Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Getafix said:

- Roach putting in a Texas crystal ball prediction for Moore

- He feels good about his November Texas CB for Jelani McDonald

IT just said Texas will not have room for McDonald unless something changes in the next 48 hours.

So Texas and TCU appear to be passing on him.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT just said Texas will not have room for McDonald unless something changes in the next 48 hours.

So Texas and TCU appear to be passing on him.

Just watched his highlights. Interesting player. He is playing Qb for his school. He is clearly a good athlete. He can be an excellent player, but hard to project at what position. Kind of kid I understand passing on now and  circling back on in 2/3 years in the portal. I wonder if the portal changes the calculus for kids like this. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just watched his highlights. Interesting player. He is playing Qb for his school. He is clearly a good athlete. He can be an excellent player, but hard to project at what position. Kind of kid I understand passing on now and  circling back on in 2/3 years in the portal. I wonder if the portal changes the calculus for kids like this. 

Or we could take him then tell him to get in the fucking thing later on. The numbers.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Or we could take him then tell him to get in the fucking thing later on. The numbers.

Yeah.  I see portal working out this way.  Take more of the high risk, high reward out of HS.

1) If they don't work out, easy to process.

2) If they do work out elsewhere, there's no guarantee they'd be available in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  I see portal working out this way.  Take more of the high risk, high reward out of HS.

1) If they don't work out, easy to process.

2) If they do work out elsewhere, there's no guarantee they'd be available in the portal. 

I am wondering if it is the opposite. Processing kids has always been available. Do you take a kid like this, that probably has a long development curve, or would you rather save a spot for the portal. Managing the portal is going to affect a lot of kids. Coaches are going to have to save spots for the winter period and at lest a couple spots for after spring camp. Coaches will take chances on premium positions, but he seems more of an ILB/Safety type. There are lots of those kids in the portal. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t understand how this kid can be that criminally underrated by the recruiting services. 

it's a weird situation with Mitchell, ESPN is the highest on him. 247 is super low (wish we knew why) - Rivals must have some funky reporting if he's somehow the #17 DE but maybe they have EDGE in it's own category? I don't care to look honestly.

image.png.510fb76961c6700781420970d8cb051d.png

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's a weird situation with Mitchell, ESPN is the highest on him. 247 is super low (wish we knew why) - Rivals must have some funky reporting if he's somehow the #17 DE but maybe they have EDGE in it's own category? I don't care to look honestly.

Surprised On3 doesn't have him higher considering how high Gerry seems to be on him 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think McDonald is a guy that you take as an athlete period. A Mo Blackwell type with more length and range. He probably puts on a good amount of weight without losing speed, but how much determines his best position.

He’s a long curve guy though, so we probably don’t need to take on that risk. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think McDonald is a guy that you take as an athlete period. A Mo Blackwell type with more length and range. He probably puts on a good amount of weight without losing speed, but how much determines his best position.

He’s a long curve guy though, so we probably don’t need to take on that risk. 

for the record, I would be happy if Texas took him. There is clearly a lot of upside there. My comment was more of a thought on general recruiting and how the portal could be affecting kids like this (players that dont have a clear projection and project to a non-premium position)

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

Would McDonald and Akana be projected at the same position? 

Geez what a loaded question.

McDonald is being talked about for everything from CB to LB.  Splitting the difference, he is probably a nickel right now, but weight gains will determine his position more than anything.  Will LB probably makes the most sense long term.  I think most teams are recruiting him as a LB, some might see a safety.

Akana is projected as an edge, but he's probably not growing into an even front DE. Many teams are recruiting him as an off-ball LB.  We are targeting him at Buck, but we've been recruiting bigger bodies there.  His biggest upside, imo, is playing the DMO role (even front Will and odd front edge).

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

If I had to guess, it's because he only has to use his size and power against inferior competition. I'm a huge fan of this signing, but it doesn't feel like there was a lot of variance in his highlights.

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Interesting that USC isn't mentioned. They currently have one TE prospect committed.

image.thumb.png.794044299b474fcc528139ff40877b61.png

I am of the opinion that USC and UCLA are hurting themselves by going to the Big 10. I recognize that it's about money but what about the travel that the kids are going to have to deal with. Granted that every so often, Michigan and OSU will come to town but imagine having to travel to Rutgers and Penn ST. It's going to be brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1