Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Tweet is gone, but apparently:

“Big Dave” Uiagalelei, the father of Clemson quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei and Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco five-star prospect Matayo Uiagalelei, appeared to call out Clemson’s coaching staff via Twitter on Tuesday night.

Big Dave posted on Twitter, “I haven’t heard from one coach at @ClemsonFB yet. No DC, no D-Line or D-End coach. I don’t understand, do you even want Matayo ???”

Matayo, who received an offer from the Tigers on June 1, 2021 — the first day Clemson began offering recruits in the 2023 class — is ranked as the No. 2 edge defender and No. 21 overall prospect in the class according to the 247Sports Composite.

Last month, Big Dave was very blunt about what it would take for a school to land Matayo. On March 4, Big Dave indicated on Twitter that his choice would be a “business decision” not determined by which school he likes the most but rather based on the amount of name, image and likeness money being offered.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2022/04/05/big-dave-uiagalelei-appears-to-call-out-clemsons-staff/

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t been following this thread much lately but was surprised to read two items. 

First, I thought On3 just stated they think Bama now leads for Manning. Didn’t see anything on here regarding that. 

Second, Greathouse is very interested in Texas, but last I heard Texas was still a bit unsure about some things with him and that was keeping him from being a top priority at the moment. Maybe something just changed  

Bama mods start saying a few weeks ago that they think Eli Holstein is the most likely QB to end up in their class

As far as I can tell, Texas is recruiting Greathouse like a priority 

Standish Notes:

Spoiler

–Earlier today the news became public that the state's number one player for the 2023 cycle David "DJ" Hicks transferred from Allen to Katy Paetow. The first thought most Texas fans will wonder is if this impacts his recruiting decision making process, which multiple sources made clear would not be the case.

–As Mike and I have previously reported, the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder has Oklahoma and Texas A&M running one and two in his recruitment with each school jockeying for top spot while Texas is attempting to get the five-star back on campus to try and get back in the thick of the race. The Longhorns benefit from Hicks remaining consistent to his NSD1 timeline, and it should be noted that with a strong season Texas could get right back in the mix considering at the beginning of his recruitment people close to him felt like Texas would be the eventual pick. Step one of getting back to a contending position for Hicks is a strong unofficial visit over the spring and securing a official visit for the fall.

–Mike put in a quintet of crystal ball picks this morning and one that we both were in complete lockstep on was South Oak Cliff corner Jayvon Thomas to Texas A&M. I mentioned in my pre Texas Relays/Arch Madness visit weekend article that Texas would need to make a strong move to get back in the top spot for the dynamic two way athlete, but the Horns were seriously hurt by the NCAA rule that kids couldn't visit the same day they competed. Thomas couldn't make the short trip from Mike A. Myers Stadium to campus, and the next weekend made a return trip to Texas A&M. Texas does look to be in a great spot for Jordan Matthews, along with other priority corners on the board, but it would shock me if this swung back in Texas' direction.

–I talked with a couple of sources about one of the Longhorns' biggest priorities on the board that doesn't get as much publicity in Monroe (LA) Neville OL/DL Zalance Heard after the No. 145 overall prospect in the 247 Sports composite made the trip from Monroe to Austin last weekend. The 6-foot-5, 300-pounder is being recruiting as an offensive tackle by some schools while Bo Davis at Texas is his primary recruiter and wants him on the defensive line. I was told by one source that Texas could see Heard on either side of the ball and will recruit him with that flexibility in mind. The same source mentioned that Texas and LSU are setting the pace for the reserved big man from north Louisiana, while another source said that the vibe around the Neville HS staff was that Texas was by far the leader in Heard's recruitment during the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Dummy said:

–Earlier today the news became public that the state's number one player for the 2023 cycle David "DJ" Hicks transferred from Allen to Katy Paetow. The first thought most Texas fans will wonder is if this impacts his recruiting decision making process, which multiple sources made clear would not be the case.

–As Mike and I have previously reported, the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder has Oklahoma and Texas A&M running one and two in his recruitment with each school jockeying for top spot while Texas is attempting to get the five-star back on campus to try and get back in the thick of the race. The Longhorns benefit from Hicks remaining consistent to his NSD1 timeline, and it should be noted that with a strong season Texas could get right back in the mix considering at the beginning of his recruitment people close to him felt like Texas would be the eventual pick. Step one of getting back to a contending position for Hicks is a strong unofficial visit over the spring and securing a official visit for the fall.

This will turn out to be bullshit.

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t been following this thread much lately but was surprised to read two items. 

First, I thought On3 just stated they think Bama now leads for Manning. Didn’t see anything on here regarding that. 

Second, Greathouse is very interested in Texas, but last I heard Texas was still a bit unsure about some things with him and that was keeping him from being a top priority at the moment. Maybe something just changed  

On the Bama thing, I think that is recency bias. I was speaking with my Bama guy over the weekend and he mentioned something I had never noticed before. Arch has never been photographed wearing any sort of Bama gear, even while visiting campus, and his family reportedly does not like Bama very much in general. They are viewed strictly as a business decision more so than a school that he loves. That may be enough in the end, who knows, but I find it hard to believe that he ends up picking them based on that. 

On another note, one of the things the Mannings are looking for is stability. BoB and Monken are both almost guaranteed to be gone by the time Arch gets to campus as OC's. But with our setup, Sarkisian is the OC and play caller, which means it is a certainty that will continue while Arch is there and we will be in the same system that he is seeing as a recruit (provided he doesn't get himself fired for suckitude). 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

On the Bama thing, I think that is recency bias. I was speaking with my Bama guy over the weekend and he mentioned something I had never noticed before. Arch has never been photographed wearing any sort of Bama gear, even while visiting campus, and his family reportedly does not like Bama very much in general. They are viewed strictly as a business decision more so than a school that he loves. That may be enough in the end, who knows, but I find it hard to believe that he ends up picking them based on that. 

On another note, one of the things the Mannings are looking for is stability. BoB and Monken are both almost guaranteed to be gone by the time Arch gets to campus as OC's. But with our setup, Sarkisian is the OC and play caller, which means it is a certainty that will continue while Arch is there and we will be in the same system that he is seeing as a recruit (provided he doesn't get himself fired for suckitude). 

Ketch talked about this a few weeks ago on one of his YouTube videos.  UT is the only school that Arch has put on the uniform for on any of his visits.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i really like our odds :( 

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 10.07.26 AM.png

Can we all agree that the On3 NIL valuations and Prediction 'algorithms' are fucking worthless.  Maybe some day there will be enough data for NIL - but there will never be a computer that can predict the decisions of a 17year old kid.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Ketch talked about this a few weeks ago on one of his YouTube videos.  UT is the only school that Arch has put on the uniform for on any of his visits.

Yeah, this is beyond uniforms, even just a shirt or hat.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

This will turn out to be bullshit.

Hicks has been considered an aggy lean for a while now, and before Neto last year, our luck with Allen kids wasn't any better than it was with Katy kids. So I don't think it matters much, we weren't in the running either way. If OU is running second though, you'd think they'd be able to use the aggy 22 DL class against them. There's only so much playing time available.

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Internet jokes galore, maybe they should do a video on the Aggy trophy room

Don't be silly, they have national championship and jimbo fisher coach of the year trophies with 20?? as the date on them, not to mention replicas of all the bama national championship trophies, and the georgia replica is at least on order if it hasn't arrived yet.  And don't forget their class of 2022 "best class ever" recruiting trophy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s blowing up on Instagram too. Sad part is he’s not totally wrong. Better than A&Ms at least

It is because people are willfully ignorant. Eddie Reese has 15 NC and 41 Conference titles by himself. Who knows how many individual and relay champions are included in that run.  Eddie Reese makes Saban look like a flash in the pan. OF course the trophy room is going to be dominated by one of the winningest coaches in the history of college sports. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If we get Manning, I think the package deals go away. Every kid will have an excuse. Cook and Owens will say they are going to do what is best for them. It will be based on A&M’s best offer. At least DJ’s dad is being honest. Hopefully we will still get a healthy group of WRs, but I doubt it will be the ones linked to Manning now. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If we get Manning, I think the package deals go away. Every kid will have an excuse. Cook and Owens will say they are going to do what is best for them. It will be based on A&M’s best offer. At least DJ’s dad is being honest. Hopefully we will still get a healthy group of WRs, but I doubt it will be the ones linked to Manning now. 

I think the offset to this is that if we get Arch, the general willingness of BMDs to drop $$$ for NIL deals will probably be higher.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has he visited aggy yet?  This is the kid whose parents are aggy's.  I'm surprised aggy hasn't offered him.

Steve Addazio will get right on that after he's done biting some poor intern's head off for pouring him a slightly flat Diet Coke.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has he visited aggy yet?  This is the kid whose parents are aggy's.  I'm surprised aggy hasn't offered him.

Not yet. He has visited Stanford, Auburn, Texas, Florida State,  and Florida recently. (As far as I can tell from his timeline).

I would guess that he will be going to the Aggie spring game this weekend.

Edited by Jabberwocky
Added one.