Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

14 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Since you brought it up...pappasitos salsa is average at best.   For premium prices,  don't give me inferior salsa.   And their chips always need salt.   

Holy shit.  This may be the best and most appropriate post in this thread.  Their salsa is out goddamn standing.  And every bowel of chips no matter where they are from needs salt. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Holy shit.  This may be the best and most appropriate post in this thread.  Their salsa is out goddamn standing.  And every bowel of chips no matter where they are from needs salt. 

Stop eating chips out of people’s bowels and maybe you won’t need to add salt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Hate said:

I like the chicken fajitas at Pappasito's.  I put some rice, chicken, cheese, pico, butter sauce, and salsa in one of those tortillas.  I said goddamn, goddamn, goddamn.  Their rice sucks on it's own though.  It has a decent flavor but it is always dry. 

If that is what you like get them on Wednesdays.  It’s a little cheaper.

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I like the chicken fajitas at Pappasito's.  I put some rice, chicken, cheese, pico, butter sauce, and salsa in one of those tortillas.  I said goddamn, goddamn, goddamn.  Their rice sucks on it's own though.  It has a decent flavor but it is always dry. 

Yes. These are the second best chicken fajitas in town. There’s certainly some independent joint off long point that does it better, but I haven’t found them yet. 

6 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Since you brought it up...pappasitos salsa is average at best.   For premium prices,  don't give me inferior salsa.   And their chips always need salt.   

Wrong.gif

6 hours ago, Hate said:

Correct. Love their salsa. It’s pretty unique, chunky with lots of flavor. Very different from most watery bland ass salsas you can get served elsewhere. I think the only better red salsa in Houston is from El Palenque. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. These are the second best chicken fajitas in town. There’s certainly some independent joint off long point that does it better, but I haven’t found them yet. 

Wrong.gif

Correct. Love their salsa. It’s pretty unique, chunky with lots of flavor. Very different from most watery bland ass salsas you can get served elsewhere. I think the only better red salsa in Houston is from El Palenque. 

Hold up. You just bragged on Sito’s salsa while accusing others of being “watery”? Is this real life? I worked at Sito’s. I made salsa as my pre-shift side work there on the reg. Waiting tables there was my favorite job ever. I still love eating there.

They have shitty, watery salsa. The best salsa, and salsa verde, in the world continues to be served at Casa Ole, hands down. Queso too. A litany of other choices follow and then near the bottom is Pappasito’s chips, salsa and queso. Their food is excellent in spite of this egregious shortcoming. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hold up. You just bragged on Sito’s salsa while accusing others of being “watery”? Is this real life? I worked at Sito’s. I made salsa as my pre-shift side work there on the reg. Waiting tables there was my favorite job ever. I still love eating there.

They have shitty, watery salsa. The best salsa, and salsa verde, in the world continues to be served at Casa Ole, hands down. Queso too. A litany of other choices follow and then near the bottom is Pappasito’s chips, salsa and queso. Their food is excellent in spite of this egregious shortcoming. 

1) I specified red salsa. So congrats on your salsa verde opinion at casa ole. 
2) yeah, pappasitos salsa isn’t what I’d consider watery. It has discernible chunks of vegetables on it. To me watery salsa is shit when you dip your chip in it, your chip comes out with a barely discernible layer of red liquid. See, Tony’s on Ella. 

image.jpeg.5d06567f8ea583741ffd0a32a8744b2c.jpeg

So yeah. I don’t think pappasitos is watery. But yes, the chips are definitely trash. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

100% agree. That green sauce at Casa Ole is straight up amazing. Did you used to go to Casa Ole during lunch and just eat chips/salsa/queso down in Galveston?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

1) I specified red salsa. So congrats on your salsa verde opinion at casa ole. 
2) yeah, pappasitos salsa isn’t what I’d consider watery. It has discernible chunks of vegetables on it. To me watery salsa is shit when you dip your chip in it, your chip comes out with a barely discernible layer of red liquid. See, Tony’s on Ella. 

image.jpeg.5d06567f8ea583741ffd0a32a8744b2c.jpeg

So yeah. I don’t think pappasitos is watery. But yes, the chips are definitely trash. 

You have the reading comprehension skills of a dead marmot. I was saying both salsa types at the Casa are the balls. Chunks of vegetables does not eliminate the watery nature of Sito’s salsa. It’s mildly warmed garbage, like your general food takes. 

Introducing Tony’s to any food conversation delegitimizes the discussion. That place is secretly kept open by a government agency in order to keep an accurate count of the idiot population of the greater Houston area. 

Also, another thing about Sito’s, while we’re on the subject - while their normal chicken quesadillas are typical dry and bland crap like every other restaurant’s chicken quesadillas, if you can get them to substitute their shredded chicken (used for tacos and enchiladas), you’ll be eating the best chicken quesadillas ever made. 

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Hamburger Helper is glorious. Most flavors, that is. 

I survived off Panburger Partner and Tuna Partner (Hy-Vee knock offs) for several years.  I could eat for a couple days off a batch and dress it up to be relatively interesting.  At least by 20 year old drunk-ass standards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I survived off Panburger Partner and Tuna Partner (Hy-Vee knock offs) for several years.  I could eat for a couple days off a batch and dress it up to be relatively interesting.  At least by 20 year old drunk-ass standards.

My mom used to throw a can of corn into it to make it have more filler for cheap and to last longer. 

• Like 1

You have the reading comprehension skills of a dead marmot. I was saying both salsa types at the Casa are the balls. Chunks of vegetables does not eliminate the watery nature of Sito’s salsa. It’s mildly warmed garbage, like your general food takes. 
Introducing Tony’s to any food conversation delegitimizes the discussion. That place is secretly kept open by a government agency in order to keep an accurate count of the idiot population of the greater Houston area. 
Also, another thing about Sito’s, while we’re on the subject - while their normal chicken quesadillas are typical dry and bland crap like every other restaurant’s chicken quesadillas, if you can get them to substitute their shredded chicken (used for tacos and enchiladas), you’ll be eating the best chicken quesadillas ever made. 

Why would you ever order a quesadilla past the age of 12? And their salsa is out standing as are their chips. Order the mixed fajitas and add the order of shrimp brochette to it and you can die happy afterwards.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My mom used to throw a can of corn into it to make it have more filler for cheap and to last longer. 

I've seen that card played many a time.  In my bachelor days, I'd crumble up saltine crackers and toss them in for a similar effect.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Making them at home is fine, especially if you have leftovers. I just can’t imagine anyone over the age of 12 ordering them at a restaurant, especially at Pappasito’s.

Every now and then I like to order the appetizer platter as a meal.  Flautas, nachos, and quesadillas are all good.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Eat your vegetables, little BOW!

I you want to fancy-up HH, just add your favorite spice mix like Kirkland Signatue Rustic Tuscan (my favorite) or Emeril’s Original Essence.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That green sauce at Casa Ole is straight up amazing. 

I make a green sauce like that all the time...

In a food processor:

• 3 avocados
  • 3 jalapenos
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • juice of 1 lime
  • top of a bunch of cilantro
  • small container of sour cream
  • salt to taste

It kicks so much ass.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I make a green sauce like that all the time...

In a food processor:

• 3 avocados
  • 3 jalapenos
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • juice of 1 lime
  • top of a bunch of cilantro
  • small container of sour cream
  • salt to taste

It kicks so much ass.

Am definitely going to try this.  This sounds like it would just slam as a chip dip.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

To all the Pappasito's detractors, I would recommend eating at Little Pappasito's on Richmond. 

Ftr, I ain't a Pappasito's detractor even though I wrote apparent tex mex blasphemy---one that I will fall on a sword for btw.  Their butter sauce + fajitas, tortilla soup, and queso are all legit and regulars for me. 

It's just that the salsa is marginally better than taco bell packets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah- the only way that their salsa is even edible is if you strain out all the water yourself at the table. That’s a pretty bizarre take. And I too say that as a lover of papasitos 

Depending on the mood, we’d eat it on tortillas or over tater tots to doctor it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Why would you ever order a quesadilla past the age of 12? And their salsa is out standing as are their chips. Order the mixed fajitas and add the order of shrimp brochette to it and you can die happy afterwards.

10 hours ago, Hate said:

Making them at home is fine, especially if you have leftovers. I just can’t imagine anyone over the age of 12 ordering them at a restaurant, especially at Pappasito’s.

First of all, why is 12 some sort of cut off? Are you alleging that people suddenly get smarter and develop better taste buds as teenagers? 

Beyond that, I was giving a pro-tip and explained the difference in deliciousness and typical bland crap that comprises most quesadillas the world over. I didn’t say that I eat them all the time. 

Tex-mex, like pussy and unlike Tony’s, is so good that the worst I ever had was so good I couldn’t stand it. Quesadillas aren’t a go-to for me, but the lunch special at Sito’s that also comes with a taco will hit the spot and you should try it. Ask for the shredded chicken, and layer on the sour cream, guac and pickled jalapeños with each bite. That ain’t a fucking 12 year old’s dish. 

Of course fajitas and the brochette shrimp are terrific, but mix it up every now and then. At least, when eating there almost daily because I worked there, you kind of had to mix it up. 

For two years of college, I paid my way for everything by working Monday night, doubles on Tuesday and Thursday, and Wednesday night, while picking up as many weekend shifts as I could on weekends when I didn’t have my daughter. The mid-doubles meal of tortillas, rice, beans, montequilla, and salsa fed me for free like 2-5 times a week as my only meal. Walked out of UT debt free with that schedule and eating program. I still enjoy that meal if I can put it together as leftovers at home. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

First of all, why is 12 some sort of cut off? Are you alleging that people suddenly get smarter and develop better taste buds as teenagers? 

Beyond that, I was giving a pro-tip and explained the difference in deliciousness and typical bland crap that comprises most quesadillas the world over. I didn’t say that I eat them all the time. 

Tex-mex, like pussy and unlike Tony’s, is so good that the worst I ever had was so good I couldn’t stand it. Quesadillas aren’t a go-to for me, but the lunch special at Sito’s that also comes with a taco will hit the spot and you should try it. Ask for the shredded chicken, and layer on the sour cream, guac and pickled jalapeños with each bite. That ain’t a fucking 12 year old’s dish. 

Of course fajitas and the brochette shrimp are terrific, but mix it up every now and then. At least, when eating there almost daily because I worked there, you kind of had to mix it up. 

For two years of college, I paid my way for everything by working Monday night, doubles on Tuesday and Thursday, and Wednesday night, while picking up as many weekend shifts as I could on weekends when I didn’t have my daughter. The mid-doubles meal of tortillas, rice, beans, montequilla, and salsa fed me for free like 2-5 times a week as my only meal. Walked out of UT debt free with that schedule and eating program. I still enjoy that meal if I can put it together as leftovers at home. 

The only difference between a fajita and a quesadilla is the tortilla is toasted for a quesadilla.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, Hate said:

Why would you ever order a quesadilla past the age of 12?

Because they taste good.

For a more practical reason, sometimes, for work related stuff, I get dragged to subpar Tex-Mex restaurants because the idiots that plan these gatherings think it's fantastic.  The quesadilla is always a safe bet when it comes to something one of these subpar places can't screw up.  I have been at the table with people who realize the subparness of it all, but who have strayed from my formula and ended up ordering things that look positively gross when they hit the table.  Meanwhile, I'm happily munching away on a quesadilla and not wasting much money to do it.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Stouts all suck. Beer should be refreshing, not something you have to chew. 

I thought it was a perhaps fluke the first time, but I drank just one from different brand the other night and spent the rest of the night blowing my toilet to smithereens. 

On the fajita topic: Establishments that use white meat instead of thigh for their chicken fajitas should be banished to the shadow realm.

48 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Because they taste good.

Nope. Surly is the end-all, be-all for deciding what is and isn't appropriate for adults.  Sorry to break it to you.

Just kidding, I think it's fucking hilarious when grown men are so concerned with what other people order in a restaurant.  You want a quesadilla, go fucking nuts with it! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

On the fajita topic: Establishments that use white meat instead of thigh for their chicken fajitas should be banished to the shadow realm.

other than a schnitzel type dish, I can’t think of a single other application where white meat would be better than dark meat chicken.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Depends on the stout. I’m not a fan of Guinness Extra Stout. Chewy is a good description. Guinness Draft is heaven sent. It’s a light bodied beverage meant for drinking in mass quantities. It’s relatively low in alcohol.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, HouTex said:

Depends on the stout. I’m not a fan of Guinness Extra Stout. Chewy is a good description. Guinness Draft is heaven sent. It’s a light bodied beverage meant for drinking in mass quantities. It’s relatively low in alcohol.

Whenever someone tells me that regular Guinness is thick or chewy, I'm assuming that they've never tried one or that they were still drinking wine coolers at the time they tried it.  Like you said, Guinness is pretty light, low in alcohol, and low in calories.

That said, many American stouts are absolutely thick and chewy.  Especially any of the flavored/adjunct/barrel aged ones that beer nerds lose their mind over.

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

correct place to post this incorrect opinion.

Stouts are good all year long too.  I LOLz at mamby pambies saying they are not for summer....  fuck that.   I'll take a Buried Hatchet any day of the year.

58 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

other than a schnitzel type dish, I can’t think of a single other application where white meat would be better than dark meat chicken.