Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

Spoiler

Key notes from Billy Liucci interview

• You read what I said yesterday. I thought that it had to be yesterday at practice when they started to shift those reps. Haynes King has been the guy. Zach Calzada's improvement level has been pretty phenomenal, and he's probably one of the five most-improved players on the team.

• King won the backup job as a true freshman, and Haynes has done nothing but improve and get better. His mastery of the offense is impressive, and how quickly he learned it turned a lot of heads in Bright.

• It was going to take a Herculean effort by Calzada or Haynes to struggle in camp to keep King from being the quarterback. That never happened with Haynes. Over the last couple of weeks, he has gotten better. That culminated in Sunday's scrimmage in which Haynes was really good, and Calzada threw a pick-six to Jaylon Jones. I don't think there is anybody in that locker room that would disagree with this decision. He has done what he needed to do as QB2 since Kellen Mond left.

• When they're wearing those green jerseys, and you see King run 4.5s, there is just another element you can add to the offense. That is a tantalizing aspect of his game that Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey can't wait to see when Kent State and Colorado roll around.

• I think it was close but obvious who the guy was at the same time. Day-to-day, King performs. I don't think just because King can run better — and that's such a threat — was the differentiating factor. I thought it would be difficult for Zach to overcome that if they were dead even. I don't think this decision got to the point where they were dead even. What I'm trying to say is that King has played really well over the last couple of weeks.

• Think about why Jimbo Fisher is saying this today. There are three practices before “game week.” It only hurts you to not let the starting quarterback get those extra reps with the first team. If you weren't going to make the announcement this week, then it wasn't going to happen.

• The bottom line is that Haynes played like the #1 quarterback. The questions that are being asked are valid, but it's not as big of a deal as what happens next. He's the guy now. Jimbo says that the players and the team pick the quarterback. They'll let you know. That has always been Haynes, and that's one of his strengths. I think people are going to see his leadership this year. I've compared him to Colt McCoy from that standpoint, but he's way faster. The guys love him. He has that thing about him that you want a quarterback to have.

• Calzada's reaction is important because he's the only other scholarship quarterback on campus. Eli Stowers has moved to tight end, and I'm sure he could be an emergency quarterback if need be. It's important for Calzada to handle this well. I don't think he's sitting there thinking he got robbed. I think Haynes won the job fair and square. Zach was given every shot and knows the situation.

• Calzada still has three years of eligibility after this season. I don't think the word "transfer" is in his vocabulary, and he's one play away from being the starting quarterback in the SEC West for a top-ten football team. I think he understands that he can worry about all of that after this season. Right now, I think he's focused on being the backup quarterback.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents
  •  
  • When they're wearing those green jerseys, and you see King run 4.5s, there is just another element you can add to the offense. That is a tantalizing aspect of his game that Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey can't wait to see when Kent State and Colorado roll around.

They keep beating home this "4.5" speed of King's (queue Jennifer Lawrence yea ok gif). They really think Jimbo is excited to see this "tantalizing aspect of his game"? The same coach that said a QB running means he doesn't understand the playbook enough? Yea ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

They keep beating home this "4.5" speed of King's (queue Jennifer Lawrence yea ok gif). They really think Jimbo is excited to see this "tantalizing aspect of his game"? The same coach that said a QB running means he doesn't understand the playbook enough? Yea ok.

Ironically Mond running saved them a lot last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Noog said:

It is not gonna be about King or Calzada.  A&M has 3 good OL (Kenyon, Aki, & Robinson).  One good if he wasn't always hurt OL (Mathews).  The journeyman 6th year transfer from Tennessee (Johnson).  And 2 top prospects who probably aren't ready in Foster and Fatheree.  Foster is probably closer to ready physically, but I think in a couple years Fatheree is going to be excellent.  Do not get the guys who don't think he is a real talent.  Wycoff looks good for a true freshman as well.  But OL, especially LT & C is not where top end true freshmen excel.  Better hope for 2 unicorns, unlikely.

If Henson gets 5 of them ready, they will win 10 or 11 games.  If not, A&M will need at least 2 QB's.   

What has Matthews done to show that he’s good? You’re assuming he is because his last name is Matthews, but as far as I can tell, that’s all he has shown. He’s never even been a threat to start unless I’ve missed something.

Y’all always give your team the benefit of the doubt and it never pans out the way all of you believe it will, hence the roller coaster and the claims of being a traditional power program. <PriceisRight fail horn>

17 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I watched several of King's HS games his last two years. I said then that I thought he was a good game manager who could excel in A&M's system (before he was ever talking to them), but he is not a dynamic playmaker in and of himself. He was their football Point Guard as a junior, when he had terrific players around him. He was pretty pedestrian when he was asked to carry the offense. And I don't really believe he runs a 4.45. 

And I will add: once the green jersey comes off, King may end up as a grease spot. He's not exactly solidly built.

i get where you are coming from on his time and i have no clue on the 4.45 but he ran a 4.50 laser timed 40 at The Opening Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

What has Matthews done to show that he’s good? You’re assuming he is because his last name is Matthews, but as far as I can tell, that’s all he has shown. He’s never even been a threat to start unless I’ve missed something.

Y’all always give your team the benefit of the doubt and it never pans out the way all of you believe it will, hence the roller coaster and the claims of being a traditional power program. <PriceisRight fail horn>

You are 100% right on Matthews. I stand corrected.  Who knows if he can play?  And I doubt we ever know.  He is always hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Same source that told him Aki Ogunbiyi was good. Pretty sure he’s the same kid that “decommitted” aka processed from Georgia that wanted in our class that year. Even Hand passed on him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

If he runs a 4.45, why isn't Luigi comparing King to Johnny 8 ball?  Or maybe King is a closer comp to Dustin Long, the McCown boys, and Bucky Richardson.  Or maybe the kid from Burnet that thought it was smart to talk shit after getting molly whopped by a linebacker.  

Bucky sounds about right. Great athlete. Zero arm talent. 

On 8/25/2021 at 1:59 AM, golfclap said:

LT - Kenyon Green (consensus 2020 All American, 23 starts at guard)

LG - Aki Ogunbiyi (former four star)

C - Luke Matthews (father is NFL Hall of Famer Bruce, brothers include multiple A&M starters)

RG - Layden Robinson (road grader body)

RT - Jahmir Johnson (17 starts at Tennessee in three seasons)

I love this sunshine description of their theoretical best o line and why they're supposed to be good.

LT: Consensus all American... At a different position.

LG: He was good in high school.

😄 C Umm.... His family was really good.

RG: Shoot this is getting hard, we need to say something...ummm... This dude big.

RT: Started at a school that was a dumpster fire.

Edited by TheBryMan81

12 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

If he runs a 4.45, why isn't Luigi comparing King to Johnny 8 ball?  Or maybe King is a closer comp to Dustin Long, the McCown boys, and Bucky Richardson.  Or maybe the kid from Burnet that thought it was smart to talk shit after getting molly whopped by a linebacker.  

because JFF ran a 4.68 not a 4.45? lol

Something to note regarding the QB situation at ATM - word is that Calzada is a straight up pot head. Dude had Ivy League offers and is allegedly very bright, so that’s surprising. Anyway, the competition wasn’t actually all that heated and there’s good reason to believe there isn’t enough ambition for this guy to be headed anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Something to note regarding the QB situation at ATM - word is that Calzada is a straight up pot head. Dude had Ivy League offers and is allegedly very bright, so that’s surprising. Anyway, the competition wasn’t actually all that heated and there’s good reason to believe there isn’t enough ambition for this guy to be headed anywhere. 

Would explain the inaccuracy 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

as a reminder for everyone this is their QB room:

JkUiyoZO

and with THAT QB room, they moved stowers to TE lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

LT: Master assassin and professional thief. Never turn your back on him.

LG: Iron jaw and fastest hands on the planet. He will fuck you up.

C : Super human strength. His whole vocabulary consists of one word, “Matthews.”

RG: Philosopher, poet, warrior…also gay.

RT: This guy is all business all the time. Vibrates through walls, can burrow underground.

Definitely the iPhone of OL’s.

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think most of us would become pot heads if we ended up in The Station.

Huge Mistake GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

you'd think that'd be dangerous in brazos county, but then he is white so...

LT: Master assassin and professional thief. Never turn your back on him.
LG: Iron jaw and fastest hands on the planet. He will fuck you up.
C : Super human strength. His whole vocabulary consists of one word, “Matthews.”
RG: Philosopher, poet, warrior…also gay.
RT: This guy is all business all the time. Vibrates through walls, can burrow underground.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Once you let King Ketamine right back on the team, driving with an invalid license [and drugs, weapons, and Failure to Identify a Fugitive] isn't going to mean shit.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We going to gloss over the drugs and weapon?

Furk, my reading comprehension has not been on point this morning. And Failure to Identify a Fugitive is a fun bingo square to check off.

Point still kind of stands, though.

Edited by texifornia

20 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

King is a game manager. I have seen nothing more than that from him. Manziel ran like Sonic the Hedgehog. Bucky Richardson was tough. I don't believe King can be very tough without gaining a good bit of muscle, then he probably wouldn't be that fast.

I think Jimbo's system suits the kid, but I don't really think he'll be dynamic. He'll probably be better than Kellen Mond, mainly because he's a better passer.

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

To be fair - they’re dropping bags for a couple of 5 Star DL. 

Seems improbable given recent history on the field, but it’s worth watching Tennessee in Nolen’s recruitment. He moved to a suburb of Knoxville, and you should never underestimate Rodney Garner when he gets his hooks into a DL recruit. 

12 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Seems improbable given recent history on the field, but it’s worth watching Tennessee in Nolen’s recruitment. He moved to a suburb of Knoxville, and you should never underestimate Rodney Garner when he gets his hooks into a DL recruit. 

Didn't they pay big money for Dindy and Bear?