Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

China, Russia, India and the United States are the world’s top potato producers. But last year, U.S. farmers had to destroy a glut of millions of potatoes after lockdowns and stay-at-home orders led to a steep decline in demand, including from restaurants. The U.S. potato crop declined by 2% in 2021, according to a November report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

I haven't seen a shortage of french fries at restaurants.  But I've noticed low to no supplies of them at HEB's since mid-December.

Link

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not a single french fry to be found in the frozen section.  My HEB in Allandale has been cleaned out for more than a week.

The Brodie HEB had some frozen potato products today, but they've been completely wiped out the last two times I was there. My kids love those hash brown patties for breakfast and they're almost never in stock. I've got one small package of the Ore-Ida brand in the freezer. Strangely, we think the Hill Country Fair brand has brown patties are superior to the name brand Ore-Ida ones. They also had egg noodles today, but have been sold out of them for the last six weeks, roughly. WTF? 

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The Brodie HEB had some frozen potato products today, but they've been completely wiped out the last two times I was there. My kids love those hash brown patties for breakfast and they're almost never in stock. I've got one small package of the Ore-Ida brand in the freezer. Strangely, we think the Hill Country Fair brand has brown patties are superior to the name brand Ore-Ida ones. They also had egg noodles today, but have been sold out of them for the last six weeks, roughly. WTF? 

I prefer HEB by a huge margin, obviously.

However, any time there are shortages of stuff at HEB, I go to the Randall's that's actually twice as close to my house, and they always have it.  I can also get in and out of that store in about 3 minutes.

Mainly because, Randall's sucks*, and nobody ever wants to shop there.

Edit: * Except for their fried chicken, which is actually pretty good.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Randall’s isn’t a bad store except for the fact that their prices are probably 30% higher than H‑E‑B or Kroger. 

Of the two that I ever visit, their selection is also significantly inferior, and their produce is exceptionally terrible compared to every nearby HEB.

But they have yet to run out of egg noodles and frozen fried taters, so there you have it.

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Randall’s isn’t a bad store except for the fact that their prices are probably 30% higher than H‑E‑B or Kroger. 

And they’re rarely adequately staffed. Usually there’s at most two check out lines open.

I’m convinced that Randall’s is just one big money laundering front.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

And they’re rarely adequately staffed. Usually there’s at most two check out lines open.

But that's the genius of Randall's.  Sure, there might only be two check out lines open, but there are only four customers in the store, so it all works out.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

However, any time there are shortages of stuff at HEB, I go to the Randall's that's actually twice as close to my house, and they always have it.  I can also get in and out of that store in about 3 minutes.

Randall’s fried chicken is in our Sunday lunch rotation.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Randall’s fried chicken is in our Sunday lunch rotation.

Pro tip: order the 50 piece in advance and with a Randall's card it comes out to $47. Great for feeding multiple folks cheap, or if you a great big fat person, lunch for one. 

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

If there are any shortages at HEB right now due to supply chain issue, then the shit is real with the lack of availability from the sources.    They have one of the best distribution system in the grocery industry and they've proved this pre and post natural disasters.   All while Wal Mart who for some reason to this day still gets praise for their distribution systems is still trying to find their stores on the map or what is left of them.  

On 1/21/2022 at 6:23 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

That's fair, but there is no rotisserie chicken that is better than fried chicken.  Let's make HEB fried chicken happen!

I dont know about that, there used be one of those walmart neighborhood markets in Spring Branch and they had a honey jalapeno rotisserie that was amazing. Never seen that flavor anywhere else

Has anyone else noticed that HEB's Restaurant Style tortilla chips lately are crazy salty? I love salt, use it excessively in all my cooking, I've eaten those chips before but the last last couple of times I've brought home a bag of these, both the wife and I have been reaching for the water and salsa to neutralize the salt on our tongues. 

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that HEB's Restaurant Style tortilla chips lately are crazy salty? I love salt, use it excessively in all my cooking, I've eaten those chips before but the last last couple of times I've brought home a bag of these, both the wife and I have been reaching for the water and salsa to neutralize the salt on our tongues. 

They have 3 iterations at mine and Fud’s HEB. Chile limon, sea salt, and original. Sea salt > everything else.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:04 PM, 3adays said:

These are solid. They also make a Chile rellenos that I like even better

image.jpeg.0eafa6d6a4e2ba7dee0ef29f1e7f7354.jpeg

I was gonna pick a few of these up until I read the label. Holy shit, that’s a heart attack in a bowl. 

Not criticizing your meal choices. Just surprised at the outright depravity of the product. 

I was intrigued by this, but someone else in this or another thread, maybe @Brisketexan, said it was just meh.

It’s solid in Crockpot and served with chips. A little stock to give it your preferred consistency. Makes a great Noach but so accompaniment is necessary. (Heat)

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I was intrigued by this, but someone else in this or another thread, maybe @Brisketexan, said it was just meh.

It’s good for what it is, prepackaged and not fresh queso. Better than anything I’ve had out of a jar on the shelf.  Their ChoriQueso is good too. Is it better than something you or I could make from scratch?  No way, but the appeal of not having to go through all that hassle and being able to just pop it in the oven cannot be overstated.

• Hook 'Em 1