Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

If Hollywood had made it, the landowner would have been a young hottie, she would have been banging the young and hot self-taught archaeologist, the actors in Detectorists who play Lance and Andy (and Simon and Garfunkel) would have had cameos/parts as the laborers/diggers, and they would have had it take place a year or so later, so that the archaeologist, the landowner, and his crew would have been dodging German bombs occasionally.  And the treasures would have been jubblie-trapped.  And he would have loaded the treasures in a truck, and on the drive to London, would have been relentlessly pursued by German fighters.

I presume this brilliant idea is already in production?

On 1/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, MissingInAction said:

Speaking of serial killers I always thought a good premise for a movie would be about a disgruntled tech support phone agent who tracks down every customer that was rude to him. He starts by Strangling them with a phone cord, and becomes more creative as the bodies start to stack up. He never gets caught.

you sound like donald kaufman.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

watched Spotlight. it won a whole bunch of awards and it has my main man John Slattery so i gave it a watch. i thought it was fine, nothing more. a good movie, but nothing special. 

i love spotlight. and despite the subject matter, it’s extremely rewatchable. 

directed by the guy who fabricated his stories in s5 of the wire. 

On 1/23/2021 at 9:58 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Enjoying this series currently.  I'm 3 episodes in.  Not reminding me of Stranger Things yet, but I could maybe see it in some of the quirky music choices at times.  This was the series I chose after "Alice in Borderland" season 1 which I really enjoyed.

Well, I got talked into watching "The Witcher," but after 3 episodes I kind of gave up on that one.

Yeah buddy, I went from Alice in Borderland to Sweet Home as well. Kind of just going down the rabbit hole now

I think I'm officially out of shit to watch on Netflix.  Last two series I watched that really captivated me were Queens Gambit and the Crown.  Everything since has been meh to just okay (The OA, The Stranger, Mindhunter...off the top of my head).  They're okay, they're just not the kind of show where I think to myself, "can't wait to watch the next one" type shows.  Probably have my bar set too high, but what else is out there that I'm missing?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I think I'm officially out of shit to watch on Netflix.  Last two series I watched that really captivated me were Queens Gambit and the Crown.  Everything since has been meh to just okay (The OA, The Stranger, Mindhunter...off the top of my head).  They're okay, they're just not the kind of show where I think to myself, "can't wait to watch the next one" type shows.  Probably have my bar set too high, but what else is out there that I'm missing?

Me too, have started watching foreign made shows with subtitles after making it through most English made.

Watching Reckoning right now and probably would have bailed after a couple episodes if there were obvious better alternatives. Extremely soap opera-y where everyone is very attractive with perfect hair.

Recently watched Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhall and Rene Russo. Gyllenhall killed it, his character comes off as genuinely sociopathic and it's very unsettling. I was surprised that he never got any awards nominations or notice for the role, I would have had him in over Cumberbatch from Imitation Game at the very least.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Recently watched Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhall and Rene Russo. Gyllenhall killed it, his character comes off as genuinely sociopathic and it's very unsettling. I was surprised that he never got any awards nominations or notice for the role, I would have had him in over Cumberbatch from Imitation Game at the very least.

giphy.gif

Pretty funny and fitting that the "Ramirez" name in the Night Stalker case was obtained by a detective pretty casually physically assaulting one of Ramirez's friends (who wasn't being charged with anything) after forcing him into the backseat of his car. And the detective is still bragging about it 35 years later. 

It was "worth it" in this instance, but definitely makes you wonder how often that occurs.

Watch any cop show on tv and you see will multiple instances of a cop's illegal behavior.  My daughter and I are fans of Blue Bloods and I don't think there is an episode where Danny doesn't smack around some suspect, or at least conduct an illegal search.  I think it's really telling that these are considered mainstream activities by law enforcement.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty funny and fitting that the "Ramirez" name in the Night Stalker case was obtained by a detective pretty casually physically assaulting one of Ramirez's friends (who wasn't being charged with anything) after forcing him into the backseat of his car. And the detective is still bragging about it 35 years later. 

It was "worth it" in this instance, but definitely makes you wonder how often that occurs.

I found it interesting that Dianne Feinstein almost blew the case. So many twists and turns in that story.

On 1/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, atomheartbevo said:

My unofficial/anecdotal evidence among other husbands I know is that Bridgerton is definitely firing some wimmen up.

Based on watching the first two episodes with the wife last night, and the following action in the bedroom, I can attest to this statement.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, aggie08 said:

Watched the first 2 eps last night.  Damn, it brings back memories.  It was freaky back then, because they all seemed so random, no typical victim profile, or even location.  He was all over the place.  People were pretty edgy as this got worse, as I recall.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Watched the first 2 eps last night.  Damn, it brings back memories.  It was freaky back then, because they all seemed so random, no typical victim profile, or even location.  He was all over the place.  People were pretty edgy as this got worse, as I recall.

Wish the citizens had lynched him.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:02 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Started watching The Blacklist... I don't know why I waited this long to watch it. Incredible show. Only starting season 3 and already in top 5 all time series for me.

Really?  That’s a bold statement.  Can anyone else back this up?  I just watched the first 5 mins of the first episode and it felt pretty generic 90s network TV drama to me.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, landman said:

Based on watching the first two episodes with the wife last night, and the following action in the bedroom, I can attest to this statement.

You haven’t even gotten to the good stuff yet.  End of episode 5 on should get her real worked up.  Apparently chicks dig that main dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Really?  That’s a bold statement.  Can anyone else back this up?  I just watched the first 5 mins of the first episode and it felt pretty generic 90s network TV drama to me.

It is absolutely generic and formulaic. Without James Spader it would have been canceled after the 1st season.

Anyone that has it in their "top 5 all time" needs a helmet and supervision around sharp objects.

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Not top 5 but worth watching till about season 3 or 4 maybe.  Eventually the story arc seems to go nuts.... I figured the head writer made enough money he wasn't ever not on coke.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but The Brooklyn Saints is a really good docuseries about youth football in Brooklyn. It's essentially the antithesis of Friday night Tykes. 

Watching that now. I only ever saw about 2 FNT episodes, the adults were that unbearable. The football quality in the Brooklyn show is 1000x worse, but it’s a way better show overall. You can tell a few of those kids will go far in life if they stay the course. Well-rounded, smart, with take no shit attitudes. 

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Watching that now. I only ever saw about 2 FNT episodes, the adults were that unbearable. The football quality in the Brooklyn show is 1000x worse, but it’s a way better show overall. You can tell a few of those kids will go far in life if they stay the course. Well-rounded, smart, with take no shit attitudes. 

Haha yeah you can definitely tell their league is more about keeping the kids busy and out of trouble than anything else. The kids are so easy to root for success. I also like how all the parents seem so focused on their educations as well.