Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

2 hours ago, BNB said:

Sent my email

On behalf of the City of Austin and Austin Water, we would like to provide the following information.

City-wide boil water notice and emergency water use restrictions issued

Austin Water has issued a city-wide boil water notice for all customers of Austin Water. The notice is being issued as the utility works to stabilize the water treatment system.

In addition to the boil notice, emergency water use restrictions are in place that limit outdoor water use.

There is an urgent need for customers to reduce water use. Austin Water treatment plants can currently produce approximately 105 million gallons of water per day. Current customer use is about 120 million gallons per day. Water reservoir levels are reaching minimal levels. Immediate action is needed to avoid running out of water. This is an emergency situation. All residents are asked to reduce their personal consumption by 15-20 percent.

What can customers do?

Reduce water use as much as possible to ensure adequate supply is available for basic needs, fire protection, public health and safety.

Boil water intended for consumption. To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking and for making ice should be boiled and cooled prior to consumption. The water should be brought to a vigorous, rolling boil for three minutes. In lieu of boiling water, you may use bottled water.

Businesses should not use drinking fountains or soda fountains that rely on tap water.

During this period of emergency restrictions and until further notice, all outdoor water use is prohibited. Customers may not:

Use water for irrigation or testing of irrigation equipment

Wash vehicles, including at commercial car wash facilities

Wash pavement or other surfaces

Add water to a pool or spa

Conduct foundation watering, or

Operate an ornamental fountain or pond, other than aeration necessary to support aquatic life 

Violations of these restrictions should be reported to Austin 3-1-1. Austin Water appreciates your support in reducing water use to help stabilize Austin’s water treatment plants.

The Austin-Travis County Emergency Operations Center will remain active through the remainder of this situation and will be providing updates as conditions change.

You may also receive text or email notifications from the City of Austin and the Capital Area Council of Governments asking you to conserve and boil water.

For more information visit www.austintexas.gov/boilH2O.
[https://ci3]This email was sent by: Austin Energy 
721 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX, 78704 US 

Privacy Policy 

Update Profile       Manage Subscriptions      Unsubscribe

So... reading this... I’m assuming the 105mil/ per day treated output is a reduced number?  What is normal capacity?

also, is the 120mil in daily usage a normal figure?  Can’t imagine a reason this would be above normal. 

let the dogs drink rain water.

well Surly mafia, guess we know where there is bottled water. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Animal Center, Austin Pets Alive! and the Humane Society of Austin have all asked for help as the city of Austin goes under its first citywide boil water notice.

Austin Pets Alive! says it does not currently have an adequate way of boiling all the water needed to care for animals at the shelter, located at 1156 W. Cesar Chavez St. near downtown Austin.

APA! is asking people to donate bottled water — or water from outside Austin — to the shelter. Donations can be brought to the area outside Building C, its medical clinic.

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Animal Center, Austin Pets Alive! and the Humane Society of Austin have all asked for help as the city of Austin goes under its first citywide boil water notice.

Austin Pets Alive! says it does not currently have an adequate way of boiling all the water needed to care for animals at the shelter, located at 1156 W. Cesar Chavez St. near downtown Austin.

APA! is asking people to donate bottled water — or water from outside Austin — to the shelter. Donations can be brought to the area outside Building C, its medical clinic.

This has to be a joke.  If not, what a world we live in?

33 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Fuck that. My dog is drinking tap water. I’ve seen him eat dead birds and cat shit. He’ll be fine.

My dogs eat their own shit and the shit of other dogs. I'm sure a little fecal matter in the tap water ain't gonna hurt them. 

• Like 2

In thinking about this, if they’ve been struggling to maintain capacity over the past week, and yeah, I’m having a hard time believing this happened so fast that they spring it on us yesterday morning out of nowhere, then either the conspiracy theorists are right and they were waiting until the race was over and people left.   

Or they were worried a lot of stupid people in Austin would start filling up bathtubs, etc. creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of water shortage. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

This is absurd. Somebody give them a barrel and a hose to connect to their gutter.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Those  people begging for bottled water for dogs and cats are the same ones that would be irate at you for using a plastic straw.  

Someone get them a used oven out of the tens of thousands of flip homes in Austin so they can 'have an adequate way' of boiling all their needed water.  

• Like 2

Hell, the madness extends beyond Austin.  I stopped at a Sonic in Pflugerville (the city has taken great pains to assure everyone that the water is safe) and the Sonic had a limited menu and no fountain drinks because of the water boil notice.  How hard is it for people to actually think and not be dumbasses?

6 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

What? You want them to boil the fountain drinks? Think again smooth ranger 

This is the biggest catastrophe for me.  Every day I go start out work by hitting the fountain at the local Apu store.  With the boil water notice, they had to shut down the fountains, and I'm relegated to - I know, my god the humanity - buy bottled soda!  I don't know if I can survive.

there-was-a-small-earthquake-in-melbourn

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Those  people begging for bottled water for dogs and cats are the same ones that would be irate at you for using a plastic straw.  

Someone get them a used oven out of the tens of thousands of flip homes in Austin so they can 'have an adequate way' of boiling all their needed water.  

I completely thought this response was going a different direction.  Not sure if disappointed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

This is the biggest catastrophe for me.  Every day I go start out work by hitting the fountain at the local Apu store.  With the boil water notice, they had to shut down the fountains, and I'm relegated to - I know, my god the humanity - buy bottled soda!  I don't know if I can survive.

there-was-a-small-earthquake-in-melbourn

We have a restaurant iced tea machine at work that has been dormant since Monday.  This is the worst.

How was this not an issue a couple of years ago when Travis filled up in like a day or two?  Because the dam wasn't opened?

It's a bit silly that flooding and Mansfield being open could significantly disrupt the water supply of a major city for 2 weeks.  They get refineries up and running faster than that after a major hurricane.  

Just now, Deej said:

Good thing we didn't use that quarter of a billion dollars we put into the library on something sensible like upgrading our water processing, you know, since 2 million people live here, now. 

Oh great.  Another killjoy focusing on something as boring as water when we've built a Taj Mahal for the homeless complete with a restaurant, bar, disco, cryotherapy booths, a petting zoo and other necessities.