arky Injury Report: Latest on Stromberg, Wagner, others

Andrew Hutchinson • HawgBeat

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas could potentially be without a pair of starting offensive linemen for Saturday’s top-25 showdown at AT&T Stadium.

After both players left the Georgia Southern game with injuries, the status of right tackle Dalton Wagner and center Ricky Stromberg is up in the air for the No. 16 Razorbacks' matchup with No. 7 Texas A&M.

Head coach Sam Pittman didn’t provide any details on either player’s specific injury, but didn’t give a particularly optimistic answer when asked about them Monday.

“I’m positive neither one of them will practice today (and) then we’ll kind of go on with Tuesday, Wednesday,” Pittman said. “I told Coach (Cody) Kennedy we’d better get ready as if neither of them will be able to play, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Wagner was the first player to go down. He was seen leaving the injury tent and walking slowly down the sideline before gingerly sitting down on the bench during the first half. It appeared to be a back issue.

Stromberg suffered an apparent knee injury when he got rolled up on the second play after halftime. He limped off the field after being tended to by trainers. He missed time in fall camp with an MCL strain.

As a result, Arkansas used several different combinations along the offensive line. Ty Clary did not start, but he went in at right tackle in Wagner’s place in the first half and then moved to his usual right guard spot to start the second half before ending up at center in Stromberg’s place.

Brady Latham moved to right tackle to start the second half, allowing Luke Jones to play left guard. Beaux Limmer and Myron Cunningham started at right guard and left tackle, respectively. It was the first time offensive line coach Cody Kennedy’s cross-training during the offseason was put to the test in a real game.

“I was so proud of Cody and that group, because he had them ready last week,” Pittman said. “We’re going to go back to that mentality of, ‘All we’ve got is all we need.’ If they can play, we sure as heck want them to, but we’re going to be prepared if they’re not able to.”

Here are a few other quick injury notes…

TE Hudson Henry

Although he eventually played nine offensive snaps late in the blowout, Henry was the fourth tight end to see the field against Georgia Southern. Blake Kern started and played a majority of the snaps, but he was followed by Nathan Bax and Trey Knox.

That was due to Henry’s lack of practice leading up to the game, as he rolled his ankle early in the week and didn’t return to practice until Thursday.

“As a matter of fact, there was a question of it we were going to (dress) him or not,” Pittman said. “We decided to go with Kern, then Bax, then Knox, then Henry.”

RB Trelon Smith

Although he’s the team’s leading rusher with 216 yards and averaging 5.1 yards per carry through three games, Smith has yet to be fully healthy, Pittman said.

In addition to missing time with turf toe in fall camp, the Razorbacks’ starting running back left Saturday’s game with some sort of upper-body injury. He was seen doing to the locker room with his shoulder pads off during the first half, but eventually returned to the game.

“He is an inspiring guy in that room and on our team,” Pittman said. “We need him to get healthy. We need him to be a strong leader on our football team. That’s what he’s doing, but he’s just been a little beat up this year.”

S Myles Slusher

Despite being listed on the depth chart as a backup safety in Arkansas’ dime package, Slusher didn’t make his season debut until Georgia Southern’s final possession Saturday.

After missing time with a high-ankle sprain his true freshman year, he has been dealing with what Pittman described as a hamstring/quad injury. It sounds like he is finally healthy and could see his role expand as the season progresses.

“I think Myles Slusher can be almost as good as anybody we have on defense,” Pittman said. “He’s not playing right now, even any special teams, because he’s been injured. … If he can get healthy, he’s a really good football player, and I think all of you will see that.”

Go pig. I have zero faith they win and don’t look awful but whatever - go pig.

Go meteorite crashing in to jerryworld.

Late 40s here. Won’t root for arkie or aggy. Both fans suck. If arkie wins they will own texas in 21. If aggy wins they won’t stop talking about similar opponents for 25 years. Lose-lose type of game.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So we get this game thread 3 days early but Texas vs Texas Tech....nah

On the day of the game, the Official Game Thread will be started, and then locked by a Moderator. 

At T-3 hours prior to kickoff the Official Game Thread will then be unlocked by a Moderator. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Go meteorite crashing in to jerryworld.

Late 40s here. Won’t root for arkie or aggy. Both fans suck. If arkie wins they will own texas in 21. If aggy wins they won’t stop talking about similar opponents for 25 years. Lose-lose type of game.

Normally yes but we should want pig to win out to make our asskicking not look quite so horrible. Of course if we lose to tech it’s irrelevant and we won’t be a bowl team. 

In retrospect, go meteorite. 

I think pig is better than we thought they were going into our game (obviously) or that they have been in the past few years, but I'd give the neutral site advantage to aggy and I think aggy is unfortunately a better team. 

Final will probably be something stupid and predictable like 17-13 aggy. 

I think Arkansas can win but not because they are a good team, they aren't.  They have been dogshit in the SEC and there is no reason to believe they are good this year.  Way more likely Texas just had another coach shit the bed than Arkansas is a legit team.  But aggie is also bad.  Their ranking last year, and this year, is fool's gold.  Also despite the recent series record, the games between these two are always close.  I'd definitely take Arkansas and the points.

We thought our DL was going be strong to elite this year and we're exposed in that game. Aggy DL is legit and they should have no problem forcing the pig QB to throw which he is not particularly good at doing. 

The real question is if the aggy OL and Calzada can produce. Colorado is pretty terrible and kept them from scoring for almost a half. My guess is they can put 21 on the board which will be enough. 

We really didn't learn much about arky from our game, we just shit the bed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For a lot of fuckin’ reasons beyond just this game…and I’m a Cowboy fan.
you Jerruh. 
Took the words right out of my mouth. But not a large meteor, I live about 25 mins away from the Deathstar. Would a Miata sized meteor do the trick without too much widespread collateral damage?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

aggy has the film of the Texas game to review while Texas only had film of Arky v Rice at the time.  Kendall Briles was holding back his real offensive game plan when they played rice and we weren’t prepared. Jimbo has that advantage in game planning. Idk aggy probably wins this per usual but they benefited  greatly that we played arky first 

52 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

We thought our DL was going be strong to elite this year and we're exposed in that game. Aggy DL is legit and they should have no problem forcing the pig QB to throw which he is not particularly good at doing. 

The real question is if the aggy OL and Calzada can produce. Colorado is pretty terrible and kept them from scoring for almost a half. My guess is they can put 21 on the board which will be enough. 

We really didn't learn much about arky from our game, we just shit the bed. 

Look back at the Kent State game. Aggy was getting run on easier than the final score indicated by a mobile QB. Cal ads is ass my dude. I think piggy has a legit shot.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:
For a lot of fuckin’ reasons beyond just this game…and I’m a Cowboy fan.
emoji1589.pngyou Jerruh. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. But not a large meteor, I live about 25 mins away from the Deathstar. Would a Miata sized meteor do the trick without too much widespread collateral damage?

Can we agree on, say, a Winnebago? 

I think Saturday can go very bad for Texas and this board might explode.  Too many people looking at yards allowed averages off of bad games.  

A&M is the better football team.  Started slow like last year and lost a QB.  Jimbo sat multiple starters for rest after a 10-7 Colorado win.  I think he knows exactly what he has and how good they are.

A&M wins 24-10.

• Fuck You 3

I don't think it has anything to do with A&M being particularly good.  So far this season they've looked pretty bad, against some pretty bad teams.

It's just that Arkansas also isn't particularly good.  Outside of Alabama, nobody in the SEC West is particularly good.  I see a lot of parity there, and a lot of teams that are going to trade off 2-3 losses to one another.

The ags have the pigs' number, and I expect that to continue.  But they're going to drop a couple among Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss State, plus their guaranteed loss to Alabama.  All of those teams are going to drop a couple to one another.  A big circle jerk of suckassery.

If you think Calzone sucks, like most of us here do, then it makes a lot of sense to think that Arkansas will likely win this game. If you're buying that Calzone is actually good, like A&M fans and some national media I listened to this week, then A&M should have the upper hand. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you think Calzone sucks, like most of us here do, then it makes a lot of sense to think that Arkansas will likely win this game. If you're buying that Calzone is actually good, like A&M fans and some national media I listened to this week, then A&M should have the upper hand. 

Whatever happens, someone is going to lose this game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Calzada is awesome because he beat...checks notes...the mighty New Mexico Lobos. 

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

Calzone completed about 50% of his passes as a HS player and that's pretty much where he's at now.  He's thrown 2 int's already and should have a few more that went right through Colorado players hands.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few this week.

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Calzone completed about 50% of his passes as a HS player and that's pretty much where he's at now.  He's thrown 2 int's already and should have a few more that went right through Colorado players hands.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few this week.

He was an interception machine in HS.

aggy D will shut down their run game, especially with what are likely two low 3* backup o-linemen trying to block. If Jefferson is forced to go to the air, think Calzone wins that battle.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Arkansas needs to make him throw in tight windows. I think Catalon will make him pay if they can do that