2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, we at least got one guy on the team who will say what we are all thinking out loud

I hope he realizes he can get subs for 9.95 a month for that type of information.  hell maybe 19.95...NIL babay!

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sounds like we’re fucked. Hopefully the young guys he’s talking about are from the 2020/2021 class and not the 2022 one. 

Also makes sense why Bijan picked a team full of walk-ons when they were competing over the summer. 

I think the whole point of that interview was discussing what has been hindering the team previously and what they’ve been trying to get rid of, not necessarily that this years team is littered with the bad guys. They turned around about 1/3rd of the roster including several guys we know for a fact we’re cancers.

Also, there’s only like 10 guys from the 2022 class on campus and almost every one of them seem pretty lowkey. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Some more Ojomo quotes, this time from IT

Typically, a 20-year-old Texas football player in press settings repeats program talking points in some form or fashion. Not Moro Ojomo. He doesn’t just peel back the onion; he slices through it and unveils exactly what is on his mind.

On Thursday, Ojomo spoke to local media for 25 minutes. In comparison, Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian’s Tuesday press conference was 24 minutes in length. Ojomo hit on a wide array of topics, including players who had fared well in Texas’ eight spring practices. But his most cogent thought, the thought that showed wisdom well beyond his two decades, had to do with the mentality he and others are trying to root out of the program.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

Last year, Ojomo mentioned there didn’t seem to be enough players on Texas’ roster who hated to lose as much as they wanted to win. In the second year of Sarkisian’s tenure, Ojomo has seen progress in that area.

“This whole offseason, I think that me and a couple guys who have been here a minute have tried to be more outward focused and worried about the team, because the team is going to need to win however many games to go in whatever round we want to get drafted in,” Ojomo said. “Working on actually being a family and a brotherhood is a huge focus this offseason.”

Those words appear indicative of too much individualism on the 2021 Longhorns, that there were too many people looking out for themselves rather than playing for victory for Texas. He pointed to T’Vondre Sweat, not as a worst offender, but as someone who made significant progress in regard to being fully bought in.

And through Sweat, Ojomo dove into the problems that have plagued Texas for half of his life.

“I think he was, not necessarily ‘F the team,’ but more individual,” Ojomo said. “I think that’s the problem with guys at this institution. If we get our team right – I think Georgia has maybe five defensive people in the top fifty prospects. You get your team right, we’re all getting drafted. I think they’re coming to that realization of if everyone in this D-line can contribute. We can all get drafted. We can all have our dreams be reality.”

Those realities have eluded Ojomo, at least as best he can remember. He mentioned the experience he had in 2018 isn’t at the forefront of his mind. Instead, the shortcomings of 2019, 2020, and 2021 almost seem to haunt him.

It’s what has him making time for others at the TANC, where Longhorn football players eat and gather. It’s what has him telling players like Jaylen Garth and Andrej Karic it’s time to grow up. It’s what has him saying more players on the edge need to play like Ovie Oghoufo. It’s what has him wanting to learn what Oghoufo and Keilan Robinson, two players with College Football Playoff experience, think of Texas in its current state.

It also has him thinking about just how challenging getting everyone on that same page like Georgia, like Alabama, like Notre Dame, is in 2022. Texas the school has its fair share of allures, but those allures can act as impediments to creating that winning football culture. They can pull a team in separate directions, whether it be something offered by the city of Austin, from Name, Image, and Likeness, or from anything else Ojomo calls the crumbs compared to the whole cake.

“They have to somehow see the 24-year-old, 25-year-old maybe signing their second contract in the NFL for $50 million as opposed to seeing the 20-year-old making $40k off of NIL, sleeping with women, drinking, and all that as opposed to, you’ve got $50 million,” Ojomo said. “You’re living in Spanish Oaks. You’re living in Westlake. Traveling when you want. You’ve got the Rolls Royce outside. That’s the life they have to see, and they have to understand that it just doesn’t happen on autopilot.”

Autopilot is how Ojomo described the last decade of Longhorn football. Essentially, disappointing season, anger, offseason, then repeat. “That’s what’s not going to happen this year,” he said.

Ojomo thinks he knows what it takes to help lead a team to the type of success he’s looking for. However, he admitted he doesn’t really remember what it feels like. That’s why he wants input from not only the coaches who have seen it, but players like Robinson and Oghoufo. He knows the info they provide will be far more valuable.

“It needs to be player-led, coaches fed,” Ojomo said. “Someone made a statement about whatever senior class changes the tide for UT is going to be extremely memorable. It’s because it’s the players. Coaches come and go. Players have to make a stand and basically be like ‘enough is enough.’ 7-6 B.S. Texas isn’t happening anymore. We have the ability. We have the talent. Get your mind right.”

Though it might be a tall task, if they’re able to get it done?

“We’re going to go win,” Ojomo said.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s got it backwards.  Winning doesn’t create draftable players.  Draftable players create winning.  

For the most cases, you’re right. But that 2019 LSU team had some kids drafted that shouldn’t have been.

IT Practice report from this morning

Not that they didn’t do a team portion or practice hard, but Thursday was more of a teaching/install day. They did more situational work, including 2nd and 3rd down, plus end of half/game. One portion that had them going at it pretty good was when they ran up-tempo.

The details of one practice to the next aren’t as important as the developing themes. After getting handled fairly easily in the scrimmage last Saturday, the offense showed improvement in each of the two practices so far this week. Saturday’s scrimmage could tell a different story, but sources feel like O-line and QB play were improved over the previous week.

When asked what was improved in the passing game a source’s first reply was, “The receivers are better, the routes are better, they’re better at finding space, they’re just playing faster.” Fair to say there was a coaching upgrade? “Yes.”

What about quarterback play? “It’s easily better than where it was a year ago at this time. Regardless of who wins the job, quarterbacks will be better than last year.”

The developing theme at QB is Quinn Ewers is more boom or bust, while Card is more steady and more accurate. That written, both threw picks on Thursday.

And the run-game? “The O-line was better this week, more cohesive.” It might not be a coincidence the run-game on Thursday emphasized outside running.

Re: trouble running the ball in the scrimmage. “It seemed the coaches were dead set on asserting the run. There wasn’t a whole lot of creativity in play-calling.” Another source mentioned, “I think Worthy was targeted once. If it was more, it wasn’t by much.”

Overall confidence in the offense being better than last year? “Very confident. There are times they have Bijan, Roschon, Whittington, Xavier, and Isaiah out there at the same time. How can it not be better?” Touché.

Will the defense be better? “I feel good they’ll be better too. The DB’s are covering receivers better, and this is an improved group of receivers. The linebackers are playing better. There are definitely still questions but they look more comfortable than last year and the coaches seem to be developing more answers.”

It sounds like Pete Kwiatkowski is tweaking and trying a lot of different looks and packages. You have to squint very, very hard to see Gary Patterson’s fingerprints. Talk of Patterson’s influence should probably be shelved for a while.

One decision that does look like a GP recommendation, though we have no idea if it was, was moving Kitan Crawford from corner to safety. A source on this story-line didn’t say Crawford had a good chance to start, he emphatically said Crawford would start. Now, we’re a little leery simply because we’ve heard superlatives regarding Crawford before, but his ascent in such a short period of time is encouraging. We continue to hear of his range, physicality, and ability to communicate.

Speaking of that range, Crawford was included in the group of five fastest Longhorns in pads: Xavier Worthy, Keilan Robinson, Kitan Crawford, Jordan Whittington, and D’Shawn Jamison.

This is a rosier view than earlier in the week. We’ll see what the scrimmage brings us, but before then we should have a little more team tomorrow morning.

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Just wait til RoJo adds a little passing to his repertoire this year.

And I’d consider Rickey and Priest a pair not a group. I did like Shon Mitchell, but he’s a poor man’s Keilan Robinson.

We’ve been fortunate to have a lot of greatness at that position.

Just run with a bit of positivity for awhile.

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

It’s hard to take people seriously when they say asinine bullshit like that.

Mitchell rushed for 1099 yds on 6.2 YPC in 1995 and another 626 yds the next season.

Robinson has 576 yds over 2 seasons at Bama and Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

It’s hard to take people seriously when they say asinine bullshit like that.

Mitchell rushed for 1099 yds on 6.2 YPC in 1995 and another 626 yds the next season.

Robinson has 576 yds over 2 seasons at Bama and Texas.

yeah but keilan’s faster. boom, roasted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure Im a big fan of calling your teammates out by name to the media. I like what he has to say, but handle it internally. I get he was asked about specific players, but I think the criticism is way less constructive when done through the local media like that. Its great he wants to be a leader, but part of that is having your teammates back to the outside. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Bro fuck that. He's tired of the loser culture and dudes needing to grow the fuck up. It's nice to have confirmation that someone is trying to do something about it instead of being a bitch ass bitch. 

I mean yea, I loved hearing him say that stuff. I just think its really unusual to hear a player be that candid about his teammates for a reason. Who knows, he may have been being very specific for good reason. Hearing that stuff was similar to the Bo Davis vid for me, its what you want. Was just surprising to hear it from someone currently on the team. 

9 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Not sure Im a big fan of calling your teammates out by name to the media. I like what he has to say, but handle it internally. I get he was asked about specific players, but I think the criticism is way less constructive when done through the local media like that. Its great he wants to be a leader, but part of that is having your teammates back to the outside. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Lol. Roy had about 180 less yards on 20 less catches as a Fr.

And Ship/Quan also had Limas as well.

This isn’t the most talent top 3 WR TEXAS has ever had. It was idiotic hyperbole.

Jay Cutler had much better stats than Troy Aikman, who both were much much better than Terry Bradshaw and Joe Namath. I’d bet that Carson Wentz season last year was better than the best season of 90% of Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

Roy Williams had sophomore Chris Simms throwing to him in a Greg Davis 2000 offense. Coach left crossing routes, pumpfakes, and backshoulder/jump balls out the playbook because of risk. Against shitty teams, it worked like a charm. Made it easier for good defenses to tee off.
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

I mean yea, I loved hearing him say that stuff. I just think its really unusual to hear a player be that candid about his teammates for a reason. Who knows, he may have been being very specific for good reason. Hearing that stuff was similar to the Bo Davis vid for me, its what you want. Was just surprising to hear it from someone currently on the team. 

Had a very- these guys aren't listening and I've tried all that so going the public call out route to me. He's not putting anyone down, he's just trying to wake them up. The fact he feels the need speaks to how far the culture still has to go.

• Hook 'Em 5

“They have to understand it doesn’t happen on autopilot. There’s so many people who have this effed-up mentality of thinking they’re gonna go to the NFL, and they haven’t touched the field. It’s the funniest thing to me. It’s like, ‘You haven’t touched the field in three years.’ And they’ll be like, ‘Oh no, I’m gonna get my bread, dog.’ It’s very funny.”

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47omuaxrrwn07px3lrkev

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

I am not a huge fan. If Bijan wants to call out a teammates, I can deal with that. He has skins on the wall. You throw up 0 sacks and  3 TFLs for a season and perhaps it isnt your job to call people out publicly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Will have to politely disagree here.

Some of the most well respected guys on teams, regardless of the sport, are not the superstars. We know Roschon Johnson is a leader on the team and he doesn't have all the impressive stats. Glue guys, leadership guys and superstars are not always the same people.

Ojomo has been here 5 years and was on a team that won a NY6 bowl game. He's been around the block. This isn't some freshman coming in and demanding respect while calling out seniors. What Ojomo has seen the last few years isn't good enough and I would want him to voice that to guys who have not experienced what it is like to win at a high level.

Each to there own, but honestly a senior that may not start telling me how to work doesnt carry the same weight as a Junior that is a sure fire day one pick telling me how to work. 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic