American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

a guy dies and manages to get under the skin of a bunch of people who never knew him.  
cannibals.
I live 5 miles from a major airport and can only recall seeing airplanes a few times.  Given that they are 35 miles from a city the chances are they don't see modern tech very often.
You probably don’t notice them any more.
I hope we ridicule these people and some kind of law is past making it illegal to go to the island.  
more laws?
It is already illegal to go to the island. It wont stop people who want to go there. 
So laws don’t work?
How trite and predictable would that be, I think we're all a bit more sophisticated that that here....right ?

Finally read everything and wasn’t disappointed.

I understand the concept to leave these groups alone because have little to zero immunities to common diseases,  not to mention the centuries of sad history of western culture “civilizing” native populations, but what is the long term plan with North Sentinel?  Leave them alone until they may die off?  Let them stay in the Stone Age for another 500 years?   This group hasnt learned how to make fire!  

You could argue it’s just as cruel to not give them access to simple improvements like antibiotics or hygiene knowledge.  I get they literally fight off contact but that doesn’t mean they all feel that way. 

Tough question.  Unfrotunately you can’t understand what that group wants or needs unless you force change.   

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I understand the concept to leave these groups alone because have little to zero immunities to common diseases,  not to mention the centuries of sad history of western culture “civilizing” native populations, but what is the long term plan with North Sentinel?  Leave them alone until they may die off?  Let them stay in the Stone Age for another 500 years?   This group hasnt learned how to make fire!  

You could argue it’s just as cruel to not give them access to simple improvements like antibiotics or hygiene knowledge.  I get they literally fight off contact but that doesn’t mean they all feel that way. 

Tough question.  Unfrotunately you can’t understand what that group wants or needs unless you force change.   

If they wanted to go somewhere else, they had a perfectly good kayak at their disposal.

Disagree with the last statement about 'forcing change.'  Who the fuck are we to 'help' them?  Why do we think they need said 'help?'

Maybe it’s nobler to do nothing and allow them to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

This is such a condescending western comment.

“How do you know you don’t want rape unless I rape you first?!?!”

You’re taking my statement and jumping 10 steps ahead.  I never said that we should kill them in order to “civilize” them.   I’m just arguing that leaving them alone can also be cruel by depriving them of knowledge we could share with them.   

On the main island there is another previously uncontacted tribute called the jarawa.  India’s laws are to leave them alone as well if they want to be left alone.  However they are practically treated like free roaming zoo animals.  Tour operators take buses through their land, on the basis of a tourist spot on the other side of their land.  In reality all of the tourists only want to see the naked “savages” who wait at the tour stops to get handouts.  Very sad.

but I stand by my question of what do you do with a group of people that don’t even know that it’s possible to make fire.  Which is odd because fire making would have existed by the time they landed on that island.  It predates Homo sapiens leaving Africa.   I guess they forgot or lost the knowledge along the way.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You’re taking my statement and jumping 10 steps ahead.  I never said that we should kill them in order to “civilize” them.   I’m just arguing that leaving them alone can also be cruel by depriving them of knowledge we could share with them.   

On the main island there is another previously uncontacted tribute called the jarawa.  India’s laws are to leave them alone as well if they want to be left alone.  However they are practically treated like free roaming zoo animals.  Tour operators take buses through their land, on the basis of a tourist spot on the other side of their land.  In reality all of the tourists only want to see the naked “savages” who wait at the tour stops to get handouts.  Very sad.

but I stand by my question of what do you do with a group of people that don’t even know that it’s possible to make fire.  Which is odd because fire making would have existed by the time they landed on that island.  It predates Homo sapiens leaving Africa.   I guess they forgot or lost the knowledge along the way.

The fact that they don't seem to make fire doesn't mean that they don't know how to make fire.  They may not use fire because they are terrified of giving away their location to outsiders. 

If they are just eating fish and fruit, there is no real need to cook anyway. And since it is hot as fuck there year round, there is no need to make fire for warmth either.

18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The fact that they don't seem to make fire doesn't mean that they don't know how to make fire.  They may not use fire because they are terrified of giving away their location to outsiders. 

If they are just eating fish and fruit, there is no real need to cook anyway. And since it is hot as fuck there year round, there is no need to make fire for warmth either.

i read somewhere that they have saved fire from lightning strikes before, but not sure how anybody knows that.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How the hell is India, a country where people regularly shit in the streets, is supposed to get the Sentinalese up to speed? Maybe their government realizes their limitations and have decided to just say "fuck it" and leave them alone. They're better off living in relative isolation than being turned into begging zoo animals.

20 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

They don't need shit from us.  Period.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Nada.  Zip.

Let 'em the fuck alone.  It's just as arrogant to think our "civilized" medicines and tech and all that shit are as "beneficial" to them as the dude bringing Baby Jeesus.

I agree,  but damn a world without weed, bourbon, pizza ?  I don't wanna live in it...

I’m just curious what India’s long term plan is for the north sentinel islanders.  On the main islands, the previously uncontacted people interact at some level now with modern people.  They have the ability to decide to increase their contact and knowledge.  The north sentinel islanders don’t even have that option.   

I’m just curious what India’s long term plan is for the north sentinel islanders.  On the main islands, the previously uncontacted people interact at some level now with modern people.  They have the ability to decide to increase their contact and knowledge.  The north sentinel islanders don’t even have that option.   

You want to force them to discover a world that contains Oklahoma and Aggies.

You're a dick.
  • Like 2