Anthony Bourdain dead

Deej

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Calling it nonsense is a great way to continue to stigmatize mental health issues in this country. 

Maybe it's a poor choice of words, I don't really think so, but when my medicine is working I know that those thoughts were nonsense. It's when I'm stressed and those thoughts take over that I can't see how nonsensical they are.  Bourdain has been a favorite of mine for many years. This one hurts. Fuck mental illness.

@cactusflinthead started a thread about this shit that helps a lot of us. I welcome anybody that is struggling to find it and join in the discussion.

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/280-depression-ocd-and-whatever-else-ails-you-between-the-ears/

• Like 5

Just now, Washpark said:

Interesting comparison between this thread / response and Kate Spade's.

This forum is mostly men.  not THAT interesting, really.   Bourdain was very much a man's man and had stories and adventures that would outshine many posters on here.

RIP my boot wearing brother who influenced me to be more comfortable with the grey hairs and not giving a fuck

• Like 5

I’ve always thought that if I had physical ailments that would soon lead to my painful death or extremely low quality of life, I think suicide is a logical option.  I fully understand it leaves people behind in pain but if you’re dying soon, is there a difference?  I would be open about it happening.      

I guess some with mental ailments feel the same.  And perhaps their ailments are leading to a low quality of life.  I don’t know if the facts support it but it does seem that mental vs physical issues lead more prone to spontaneous suicide.  Perhaps there is help that can heal them.

fyi, I’m not downplaying the pain that people feel when someone in their life commits suicide.  

“A day in the life” from Kitchen Confidential is one of the most informative, fun and bombastic chapters I’ve ever read in a book. He also completely opened my eyes to how a restaurant really works, and he’s in my head on what to look for at new places.

Also got him to sign my copy back when he was here in like 2010. Damn shame

Jesus

This one actually effects me hard.

I believed so strongly in his work that travel and exploration has become an ethos for me. I have tried and experienced so much more in life because of the influence of his writings and shows.

I felt his narration was brilliant and his storytelling was only getting better.

This really really sucks.

Edited by Gardner Barnes
  • Like 2

I try to follow what I think his best advice was when traveling: if you see a line of people waiting at one place for food, eat there, as it could be something amazing.

Except for grand openings of chik fil a.

I was always so jealous of these far flung, remote places he would go. The food he got to try and the people and their stories he got to know. That aspect of his life I think most anyone was envious of. What a bummer.

I get mental illness, but fuck these people for leaving their young children high and dry. I don't need to hear about how great of a person they were, yada yada. They fucked their kids over

Then I don’t think you actually “get” mental illness then.

But yes, terribly tragic for his kid.
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, Washpark said:

Guess he checked in for his last reservation....

Interesting comparison between this thread / response and Kate Spade's.

Fair point. 

Personally, but in no way confidentially, it's a lot harder for me to come up with a bunch of half-baked puns for this one. 

Like others have said, maybe it's the fact that so many of us can relate to him, admired him, or were straight up jealous of the life he had that has us all fit to be tied, but this terrible, tragic, flawed, and personal decision of his (no matter how flawed the decision-making criteria may have been) is still nothing for us to put our heads in the oven over. This one burns, however. 

But it probably is a more effective and "personally relevant" illustration of the importance of mental health care, attitudes, and other issues in this country versus an eponymous bag designer. 

I soured on his attitude later in his run on No Reservations, but very much respect the amount of awareness he brought to the world, and the voice he gave to the little guy. Totally gutted for his family as well.

He also led me to Tung Po in HKG, for which I'll be eternally grateful.

The difference between the threads is that we got to know Bourdain as a person from his TV show, and we know Kate Spade as merely a name on a bag.   If Bourdain had a successful line of cookbooks, but we had never seen or heard from him before, the response here would be different.