Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Aaron should change his name to Benjamin, dude must be rolling 1%er style now.

Lol!   I actually coughed up the $2 extra bucks and bought a bag over the weekend.   And I’m here to report it’s legit.  I lit a fire about 1:30 this afternoon and my pit barrel smoker is still hot enough at this hour (10 PM) to make some burgers.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 7/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, Horn_Spanker said:

Thread title appropriate!

Found two mouse turds in a HEB can of refried beans.  Meticulously searched all of the can, and these two were the only ones.1512525044_HEB2.thumb.JPG.8e536b1f4f5da55606b29840f897950d.JPG1194830547_HEB1.thumb.JPG.d3d6eaeff9f2afe93f9182a7ce93b03c.JPG 

So how did they taste?  Complement to the bean flavor or a stark contrast?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am in Florida at the moment and had my first experience at a Publix. While it’s a nice grocery store, it is nowhere in the ballpark of HEB. Not sure if it was this thread or another thread that someone tried to float the idea that they were equals. Wrong.

I lived in Fort Myers for 3 years before coming back to TX. Publix does a lot of things right and they are on every freakin’ corner and generally a very sane, organized place to shop.

Is it HEB?  No. But things could have been a lot worse. 

14 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Publix reminds me of less shitty Randalls. The meat dept sucked but the fried chicken was good and they make a kick ass key lime pie. 

Kinda weird, but I had a large Publix 2 miles north of me, and a smaller Publix 2 miles south of me.  The larger Publix was great for the bulk shopping, and their Pharmacy and deli was great, but they were complete dickheads at their meat and seafood counters.  The smaller Publix south of me was a great pop-in-for-a-few-items store, but both their meat and seafood counters were run by managers that actually gave a shit about their customers.  I gave them a lot of business, even with holiday special-orders and custom-cuts, and they delivered every time.

It was a weird difference for two stores with completely different sizes and layouts 4 miles from each other.  

A 50,000' Whole Foods opened up right next to the smaller, southern Publix a month before I moved.  Kinda wanna see how that's playing out in the neighborhood.