Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

44 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean, fuck OU, but they’ve dominated the big XII for almost 20 years.  hopefully herman can change that.  I doubt the program feels threatened.  maybe some twitter fans. 

The big 12 is weird. It’s basically Texas versus everyone else, due to the irrational envy and hatred, and all the other teams feel comfortable with Oklahoma basically being their Players’ Champ.  

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It doesn't matter who ou gets on the defensive side of the ball, they'll end up sucking when all is said and done. 

they had an all-time historically bad defense last year and still won the conference. they’ve won 12 bigXII titles since 2000.  even our fucking heyday of VY and colt only produced two championships, one for each of them.  at some point we have to start winning more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

The big 12 is weird. It’s basically Texas versus everyone else, due to the irrational envy and hatred, and all the other teams feel comfortable with Oklahoma basically being their Players’ Champ.  

I've felt this way forever. The entire conference is aggy in that way; "as long as it ain't Texas, we don't care if we're consistently dominated by someone else"

1 minute ago, Eternal Noob said:

I've felt this way forever. The entire conference is aggy in that way; "as long as it ain't Texas, we don't care if we're consistently dominated by someone else"

Ditto except for okie lite as they hate ou as much as we do. Honestly think that was why everyone got aggy nicknames (sand aggy, bible aggy, corn aggy, etc.)

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

they had an all-time historically bad defense last year and still won the conference. they’ve won 12 bigXII titles since 2000.  even our fucking heyday of VY and colt only produced two championships, one for each of them.  at some point we have to start winning more. 

And we will. We don't have pussy ass Mack running this team. Herman wants to win the conference and doesn't have some orange slice faggotry (NTTAWWT) shit excuses. We were damn near close in year two. Herman is making sure we have a complete team on both sides of the ball. I think we win the conference this coming season. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Unfortunately, the idiotic Big 12 Championship game is going to continue to be a fucking Texas-OU rematch for the foreseeable future. We will need to beat those sister fuckers twice, which is very fucking difficult. 

We only have to beat them in Arlington. Which is sad because it decreases the importance of Dallas.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

We only have to beat them in Arlington. Which is sad because it decreases the importance of Dallas.

Yep, in addition to the inanity of a championship game after a full round robin, the Big 12 is devaluing its most watched, most valuable game of the year.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I’ve recently been in contact with a couple of my sources.  I’m told that the silent may announce today but there is an equal chance he announces at another time in between today and NSD2 2020.  please be respectful of this delicate info, I don’t want to burn my sources. 

Is he waiting for hamm to make him a commitment video?

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’ve recently been in contact with a couple of my sources.  I’m told that the silent may announce today but there is an equal chance he announces at another time in between today and NSD2 2020.  please be respectful of this delicate info, I don’t want to burn my sources. 

I don’t respect your decision.

Here's OB's recruiting notes from yesterday. They never said anything about the silent going public yesterday so idk where tfloss got that. 

Spoiler

I'll have more detailed reports in the coming days, but some quick-hitter overviews from today's Junior Day ....

[IMG]

Obviously, the big news of the day was the commitment of Rivals100 member Mookie Cooper. The St. Louis Trinity Catholic standout said he had an idea coming to town that he would commit but it really hit him when he got to campus yesterday. He told Bryan Carrington last night that he was committing and then made it official today by committing to Tom Herman. Cooper said he’ll play more of a slot receiver/H-back role where he can make plays as a receiver or out of the backfield. When asked who he’d compare his game to, he mentioned none other than former UT commitment Rondale Moore, who had a great freshman year at Purdue in 2018. Cooper said he plans to recruit Ja’Quinden Jackson and Mikey Henderson.

[IMG]

Rivals100 S Bryson Washington got a lot of time with the coaches. They talked to him about how he’d be used, how they use a lot of 6-DB sets. He got some time with Tom Herman and Craig Naivar and both made a strong impression. He’s still going through his options but said Texas remains high on his list. I told him UT fans were hoping he might commit this weekend and he just smiled, said he’s still working through the process. He was thinking of deciding in July but said he may push that back. He’s visiting OU on February 23 and might go to LSU on Monday. He did say Texas is recruiting him harder than any other school.

Rivals250 DE Jason Harris said it was a really good visit overall and he liked meeting the coaches. Said it felt like a family environment and he had a great time overall. Keeping an open mind … planning to visit OU, Texas A&M and UCLA. He got to Austin last night and said he likes everything he’s seen of the UT program. He doesn’t have a list of favorites but said he likes Texas a lot. He’s also a very good basketball player and said the idea of him playing both sports did come up today.

2021 DE Ja’Tavion Sanders picked up an offer. The Denton Ryan standout said it was a big offer because all his family is die-hard Texas fans. Texas Tech is actually recruiting him as tight end. Said he’s pretty open, will visit OU next weekend.

Another good visit for Manor DE Princely Umanmielen, who has been on campus a bunch over the last month. Umanmielen said Texas remains high on his list, but he does want to continue to take things at a slow pace. He wants to commit sometime over the summer. He’ll visit OU later this month. Texas and OU are the top two. Arizona and A&M also being strongly considered.

[IMG]

2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye is only a sophomore but man, does this dude look the part (6-4, 255). Also a high academic kid. Consider me impressed. He said the highlights were talking to the coaches and the players. He feels he gets a really good read from the players because they’re very honest. He talked to Peter Mpagi and Moro Ojomo today, who told him Texas is a great place but it’s not for everybody if they don’t want to work.

[IMG]

2021 OL Tommy Brockermeyer said he liked seeing the facilities, talking to the coaches and seeing the plans for facility upgrades. It’s early for him but he said Texas is “obviously up there.” He mentioned schools like Michigan, OU and TCU that are also recruiting him hard. Brockermeyer obviously gets asked about his dad, former UT all-American Blake Brockermeyer, a lot, but he said he’s kind of trying to create a name for himself … not by going to another school, more with his play on the field. Brockermeyer spoke very highly of Herb Hand and the job he’s done in Austin in his short time with the program. He’s taking the process slowly but said a few times that Texas is definitely high on his list. Another guy that definitely looks the part.

[IMG]

Pearland Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford said he likes Texas a lot and has some ties at UT, including friendships with Anthony Cook and Jordan Whittington. He said Texas really showed him a lot of love and told him he’s high on their board. Feels he’s versatile enough that he could play at nickel or either safety spot. He’s taking his time with the process and said he doesn’t plan on deciding until National Signing Day of 2020. Along with Texas, he mentioned schools like LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan and A&M as schools high on his list. He’ll visit LSU on Monday and should be hitting Georgia and Alabama soon as well.

[IMG]

Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston doesn’t do many interviews so it was good to talk to him. He said Texas actually offered him about a month ago. He’d been on campus with former Temple teammate Jared Wiley, but said he got a much more personalized visit this time. Johnston said UT would be in his top five. Baylor, TCU, OU and Kansas were others that would probably be in there right now. He likes the atmosphere at Texas, likes that it’s close to home and said he felt at home when he visited today.

Texas offered WR Javian Hester, who came in with fellow Oklahoma standouts Sevion Morrison (RB) and Myles Slusher (DB). Hester said he loved what he saw and he likes how Texas uses big receivers. All three of the Oklahoma guys want to play together in college so that’s something to watch. Texas has offered Slusher and Hester. Morrison said he had a good visit overall but he hasn’t been offered at this point. Slusher said he plans to get back to Austin sometime in the spring. Texas is recruiting him as a safety.

[IMG]

2021 WR Shadrach Banks (North Shore shirt above) said he had a good time on the visit. What was different this time? “Every other time I came, I didn’t have an offer.” He’s up to 27 total offers. He’s going to graduate early so he’d like to commit next summer. He’s planning to visit Oregon sometime in March and said he’ll probably visit OU soon as well. Texas is very high on his list.

2021 WR Latrell Neville said he spent a lot of time with Drew Mehringer, Corby Meekins and Rashaad Samples. “(They) spent a lot of time together and broke down film. I enjoyed myself so much. Words can’t explain.” Neville said Texas would be in his top three along with Ohio State and LSU. He’ll visit LSU this weekend. 

021 QB Preston Stone said he had a good visit and got to meet a lot of the coaches. He also spent some time meeting with Tom Herman, who stressed that he’s really interested in Stone going to Texas. Stone went to a position meeting, where Tim Beck was preaching what it means to be a Texas quarterback. Stone said he plans to narrow his list down to about 10 schools soon.

Texas A&M offensive line commitment Smart Chibuzo is massive … in a good way. He didn’t want to say much about the visit but said he had a good time overall. But he also maintained that he’s still solidly committed to A&M. He said the Texas coaches were really cool and that’s what stood out. We’ll see if Texas can chip away here … good-looking player.

[IMG]

Texas extended an offer to Aldine MacArthur DB Joshua Eaton. The Texas coaches told him they like his size and his ball skills. He said getting the UT offer was big for him. Texas is in the top five when he drops his list in the fall. He didn’t know of any other schools that will for sure be in there. He doesn’t want to commit until National Signing Day of 2020.

The player panel included guys like Sam Ehlinger, Brandon Jones and Bru McCoy. There was a parent panel that included Ehlinger’s mother, Byron Hobbs’ mother (mUTha hustla) and Marquez Bimage’s dad.

Texas will host more recruits on Sunday. Word I heard today was anywhere from about 12-20 guys will be on campus on Sunday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Here's OB's recruiting notes from yesterday. They never said anything about the silent going public yesterday so idk where tfloss got that. 

Reveal hidden contents

I'll have more detailed reports in the coming days, but some quick-hitter overviews from today's Junior Day ....

[IMG]

Obviously, the big news of the day was the commitment of Rivals100 member Mookie Cooper. The St. Louis Trinity Catholic standout said he had an idea coming to town that he would commit but it really hit him when he got to campus yesterday. He told Bryan Carrington last night that he was committing and then made it official today by committing to Tom Herman. Cooper said he’ll play more of a slot receiver/H-back role where he can make plays as a receiver or out of the backfield. When asked who he’d compare his game to, he mentioned none other than former UT commitment Rondale Moore, who had a great freshman year at Purdue in 2018. Cooper said he plans to recruit Ja’Quinden Jackson and Mikey Henderson.

[IMG]

Rivals100 S Bryson Washington got a lot of time with the coaches. They talked to him about how he’d be used, how they use a lot of 6-DB sets. He got some time with Tom Herman and Craig Naivar and both made a strong impression. He’s still going through his options but said Texas remains high on his list. I told him UT fans were hoping he might commit this weekend and he just smiled, said he’s still working through the process. He was thinking of deciding in July but said he may push that back. He’s visiting OU on February 23 and might go to LSU on Monday. He did say Texas is recruiting him harder than any other school.

Rivals250 DE Jason Harris said it was a really good visit overall and he liked meeting the coaches. Said it felt like a family environment and he had a great time overall. Keeping an open mind … planning to visit OU, Texas A&M and UCLA. He got to Austin last night and said he likes everything he’s seen of the UT program. He doesn’t have a list of favorites but said he likes Texas a lot. He’s also a very good basketball player and said the idea of him playing both sports did come up today.

2021 DE Ja’Tavion Sanders picked up an offer. The Denton Ryan standout said it was a big offer because all his family is die-hard Texas fans. Texas Tech is actually recruiting him as tight end. Said he’s pretty open, will visit OU next weekend.

Another good visit for Manor DE Princely Umanmielen, who has been on campus a bunch over the last month. Umanmielen said Texas remains high on his list, but he does want to continue to take things at a slow pace. He wants to commit sometime over the summer. He’ll visit OU later this month. Texas and OU are the top two. Arizona and A&M also being strongly considered.

[IMG]

2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye is only a sophomore but man, does this dude look the part (6-4, 255). Also a high academic kid. Consider me impressed. He said the highlights were talking to the coaches and the players. He feels he gets a really good read from the players because they’re very honest. He talked to Peter Mpagi and Moro Ojomo today, who told him Texas is a great place but it’s not for everybody if they don’t want to work.

[IMG]

2021 OL Tommy Brockermeyer said he liked seeing the facilities, talking to the coaches and seeing the plans for facility upgrades. It’s early for him but he said Texas is “obviously up there.” He mentioned schools like Michigan, OU and TCU that are also recruiting him hard. Brockermeyer obviously gets asked about his dad, former UT all-American Blake Brockermeyer, a lot, but he said he’s kind of trying to create a name for himself … not by going to another school, more with his play on the field. Brockermeyer spoke very highly of Herb Hand and the job he’s done in Austin in his short time with the program. He’s taking the process slowly but said a few times that Texas is definitely high on his list. Another guy that definitely looks the part.

[IMG]

Pearland Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford said he likes Texas a lot and has some ties at UT, including friendships with Anthony Cook and Jordan Whittington. He said Texas really showed him a lot of love and told him he’s high on their board. Feels he’s versatile enough that he could play at nickel or either safety spot. He’s taking his time with the process and said he doesn’t plan on deciding until National Signing Day of 2020. Along with Texas, he mentioned schools like LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan and A&M as schools high on his list. He’ll visit LSU on Monday and should be hitting Georgia and Alabama soon as well.

[IMG]

Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston doesn’t do many interviews so it was good to talk to him. He said Texas actually offered him about a month ago. He’d been on campus with former Temple teammate Jared Wiley, but said he got a much more personalized visit this time. Johnston said UT would be in his top five. Baylor, TCU, OU and Kansas were others that would probably be in there right now. He likes the atmosphere at Texas, likes that it’s close to home and said he felt at home when he visited today.

Texas offered WR Javian Hester, who came in with fellow Oklahoma standouts Sevion Morrison (RB) and Myles Slusher (DB). Hester said he loved what he saw and he likes how Texas uses big receivers. All three of the Oklahoma guys want to play together in college so that’s something to watch. Texas has offered Slusher and Hester. Morrison said he had a good visit overall but he hasn’t been offered at this point. Slusher said he plans to get back to Austin sometime in the spring. Texas is recruiting him as a safety.

[IMG]

2021 WR Shadrach Banks (North Shore shirt above) said he had a good time on the visit. What was different this time? “Every other time I came, I didn’t have an offer.” He’s up to 27 total offers. He’s going to graduate early so he’d like to commit next summer. He’s planning to visit Oregon sometime in March and said he’ll probably visit OU soon as well. Texas is very high on his list.

2021 WR Latrell Neville said he spent a lot of time with Drew Mehringer, Corby Meekins and Rashaad Samples. “(They) spent a lot of time together and broke down film. I enjoyed myself so much. Words can’t explain.” Neville said Texas would be in his top three along with Ohio State and LSU. He’ll visit LSU this weekend. 

021 QB Preston Stone said he had a good visit and got to meet a lot of the coaches. He also spent some time meeting with Tom Herman, who stressed that he’s really interested in Stone going to Texas. Stone went to a position meeting, where Tim Beck was preaching what it means to be a Texas quarterback. Stone said he plans to narrow his list down to about 10 schools soon.

Texas A&M offensive line commitment Smart Chibuzo is massive … in a good way. He didn’t want to say much about the visit but said he had a good time overall. But he also maintained that he’s still solidly committed to A&M. He said the Texas coaches were really cool and that’s what stood out. We’ll see if Texas can chip away here … good-looking player.

[IMG]

Texas extended an offer to Aldine MacArthur DB Joshua Eaton. The Texas coaches told him they like his size and his ball skills. He said getting the UT offer was big for him. Texas is in the top five when he drops his list in the fall. He didn’t know of any other schools that will for sure be in there. He doesn’t want to commit until National Signing Day of 2020.

The player panel included guys like Sam Ehlinger, Brandon Jones and Bru McCoy. There was a parent panel that included Ehlinger’s mother, Byron Hobbs’ mother (mUTha hustla) and Marquez Bimage’s dad.

Texas will host more recruits on Sunday. Word I heard today was anywhere from about 12-20 guys will be on campus on Sunday.

Brockermeyer’s comments are hilarious. He’s going to Texas.

Since it looks like Quentin Johnson is going to be a priority and has a decent chance of being in this class it’s probably worth noting that as a sophomore he went to state in high jump, plays on their basketball team and in his first game last year had 5 TD catches. I assume we are using the Collin Johnson angle with Quentin?  

Edited by Newy25

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Since it looks like Quentin Johnson is going to be a priority and has a decent chance of being in this class it’s probably worth noting that as a sophomore he went to state in high jump, plays on their basketball team and in his first game last year had 5 TD catches. I assume we are using the Colling Johnson angle with Quentin?  

Omeire and Wilson are also priorities.  I'm guessing we'll take 2.

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Since it looks like Quentin Johnson is going to be a priority and has a decent chance of being in this class it’s probably worth noting that as a sophomore he went to state in high jump, plays on their basketball team and in his first game last year had 5 TD catches. I assume we are using the Colling Johnson angle with Quentin?  

His former QB Jared Wiley is at Texas. That’s a nice angle too. 

10 hours ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

Sorry I meant to ask why they are not being recruited by ou and osu.  Seems strange for really good in state players not being a priority for in state major programs 

The state of Oklahoma produces so little elite talent.  I suspect that even when there is a comparable in-state player, the OU staff would rather keep an OOS talent pipeline open than take a kid from a school they won't recruit again for 20 years, if ever.  It's a terrible way to represent their state but there's little downside to snubbing the HS coaches and players in Oklahoma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5038564

Due to the enormity of your source I will respect it.  I definitely wouldn’t want you to burn it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Apparently St.Louis kids aren’t fans of Mizzou. https://www.secrant.com/rant/mizzou-sports/2020-football-recruiting/82010114/

That Area has been abused by Ohio State. Tom probably saw opportunity there for Texas as well.

Interesting.  With Urban gone, Day may be the head coach but not the obvious heir to Meyer's success at tOSU.  Frankly, Tom Herman has just as good a claim as Ryan Day.

7 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Apparently St.Louis kids aren’t fans of Mizzou. https://www.secrant.com/rant/mizzou-sports/2020-football-recruiting/82010114/

That Area has been abused by Ohio State. Tom probably saw opportunity there for Texas as well.

Mizzou fans has taken to the SEC quite nicely. That reads almost exactly like an Aggy board. Butthurt, calls to boycott an entire city, not SEC good, Mookie isn't that good, Trinity isn't that good and doesn't play anybody. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mizzou fans has taken to the SEC quite nicely. That reads almost exactly like an Aggy board. Butthurt, calls to boycott an entire city, not SEC good, Mookie isn't that good, Trinity isn't that good and doesn't play anybody. 

My favorite post from that link. Taking about Washington and Mookie 

“Both could have been on the two deep as freshman at Missouri”

This guy thinks there’s people on Mizzou starting team better than Mookie right now. That’s the level of delusion he’s working with. 

32 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Interesting.  With Urban gone, Day may be the head coach but not the obvious heir to Meyer's success at tOSU.  Frankly, Tom Herman has just as good a claim as Ryan Day.

I don’t feel tOSU on the recruiting trail nearly as much as I did two years ago. It seemed like they were coming after everyone and winning a good portion. Outside of Wilson the Ohio native last cycle, I feel like we have closed off that pipeline for the most part. JT Barrett handing off to JK Dobbins made me ragey. Aggy on the upswing and OU recruiting well has helped. Now we just need to kneecap the annual Stanford OL1 thievery and we will be in business. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My favorite post from that link. Taking about Washington and Mookie 

“Both could have been on the two deep as freshman at Missouri”

This guy thinks there’s people on Mizzou starting team better than Mookie right now. That’s the level of delusion he’s working with. 

Mookie would probably start in the slot at Mizzou. 

Larry Rountree is a really good RB. If he ever wants to transfer because of the sanctions,  Texas should be all over him. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

48 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Day has no claim to the success of tOSU , and most tOSU fans will reluctantly admit that they don't win it all in 2014 with out Herman.

I don’t feel tOSU on the recruiting trail nearly as much as I did two years ago. It seemed like they were coming after everyone and winning a good portion. Outside of Wilson the Ohio native last cycle, I feel like we have closed off that pipeline for the most part. JT Barrett handing off to JK Dobbins made me ragey. Aggy on the upswing and OU recruiting well has helped. Now we just need to kneecap the annual Stanford OL1 thievery and we will be in business. 

Hiring their best Texas recruiter helped

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

One poster said that per OB, they would announce last night. Another poster came on and said no one from OB claimed it would happen last night, unless I missed a tie-breaker. Otherwise lets just assume we are back to Monday. 

Several times last cycle, word came out that a kid was announcing on a Monday or Tuesday, and it didn't end up dropping until Wednesday or Thursday