Anthony Bourdain dead

Deej

OG is like that for a reason. And it's not a good reason.

https://www.eater.com/2011/12/21/6628039/the-olive-garden-has-no-choice-but-to-overcook-pasta

That mushy pasta, the uber conservative menu, the general lack of flavor, it's all focus grouped and tested repeatedly. 

I was in Korea and ended up with some folks who didn't want to eat Korean food. Got to the Seoul train station, which has twenty local restaurants, and we ate fucking Burger King. Megafacepalm. Anyway, I often lost sight of how other narrow other peoples lives has often been. I've really been privileged in both time and opportunity and disposition to do all kinds of really interesting things.

You people are nuts, there are good aspects of all menus. Outback has a solid chicken and salmon, OG has a solid salad, breadsticks, and soup, Hooters has ice cold beer and wings, etc. 

AB's net worth that was released with his will today is shockingly low for his years in the entertainment side of the business. I would imagine his rights and royalties have to be worth significantly more than estimated.

• Like 1

Man, yeah - $1.2mm.  Hard to believe, I'm not sure I believe that.

My fiancee's family is.... uhhh, very "salt of the earth".  And none of them will eat fucking anything.  It's annoying for me to have to deal with, but whatever.  Parents who don't make their kids eat different things are doing them a disservice for when they're adults and can't wrap their tastebuds around aioli.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My fiancee's family is.... uhhh, very "salt of the earth".  And none of them will eat fucking anything.  It's annoying for me to have to deal with, but whatever.  Parents who don't make their kids eat different things are doing them a disservice for when they're adults and can't wrap their tastebuds around aioli.

Wait, they can't wrap their heads around flavored mayo? 

I still haven't watched all of this seasons show. But holy hell the latest Hong Kong episode was a cluster fuck. I get he loves a certain director and what not but that dude was weird as fuck and they spent too much time allowing him to fuck up the episode. 

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Wonder how much his ex got in the divorce. I would have guessed he was worth at least $10mm

I don't think they ever actually got divorced.

The $1.2mm doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  Aside from his 10+ years being the star of his own TV shows, he's written like 10 books.  He's been famous for a long time.

I know he's stated he's terrible with money and didn't save anything until his mid-40's, but that was more than 15 years ago.  I wonder if he has been putting money away in a family trust, or in his daughter's name, or something that isn't visible when he dies because it's not his money to distribute.

13 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I still haven't watched all of this seasons show. But holy hell the latest Hong Kong episode was a cluster fuck. I get he loves a certain director and what not but that dude was weird as fuck and they spent too much time allowing him to fuck up the episode. 

His girlfriend directed that episode I believe which explains it.

22 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

yeah, that's the most recent example I can think of where both her and her brother were having a "this is so strong and weird!" reaction to something that seemed pretty banal.  Going with her to New Orleans was tough.  I need to try and do as much business travel as I can.

I think Willer has to be right about Bourdain and his money going into a trust or something.

you would assume that Bourdain would have owned part (all?) of his shows but maybe he was effectively a contract employee for the Food Network and CNN.  Work X of days, get X amount of pay.   Don't most TV personalities get smart and decide to take less up front to receive more profits as an exec producer?  Or partner with someone to create a production company.

The news stories report that court filings said he was worth the $1.2 million.  Could that possibly be the value when he originally wrote the will and not the value today?   I have no idea how any of this works.

TMZ:

Anthony Bourdain's will surprised lots of people when it was revealed he died with around $1.2 mil in assets, because everyone thought he was way richer ... turns out, he was.

We obtained a copy of Bourdain's will, and it appears he created a trust outside the will which contained an undisclosed amount of assets. It's very common for rich folk to create trusts outside of their will ... partly for tax purposes and partly for privacy.

As we reported, the will discloses Bourdain left behind $425k in cash, $250k in personal property, $35k in brokerage accounts and around $500k in royalties and residuals.

The will lists Ottavia Busia-Bourdain, his estranged wife, as trustee. The will was signed in 2016, after they had separated.

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

you would assume that Bourdain would have owned part (all?) of his shows but maybe he was effectively a contract employee for the Food Network and CNN.  Work X of days, get X amount of pay.   Don't most TV personalities get smart and decide to take less up front to receive more profits as an exec producer?  Or partner with someone to create a production company.

The news stories report that court filings said he was worth the $1.2 million.  Could that possibly be the value when he originally wrote the will and not the value today?   I have no idea how any of this works.

Throw in his books and he should be worth a hell of a lot more but we don't know how much he was paying his ex, if he was spending money on shit with no value, agents, publicists, manager,  etc. they all were taking a piece of the pie. 

4 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ:

Anthony Bourdain's will surprised lots of people when it was revealed he died with around $1.2 mil in assets, because everyone thought he was way richer ... turns out, he was.

We obtained a copy of Bourdain's will, and it appears he created a trust outside the will which contained an undisclosed amount of assets. It's very common for rich folk to create trusts outside of their will ... partly for tax purposes and partly for privacy.

As we reported, the will discloses Bourdain left behind $425k in cash, $250k in personal property, $35k in brokerage accounts and around $500k in royalties and residuals.

The will lists Ottavia Busia-Bourdain, his estranged wife, as trustee. The will was signed in 2016, after they had separated.

Well there you go. But $425K in cash? Come on Tony. 

15 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

OG is like that for a reason. And it's not a good reason.

https://www.eater.com/2011/12/21/6628039/the-olive-garden-has-no-choice-but-to-overcook-pasta

That mushy pasta, the uber conservative menu, the general lack of flavor, it's all focus grouped and tested repeatedly. 

I was in Korea and ended up with some folks who didn't want to eat Korean food. Got to the Seoul train station, which has twenty local restaurants, and we ate fucking Burger King. Megafacepalm. Anyway, I often lost sight of how other narrow other peoples lives has often been. I've really been privileged in both time and opportunity and disposition to do all kinds of really interesting things.

I can't think of anything that tilts me worse than being in an unfamiliar city with a group of people you know (business trip, conference, etc) and the group insisting on eating at TGI Friday's or some shit like that.

That's bad enough if it's domestic, but being in Seoul is a once-in-a-lifetime situation for most people. I'd be very tempted to just be the asshole and go eat by myself in that situation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I can't think of anything that tilts me worse than being in an unfamiliar city with a group of people you know (business trip, conference, etc) and the group insisting on eating at TGI Friday's or some shit like that.

That's bad enough if it's domestic, but being in Seoul is a once-in-a-lifetime situation for most people. I'd be very tempted to just be the asshole and go eat by myself in that situation.

Worked for a director that required us to eat at McDonalds when our team had to visit our London office.  He will then ridicule the person behind the counter for not putting enough ice in his coke.   I was always waiting for him to tell Londoners to speak American so he could understand them.  He was from Tennessee.    There is definitely some bad Brit food but you can do better than McDs off Leicester Square.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Yeah. Definitely peeling off the group in that situation.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I mentioned on the old site about a guy I worked a project with years ago who insisted on Outback Steakhouse at every business trip. Seattle, Miami, NYC, Southern California, doesn't matter. Where's the nearest Outback. We finally got him to break once and took him to a bad ass place in downtown Seattle. The whole time he was bitching about how expensive it was, and was still talking about fucking Outback. The worst part was, after that episode the rest of the group started appeasing that dum-dum and signing up for Outback for dinner after our meetings, so he wouldn't pitch a fit. I finally just started lying and saying I had family who lived in the town, and I'd go off on my own and find a real restaurant.

At this point in my career I have no problem telling a coworker or a group that I'm gonna bounce if they are all insisting on some chain or fast food garbage for dinner. If I have to travel across the country or around the world for work, at the very least I am going to get some good meals and experiences out of it when I'm off the clock.

Edited by TornACL

TMZ:

Wait so the estranged wife was trustee of the separate trust with undisclosed financial asset or she was the trustee of the will with 1.2 million in assets?

Because if the trust held the bulk of Bourdain’s earnings, why the fuck would the estranged wife control the trust?

Years ago, my company signed a multi-million dollar deal with Bear Stearns Mortgage.  We were working with the Las Colinas office. Some really great people there, and I enjoyed working with them.  

Once the deal was signed, we all flew out to Dallas for a meet and greet.  They took us to California Pizza Kitchen. Fucking California Pizza Kitchen.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

Years ago, my company signed a multi-million dollar deal with Bear Stearns Mortgage.  We were working with the Las Colinas office. Some really great people there, and I enjoyed working with them.  

Once the deal was signed, we all flew out to Dallas for a meet and greet.  They took us to California Pizza Kitchen. Fucking California Pizza Kitchen.

Had one of my teammates try to take me to Texas Roadhouse for bbq.

Sounds like they gave you what you deserved.

1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:
4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Sounds like they gave you what you deserved.

Gil Bang'd.

Olive Garden is fine.  I go at least a couple times a year because it's my 7 year old's favorite place.  Hell we class it up every year by eating there in formal attire before the daddy daughter dance.

As far as where people eat when they travel sometimes they just want familiar.  Every trip we take by about day 5 my wife makes us eat at a Mexican food place no matter where we are.  So we look up a place, it'll have good reviews, and we end up at Holy Frijoles in South Carolina and it's terrible.  Every time afterwards she admits it was a bad idea and we won't do it again, but then history repeats itself.  

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 5:20 PM, Brisketexan said:

My folks lived in Buenos Aires for several years.  A team of corporate auditors from US HQ came to town.  They left work promptly at 5:00, so they could eat dinner at 6:00, at Subway, and proudly proclaim "that's what's great about Subway -- it's the same all over the world."

Walking distance to some of the best beef and italian food in the world....and they voluntarily ate Subway.  That's who the bulk of America is.

But, for Grand Forks....Olive Garden may be a mighty fine option.  In flyover country, what jimmyjazz says is dead-on.  Often, when Chilis comes to town, it's a game-changer.  As someone who often has to travel to such locations, there isn't always a "beloved local favorite cafe that's a secret treasure."  Often, they're shitty, dirty, uninspiring places.  And the Chilis next to the hotel at least has a fresh salad or grilled salmon on the menu.

Hah, I’ll reverse it. Have a great friend from Argentina. We were in NYC together over a Valentine’s Day. I was there with my husband for Chinese New Year. He was there for his honeymoon with his new wife. We totally ate at the TGI Friday’s in Times Square, at his insistence. I tried and failed to talk them out of it, but they were intent. We are heading to vie is Aires later this year to we them again, and I don’t plan to eat at an American restaurant the entire time we are there. 

On 7/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, swraith said:

Wait so the estranged wife was trustee of the separate trust with undisclosed financial asset or she was the trustee of the will with 1.2 million in assets?

Because if the trust held the bulk of Bourdain’s earnings, why the fuck would the estranged wife control the trust?

Because they share the 11 year old daughter that is the primary beneficiary of the trust.

And maybe because AB was sane enough to realize his psycho occult cunt witch of a girlfriend would not have his daughter's best interests in mind.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 10:29 PM, Gil Bang said:

Well, at least CPK's food had more value than those BBB-packed MBS's Bear took a bath on in 2008.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:12 PM, tokamak said:

Look at it from the other point of view.  TGI Fridays (or Cane Creek FL or Manhattan KS or Santa Cruz CA) is a once-in-a-lifetime situation for other people. 

I got roped into TGI Fridays in Oslo because my then-colleagues were based in Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, Malaysia, etc, and for them TGI Fridays was a novelty.

The local TGI Fridays is a happy-hour hotspot because the local people think its "cool" because its american

Went to Singapore for 2 weeks during a disastrous SAP transition about 15 years ago.  Lived at the warehouse from 7am-10pm every day.  For lunch, I ate with the warehouse workers who got a non-descript rice, veggie, chicken/pork/shrimp lunch everyday.  It was glorious.  All of the Americans traveling with me insisted on McDonalds.  Mc-fucking-Donalds.  Had one of the warehouse managers tell me on the first day that they didn't buy enough of the rice lunches for me, so I handed him a S$100 bill and said I would need him to include me in his lunch purchase every day I was there.

That ended up being a fun trip.  The days sucked, but I would leave work and hang out at one of the all-night hawker villages for a couple of hours drinking Tiger beer, eating local food. and people watching.  5-6 hours of sleep every night, followed by a long day at the warehouse, and a few peaceful hours by myself at the hawkers stand with my Tiger, satay, gai lon, and murtabak.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  

• Like 3

Went to Singapore for 2 weeks during a disastrous SAP transition about 15 years ago.  Lived at the warehouse from 7am-10pm every day.  For lunch, I ate with the warehouse workers who got a non-descript rice, veggie, chicken/pork/shrimp lunch everyday.  It was glorious.  All of the Americans traveling with me insisted on McDonalds.  Mc-fucking-Donalds.  Had one of the warehouse managers tell me on the first day that they didn't buy enough of the rice lunches for me, so I handed him a S$100 bill and said I would need him to include me in his lunch purchase every day I was there.
That ended up being a fun trip.  The days sucked, but I would leave work and hang out at one of the all-night hawker villages for a couple of hours drinking Tiger beer, eating local food. and people watching.  5-6 hours of sleep every night, followed by a long day at the warehouse, and a few peaceful hours by myself at the hawkers stand with my Tiger, satay, gai lon, and murtabak.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  

Good god I hate SAP. I would rather buy everything on my card and expense it than use this shit. The only bigger waste is fucking ISNet.

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

ever think it was disastrous because its SAP?

I’m ashamed to say I’ve eaten KFC in a foreign country.  It was lunchtime, I was hungry, and fried chicken sounded good.  Ate local for every other meal on that trip.

I’ve done this twice - both times on a long trip to South Africa. Hit KFC once for a cheap lunch.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve eaten KFC in a foreign country.  It was lunchtime, I was hungry, and fried chicken sounded good.  Ate local for every other meal on that trip.

I did this multiple times when in the Philippines. The Quezon City call center that was home base had few options close enough and their cafeteria was kinda nasty. Luckily the menus at McDs, kfc, etc were different there with rice balls and other unique items from the states. It’s hard to find good grub when you’re working 9p-9a overnight.

Now when I was in makati, Alabang, Cebu, Boracay, Subic Bay or even Bacolod (yuck) I’d eat with the locals who had a few hole-in-the-wall favorites.

I hope you like pork because in the Phils that’s the prime meat to get. There’s a lot of nasty shit (dinuguan, soup #9, balut) they do with pig too but I tried it all. Dinuguan was the only I couldn’t stand but damn I love a good sisig. The No Reservations episode they roasted a whole pic IIRC.

On the other hand I never ate better in my life than I did in Penang. What a cross section of fresh seafood, Indian fare and more traditional Asian dishes. That place is a melting pot and I love it.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I did this multiple times when in the Philippines. The Quezon City call center that was home base had few options close enough and their cafeteria was kinda nasty. Luckily the menus at McDs, kfc, etc were different there with rice balls and other unique items from the states. It’s hard to find good grub when you’re working 9p-9a overnight.

Now when I was in makati, Alabang, Cebu, Boracay, Subic Bay or even Bacolod (yuck) I’d eat with the locals who had a few hole-in-the-wall favorites.

I hope you like pork because in the Phils that’s the prime meat to get. There’s a lot of nasty shit (dinuguan, soup #9, balut) they do with pig too but I tried it all. Dinuguan was the only I couldn’t stand but damn I love a good sisig. The No Reservations episode they roasted a whole pic IIRC.

On the other hand I never ate better in my life than I did in Penang. What a cross section of fresh seafood, Indian fare and more traditional Asian dishes. That place is a melting pot and I love it.

balut is love.  balut is life.

but yeah malaysia/singapore, and to a lesser extent thailand are food heaven

Man, yeah - $1.2mm.  Hard to believe, I'm not sure I believe that.

I make my six year old try stuff and she really does not like most of it. I’ll keep trying though without being too pushy. She’ll eventually expand her palate I assume but I’m not going to make it not fun by pushing too hard.

6 and 7 years olds gonna 6 and 7 year old.  But you're not going to end up with an adult child who refuses to eat fish, or can't find a thing on the menu that they can eat.  Or will never be able to fully experience other cultures because they need meatloaf or grilled chicken.

• Like 1

In May 2017 I went back to my alma mater to walk around one last time before they tore it down.  I met Principal Trihn, whom I had seen on the Parts Unknown "Houston" episode.  I told him that episode made me more proud to be a Robert E. Lee grad than at any point in the close to 40-years prior to it.  He said AB was sincere and kind.  The kids loved him.  They were all proud to have been a part of the episode. 

Mr. Trihn walked around with my 12-year old and I while we talked.  She was actually able to walk away with a couple ob boxes of fossils from the science labs that were not going to make the trip to the new school, and I landed two Lee basketball jerseys that were closer to my era than present day.  Fun day. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, conVINCEd said:

The greatest McDonald's meal I ever had in my life was in Rome. It was late, like 10PMish, I was hungry and it just happened to be right there. Hamburger right off the grill (microwave), fresh fries and Peroni on tap. 

It was funny/crazy to see a beer right next to the fast food cash register. 

But yes local for everything else.