Anthony Bourdain dead

Deej

This hurts.  Badly.  Absolutely love his shoes and brought me into a better understanding of a ton of different foods, drinks, and culture.    

When his buddy Zamir was in TX to promote his new vodka (which is pretty damned good), we did a kickoff part at my pub.    Had him around for 2 days and we hung out, drank vodka, and talked about the world.  It was amazing.   I text him this morning and exchanged condolences and caught up with him.   Definitely a worse place without Bourdain.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

This saddens me more and more I think about his.  11 year old daughter. Man. My heart breaks for her. 

Fresh air is re-airing an episode from 2016 with him and he’s talking about doing pancake breakfast bars for his daughter and her friends after sleepovers. I can’t imagine the pain he must have been in to leave her

9 hours ago, Washpark said:

Guess he checked in for his last reservation....

Interesting comparison between this thread / response and Kate Spade's.

I honestly didn't know who either of them were.  But Kate Spade killed herself at least in part due to marital problems and left behind a suicide note for her 13-year-old daughter telling her to ask daddy why mommy killed herself.  Fuck that bitch.

I've been bummed all day about this. You could tell from his shows that he had a gentle and kind soul. In all his years on tv, he was never pretentious, mean spirited, or otherwise negative. He was the everyman that every man (and woman) would love to hang out with and trade stories of travel and food. In these times of ugly politics and dark spirits, he was a breath of fresh air. I never understood all the moaning after the death of Princess Diana, but I definitely understand it after AB's death. I hope you have peace in the after life my friend.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I honestly didn't know who either of them were.  But Kate Spade killed herself at least in part due to marital problems and left behind a suicide note for her 13-year-old daughter telling her to ask daddy why mommy killed herself.  Fuck that bitch.

I endorse this message. Not only leaving her daughter with a dark cloud over the rest of her life but trying to put the blame for her actions on her husband and trying to drive a wedge between her daughter and her surviving parent.  

Didn’t watch the show but heard him on some interviews and he seemed like a really down to earth, regular guy which is not exactly what you’d expect from a “celebrity chef.”  It be very hard to quantitate how much he did for travel and the humanizing of people from other countries to those that watched his show. Tremendous loss of a guy who made the world a better place. 

"The first time I met you,  you were still working at the Travel Channel, you told me you had a chance to make a lot of money for two or three years, and then when it was over you might move to Singapore or some other Asian country and write books, but there's no end in sight. You get bigger every year. You never stop moving -- "
         "It's interesting that you should be the one to tell me this. Yeah, everyone except my wife thinks I live this glamorous life. At night when we're done taping the show I'm holed up in my hotel room all by myself. It's like I've spent my whole life running away from something, but I don't know what it is that I'm running away from. When I was working in a kitchen it was the only time I really felt at peace -- it was as if I was a religious ascetic. And I don't mean this ironically. I've been successful beyond my wildest dreams, but now I don't have the courage to pull back and reflect on what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. And worst of all, lately I really don't give a fuck. More and more I find myself sinking into a cold and unfeeling indifference." 
      I'll never forget that day. Anthony is a very impressive -- actually imposing figure. Tall, at least six-five, erect, fit, with clear, brown, intelligent eyes, expressive eyebrows that he arches to great effect, bristly steel-grey, slightly spiked hair, and a distinctive, clear, shrewd voice. When people ask me about him (which they do often) I always answer: "Anthony Bourdain is not a phony. In person he's just like he is on TV except more so."

A Great Flame Follows A Little Spark

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Toy photobombing too.

I might have left by then after pouring shots of GB Bourbon for the Shaggy crew. That was on top of their swilling the free keg brew John laid out. Bourdain got the last three ounces in my bottle. Toy video'd me shuffling over from the next table and setting said bottle in front of him. Bourdain was very gracious and didn't tell me to fuck off. In fact he thanked me nicely and finished the bottle a little later.

• Like 1

So many of the replies here, and the outpouring in the media, is dead-on. It’s fantastic that so many people “got” his message and character.

He’s what we need more of in this world. And the fact that so many people recognize that gives me a little bit of hope.

I can’t remember ever feeling this sad, and a sense of true loss, about any other celebrity in my life. I’m gonna miss the hell out of him.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So many of the replies here, and the outpouring in the media, is dead-on. It’s fantastic that so many people “got” his message and character.

He’s what we need more of in this world. And the fact that so many people recognize that gives me a little bit of hope.

I can’t remember ever feeling this sad, and a sense of true loss, about any other celebrity in my life. I’m gonna miss the hell out of him.

Yeah, give me a choice and I'd take Phil Hartman, Robin Williams, or Philip Seymour Hoffman back first. Or John Candy. Or John Belushi. Or Chris Farley. 

• Like 1

This is a kick to the balls. I think why this hurts more than other celebrities is because he was a man of the people. He could have posted here as a number of our members and we wouldn't have known the difference. I sincerely hope hes in a better place. I think he had no reservations about his final resting place. ;)

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I told my wife the same thing last night.  Celebrity deaths don't really bother me, but I was genuinely bummed yesterday.  I'm gonna miss him.  He is largely responsible for me having the travel bug.

I told my wife the same thing last night.  Celebrity deaths don't really bother me, but I was genuinely bummed yesterday.  I'm gonna miss him.  He is largely responsible for me having the travel bug.

Hell, my wife the pastor is quite bummed, and she’s offered the theological perspective. Bourdain, perhaps more than any other lay person, lived the example of everyone being welcome at The Table. Every table is the Lord’s table, and every meal shared with our fellow man a sacrament. One bread, one body.

Bourdain, an atheist, perhaps lived the belief of one bread, one body, better than many faith leaders (some of whom have already stepped on their dicks when discussing his death). I find that actually quite beautiful.

• Like 2

i'm watching the tribute episodes they've decided to air tonight, and in the quebec episode tony goes to a restaurant in quebec city where they're cooking on a 4 ring electric stove, and he says something to the effect of "if i had to operate a restaurant using that i'd hang myself from the nearest beam".  rewatching all these episodes in view of what happened has been sobering. the episode before this one was marseille with ripert and it's somewhat chilling how much of they discussed the future and the afterlife. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i'm watching the tribute episodes they've decided to air tonight, and in the quebec episode tony goes to a restaurant in quebec city where they're cooking on a 4 ring electric stove, and he says something to the effect of "if i had to operate a restaurant using that i'd hang myself from the nearest beam".  rewatching all these episodes in view of what happened has been sobering. the episode before this one was marseille with ripert and it's somewhat chilling how much of they discussed the future and the afterlife. 

You're projecting, you tiny little mystic you.

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hanging oneself seems like a bad way to go.   To me that’s like drowning or burning to death.  I don’t understand how anyone can get to that place.  A quick bullet I can understand. But hanging yourself is hard to fathom.  

Less mess for someone else to clean up.  More of a courtesy.

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Less mess for someone else to clean up.  More of a courtesy.

Damn.  Reminds of my wife’s grandfather.  Dude was one of my best friends. My own grandpas were dead before I was 12 or so.   I spent countless hours with him riding in a pickup truck going to various gas wells in the summer.   And stopping at Praseks back when it was just a small store that sold kolache and klobasnekl.   Anyway he was a medic on a ship offshore during D-day.  I still have his medic bag and his scissors.  Fucking scissors.  He says to me “I thought I’d seen all the blood and guts I was ever going to see in those days.”  He came home and got married, had a kid and lost one, and started working in the oilfield while he farmed on the side.  His oilfield boss had a pretty wife, who fucked around on him.  He went to the office one morning, and his boss had blown his head off, literally.  He had to get a bucket, a mop and a scrub brush and clean that shit up.  He told me “son, don’t ever do that to anybody, you never forget the smell and it never washes off. “   I miss that old guy.  Climbing up on saltwater tanks at 72 years old and chalking his line and dropping it in.  

• Like 3

On 6/8/2018 at 10:53 PM, Brisketexan said:

This 1000% this. 

It's easy to hate, we all need to do a better job to be open to others that don't have the same views as our own. Learn, grow, have some laughs over a beer and some food. 

It's what the world needs more of. 

I’m with Brisket as well. Normally celebrity deaths don’t affect me but I’m incredibly bummed about AB deciding to end it.

I met him after a book promotion and had him sign my copy of KC. It’s in pretty rough shape, having gotten really wet. He teased me about throwing it in the toilet, I had to explain I’d left it on a table at my hotel in India once when it got rained on.

His passage about having to be adventurous with food as part of the allure of travel is something I’ve always shared with him and appreciated his attempts to convince others. I was a real hit with my local friends in the Philippines because I had zero qualms trying balot, dinuguan, soup #9 and really like sisig. I wasn’t there to eat McDonald’s everyday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m with Brisket as well. Normally celebrity deaths don’t affect me but I’m incredibly bummed about AB deciding to end it.

I met him after a book promotion and had him sign my copy of KC. It’s in pretty rough shape, having gotten really wet. He teased me about throwing it in the toilet, I had to explain I’d left it on a table at my hotel in India once when it got rained on.

His passage about having to be adventurous with food as part of the allure of travel is something I’ve always shared with him and appreciated his attempts to convince others. I was a real hit with my local friends in the Philippines because I had zero qualms trying balot, dinuguan, soup #9 and really like sisig. I wasn’t there to eat McDonald’s everyday.

People LOVE it when you want to experience and appreciate them, and their lives.  And the easy window into someone's life is food.  Think about how happy it makes you to share chips and queso, or breakfast tacos, with some poor yankee visiting town?

Everywhere we go, when we venture someplace off the beaten path to eat (or, even better, eat in someone's home), they grin with pride and joy when they share their dishes with us.  It's truly one of the greatest feelings in the world -- both to be a host and a guest -- at such an occasion.  Bourdain celebrated that over and over again.  We watched his Berlin episode last night, and I damn near cried.  My daughter loved him, and was quite upset when she found out about his death after her plane landed in Frankfurt.  She's spending a few weeks near Cologne, and then she's heading to meet a friend...in Berlin (her favorite city in the world).  I've told her to read up on the episode, and I know she will.  The world is full of people, places, and food, all of which we should experience as much as we can.  It might be the most important thing we can do.  Dammit, I'm still sad and upset.

• Like 3

This weekend Youtube was recommending me some videos he made over the years, including several interviews.  One was what appeared to be a PR tour for a book for a local tv show. Late 2016.   Believe this was the video where he mentions what he wants for a last meal.  Why I have strong feelings that he hurt many leaving the way he did, I do hope he was able to have that last meal.

Has there been any speculation on why he did this?  Kate Spade's husband mentioned that she had been battling severe depression for several years so one would assume that was a cause.  Or Robin Williams had realized that his life was deteriorating, both personally and professionally.  I haven't heard anyone say Bourdain was experiencing or facing problems.

21 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Speaking of that cookbook is great. Nothing fancy just some straight forward good quality food with a ton of snark thrown it. 

Yeah, got it for Christmas a couple years ago. Highly recommend.